Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Pochoclo posted:

Och aye! Build Hadrian's Wall Again!
I do love Scotland and have seriously considered moving to Aberdeen.

You can be the new imported scottish nationalist for the thread

History edit:
Uhh this is a lovely post to start a page with
8 AD - Ovid is banished from Rome into exile for speaking out against the very sensible and not-at-all dictatorial policies of Emperor Augustus.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Is there any provision within the Article 50 mechanism for the process to take longer than 2 years?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pissflaps posted:

How about you cheer up us - and yourself - by transcribing a really long old rear end letter?

I do enjoy the letters tbf

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Is there any provision within the Article 50 mechanism for the process to take longer than 2 years?

Yes.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

but no way of stopping it once it's enacted, correct? I'm sure I've asked this before

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pissflaps being mister helpful as usual.

All the member states of the EU have to agree for an extension, which lasts 6 months.

Nothing is written down about undoing the process once it's started, so it'll be up to a European court to rule on it.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Pochoclo posted:

Och aye! Make Hadrian's Wall Great Again!
I do love Scotland and have seriously considered moving to Aberdeen.

Come up here, Aberdeen is seriously ace.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Coohoolin posted:

Come up here, Aberdeen is seriously ace.

Its actually terrible. Aberdeenshire however, is the best place on earth.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

serious gaylord posted:

Look how wrong you are.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Anyone knows who were the 4 SNP MPs that didn't vote against the government? I'm curious now.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

but no way of stopping it once it's enacted, correct? I'm sure I've asked this before

That would be up to the European court to decide. The guy that wrote it believes its reversible.

Private Speech posted:

Anyone knows who were the 4 SNP MPs that didn't vote against the government? I'm curious now.

Maybe Tasmina forgot which party she is in this year?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Foster needs to go regardless of which party is the biggest after the next election. Her position, to my mind, is no longer tenable. She has proved a poor political operator and mistakes her stubbornness for tenacity and that's a terrible characteristic for a politician to have. I was eavesdropping a bit on a conversation my father and his friends were having after church on Sunday and I think the feelings of disgust they expressed over the DUP in general and Foster's leadership in particular was quite telling: these gentlemen are all middle-aged, middle-class, avowed social conservatives who all come from this evangelical Baptist background going back to the 1960s, who all probably voted against the Belfast Agreement; they're almost stereotypical middle-class unionists, and Foster has managed to lose them over this.

I am not sure how I shall vote myself. Probably Alliance first and second then UUP third and fourth. My chief interest isn't even in removing the DUP from power and I am content for them to remain the largest party, which I suspect they will. What I hope will happen is that they are pushed down to 29 seats, because their abuse of the petition of concern mechanism has made a real horlicks of the devolved Assembly.

I don't know. If you'd told people 20 years ago that a) Ian Paisley and Martin McGuinness would become legitimately best mates; b) Paisley would be praised for helping to helping to steer Northern Ireland towards stability and relative normalcy after his death; c) McGuinness would retire as one of the most respected and admired figures in politics; and d) Ian Jr. would tell people to get Irish passports, I'm not sure what they'd have to say.

Sorry to disrupt your Brexit chat, by the way.

I voted to stay in myself, but probably for the same reasons Tony Benn, Jeremy Corbyn, RMT et al. wanted out the past 40 years, so I imagine I was right for the wrong reasons or something.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

"enemies of democracy" "pay the price"

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/826914009056161796

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

namesake posted:

Pissflaps being mister helpful as usual.

All the member states of the EU have to agree for an extension, which lasts 6 months.

What is this six months?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I found some more :tinfoil:

quote:

The British people, who are Israelites, under The Covenant, have been betrayed; impoverished and oppressed by the monarchy through-out its long and evil existence, because the people themselves have not kept The Covenant, that they swore at Sinai to keep for ever.

quote:

Elizabeth 2 who is descended from the royal line of David from the tribe of Judah, was then fraudulently crowned on that fake stone in 1953, so in actual fact was never officially crowned queen of Britain in the eyes of God; as God Himself prevented her from being, by having the Stone taken from her.

quote:

Mrs. Elizabeth Alexandra Mary Battenberg/Mountbatten; un-Lawfully residing in Buckingham Palace, London; also known by the criminal aliases Windsor and QE2, was knowingly and willfully, with malice-aforethought, fraudulently crowned on a fake Coronation Stone / Lia Fail / Stone of Destiny / Bethel / Jacob’s Pillar on June 2nd in 1953, and has been fraudulently masquerading as the rightful British Sovereign/Crown for the last 58 years, which the Defendant can prove beyond doubt, and is a major part of why the fraudulent British so-called “crown” is attacking the Defendant with this false, malicious, frivolous, ridiculous and politically motivated charge. It is Mrs. Elizabeth A. M. Battenberg who should be arrested and charged; for her innumerable acts of high-treason against God and Christ, Whose church she falsely claims to head and in defiance of Whom she had herself fraudulently crowned, and Whom she has continued to rule in defiance of, and in opposition to, ever since; not the Defendant.

quote:

It is therefore of the utmost importance that Elizabeth Alexandra Mary Battenberg and the Sovereign’s Bible, that is kept in Lambeth Palace*, be present in court on May 9th for my challenge to her jurisdiction and sovereignty to be heard, and for me to face my false-accuser, examine her and have her arrested.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

The cherry in top is Corbyn supposedly being the leader who does the 'right' thing, not the populist thing.

And the people who supported him for that are now supporting this populist stance on Brexit.

I don't know. I think even the Canary has said he's messed up on this score.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Aberdeen is cold, unfriendly, expensive and generally a bit shite. I agree Aberdeenshire is the best fellow shiregoon :respek:

I'm fast losing faith in Jeremy Corbyn. Why have a 3 line whip. Is bad. Keep the focus on what you say, and on what government does.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

How then is it possible that Elizabeth Mountbatten, who is also known by the aliases "Windsor" and "QE 2", is the richest woman on Earth, whilst hundreds of thousands of British people are homeless, with millions living in relative poverty and she has political parties of both left and right, in her illegal democracy? It is because the TRUTH about the British people's true identity has been purposely hidden from them, by the monarchy, so that the people would not read The Covenant; relate it to themselves and demand that the monarchy gives back the wealth it has defrauded the people out of, by using its own illegal laws and taxes.
One weird trick to undoing economic inequality by discovering that the whole of Britain is secretly Jewish.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I guess everyone is angry because this recent little misstep stands out all the more against Corbyn's previously flawless record.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe
That is some great craziness Tin Towers. I love a bit of craziness.

A particular bit of madness I love is the Panacea Society. It is so beautifully eccentric I went to visit their museum in Bedford a few years ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,5753,-4563,00.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panacea_Society

I am not sure of their views on EU membership.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
just one of those little missteps one makes that destroys a party.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pissflaps posted:

What is this six months?

It's a period of time equal to about half the Earths rotation of the Sun. Rereading Article 50 I apparently imagined the two being related in some way.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

jabby posted:

This is becoming a really annoying comparison.

One common reason for finding a particular argument irritating is because a large part of your brain is actually convinced by it. So you have to expend effort to overrule it each time you hear it.

There are of course other reasons; only you can really know if I one of them applies instead.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

winegums posted:

Aberdeen is cold, unfriendly, expensive and generally a bit shite. I agree Aberdeenshire is the best fellow shiregoon :respek:

I'm fast losing faith in Jeremy Corbyn. Why have a 3 line whip. Is bad. Keep the focus on what you say, and on what government does.

My favourite bit of Aberdeen is the road out of it.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

^^ Seriously, gently caress Dyce traffic jams too.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't know. If you'd told people 20 years ago that a) Ian Paisley and Martin McGuinness would become legitimately best mates;

Slightly incomplete anecdote, but my Dad was on a few flights with Ian Paisley and <insert prominent republican> 20 years or so ago when they shared a commute. Apparently they were laughing and joking on the plane up until the point they landed, when they both departed the plane separately and stony faced as if they wouldn't spit on each other. I'll see if I can find out who the Republican was.

namesake posted:

Deare Lord Ashlington,

It is under sincere destress that I must inform youe of the events that have occurred at this place over the past twelve monthes...

Loved this!

Pissflaps posted:

Built up a persuasive case against Brexit using all the evidence and events since - focussing most recently on the need for stability in the face of an increasingly alarming situation in America - then held a three line whip against tonight's bill, bringing rebel Tories on-side to defeat it.

And you know what? Even if it had failed it would still have acted as some sort of brake on us careering towards the hardest of possible Brexits. Because there would have been opposition to it.

Given only 1 Tory apparently cares enough about Europe to rebel, who are the hordes of defectors you are expecting? It was widely reported in the poltiical press that May squashed any potential Tory rebellion by committing to produce a white paper, thereby eliminating the possibility of them joining with Labour.

There would be absolutely no difference in parliamentary outcome if Corbyn had whipped to oppose article 50. Please describe how this brake of yours would function to block a majority government, with 1 rebelling MP, from passing its legislation?

I'd much prefer every MP in that house to vote to block Brexit, but I think you're overstating the case.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 2, 2017

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Surely the tory rebels fell in line because there was no chance of them actually stopping things if labour were using a 3 line whip? If there was a genuine chance of it being stalled you might have seen more tories stick their neck on the block but we'll never really know for sure.

Alternatively, if there was a genuine chance of Labour all voting to block it, the tories would have doubled down on party discipline and maybe it wouldn't have changed anything at all too.

Isn't democracy great.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Prince John posted:

Given only 1 Tory apparently cares enough about Europe to rebel, who are the hordes of defectors you are expecting? It was widely reported in the poltiical press that May squashed any potential Tory rebellion by committing to produce a white paper, thereby eliminating the possibility of them joining with Labour.

There would be absolutely no difference in parliamentary outcome if Corbyn had whipped to oppose article 50. Please describe how this break would function to block a majority government, with 1 rebelling MP, from passing its legislation?

In a world where Labour were doing there job properly there would actually be a side to defect to. May was able to squash any rebellion simply by committing to a white paper because the Remain lobby in the house is so weak. One Tory rebelling in a parliament where the leader of the Opposition is siding with the Tories is not an accurate measure of how many could be persuaded to rebel in a parliament with an actual Opposition possessing a competent leader. Failing actually blocking the bill, their would have been enough resistance to get worthwhile amendments to protect us from the worse excesses of Brexit.

This is all really, really loving obvious stuff.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

The cherry in top is Corbyn supposedly being the leader who does the 'right' thing, not the populist thing.

And the people who supported him for that are now supporting this populist stance on Brexit.

He could poo poo on their cat and they'd nod sagely and agree that it was the nuanced, principled thing to do.

What a loving mess he's made.

I think most supporters are pretty pissed off actually. Don't be a sore winner.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Regarde Aduck posted:

I think most supporters are pretty pissed off actually. Don't be a sore winner.

I was right about Corbyn but that does not make me the 'winner'. We've all lost.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/826920391125917704

Using a picture of one of the most famous European federalists ever, on the front page of a paper who literally said "Hurrah for the Blackshirts", to celebrate leaving the EU.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE

ENEMIES OF DEMOCRACY

why don't the Mail and Farage and whoever just go suck a big dick I mean seriously gently caress I can't believe there's people who gorge on this poo poo, hook line and sinker

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Private Speech posted:

Owen Thompson and Marion Fellows where tellers so didn't vote.

Scanning a division result here the missing two seem to be Callum McCaig (Aberdeen South) and Corri Wilson ( Ayr, Carrick and Cumnock)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Why does Northern Ireland have a left-wing pro-union party? Seems a missed opportunity, there was lots of working class unionists who were also trade unionists, so why are all the unionist parties lovely conservatives and reactionaries? Fair enough on social matters, but Sinn Fein are also pretty conservative socially.

Never understood this. Almost as if nationalism and religion is getting in the way of class solidarity, being used to divide and conquer?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

TinTower posted:

Using a picture of one of the most famous European federalists ever, on the front page of a paper who literally said "Hurrah for the Blackshirts", to celebrate leaving the EU.

https://twitter.com/WyeLad2009/status/826921034200780806

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TinTower posted:

How about the news today that David Cameron tried to lean on Lord Rothermere (who was for Remain, but has no meaningful editorial control over the Daily Mail) to give Paul Dacre the sack during the referendum?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Surely if the MPs were reflecting the Will of the People, the vote would have been split 52:48

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Why does Northern Ireland have a left-wing pro-union party? Seems a missed opportunity, there was lots of working class unionists who were also trade unionists, so why are all the unionist parties lovely conservatives and reactionaries? Fair enough on social matters, but Sinn Fein are also pretty conservative socially.

Never understood this. Almost as if nationalism and religion is getting in the way of class solidarity, being used to divide and conquer?

The Labour movement in Northern Ireland had marginal successes but was riven by divisions caused by the question of partition, the eventually pro-union Labour faction that emerged from failed attempts to stick to the middle ground (The Northern Ireland Labour Party) had marginal success in and around the docks but the UUP had understood trade unionism to be as grave a threat to their political domination as nationalism since at least the late 1930's and had worked to establish alternative "loyal" unions (often tied explicitly to Orange Lodge hierarchy) and actively worked to undermine those godless communists. The NILP voluntarily dissolved itself into the SDLP back when it was initially formed as a union of Nationalist and Labour opposition forces, but the soft-union left forces largely left the party after it started moving to a decisively nationalist tone.

There have been examples of mass union and labour unrest in protestant working class communities outside of the control of the major parties - which was one of the reason the UUP worked to undermine these forces

A couple of the start-up Loyalist parties that sprang into existence after the Ulster Workers' Council strike where often quite to the left, the general left-wing economic tilt of working class protestant loyalism was a feature that carried through to the PUP

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

I think a lot of people old enough to remember us joining in the first place are aware that situations change, and that it looked a far better prospect in the 70s than how it actually turned out to be.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

forkboy84 posted:

Northern Ireland Labour briefly made a go of it in the 1960s, and the O'Neill government's modernising approach to community relations and ecumenicism were, at least to a certain degree (there are other factors associated with O'Neill himself that aren't really worth going into here), calculated to check the possibility of NI Labour successfully building a cross-community coalition of working class Protestants and Catholics by bringing the growing Catholic middle class into the fold.

As to the matter of class divisions, the key thing to keep in mind is that for a very long time, the "aristocratic" leaders of unionist politics and the working class grassroots supporters were really bound together by the shared experience of the war in general and the Battle of the Somme in particular. That's why Terence O'Neill was always Captain Terence O'Neill, and James Chichester-Clark was always Major James Chichester-Clark etc. It was a way of saying, "Don't think we haven't made sacrifices for Ulster as well."

In fact, a significant reason why O'Neill became prime minister in 1963 was that he'd served in the Second World War and lost two brothers; the outgoing prime minister, Brookeborough, had fought in the First World War, and lost two sons in the Second. O'Neill's main competition (and, debatably, the better choice) was Brian Faulkner, who was articulate and competent, but hadn't served and so was passed over.

kustomkarkommando posted:

A couple of the start-up Loyalist parties that sprang into existence after the Ulster Workers' Council strike where often quite to the left, the general left-wing economic tilt of working class protestant loyalism was a feature that carried through to the PUP

It is a shame that other features carried through to the PUP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Edit: double post

• Locked thread