Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60uHy-cUmHw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Hope is dead
And so are you

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Trickjaw posted:

Please don't say that, I'm in hospital right now, and happy to note the staff are better than we deserve. Two things I have learned: I) Shouting ' Get your hands off me, you black bastard' does not assure preferential service and II) Catheters are the work of the devil, and I wish them to every Tory.

why are you calling the staff black bastards?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think that Spain having a right wing dictatorship within living memory for a lot of the population might put them off right wing nationalism.

just a hunch mind.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
speaking of a right wing dictatorship

https://twitter.com/NoorAjaj/status/826507461540642816?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tesseraction posted:

That's from 2016.

it says right there 2017!!!

6 - the number of lib dem MPs voting against brexit

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

i don't think she was serious

she looked pretty serious

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Nationalists' meeting raided by balaclava gang 'dressed like special forces' with guns

A gathering of 'far right nationalists' in a village social centre was raided by suspected anti-fascists who allegedly fired air guns, threw chairs and swung fire extinguishers.

Terrified onlookers were forced to barricade themselves inside as the balaclava-clad gang, dressed like a 'special forces unit', smashed the windows of Almondsbury Sports and Social Centre and attacked members of the meeting.

Three people were left injured after the raid against the group, said to be called the 'Bristol Forum', which one person said was formed of nationalists.

"By the way [the attackers] acted they gave the impression they'd done this sort of thing before and their silence, dress and general 'professionalism' added to the sense of menace'," said Mr Romilly, who lives in Plymouth but attended the meeting with a friend.

He said the meeting was made up of people who 'discriminate in favour of [their] own people'.

Mr Romilly described how the chaos unfolded at about 3pm on Saturday, January 7, one hour after the meeting started.

"I was asking one of the speakers a question, then there was a sound like a rifle shot and the first window glass splintered, shards of glass scattering over the place where the speaker had been sitting moments before," he said.

"This was followed by a series of sharp cracks as a succession of windows were broken by a fire extinguisher and by chairs brought up from a lower floor.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/villag...tail/story.html

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
the notion of health tourism is a bit ridiculous really, you'd have to be coming from further afield than Europe really and if you could afford to do that then you probably have enough cash to afford healthcare.

theoretically the most likely place that health tourists would come from would be America, but most Americans have no concept of free healthcare so they don't.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

According to BBC newsnight the total spent on 'foreign patients' is £1 billion with £200 million spent on non recoverable 'health tourists'.

Though it's not just foreign people - British people who live elsewhere aren't necessarily entitled to free healthcare.

For 2015/16, the overall NHS budget was around £116.4 billion.

health Tourism is not even 0.2% of the overall budget.

we spent over 10 billion on an abandoned IT system.

there are other places to look for making the NHS more efficient and saving cash if you must do that.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

learnincurve posted:

I once listened to a ex-pat from South Africa rant and rave about how he had paid his NI stamps while living in SA for 30 years and was SHOCKED AND DISCUSTED when he turned up in the UK asking for a heart operation and the NHS told him to gently caress off. "I'VE PAID IN ALL MY LIFE AND THEY GET TO TURN UP HERE RIGHT OF THE BOATS AND GET FREE TREATMENT" and so on and so forth.

haha whoops, he didn't think to check at any point?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

Yeah it's definitely a relatively small problem, and requires a commensurately measured response.

But I think insisting it's not worth acknowledging could only make it a worse problem for the reasons I highlighted earlier.

people think it's a far worse problem than it is, because highlighting it as a problem fits into the 'all forrins' are bad' narrative that is the zeitgeist these days.

I am sure the NHS is on top of this, but the problem would have to get dramatically worse for it to become a real issue.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
spinach and cabbage and kale far superior to lettuce

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
lettuce is a loving scrub tier veg

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
why would you eat lettuce when you can eat spinach??

Feb 3 - 1488 - The Portuguese navigator Bartholomeu Diaz landed at Mossal Bay in the Cape, the first European known to have landed on the southern extremity of Africa.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

kale needs cooking and cabbage is usually best cooked if its not coleslaw. watercress is best for sandwiches imo

u can put spinach in sandwiches and it is v good.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
brexit won a vote, I am not sure if people really know what's good for them.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

What's bizarre about it? We voted to leave the eu and people are being asked if it was right or wrong that we did.

right or wrong is an odd way of phrasing it - it's not a moral choice

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
lol loving hell and the labour party voted for a war which caused hundreds if not thousands of rapes and murders

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Tony Blair is a war criminal and the labour party should not be supported until they as a group call for his arrest.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
does anyone give a gently caress about the SWP though?

problem is to the average outside person who knows nothing of the scandal it all sounds either like student politics or a whole people's front of judea type of a deal

e/ and yeah takes the focus off what the protest is about and puts it on the protestors

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Yorkshire Tea posted:

He's literally not. Unfortunately acting immorally isn't actually against the law.

he literally is, and he's responsible for a thousand times more rapes than the SWP

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

okay so i read the New Statesman instead of the guardian to keep the lib stuff to a minimum, but today i'm presented with this

http://www.newstatesman.com/science-tech/social-media/2017/02/furred-reich-truth-about-nazi-furries-and-alt-right

is literally the entirety of the british press terrible?

lol goddamn furry's ahahah

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
he is a war criminal simple as that, I know that technically they didn't ratify that nuremberg judgement thing until 2010 which means technically he's not a war criminal.

but he lied to parliament to take us to war.

he is guilty of committing the supreme crime, simple as that.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Yorkshire Tea posted:

So what you're saying is that he's literally not a war criminal by any definition but your own opinion. Given this you think it's a good idea for the labour party to call for his arrest, despite knowing that he hasn't done anything illegal because reasons?

he lied to parliament about the reasons for war, that's got to be illegal.

and the war criminal thing, well I am sure we can get him on something.

parliament is sovereign, let's just make this poo poo retroactive and lock him up.

fucker's a war criminal, just get some spurious charges, put him in front of a jury of his peers and get his rear end locked up.

I would cite the judicial ruling of nuremberg as precedent for what he did.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
All I'm saying is the Tory party has literally covered up institutional pedophilia in front of everyone's eyes and people still vote for them.

Theresa May actually covered up for the rapists at Yarl's wood and people think she is the best choice to lead the country.

So as detestable as the SWP may or may not be (I really have no loving clue whether they're a cult) the fact that they covered up sexual assault, might make it not be as poisonous electorally to share platforms with them.

i mean that's the reality. the prime minister of the UK actually buried reports of rapes because it would harm the commercial interests of a company and it hasn't held her back one iota.

like it or not that's the reality.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Wheat Loaf posted:

The first time I became aware of Diane Abbott (and Jeremy Corbyn, incidentally) was in an A-level politics class (close to 10 years ago now) where we were talking about campaign strategies and messaging, and we were shown a larger version of this poster which I think was from 1987.

(I don't think that's really Ken Livingstone, though, because he doesn't mention Hitler once.)

bloody hell, Mark Lamarr looks young!

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Pissflaps is a racist who hates race mixing, film at 11

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fangz posted:

They need to represent their voters, not the notional average voter in their constituency. So what if 90% of the tory voters in their constituency voted Leave, if you chase after them and forget the 80% of labour voters that voted for you voted Remain you will be loving hosed. Those Tory voters won't go for you in any circumstance while the government is implementing brexit, while the remainers will happily stop voting for you.

a lot of labour members voted remain, a lot of labour voters voted leave.

this isn't hard to grasp, it's also what makes Labour's situation - whoever is leading - really loving tricky at the moment.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
it was 63% of labour voters who voted remain, and how many former labour voters voted UKIP at the last election?

also a lot of historical labour voters who recently switched to UKIP in the last general or two voted leave.

the point is 30% / 40% that's still a significant proportion of labour voters who voted leave. it's a hard loving problem to reconcile.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

These people aren't coming back to Jeremy Corbyn's Labour.

and they sure as gently caress ain't coming back to a pro-remain labour

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

The labour voters that stayed labour voters sure as gently caress aren't going to stick around for pro Brexit Labour.

well this is the problem then isn't it, labour seemed to be damned if they do and damned if they don't.

there is really no magical perfect way out of this that labour can waltz out of.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

You're right. Labour is hosed.

Corbyn has hosed Brexit and hosed the Labour Party.

Has Labour ever had a worse leader?

this isn't the takeaway.

how could any other leader manage this better? come out impotently trying to stop brexit? how will that play in the press? in the north? does it realistically have any chance of being successful?

let's assume you're a charistmatic, popular labour leader Pissflaps, what would you do in this situation?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

I would have stayed true to my principles and opposed Brexit at every opportunity.

congrats u have just hosed the labour party and you hold no seats in the north of england

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fangz posted:

Just actually loving stand up for the thing you believe in. The press and the public like or hate all sorts of positions but they hate phoneys most of all.

And they can smell a phoney a mile away on this.

loving hell, through the brexit campaign corbyn was about the most real about all of this 'no the EU isn't perfect but it's better we stay in and try to reform it'.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

The polls suggest otherwise.

Pissflaps, in Middlesbrough:

40,477 Votes to leave
21,181 Votes to remain
19,296 Leave Majority

Tell me, how does labour appeal to voters in Middlesbrough by being pro-remain?

http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/update/2016-06-24/eu-referendum-middlesbrough-votes-to-leave-the-eu/

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fangz posted:

And then the moment it ends he's like 'let's declare A50 immediately'. And now Labour's (and let's be fair here, half the thread's) entire position is "uh, yes we love brexit so you loving moron bigoted leavers will vote for us" and "we'll fight with everything we've got to deliver a good brexit!!! except we'll vote yes on triggering A50 ASAP even if it violates our every principle"

it's more a case of, this has been voted upon in a referendum and we will go along with it.

I may not like it, you may not like it, but it is consistent with a belief in democracy.

now the whole referendum was obviously a stupid loving idea to begin with.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
look pissflaps it's okay to say you hate him because he had a mixed race relationship, we know that's what makes you angry - that he likes 'urban' life so much

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

spectralent posted:

But yeah, now I'm wondering what the gently caress he's doing. This is just sloppy in a way that his usual not-playing-by-the-rules isn't.

to be fair to the guy it's handling an unprecedented situation, and there is really no clearly ideal solution for labour.

he believes in democracy and after parliament supported calling the referendum he's supporting the result of that.

you may not like it, but it's a logically consistent position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

spectralent posted:

Where is the representation of the other 48% of the country? Or, to be frank, the representation for democracy period, given that it's becoming increasingly obvious that Brexit is threatening the elected class and judicary?

well this is why a yes / no referendum on such a contentious decision was always a really loving stupid idea.

there was always going to be this problem to reconcile re: representation and I sure as poo poo don't know the answer.

• Locked thread