Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
As President Trump takes office and Brexit starts to mean Brexit, there's only one piece of journalism powerful enough to summarize current events:

Welcome indeed, to Tiny Train World.

https://twitter.com/rpy/status/824557660653572096

What else is in the news?
• The British Red Cross described the situation in England's NHS hospitals as a "humanitarian crisis".
• The RCN describes conditions in the NHS as the worst they have ever experienced.
• The Northern Irish Assembly falls apart over heated horse solaria. Martin McGuinness resigns due to ill health.
• Tristram Hunt resigns as Stoke MP to become a museum director, triggering a by-election.
• Bristol police tase their own race relations official after mistaking him for another black man.
• Dud egg Paul Nuttall backs Donald Trump's position on torture as all newspapers except the Express (even the Mail) condemn him for cozying up to EDL thugs.
• Labour are going to back Article 50 subject to some good amendments but also maybe even without them. Except some of them aren't.
• ANAL seizes property in Belgravia back from the Grosvenor Estate, opens it up as a homeless shelter, and fights off thugs wearing fascist-linked masks.
• Brexit countdown: 58 days. Brexit plans released: 70 words w/o header. Brexit means: Hardest Fastest Reddest Whitest Bluest Brexit.

Library briefing of the Bill

February Air

Groundhog Day
UKMT January 2017 Thread
UKMT December 2016 Thread
UKMT November 2016 Thread
UKMT October 2016
UKMT September 2016

Canned Food Month
Brexit Thread

Oatmeal Monday
Scotpol Thread

International Stand Up to Bullying Day
EDL/Fash Thread

Fat Tuesday
Europol Thread

Get a Different Name Day
Paedogeddon/Press Corruption Thread

Newcomen's Birthday
Trainchat Thread

LGBT History Month
Worldwide QUILTBAG Thread

Open That Bottle Night
Political Cartoons Thread

Safer Internet Day
#ukgoons on synIRC (thanks crispix).

World Thinking Day

quote:

1. It's not a person's fault if they are poor;
2. It's not their fault if they are disabled;
3. Neo-liberalism doesn't work;
4. The Daily Mail lies (maybe even about Pig Dave and charity);
5. Neo-liberalism has never worked;
6. The British Empire was not a force for good;
7. Neo-liberalism will never work;
8. Trans people are not "men in dresses";
9. Gendered insults are not okay;
10. If something is "so gay" it had better be something that is really happy;
11. Trains are awesome;
12. The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles;
13. Ni dieu, ni maξtre, nae hope.

And most famously, the day of commercially sanctioned gestures of love:

forkboy84 posted:

Is there an award for being the biggest shithead in parliament? Is there a reason Philip Davies acts like he does? Hates gays, seems to be totally OK with domestic violence, is obviously a complete xenophobe, is a shill of the gambling industry, is a piece of poo poo to the disabled, and yet he's been elected 3 times. With a bigger share of the vote each time.
That's the answer right there. You get reelected as a Tory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Fans posted:

I'd want them too, but I imagine it'd be political suicide to oppose it. There's a reason Cameron didn't go "Hah no psyke" after he lost the referendum.

It's hard to treat Direct Democracy as an optional suggestion without people coming to the conclusion that the entire system is corrupt.

The government did say "hah no psyche" when it came to Boaty McBoatface though. :colbert:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
obligatory, even though it's use was derided in the last thread

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TinTower posted:

The government did say "hah no psyche" when it came to Boaty McBoatface though. :colbert:

Remember when the Lib Dems said "hah, no, psyke" about tuition fees and then got owned in the next election.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
We're all hosed. I'm hosed. You're hosed. It's the biggest cock-up ever. We're all completely hosed.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Labour's current path is electoral suicide I can't imagine opposing brexit - the platform on which every Labour MP was elected - would actually make matters worse.

The fact is that Corbyn is pro brexit and always has been. To his credit, he's finally found an issue on which he is prepared to be decisive.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Roses are red,
Violets are blue
Anime is my life
Brexit means anime

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I don't think "oppose brexit" was a manifesto commitment tbh

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

I don't think "oppose brexit" was a manifesto commitment tbh

A commitment to EU membership was.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Boaty McBoatface will topple this government

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60uHy-cUmHw

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

A commitment to EU membership was.

But specifically opposing brexit following a referendum was not.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Looke posted:

Boaty McBoatface will topple this government

Oh it'll topple something alright.

Pissflaps posted:

Labour's current path is electoral suicide I can't imagine opposing brexit - the platform on which every Labour MP was elected - would actually make matters worse.

The fact is that Corbyn is pro brexit and always has been. To his credit, he's finally found an issue on which he is prepared to be decisive.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

But specifically opposing brexit following a referendum was not.

By that token: nor to specifically support Brexit.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm glad we now agree that labour mps were not elected on a platform of opposing brexit

Maybe trying to soften the inevitable is better than futile resistance

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Marigolds are yellow
Daffodils too
So are some tulips
#LibDemFightback

I was never really one for romance.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

I'm glad we now agree that labour mps were not elected on a platform of opposing brexit

Maybe trying to soften the inevitable is better than futile resistance

Labour MPs were elected on a pro EU platform.

Labour rolling over for the Tories will soften gently caress all.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Namtab posted:

We'll see how many are left after they force it through.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Roses are red
Tossers are blue
Let me gently caress you lady
Something about the lib dems and students

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/826589131497168896
A little disappointing more people don't want it cancelled, but nice that less than 50% want him to come.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The Tories can force it through regardless, the aim is to get them to crumble and accept some of the amendments, which seem easy enough to swing some rebellion or concessions.

Remember that a fair number of Tories probably aren't in favour of a hard girthy brexit either.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

The Tories can force it through regardless, the aim is to get them to crumble and accept some of the amendments, which seem easy enough to swing some rebellion or concessions.

Remember that a fair number of Tories probably aren't in favour of a hard girthy brexit either.

That's not going to happen. There will be no concessions or meaningful amendments. Why on earth would the Tories 'crumble' in the face of zero opposition?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

If no amendments are accepted and they still push it through then im not voting Corbyn this summer!

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Namtab posted:

Roses are red,
Violets are blue
Anime is my life
Brexit means anime

Not even the tories are that cruel

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Hope is dead
And so are you

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

He's not quite sure what year it is but other than that, very entertaining if nothing else.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Pretty good speech to be honest, strange to find yourself more in agreement with a Tory minister than the Labour leader on this issue.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

big scary monsters posted:

Pretty good speech to be honest, strange to find yourself more in agreement with a Tory minister than the Labour leader on this issue.

Reminder

https://twitter.com/KCQCMP/status/826497504237740033

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O0OJ_VZJok

Technically from January.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
Yeah that's not actually his Twitter.

Also I hate "Given name" that's a horrible Americanism that lots of people wouldn't understand.

Family Name (Surname):
Other Name(s):

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

What if you have multiple surnames. Or none at all! What then???

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ewan posted:

Also I hate "Given name" that's a horrible Americanism that lots of people wouldn't understand.
I thought the proper term for first name was 'forename'?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

TACD posted:

I thought the proper term for first name was 'forename'?

Yes, forename and surname. It's secular and non-discriminatory and applies to cultures where the names are reversed from ours. Not sure why this is hard

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Yes, forename and surname. It's secular and non-discriminatory and applies to cultures where the names are reversed from ours. Not sure why this is hard

But fore means "in the front of"?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
thread title is not welcome to tiny train world winston voted 0

he's been in office 13 days now and the dementia is showing

https://twitter.com/tommyxtopher/status/826521935987298304?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Jose fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Feb 1, 2017

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i finally made it, my post inspired a ukmnt thread title

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Baron Corbyn posted:

But fore means "in the front of"?

Well in Japanese writing, your forename is written underneath the surname, it's all culturally relative. Youd give your forename first if you met someone though, QED.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Well, we all survived January 2017. Maybe this is the month for the sweet release of death.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Jose posted:

thread title is not welcome to tiny train world winston voted 0

he's been in office 13 days now and the dementia is showing

https://twitter.com/tommyxtopher/status/826521935987298304?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Just wait till he starts trying to drag us into the next mischievous middle eastern massacre, and May hops right on board because bombing bolsters Brexit with a convenient distraction and excuse for some good ol' "ARRR BRAVE LADS ON THE FLOATING FORTRESSES" nationalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

why does britain care so much about russia? isn't theresa may one of the dreaded Right-Wing Populists herself? are you guys just really mad they're bidding up housing prices in london? or maybe the liberal internationalist warhawk impulse is so strong even something as trifling as a far-right government can't touch it?

• Locked thread