Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

big scary monsters posted:

Pretty good speech to be honest, strange to find yourself more in agreement with a Tory minister than the Labour leader on this issue.

Reminder

https://twitter.com/KCQCMP/status/826497504237740033

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
So 47 Labour MP's voted against, and a number abstained including Diane Abbot.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Abbot is apparently ill so probably shouldn't be classed as 'rebelling' but either way thats a fair few labour MP's and 3 whips who defied Corbyn.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pissflaps posted:

How about you cheer up us - and yourself - by transcribing a really long old rear end letter?

I do enjoy the letters tbf

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Coohoolin posted:

Come up here, Aberdeen is seriously ace.

Its actually terrible. Aberdeenshire however, is the best place on earth.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

winegums posted:

Aberdeen is cold, unfriendly, expensive and generally a bit shite. I agree Aberdeenshire is the best fellow shiregoon :respek:

I'm fast losing faith in Jeremy Corbyn. Why have a 3 line whip. Is bad. Keep the focus on what you say, and on what government does.

My favourite bit of Aberdeen is the road out of it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Surely the tory rebels fell in line because there was no chance of them actually stopping things if labour were using a 3 line whip? If there was a genuine chance of it being stalled you might have seen more tories stick their neck on the block but we'll never really know for sure.

Alternatively, if there was a genuine chance of Labour all voting to block it, the tories would have doubled down on party discipline and maybe it wouldn't have changed anything at all too.

Isn't democracy great.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Question for the gallery, if you know a case number of a court case that's being heard and the name of the defendant, is there any way to find out the charges?

A colleague has been called away for jury duty and of course I have to try and work out what case they're on, and I think i've guessed the right person in the dock.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Council elections are meaningless unless they favour the party I support then they are the perfect barometer of how the next general election will go.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

spectralent posted:

They had Abe preaching trickle-down, instead, which did much the same. Japanese youngin's are profoundly hosed.

Well they aren't, which is a whole other problem about 40 years away.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

mehall posted:

Only 1 Tory rebelled on the first vote.
There was a theory in this thread that with Labour whipping to vote for it, it meant Tory rebels could vote how the liked with no repercussions, since Labour would help it pass.
This has been shown not to be true.

Labour are legitimately worried about how they would appear to the public in the press, since we already saw how the press treated those who voted against in the last vote.

Rubbish. No tory was going to stick their head above the parapet if they didn't believe they could win, and with Labour 3 line whipping to get it through they were always going to go with the party. The thing about parliamentary rebellions is they only happen when they will work, because defying your party often comes with severe consequences that no MP will want to suffer unless they've won.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Well I mean neither do the labour party...

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

OwlFancier posted:

The other statisitc I heard that may be wrong is that there is more land in Surrey that is used as golf course than is used as housing.

I believe that is actually true if things like grounds/gardens and the necessary road infrastructure weren't included.

Something that occurred to me while listening to all this stuff on the radio. What would happen if the government decried that all land currently with planning permission but not being built upon had a 5 year time limit before defaulting to the government, and that any houses built on said land would be barred to sale for a period of 15 years to anyone who wasn't a first time buyer?

I mean it would never happen, but...

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 7, 2017

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Basically would my idea gently caress the country by causing a house price crash or would it actually have the opposite effect of making the remaining housing stock skyrocket as hungry landlords pillage it?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

kingturnip posted:

I see that Marine A's lawyers are going down the 'he was mentally incompetent' route for the appeal.
I mean, it's their job to give it a go, but I'm not convinced that you can claim diminished responsibility for someone who immediately reflects on their actions and comes to the correct conclusion ("I just broke the Geneva Convention").

I despise the people that support him, particularly those who go for the 'they would have done the same thing to him'. Well yes, they might have, but they certainly will now.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
So will labour release these texts that they have about surrey councils sweetheart deal?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TheRat posted:

Remain isnt a thing, and hasnt been a thing since June 23rd 2016. The only thing that needed representation was getting the best possible version of Leave, and even that was a symbolic fight because of the Tories having strict majority.

For the last few months I've seen your posting and just been dismayed by it. Your continual head in the sand denial and unconditional support of Corbyns flaws was comical at first, but the desperation you've started to reach in trying to wave away anything negative has just gotten sad.

I'm glad you think that the labour supporters who voted remain no longer matter. Lets see what happens when they don't turn up to the ballot box at the next election.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

ElNarez posted:

what's happening now is the direct result of Labour not having enough MPs to have an impact on policy, it's not immediately relevant, I'll admit, but it is the situation as it's been, and as it will be until the next election, so you're expecting Corbyn to stop article 50 with a power he does not have

and if article 50 cannot be stopped, it should follow that the best move is to salvage whatever you can, and in that case, it means making concessions to the part of Labour's electorate that they absolutely need to hold on to if they want to get in power ever again

Yeah except that's just not going to happen. Remember when Corbyns big selling point was the £3 supporters? That he was popular with demographics that didn't traditionally support labour and this was going to sweep him to success at every election because instead of having to convince shy tories to vote, he'd have this huge swell of people that didn't normally vote so labour would no longer have to pretend to be tory lite to win?

How do you think they voted in the referendum? How do you think they're going to feel about the leader of the labour party forcing his party to vote for something they, almost uniformly, thought was a terrible idea?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I have also just resigned my labour membership.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

mehall posted:

Why? Do you not agree with your CLP choice of who to stand for election in your area?

I'm in a tory lock seat, theres 0 chance of a labour candidate ever winning here so my support of the labour party was to give them money and go and campaign somewhere they might win.

I'm not doing that for a party leadership that voted in lockstep with the tories tonight. They can gently caress right off.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Fans posted:

Referendums are dangerous political tools and the Conservatives vague EU ref really hosed us all harder than any dead pig.

Corbyn wants Brexit to get going because right now the fantasy of "Britain Grate!" is completely unshiftable until Brexit actually happens and opposing a referendum is unthinkable for a major party.

It's a poo poo situation the Conservatives threw the country in to win 2015. Now Corbyn's going to throw us in the poo poo to try win 2020. Britain Grate!

You don't know what cheerleading is.

I had an e-mail back from my labour clp this morning telling me they don't have the authority to accept my resignation and will let me know who I have to contact. Either way the DD is cancelled, but I guess this might be how labour could inflate member numbers for a long time.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Dead Goon posted:

Why are you so important that you need to resign from the Labour Party?

Cancel your DD, cut your membership card up and post pictures of it on social media like all the other whiny little babies have done in the past.

Because that's the process every member is told to go through. Otherwise they keep you on their rolls for 6+ months and continue to send you marketing poo poo.

But thanks for the personal attack.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Spangly A posted:

fire tends to be bright

Yeah about that

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/10/19/thick-smoke-from-controlled-burn-causes-multiple-car-crashes

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TomViolence posted:

I understand the concept well enough, I just don't subscribe to the idea that they are in fact as important as they're made out. Or rather, if they are important indicators of future electoral failure or success it's much more due to the media narrative constructed around them rather than facts on the ground.

Seems we're getting our excuses in early.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

kingturnip posted:

They won a byelection by hoovering up protest votes from people either too stupid to realise their protest wouldn't be listened to or too stupid to remember 2010-2015.
I mean kudos for tapping into a group of voters too politically illiterate to realise what idiots they're being, but there's nothing politically brilliant about stealing UKIP's game plan.

Back to the tried and tested 'insult people that don't agree with me' method of winning votes I see.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

winegums posted:

So that wee boy that died at Topshop, details are slowly being released and it looks like it had something to do with a display table not being bolted down. It's tragic and awful that a child died in an utterly preventable way. I wonder if this will cause people to think twice before saying health and safety has gone mad then I remember the tragic Truth :smith:

My company have some areas in various House of Fraser stores and we had some freestanding hanging rails that we thought were absolutely fine, yet turned out if a 11 year old treated them like monkey bars would break. I know this because this is exactly what a kid did. You can plan for most things, but sometimes things really are an accident. Looking at that table, there would be very little reason for anyone to think that's going to tip over and fall onto someone so they would never have thought it would need bolting to the floor.

I'm going to wait until all the details are released, because I genuinely don't think a kid could pull that over themselves.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
RBS are going to get turbo hosed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38984130

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pissflaps posted:

Corbyn has mumbled something about Blair's intervention being unhelpful while everyone is trying their best to Brexit or something. You can guess the sort of poo poo he's saying so no point linking to it.

Already seen people blaming Labour losing next week's by-elections on it which is hilarious and also very, very sad.

Byelections don't matter anyway so its no problem if labour lose both seats really.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Dabir posted:

Yeah the PMs are still pathetic cheers.

Post it. I want to see how creepy it is.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

learnincurve posted:

The perfect solution to the housing crisis is to make it law that all rented houses are managed by the local council. Private landlords can already do this in some areas and their houses show up on the list along with housing association and council houses. It's a fib that you have to earn under a certain amount to get one or be in receipt of housing benefit, you can also have as much savings as you like, the single thing they give a poo poo about is if you can afford the rent. If you are a drug addict or have ASBO then they offer you a flat well away from normal people.

The council will take care of everything from filling the house to maintenance - much much cheaper than anyone else. The downside for some landlords is that the council actually does maintenance, and safety checks, and makes sure tenants have a proper tenancy and whatnot. Release funds to the local councils to buy the houses landlords no longer want because they won't pass inspection.

As if by magic the council's stock will dramatically increase and it won't effect the middle classes that the government is so scared of offending because they will be smaller inner city poor people's houses. Poor people that no longer have to worry about damp, the boiler exploding, or being kicked out because they lost their job. The people effected by this will be that one lovely estate agents in your town who owns half of it.

If you want to make yourself angry look up Dave Wells and what he's done to the poor and vulnerable people in Bournemouth.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

forkboy84 posted:

Looking forward to someone telling us that "it's fine, polls don't matter".

It only took 3 posts.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Gort posted:

No, he should continue to fulfil the will of the members of his party, who have clearly indicated they want him as leader. The membership is sovereign in the Labour party, not rich donors like in UKIP and the tory party.

How about he fulfilled the will of the members of his party by opposing it then instead of three line whipping its passage in the non existent hope of chasing the leave voting working class thats hosed off to the tories/ukip.

Or does he get to pick and choose what parts of the members will he follows?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

baka kaba posted:

It's also easy to ignore that Labour's polling was actually trending upwards for once until something happened in June last year, something about a referendum... and his own party launching a protracted public coup intended to dominate the news cycle with bad PR. Purely a coincidence that this is when Labour's polling tanked though

Not quite. Labour have consistently polled around 30-35% for general election preference since mid 2015. The narrowing of the gap in the run up the referendum shows a drop in the tories and a big swing to UKIP while labours numbers remained fairly steady. Then Brexit happened, UKIP no longer had a purpose and they all flocked back to the conservatives.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Point of order in that your link states only 48% of labour voters don't want to block brexit.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Fans posted:

Kinda depressing how much of a mirror that UKIP/Conservative line is.

And Labour/Lib Dems

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Gort posted:

Incidentally, I'm not sure what motivates someone to post in favour of the tories. Maybe if you're part of the privileged few who their destructive policies favour - those who can afford private healthcare, education and security guards to keep the poor away - then I can see it maybe through sheer selfishness? For the vast majority of people, however, I can't get my head around the mindset where you look at the tories and think "That's the party for me - the one that'll destroy the NHS and public education in order to funnel tax money to those who donate to their party, the one that caused Brexit, the one that's sucking up to Trump, the one responsible for the demonisation of the victims of Hillsborough, the one that's courting the far right - they represent me perfectly! Better attack their political rivals so they can destroy my rights more swiftly!"

It's good that no-one here is doing that then.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Guavanaut posted:

:lol:

Did they deliberately make it look like those terrible magazines that appear by the checkout? The ones with headlines full of rape and abuse and a blankly smiling woman on the cover that look designed to appeal only to the villains in Dexter.

They've managed to make something significantly more cringeworthy than The New European, that takes effort.

The national will be eagerly taking notes.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Its a terrible shirt for a terrible show I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

jabby posted:

You mean that your narrative includes no possible positive outcome for Labour? There's a shock.

Increasing their majority would be a positive. Anything less would not look great for a party hoping to get into government in 3 years time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Tesseraction posted:

I like the mirroring of the UKIP vote by the Tory vote.

Labour and the Lib Dems mirrored yet again.

• Locked thread