Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

TinTower posted:

UKIP have actually filed a formal complete with the (unelected :supaburn:) President of the European Parliament (who acts as speaker).

Special snowflakes.

e: Screenshot

One of my favourite things to do with Ukip supporters (and the alt-right with any of their heroes) is to just mock Farage by flipping their insults aimed at the left directly at him. Like the fact that hes never been able to win a seat as an MP (proving that hes a loser), that hes quit the Ukip leadership twice when things got tough (proving that hes a coward) and that his attendance and expense claims at the EU are shocking (proving that he doesn't care about who he represents and happily steals their money).

This is even better. Now I can say hes a special snowflake that doesn't like his feelings getting hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Its too bad that Britain will never be able to produce a show like Rick and Morty because any TV commissioner looking at it would throw it out unless its re-written to be a talent competition or a panel show.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Whats the best anime video game

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Stewart Lee addresses an insular cadre of socially challenged, prematurely middle aged pseudo-intellectual men.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

I thought Stewart Lee was a UKMT favourite ?
I hate Stewart Lee with a passion. He is like Ian Huntley to me.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Namtab posted:

So you don't actually have any ideas. Cool.
The opposition to this idea is "lets just follow the Conservatives and maybe, possibly, if we cross out fingers hard enough, we might be able to mitigate the damage".

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

I've given you a very specific idea. It's a much better idea than 'literally do nothing'.
I like how the resistance to the idea of opposing Brexit is that "it would empower the right". In the mean time, the Tories have pushed even further right than they have done in the recent past and they're getting nothing but favourable press over it and they're leagues ahead of any opposition in the polls. On top of this, Farage and Ukip still get a lot of press that is affectionate to their views.

My solution to this is that we all keep quiet and hope that the right doesn't get more empowered, yeah.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Fucks sake. They can accuse every other home nation of having relations with livestock, accuse their own outlying regions of incest to the point of polydactyly, and take the piss out of the whole rest of Europe/the world and that's just bants, but when British television has a light hearted jab at England they go on the defensive.

Change all English BBC regional channels to a picture of a white Transit van in front of a house with St. George's flags with a constant repeating laugh track in the background 24/7 until they have a breakdown.
Mark Thomas has a nice story about Dave Allen that reminds me about this.

“I remember he once told this amazing joke while he was recording a live show for London Weekend Television. Forgive the terrible accent, but he went, ‘I tell Irish jokes, I get into a lot of trouble for telling Irish jokes. But sod it, you’ve got to be able to laugh at yourself, don’t you agree?’ Big round of applause. ‘So I’ll tell an Irish joke…two Paddies leave Dublin and go to work in London…and the IQ of Dublin halves overnight’. Big laugh. ‘They get to London and the IQ doubles’. Deathly silence. ‘Now, I thought we agreed that you have to be able to laugh at yourselves’. And it was brilliant; he caught their prejudice squarely on the chin."

I'm pretty sure "we can mock anyone but we can't take it in return" is pretty common amongst the right actually. I definitely saw it a lot during the build up to indyref.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'm pretty sure he could say that he was first on the beach at Normandy in 1945, that he scored a hattrick in the 1990 World Cup final for England and that he flew that plane into the middle of that spaceship at the end of Independence Day, and it still wouldn't even remotely affect his chances.

gently caress, he could even say that he actually died at Hillsborough and it wouldn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Baron Corbyn posted:

What if the only way to stop Brexit was to let Tony Blair invade a Middle Eastern country?

Depends on which one it is. If he swerved us and attacked Israel, I think we'd all be down with that.

• Locked thread