Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/eleanarchy/status/1025570345510744065

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/boomerprn/status/1027696641246035968

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Can’t find it now but there’s a your son my son that’s a flag draped coffin and a guy pointing and laughing

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Me when I have a male teacher:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfkts0u-m6w&t=62s

Me when I have a female teacher:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFoRH-VtFO4

Gonna need more scientific studies to see which is better; I'm conflicted.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Another your son my son

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/johntiegen/status/1046012770792230912?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Amazing.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Steam is very reliable. We must not run our Navy on Origin, Uplay, or Games For Windows Live.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Dipping was fairly common where I grew up but that was two states where tobacco use was unusually high compared to the rest of the US.

Tried dip exactly one time in my life and the nicotine buzz and how awake I felt was frankly awesome and I didn’t feel sick, but I also knew it was a habit I did not want to pick up.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Arc Light posted:

Not many things on these dead forums still make me laugh, but godDAMN.

:same:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

im glad she exists so idiots stop trying to make that idiot chelsea manning the postergirl of the left

I feel like Manning disappeared faster than Bergdahl on a one-man patrol.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

The AP Politics one is real, I just linked the screenshot in case they decided to take it down

https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/1082857277084893184?s=19

In other news,

AP FACT CHECK: Some people are saying the mugger took that woman's purse. But it takes two to tango, she could have just given him as much money as he wanted!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
AP FACT CHECK: Some people say knocking someone down and having forcible intercourse is rape! But it takes two to tango. Rapes only occur when the non-consenting individual doesn't come to a sexual favor compromise!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/GoodBoyMachine/status/1084292828929372160

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

As Nero Danced posted:

I will never not laugh at this guy.

Any time I see one of these guys, I can't quite feel amused, because they're likely several fries short of a happy meal.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Blind Rasputin posted:

I actually wondered after seeing it if SAM missiles utilized so,e sort of flachette technology to destroy planes, if they don’t they sh ups because it looked loving rad.

Not all SAMs of course, but many have a prox fuze where they either pre-planned detonate even if they are on path to hit the aircraft directly or they sometimes have a system such that if they sense they're getting closer and closer, but then the distance widens (i.e. about to overshoot or fly past), the warhead will detonate. This is typically done in a less fantastic way than portrayed in the movie, using something like a scored/pre-cut blast-frag sleeve in the missile.

Here's an example warhead from the missile fired from a Buk (SA-11/17) system.

Here's an old video of Patriot PAC-2 family missiles doing something similar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k-pBXw9kR0

Others require an actual strike on the target to trigger detonation. The Stinger missile currently works that way, though they are being upgraded to have a proximity fuse. Stingers self-destruct after a set travel distance so as to not have supersonic javelins full of sensitive components and explosives flying blindly well beyond their intended engagement range.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
It fills me with awe. :colbert:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

:yikes:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Watched that last night; it’s very good. And way more informative than just dunking on Elon.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

donoteat is a goon and all of his civil planning stuff that he does is amazing

Noice, I had watched a few other videos, but didn't know he was a goon.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/sgtjanedoe/status/1092913712246198272?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Yeah. Some actual CSM/Officer faking awards for prestige is bullshit.

But some weird kid with mental health issues getting totally owned by the uniform regulation police in public is painful to watch.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Are you serious

But really, it seems to go from most common sense to least:

SOCOM

SOCOM, bastion of common sense.

*eyes SOCOM murders of their own people and state of the Middle East*

I think one of my favorite SOCOM encounters was listening to about an hour-long discussion about a Carrier Strike Group entering an ocean, then having a SOCOM rep stand up and say he could send a 12-man team to help by doing some reconnaissance, strikes, and raids from the shore. (The shore was hundreds of miles away and the "plan" for the exercise was to insert via parachute then blend in)

If you only meant poo poo like not flipping out over haircuts or going to a basic-rear end rifle range without being dressed like you're about to eat artillery, sure. But at least flipping out over haircuts means less free time to murder each other.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/1101971372258086912

Would really own to have such an outfit/gun for range day

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/fiverr_doula/status/1104060962464649216

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/lions_by/status/1119718085743616000?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/nickciarelli/status/1131605872612847616?s=21

Wrong thread but oh well.

Stay army of love.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Navy is godamn weird, man

Navy: Nuh uh, *changes into 6th discrete uniform of the week and retires to the ward room for the officer-only meal, but the officers have invited an enlisted to be the special guest of the evening*

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

the bullshit level is not worth the salary.

This only holds true with the specific caveat that it's not worth the salary IF the assumption (reasonably) is that a pilot exits to get a job using their pilot qualifications. USAF pilot bullshit levels are as or more cushy than other branches, and an Air Force pilot is being paid over six figure by the time they can consider exiting the service.

So it's not that the bullshit is too much for the salary. It's that they have a specific skill they can often leverage to get out.

Another USAF problem: The USAF model requires a higher than average number of pilots to stick around for 20+ years compared to your average officer in the US military. Something like 50%(!) more. That doesn't happen. They retain about 15-20% fewer pilots than the military typically retains officers of any type. So aiming for 150% retention compared with peers and achieving about 83% retention is missing the mark in a big way, even if it's not that far off from the retention seen in other jobs/branches. It's less that USAF pilots are leaving in droves and more that they aren't staying around at abnormally high rates.

The main things the USAF pilots complain about are not unique; they just have unique qualifications to help make transition out of the military easier than most. Their top complaints are things like extra duties, moving too much, disliking deployments, military bases not being nice enough, getting jobs they don't like, disliking "up or out".

Another challenge, not just for the USAF, but for retention in general in civilian and military life: People are not that reliable in answering with what would keep them around or make them happy in a poll. It's not that they're dishonest; it's that people sometimes just really don't understand what's motivating them to either stay or go.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Casimir Radon posted:

What percentage of then decide they didn't want to serve their country that bad when things didn't go their way?

The Navy has a rather low reenlistment rate for first-termers.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

The goal is 65% retention. It's been in the 40s. And for a lot of people, it is absolutely the bullshit. I know a lot of pilots who do not fly professionally anymore. Neither of the pilots I commissioned with are still flying. One of the big things is that by the time you hit the halfway point in that commitment is that you're not flying much. You've got an excellent chance of being a classroom instructor, at a joint/exchange position, a paperpusher as a staff peon in a gig that probably doesn't count on your record as a staff job, a flight commander who spends most of his time reading OPR/award/dec/disciplinary paperwork, etc. And it doesn't revert, ever. Unless you end up in a highly-coveted job like teaching at the Weapons School or being in an aggressor squadron, you will fly less with every year after you've been a captain for a bit. In my career field, once you hit a certain number of hours, you only got to fly half as much. If you went to an exercise where you flew a bunch, you could expect to NOT fly at all until your currency was in jeopardy. Most pilots that I've known over the years joined the Air Force to be pilots. That's not the company line but it's the truth. When you replace all that pilot poo poo with the poo poo everyone hates, and you find yourself out of town for 2-3 weeks every other month between 6-12 month deployments and your kids don't know who you are, it takes its toll. And it's a cost that can rarely be repaid with a bonus. Part of the problem is the shortfall itself...being undermanned consistently means the remaining people have to pick up the slack, which burns them out, which pushes them out, and it cycles again.

Airlines hiring pilots away from the military is one piece of the puzzle and it's a big part of why the problem has gotten worse in the past few years, but even in years of slow hires, the AF hasn't been able to get folks to stay. I'm not sure retention rates have been at desired levels since the AF was roughly cut in half in the 90s.

Right, so the problem with USAF officer retention sounds almost identical to the problem with all officer retention except for a few things:

-USAF wants to retain 50% more pilot officers than other branches/jobs have to retain officers, which is quite a hurdle to try to achieve.
-Pilots have a skill that make it a bit easier to transition, which contributes to only about 82% as many pilots sticking around compared with non-pilots. A shortfall, but not drastic except for the 150% of average retention goal model.
-I cannot imagine that the resultant high promotion rates help. Sure, it means if you stick around, you'll almost definitely get promoted. It also means there's a fair chance your O-4/O-5/O-6 boss is just the guy who stuck around. USAF O-4 promotios are essentially 100% (last year, it took affirmative action NOT to promote), promotion to O-5 is above 70%, promotion to O-6 sits north of 50%. Good for progression odds, but also means your boss may be an idiot or jerk or lazy person who just managed to hang on. Comparatively, in the Army right now, maybe 7 of 10 CPTs make Major, 2 of 3 Majors make Lieutenant Colonel, and 40-50% of Lieutenant Colonels will make Colonel. The O-5 to O-6 numbers are, of course, pretty inflated, because tons of people retire at O-5, because they know ahead of time that they aren't competitive for O-6 and get out.

So on top of the problems that every branch in the US faces with officer retention, you have a select group where the goal is to keep 50% more in service than is typical, they have a special skill, and only 82% as many stick around compared with other career fields. As a result you basically have to just stick around and not gently caress it up to be promoted to pretty senior positions, which I assume also contributes to the frustration among more junior officers or mid-grade officers (O-4) who have to deal with everyday bullshit on top of having officers who weren't selected from among the best, but instead from among those who stuck around.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

The goal is 65% retention. It's been in the 40s. And for a lot of people, it is absolutely the bullshit. I know a lot of pilots who do not fly professionally anymore. Neither of the pilots I commissioned with are still flying. One of the big things is that by the time you hit the halfway point in that commitment is that you're not flying much. You've got an excellent chance of being a classroom instructor, at a joint/exchange position, a paperpusher as a staff peon in a gig that probably doesn't count on your record as a staff job, a flight commander who spends most of his time reading OPR/award/dec/disciplinary paperwork, etc. And it doesn't revert, ever. Unless you end up in a highly-coveted job like teaching at the Weapons School or being in an aggressor squadron, you will fly less with every year after you've been a captain for a bit. In my career field, once you hit a certain number of hours, you only got to fly half as much. If you went to an exercise where you flew a bunch, you could expect to NOT fly at all until your currency was in jeopardy. Most pilots that I've known over the years joined the Air Force to be pilots. That's not the company line but it's the truth. When you replace all that pilot poo poo with the poo poo everyone hates, and you find yourself out of town for 2-3 weeks every other month between 6-12 month deployments and your kids don't know who you are, it takes its toll. And it's a cost that can rarely be repaid with a bonus. Part of the problem is the shortfall itself...being undermanned consistently means the remaining people have to pick up the slack, which burns them out, which pushes them out, and it cycles again.

Airlines hiring pilots away from the military is one piece of the puzzle and it's a big part of why the problem has gotten worse in the past few years, but even in years of slow hires, the AF hasn't been able to get folks to stay. I'm not sure retention rates have been at desired levels since the AF was roughly cut in half in the 90s.

Right, so the problem with USAF officer retention sounds almost identical to the problem with all officer retention except for a few things:

-USAF wants to retain 50% more pilot officers than other branches/jobs have to retain officers, which is quite a hurdle to try to achieve.
-Pilots have a skill that make it a bit easier to transition, which contributes to only about 82% as many pilots sticking around compared with non-pilots. A shortfall, but not drastic except for the 150% of average retention goal model.
-I cannot imagine that the resultant high promotion rates help. Sure, it means if you stick around, you'll almost definitely get promoted. It also means there's a fair chance your O-4/O-5/O-6 boss is just the guy who stuck around. USAF O-4 promotios are essentially 100% (last year, it took affirmative action NOT to promote), promotion to O-5 is above 70%, promotion to O-6 sits north of 50%. Good for progression odds, but also means your boss may be an idiot or jerk or lazy person who just managed to hang on. Comparatively, in the Army right now, maybe 7 of 10 CPTs make Major, 2 of 3 Majors make Lieutenant Colonel, and 40-50% of Lieutenant Colonels will make Colonel. The O-5 to O-6 numbers are, of course, pretty inflated, because tons of people retire at O-5, because they know ahead of time that they aren't competitive for O-6 and get out.

So on top of the problems that every branch in the US faces with officer retention, you have a select group where the goal is to keep 50% more in service than is typical, they have a special skill, and only 82% as many stick around compared with other career fields. As a result you basically have to just stick around and not gently caress it up to be promoted to pretty senior positions, which I assume also contributes to the frustration among more junior officers or mid-grade officers (O-4) who have to deal with everyday bullshit on top of having officers who weren't selected from among the best, but instead from among those who stuck around.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/iiboharz/status/1139542609209303045?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/starblankets_/status/1140298255424770049?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU