Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/feb/01/eu-brexit-deal-city-leaked-report-european-parliament-article-50

How will this affect negotiations? Were the Brexiteers right that the continent was dishonestly mitigating their own exposure to risk in this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

Pissflaps posted:

I think it's always been obvious that Brexit is bad for everyone. A bad deal is also bad for everyone.

Yes, but surely it must be conceded that whilst the Brexiteers have been naive in their hope for a great deal for everyone (and lying about monetary savings and the NHS), there has been an ignored weight of dishonesty in the Remainer camp regarding how much more the UK needs the EU than the EU needs the UK (or, namely, the City of London). Personally, I always have and still do take a very dim view of all of the EU politicians that spoke out in vengeful sabre-rattling tones during and since the campaign. If it turns out, after the article 50 negotiation deadline, that it only really had a nominal effect on the UK then I think it would be fair to accuse some politicians of effectively trying to terrorize a nation into membership.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

"I would like you to rule on this matter please sir"

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

I for one cannot wait until I emigrate in August and live my middle class dream abroad.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

It would be a bit of an anticlimax if this did all boil down to some rather expensive and dramatic paperwork.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

OwlFancier posted:

Oh well now that you say it it's settled.

What Pissflaps says is, and usually is, at least realistic.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

This is quickly becoming ironic because recently Pissflaps has been pretty correct whenever this .gif has been deployed in retort.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

Dabir posted:

What if no party reflects your views?

Isn't that what independents are for?

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

Pissflaps posted:

When did I say it's not good enough for me?

Out of interest, who would you consider voting for at this moment, if there was a snap election?

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

The effect that large numbers of international students have on the student housing situation for British students is probably underreported too.

I've worked in a couple private accomodation halls who all have started refurbishing the apartmentments, raising the rent through the roof, and end up almost fully populated with International students who can afford the higher rents, and tend to pay fully up front (and tend to cause less trouble, tbh). Loads of poorer/British students end up house-sharing in old, lovely houses on council estates (where they have to pay even more for commuting to uni).

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

jabby posted:

Fields are great when they're growing crops or full of cows/sheep/etc. Most green belt land isn't like that.

Agriculture is hugely damaging to the environment. The best, and most sustainable, method of sharing environments with nature and people is probably the Satoyama Initiative. Just from the wiki:

quote:

"The vision of the Satoyama Initiative is to realize societies in harmony with nature, comprising human communities where the maintenance and development of socio-economic activities including agriculture and forestry align with natural processes. The Initiative is based on the idea that by managing and using biological resources sustainably and thus properly maintaining biodiversity, humans will be able to enjoy a stable supply of various natural assets well into the future."

Satoyama is actually the subject of my thesis so I know an inordinately large amount about it.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

Jedit posted:

I will also attest that Roseberry Topping is not a mountain, having walked up it then walked a further 34 miles in the same day.

What are you, a Roman legion?

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

I unironically want to win the lottery and retire to live in a renovated castle or fort in Cumbria, where I can eat Kendall Mint Cake and Grasmere Gingerbread for every meal of every day and throw eggs off the parapets at poor people passing by.

Also, I would paint the whole thing pink with yellow polkadots just to ruin the view for everyone.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

It was impossible for Labour to be proper opposition in regards to this bill in practice, but it wasn't impossible to be a collective opposition in principle.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

I would like a party that was more centrist and less libertarian than the Greens, but just as environmentally driven.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

OwlFancier posted:

The world wars really were basically entirely political conflicts and I wish more people remembered that.

Thats a little reductionist.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

I have a memory of salt and vinegar and cheese and onion packet colors being opposite when I was a kid, for some reason.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

I think we should have more atomic energized foods

Like pink grapefruit.

IIRC the whole "legal tender" thing is bullshit and no salesman is obligated to sell you anything, at anytime, for any price (in english or scottish sterling, or anything else for that matter). No one "has to" accept any note. There is no effect on the party's right of refusal of service.

No one in England has to accept Scottish money.

Rakosi fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 17, 2017

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

It's not really a shocker in that he is right that people across the country find that an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

How is everyone coping with Storm Doris?

• Locked thread