Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

Supposedly this is based on the average child receiving £131,832.94 over 25 years, or £5273.32 a year. That (according to HSBC) includes earning an average of £14,457.12 by age 25. Given that the median household income for two adults is £23,556 it has to be total bollocks.

Haha what the gently caress, what the gently caress is a 4 year old going to do with £400 a month? Buy drugs in recess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Guavanaut posted:

Also giant clay constables walking through the walls of rich kid parties and arresting them all for coke would be a quick way to get drug laws changed.

Robocop would be the bane of every conservative government ever because they prattle on about morality but they're dirty as gently caress behind scenes, every single one of them.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Spangly A posted:

Dacre should hang from the tower

if hating the media seems such a turnoff for people, then maybe hang every daily mail reader instead. They love hanging, they used to be swingers, it'd be fine.

The print Daily Mail and the online Daily Mail have different editors. They all hate each other and also we should hate all of them, of course.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Murder everyone with a net worth over £10m and start all over again with luxury high tech fully automated communism. Not ironic.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

I'll do you one better

https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/research/panics/ancient-panics/financial-panic-of-33ad/

Yep. We've been doing this poo poo since the Roman Empire at the very least, folks. Capitalism ain't new.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Also what the gently caress is this I'm reading about EU citizens registering for their "right to live"? I mean, if you guys eventually start asking me to do any sort of registering for the "privilege" of staying in a failing economy instead of doing the sane thing and just allowing EU people to stay around, then you've got a surprise coming.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Breath Ray posted:

What sort of economy have you got back home?

Amsterdam, Berlin, Copenhagen, Stockholm - I can move to any of them and have a healthy economy to call home. I just get better money being in the UK right now.

Also I'm a bit of an anglophile and I love London, but yeah, start revoking my right to live here and I'll book a plane gently caress you. Say bye to the £50k I pay in taxes every year.

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 27, 2017

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Breath Ray posted:

Those places are ok for a stag weekend but they're hardly long term options!

Still, thanks for visiting and don't let the ferry door fail to close properly on your way out.

Always funny to see coddled first-worlders deal with babby's first crisis. You're in for some fun times, oh boy you are.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

OwlFancier posted:

If you pay £50k in tax you must be, er, rather wealthy.

High income != wealthy. Capital accumulation takes time. I don't create jobs though, compared to the actual capital class I'm just another poor. Also I've actually experienced deep crushing poverty for most of my childhood/teens so I'd like to think I have some perspective.

Also I'm happy to pay taxes, I just made that quip because I was pissed at someone telling me the equivalent of "if you don't like it try somewhere else" when I'm trying to give a gently caress about this country.

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 27, 2017

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Okay sure I'm extremely well off when you compare me with someone making minimum wage, what I was trying to say is that I haven't had this income for decades so I don't have real estate lying around or massive investments making me passive income. The current tech bubble is being kind to me, and hopefully I'll get an early retirement out of it, that's all.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Coohoolin posted:

pochoclo should take his tech skills and move to the best part of the island and videogame capital of the world

Actually it's kinda sad but videogame dev jobs pay really low salaries.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Pissflaps posted:

I don't think it's cool of you to boast about how much you're earning thanks to being in this country, then laugh at our misfortune for having made an economically harmful democratic decision.

Frankly, it's rude.

Eh, honestly I'm just extremely pissed off at it all. I don't derive any joy from this situation.

I'm glad I sparked yet another debate about what middle class is, though. I'm just gonna go ahead and say Bakunin was right.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Paxman posted:

That's what you do right, you're saying that the salary that means you pay 50k tax is a really low salary?

I agree that EU people should just be allowed to stay. Also non-EU people because its wrong to discriminate in favour of people just because they happen to come from majority white European countries.

Sadly it seems like an inevitable result of losing freedom of movement because it means that having an EU passport will no longer give you an automatic right to stay here in future. So if we're going to let *existing* EU migrants have some sort of permanent resident status then we have to give them some special documentation to prove they have it. Plain old EU passports won't be enough. And they're going to have to ask for it, because its not as if there's a big central list of where they all live.

A better answer would be to keep freedom of movement I think.

Don't think its going to affect someone from south America though (unless you're here on an EU passport for some reason).

I'm not a game dev. Also I agree, trying to stop immigration has never worked much in the history of the world, and I do have a EU passport. Dual nationality, that's how most Latin-americans get into Europe.

The answer to stop immigration is to make all the world a nice place to live and work in, and by that point I imagine most people would stop caring anyway.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Breath Ray posted:

You could make your home country a nice place to live

Yes, I try to make the UK a better place. Small stuff I won't get into, but every bit helps.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Breath Ray posted:

You could make it better by leaving and taking your entitled attitude with you. Then you could give something back to your poorer home country where your contribution and example could go much further than it would here. Promise me youll sleep on it at least.

Do explain how I'm "entitled", I'm all ears.

Also my home country is the UK. I'm British, does that make you angry?

If you mean the country I was born in, don't worry, my contributions to several charities and family members there sure go a long way, as you say.

Breath Ray posted:

Actually he told us to gently caress off.

No you blithering imbecile, I told those trying to kick me off the country to gently caress off. Do you want me out? Then gently caress you. Otherwise, it wasn't aimed at you.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Breath Ray posted:

I dont know what you're so angry about but if you want to leave go ahead I'm sure we can find someone else with inch thick specs to take your place.

Yeah sure okay bye keep the good troll game up, was fun while it lasted.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
c) spend all your money into an ill-fated attempt to bring about a glorious revolution of the proletariat

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

hakimashou posted:

Nice meltdown

I got baited hard but in my defence I was angry at the news. All the news lately are depressing as gently caress.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Guavanaut posted:

Give a man a fishing trawler and he can't look after it on his own. Give a couple dozen men a trawler in collective ownership and they can all feed themselves forever and also have a few hours off because angling is pretty inefficient in comparison.

Give a couple dozen men a trawler and they'll take out a loan and hire some other men to work it and pay them peanuts, while making a small fortune off their backs.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

and i must meme posted:

who would win in a fight between trotskyite infiltrators and murdoch aligned blairite plotters?

OwlFancier posted:

The Tories.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Yaldabaoth and his legions of flesh.

Regarde Aduck you got beaten friend

EDIT: actually I think Yaldabaoth offers p. good healthcare and cosmic horrors are unionised

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I'd probably vote literal lovecraftian starspawn over human politicians at this point. At least they have a plan, and the means to enact it. Sure they're unspeakable horrors whose very sight breaks the mind, but at least they didn't invent stuff like synthetic CDOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
The stars have been right for a couple decades now but the truth is Cthulhu is loving terrified.

• Locked thread