Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
What did Corbyn ask about Brexit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

HJB posted:

The PMQs Zinger of the Week™: May about Corbyn - "He can lead a protest, I'm leading a country."

I feel like this needs one of those "not all leadership is good leadership" disclaimers. But then you do periodically see some dense motherfucker going "Say what you like about hitler but he was a good leader! :downs:"

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

HJB posted:

The PMQs Zinger of the Week™: May about Corbyn - "He can lead a protest, I'm leading a country."

that deserved a full on pantomine response

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

gently caress All, he talked about Trump instead.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Pissflaps posted:

Ctrl+F-ing "brexit" on the BBC's feed:

"Jeremy Corbyn is on his feet. He pays a heartfelt tribute to Tam Dalyell, saying his doggedness over issues ranging from the miner''s strike to Iraq made Parliament a better place. He says he recommends the late MP's autobiography - titled The Importance of Being Awkward - and it should be required reading for Brexit Secretary David Davis."

So, um, not a lot.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Great work Jezza.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

HJB posted:

It's a good zinger in isolation but she isn't really is she.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/news-opinion/derek-hatton-i-now-serious-12531334

Now even Militant-ites are speaking out against Corbyn. This is turning into a big whoops

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jippa posted:

It's a good zinger in isolation but she isn't really is she.

She's leaving us over the edge of a cliff. That's leadership. Bad leadership but still.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

Great work Jezza.

It's odd. Brexit was supposed to destroy the Tory party. It's actually likely to destroy the Labour party. They've thrown themselves infront of the out of control bus that is Brexit.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

HJB posted:

The BBC immediately described this as a 'body blow' for Labour.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/feb/01/eu-brexit-deal-city-leaked-report-european-parliament-article-50

How will this affect negotiations? Were the Brexiteers right that the continent was dishonestly mitigating their own exposure to risk in this?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Rakosi posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/feb/01/eu-brexit-deal-city-leaked-report-european-parliament-article-50

How will this affect negotiations? Were the Brexiteers right that the continent was dishonestly mitigating their own exposure to risk in this?

I think it's always been obvious that Brexit is bad for everyone. A bad deal is also bad for everyone.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's odd. Brexit was supposed to destroy the Tory party. It's actually likely to destroy the Labour party. They've thrown themselves infront of the out of control bus that is Brexit.

blair and clinton laid some excellent ground work for their parties to get destroyed

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

Pissflaps posted:

I think it's always been obvious that Brexit is bad for everyone. A bad deal is also bad for everyone.

Yes, but surely it must be conceded that whilst the Brexiteers have been naive in their hope for a great deal for everyone (and lying about monetary savings and the NHS), there has been an ignored weight of dishonesty in the Remainer camp regarding how much more the UK needs the EU than the EU needs the UK (or, namely, the City of London). Personally, I always have and still do take a very dim view of all of the EU politicians that spoke out in vengeful sabre-rattling tones during and since the campaign. If it turns out, after the article 50 negotiation deadline, that it only really had a nominal effect on the UK then I think it would be fair to accuse some politicians of effectively trying to terrorize a nation into membership.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Pissflaps posted:

And the "No deal is better than a bad deal." is utter crap because "no deal" is the "WTO deal" which is a very very bad deal.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Rakosi posted:

Yes, but surely it must be conceded that whilst the Brexiteers have been naive in their hope for a great deal for everyone (and lying about monetary savings and the NHS), there has been an ignored weight of dishonesty in the Remainer camp regarding how much more the UK needs the EU than the EU needs the UK (or, namely, the City of London). Personally, I always have and still do take a very dim view of all of the EU politicians that spoke out in vengeful sabre-rattling tones during and since the campaign. If it turns out, after the article 50 negotiation deadline, that it only really had a nominal effect on the UK then I think it would be fair to accuse some politicians of effectively trying to terrorize a nation into membership.

I think you raise some valid points.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Rakosi posted:

, there has been an ignored weight of dishonesty in the Remainer camp regarding how much more the UK needs the EU than the EU needs the UK (or, namely, the City of London).

for fucks sake how do you believe that stupid poo poo? it's a larger economy than america, the imbalance is enormous, and against the UK's favour. The City of London loving leaves london if it doesn't get a replacement for it's current passporting schemes. It goes to Paris. The City needs a tax haven inside the EU, and The City, the financial institutions, are not remotely under the control of the British state. They can, and likely will, leave.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Rakosi posted:

Nobody has really come out of the brexit thing well. It's all depressing as gently caress.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

European economy, 22.8% of nominal global GDP. UK economy, 4.4%

It's pretty loving basic mathematics.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spangly A posted:

European economy, 22.8% of nominal global GDP. UK economy, 4.4%

It's pretty loving basic mathematics.

The point rakosi is making is not that the EU needs the UK more than vice versa, but that the dangers to the EU from a disorderly Brexit are real.

https://twitter.com/newdawn1997/status/826778788151296000

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 1, 2017

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Why are catheters so thick, then? Wouldn't a thinner version be less uncomfortable?

Enquiring minds want to know

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Spangly A posted:

for fucks sake how do you believe that stupid poo poo? it's a larger economy than america, the imbalance is enormous, and against the UK's favour. The City of London loving leaves london if it doesn't get a replacement for it's current passporting schemes. It goes to Paris. The City needs a tax haven inside the EU, and The City, the financial institutions, are not remotely under the control of the British state. They can, and likely will, leave.

It probably won't really. Some banking functions will be moved, but financial centres are sticky and comprised of people that are quite happy where they are. The back office stuff that mostly doesn't happen in central London is much more at risk.

There's a lot of markets that operate out of London that EU members states will continue to need unrestricted access to. The City is one area where the UK has a lot more negotiating leverage than most others.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Zephro posted:

Why are catheters so thick, then? Wouldn't a thinner version be less uncomfortable?

so you don't mix them up with an oxygen tube and burst someones bladder

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Zephro posted:

It'd have to have a certain sturdiness to allow it to be rammed up your knob, I imagine

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Zephro posted:

presumably there's a minimal internal diameter to allow sufficient flow velocity to prevent discomfort, and a minimal corresponding external diameter to allow sufficient thickness to prevent leakage/fragility. You wouldn't wan't a catheter snapping and getting lost inside your tiny little knob

e: also too thin and it would probably puncture your urethra

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011
Apologies if this was posted in the last thread but this has really got me thinking:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/inside-the-private-chat-rooms-trump-supporters-are-using-to?utm_term=.nfJmmqDBV#.jbANNRjw1

How likely is it that similar groups are targeting UK users? I'm talking about BBC News articles being swarmed with far-right comments minutes after being posted, Twitter users with dubious profiles posting generic pro-Brexit/pro-Trump comments etc.

I'm talking about poo poo like this:

https://twitter.com/TheCleaner13/status/826462764705181696

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pencils R Cool posted:

How likely is it that similar groups are targeting UK users?

100% likely, plus a shitload of Russian astroturfing.

Although there was a study someone posted a few days ago which showed that the British public gets their unmitigated bollocks from the red-top tabloids anyway, so the online cobblers is less effective

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Pencils R Cool posted:

Apologies if this was posted in the last thread but this has really got me thinking:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/inside-the-private-chat-rooms-trump-supporters-are-using-to?utm_term=.nfJmmqDBV#.jbANNRjw1

How likely is it that similar groups are targeting UK users? I'm talking about BBC News articles being swarmed with far-right comments minutes after being posted, Twitter users with dubious profiles posting generic pro-Brexit/pro-Trump comments etc.

There's a near 100% chance they already were.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

peanut- posted:

It probably won't really. Some banking functions will be moved, but financial centres are sticky and comprised of people that are quite happy where they are. The back office stuff that mostly doesn't happen in central London is much more at risk.

There's a lot of markets that operate out of London that EU members states will continue to need unrestricted access to. The City is one area where the UK has a lot more negotiating leverage than most others.

I came across an analysis of this by Paul Krugman last month. To be clear it was written long before Brexit was anything but a fevered dream of handful of Tories and English nationalists. It's been too long for me to find the quote but the gist of it was that the concerns are more about internal banking competition and loss of concentration, rather than access to international services, which is also more or less what the report implies since it doesn't talk about the latter at all.

The idea being that there would be major disruption to the financial system as the various EU financial capitals vie to replace London as the center of internal finance, reducing efficiency and causing regulatory issues.

The global banking services were always expected to stay in the UK and this is the biggest part of what London does, and their very nature is such that they are accessible to the whole world (things like forex markets and shipping insurance, two things that UK is the global leader in).

E: To illustrate the global nature of forex - while around 40% of the trading is done in London, only about 10% of the global turnover is handled by UK based banks (mainly Barclays). UBS and Deutsche each have more turnover than any of the English banks, to suggest that DB would allow a situation where it's mainly continental customers (which is where their money comes from) wouldn't have access to their forex services is preposterous. Not to mention that Barclays is German-owned as well.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 1, 2017

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/MattWhittakerRF/status/826701620918546433

Shocking development, inequality goes up during a Tory governments. Who'da thunk it?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Pencils R Cool posted:

If there's one thing I learned from my time with the Scientology protest lot, it's that these people LOVE feeling like massive conspiracy puppet masters.

Basically

spectralent posted:

There's a near 100% chance they already were.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

And while I'm linking to dumb poo poo I've seen on Twitter, UKMT's favourite art critic Jonathan Jones has dropped a solid nugget of gold here.

We cannot celebrate revolutionary Russian art – it is brutal propaganda

What a wally.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

peanut- posted:

Its more than just leverage for Britain in talks, it also provides an impetus for the EU nations to ensure that its completed as quickly as possible. Hence why various EU countries have asked that talks should have already started as many are very worried about the affect that reducing the options to liquidity for business that access to the London capital markets provide. Spain just last week raising this point, along with Italy and various Eastern European countries have all raised this issue has to be resolved as quick as possible. So its safe to assume an interim banking deal very early on in the BREXIT talks, assuming France doesn't do a France and try and block everything.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Pencils R Cool posted:

How likely is it that similar groups are targeting UK users?

Not just similar groups, but anyone with a bankroll, half a brain as to the situation and a motive is trying their hand right now. Anything from false amazon reviews to providing cheerleaders for bombing raids.

2017: Never read the comments.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

And while I'm linking to dumb poo poo I've seen on Twitter, UKMT's favourite art critic Jonathan Jones has dropped a solid nugget of gold here.

We cannot celebrate revolutionary Russian art – it is brutal propaganda

What a wally.
The Guardian: Remember the Kulaks

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

ukle posted:

Its more than just leverage for Britain in talks, it also provides an impetus for the EU nations to ensure that its completed as quickly as possible. Hence why various EU countries have asked that talks should have already started as many are very worried about the affect that reducing the options to liquidity for business that access to the London capital markets provide. Spain just last week raising this point, along with Italy and various Eastern European countries have all raised this issue has to be resolved as quick as possible. So its safe to assume an interim banking deal very early on in the BREXIT talks, assuming France doesn't do a France and try and block everything.

It uhh, the article doesn't say anything about reducing the options to liquidity for business that access to the London capital markets provide.

The relevant bit (b/c it's paywalled), the rest is about Gibraltar and whatnot:

quote:

Arguing that the EU was not aiming to take business from the London financial centre, he added: “What we want is to preserve the integrity of the internal market and preserve the preferential status of those countries that are inside the union. But that does not mean weakening the City.”

The Big Read
No right turn for Spanish politics
Despite an economic meltdown rightwing populists failed to gain a foothold in the country. Why?

Mr Dastis added: “We would have preferred to keep the UK inside the EU but with regard to other member states I think the deal with the UK will have to be pretty amazing for them to say: ‘Yes, now we also want to leave’ . . . I don’t think the case of Brexit is repeatable.”

The foreign minister also argued that Brexit would bring advantages for Spain and other remaining states: “This is an opportunity for the EU to make a leap forward. We can now have greater cohesion than we had when the UK was a member.”

Mr Dastis dismissed as “probably unnecessary” British warnings that the country could adopt a low-tax Singapore-style business model in an effort to lure companies to post-Brexit Britain.

“I don’t think it is a very realistic scenario,” he said, pointing out that the “UK needs tax revenues” and that an uncontrolled race to lower tax rates “hurts everybody”.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
"Despite an economic meltdown rightwing populists failed to gain a foothold in [Spain]. Why?"

Because the meltdown was caused very directly by the right lol

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/duncanrobinson/status/826809483200495616

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

HJB posted:

Doesn't even bother with the loving pretense of being a servant of the public trust.

• Locked thread