Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jippa posted:

So how is every one celebrating #GlobalScouseDay?

JFairfax posted:

has pancake day been rebranded?
International Scouse of Pancakes.

e: Feb 28 1997 - GRB 970228, a highly luminous flash of gamma rays, struck the Earth for 80 seconds, unfortunately not long enough to sterilize it.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I was broadly accepting of the reasoning for voting to trigger Article 50, but I'm curious as to whether there is any good justification for voting this down.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I was broadly accepting of the reasoning for voting to trigger Article 50, but I'm curious as to whether there is any good justification for voting this down.

Lady Hayter posted:

With regard to free movement, we cannot simply airbrush this from the referendum decision. For if we turn round to those who voted out, and we say ‘yes we are out, but actually we are still having everything exactly as it was, we are still having free movement unchanged’, I think that might emit some surprise.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I don't really see anything other than a very hard brexit as this point

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Depends what you do with the money. Give a man a fish and he can eat for a day. Give that man a fishing rod? He can catch fish forever. It's what I've always thought anyway.

What about putting a bagel on a man's head?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Collateral posted:

What about putting a bagel on a man's head?

I saw a seagull get run over because it was too enamoured with the bagel bun it had in its mouth. Be careful.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I saw a seagull get run over because it was too enamoured with the bagel bun it had in its mouth. Be careful.
A fitting metaphor for modern consumer capitalism.

Also the greed of all existence.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011
Feed a man to a fish and you've probably killed the fish, if they are anything like goldfish. Teach a man to become a Bond villain and you have fed a tank-full of piranhas for the rest of his life.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Pratchett one is the best.

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Teach a man to fish and he's fed until fish stocks run out. Then he moans and votes for Brexit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
One night in long bygone times, man awoke and saw himself.

He saw that he was naked under cosmos, homeless in his own body. All things dissolved before his testing thought, wonder above wonder, horror above horror unfolded in his mind.

Then woman too awoke and said it was time to go and slay. And he fetched his rod and line, a fruit of the marriage of spirit and hand, and went outside beneath the stars. But as the fish bobbed up and down at the waterside where he expected them of habit, he felt no more the tiger's bound in his blood, but a great psalm about the brotherhood of suffering between everything alive.

That day he did not return with fish, and when they found him by the next new moon, he was sitting dead by the waterside.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

https://twitter.com/1971Lufc/status/836490198032740352

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Lord of the Llamas posted:

As Bagelgate shows us, circular hoop shaped buns are serious business.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Cool, gently caress Labour forever then I guess.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
https://www.ft.com/content/9b1d17d0-d425-11e6-b06b-680c49b4b4c0

quote:

UK taxpayers are facing a £24bn bill for decommissioning oil and gas fields in the North Sea — threatening to wipe out remaining tax revenues from an industry that has been among the Treasury’s most reliable cash cows for the past four decades.

..Why the gently caress are they getting tax relief for cleaning up after themselves, essentially making the taxpayer pay for the end of their profits?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Cool, gently caress Labour forever then I guess.

turns out animal farm was really about the UK.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

Lady Hayter being a shadow minister for exiting the European Union, a Labour official spokesperson on this topic.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Our living ex prime ministers are a lot better than the current one or her potential replacements.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Paxman posted:

Lady Hayter being a shadow minister for exiting the European Union, a Labour official spokesperson on this topic.

Hayters gonna Hayt.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Apparently the Manchester Gorton CLP has been in Special Measures since 2004.

Like, how does it even stay like that for so long?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Fangz posted:

turns out animal farm was really about the UK.
The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; and Boris still has the photos.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

If the UK is animal farm, I dread to think about where Cameron fits in.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The mouth, allegedly.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

TinTower posted:

Maybe they just don't meet or something? I'm part of a very active branch in a marginal but in central Nottingham apparently branches struggle to get meetings together due to people not turning up.

My so far brief period of time in the party indicates that there is no shortage of potential for internal shenanigans amongst Labour people

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

The safer the seat the less well organised the local party seems to be.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Lunar Suite posted:

https://www.ft.com/content/9b1d17d0-d425-11e6-b06b-680c49b4b4c0

..Why the gently caress are they getting tax relief for cleaning up after themselves, essentially making the taxpayer pay for the end of their profits?

Probably a legacy deal from when they were set up. Pretty common tactic of needing to pay for something but wanting to kick the actual payment down the road 20 or 30 years.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Another endorsement for Are Nige

https://twitter.com/DrDavidDuke/status/836051827581841409

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He's even getting endorsement from pro-EUROs now? :v:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TinTower posted:

Is it to do with all the careerists fighting there who've been waiting for Kaufman to die in hopes they'll get the seat? I think if it's in special measures, the national party select the candidate.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
A danger of having a far left mad dog like Corbyn is that you risk putting people onto a dilemma between the far left and the far right. If people lean just a little bit to the right, then the far right gets them.

Vs a contest between the center and the far right, where the center is closer to right leaning people than the extreme.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Baron Corbyn posted:

Is it to do with all the careerists fighting there who've been waiting for Kaufman to die in hopes they'll get the seat? I think if it's in special measures, the national party select the candidate.

That was part of it. We also got completely shut down before the leadership election due to allegations of... something. And only recently reopened.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Jeremy "Mad Dog" Corbyn

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Watch him break a jar of jam over Mays head at PMQs

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

hakimashou posted:

A danger of having a far left mad dog like Corbyn is that you risk putting people onto a dilemma between the far left and the far right. If people lean just a little bit to the right, then the far right gets them.

Vs a contest between the center and the far right, where the center is closer to right leaning people than the extreme.

If a voter sees themselves in a stark position of risking losing their property rights against losing every other right (or depriving a bunch of other people of their rights) and they vote to keep their property rights secure then they weren't agreeable allies at that point anyway.

Probably are fairly horrible people generally.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Breaking News: PMQs took a turn for the worse today as Jeremy Corbyn took of his shirt and dared May to hit him square in the stomach with the Mace, loudly proclaiming that he would happily "take" any member of the Tory frontbench

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The trouble was started when a group of MPs started balancing bagels on the Speakers head.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Oh Louise...

https://twitter.com/27khv/status/836561084807004160

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

namesake posted:

If a voter sees themselves in a stark position of risking losing their property rights against losing every other right (or depriving a bunch of other people of their rights) and they vote to keep their property rights secure then they weren't agreeable allies at that point anyway.

I'm sure the next general election will go swimmingly if Labour just come out and say "vote for us and we will confiscate your property. Don't like it? Vote for the tories, you scumbag. You piece of poo poo."

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

kustomkarkommando posted:

Jeremy "Mad Dog" Corbyn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

namesake posted:

How familiar are you with maslow's hierarchy of needs

• Locked thread