Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

jBrereton posted:

If he believed in democracy he would go. The country at large is tired of him. His opposition to the EU is not rooted in democracy, it is rooted in him not liking the EU.

he's won two leadership elections in the last two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fangz posted:

Democracy, as in the belief that if you win a narrow referendum with an arbitary amount of lies, you (an unelected PM) are allowed to interpret that decision however you want and no one can have a say on it, even if the situation changes and your lies are revealed and your decisions are going to lead to the literal opposite of what you promised.

yeah, democracy is a bit poo poo sometimes and our particular form of it is debased and corrupted. no poo poo.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

jBrereton posted:

The membership voted to Remain. If he was just interested in their opinions he would be the head of a party that opposed Brexit.

he did head a party that opposed Brexit, unfortunately remain lost the referendum.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

spectralent posted:

Where is the representation for half the country if all lawmaking and negotiating parties need to abide by the majority, however slim?

I don't think it's a great situation, and clearly on such fundamental constitutional issues such referenda if you really must have them should be 2/3rds majority or something like that so there IS a clear mandate for something.

this referendum was a right royal cock up from start to finish and continues to be so.

jBrereton posted:

Only one in six people think he should be PM. Does that not signal he should go, if he believes in democracy?

opinion polls ain't elections you loving weapon

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fangz posted:

I am pretty in favour of just picking some random homeless guy off the street at this point.

remember the ancient greeks at one point drew lots to decide who would be their politicians, so it has precedent

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

jBrereton posted:

What the gently caress are you on about.

A counternarrative is not a way to lose votes. At no point did I suggest that. I said the current and indeed long term former strategy of a half arsed joining in with the "yeah gently caress em" attitude while immigration actually soars was never going to work.

immigration has not soared.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
ah yes what labour need to be is more like the tories

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
i think it would be best for labour if they put away their childish notions of being a left wing party and let the grown ups run things

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The electorate is literally voting for their MP and only their MP but people are voting as if they are in a presidential election. This has a lot of really bad consequences and is part of the reason why the House of Commons is so full of rubbish former SPADs (and the like)

this is solid fact

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

HJB posted:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4192022/Nigel-Farage-sharing-pad-French-politician.html

Interesting that it's the Daily Mail who have turned on him. The top comment, which is anti-Brexit, even has more upvotes than downvotes.

clearly farage is a breast man

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Newcastle United's army of fans is used to long journeys, and one found a way to cut the cost of a trip to Oxford - but it needed 56 separate rail tickets.

Jonny Heywood booked split tickets from Tyneside for the Magpies' fourth round FA Cup clash last weekend.

Mr Heywood said he saved £56 by not buying one ticket for the whole trip - but was left with a stack of seat reservations and returns.

He and his girlfriend were left juggling 28 tickets each.

In his tweet, Mr Heywood, of Washington, jokingly thanked his friend for the "worst advice" he said he had ever received.

The tweet prompted other people to tell of their own thriftiness, including a football fan who posted a picture of a mound of tickets for a trip to see Southampton, which he said saved him £30.

Split tickets can save passengers money as separate fares for each leg of a journey - all on the same train - are sometimes cheaper than one ticket covering the entire trip.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-38827931

kinda funny but also highlights how ridiculous the rail fare system in the UK is.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

OwlFancier posted:

Why are fascist and champion of forgotten millions mutually exclusive?

it's funny because fascists like to purposefully forget millions

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

jabby posted:

Anyone who thinks Labour should support remaining in the EU should watch Caroline Lucas on Peston today. As much as I admire her she had absolutely no answer to the question of 'why did you support a referendum and now reject leaving the EU?' and it's painful to watch. Possibly because it's an impossible question to answer.

you would have thought she might have anticipated that question, and maybe prepare for it

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The answer is actually "We wanted a referendum because it would tear the Tory Party apart when it didn't go the way of the Eurosceptics".

went well didn't it

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
let's ban anime

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

baka kaba posted:

I just checked and it was Namtab

Namtab is first off to the Anime camp

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
First they came for the bronies, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a brony.

Then they came for the furries, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a furry.

Then they came for the anime fans, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not an anime fan.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
rasta mouse is good

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWp0tPAXjUE

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

forkboy84 posted:

God. I'd completely erased that from my memory.

what about this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-lLTun4_q0

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

mid-life crisis, he's got himself a Ferrari

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38QuMtv5KyY

this is stewart lee's finest work

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

mehall posted:

YouGov have specifically asked Labour voters what they want on Brexit, and the results are as spread as we've all been saying for months:

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/828907418692284416

42% for 2nd Referendum vs. 37% against
45% for No Brexit vs. 35% against
28% for Hard Brexit vs. 35% against
36% for Soft Brexit vs. 31% against

Don't care or don't know at least 20% in each question, up to as much as 37% when talking about Hard Brexit.

so more people against a second referendum than against a hard brexit.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think it just shows that there really is no easy answer for Labour on this one

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
you cannot oppose the will of the british people

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
not sure if it is pissflaps

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
the countryside is great and should be treasured where possible, fields are great for the ecosystem, wild life and for walking in.

I like walking through fields

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
there are poor people in the countryside too remember.

I grew up in Somerset and being able to roam around on bikes, explore woods and be outside in the fresh air was great.

The countryside is an asset and for most cities in the UK except london and maybe birmingham you're really not far from some spectacular scenery

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
it doesn't help that buses + trains are expensive and poo poo.

even major metropolitain areas in the united states have cheaper busses + trains than the UK.

in New york it costs $125 for a month of unlimited subway + bus use, Chicago it's $100 for unlimited subway + busses.

in England rural bus routes are being cut all the time, which effect old people + the poor + young the most.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

On the other hand, there is no public transport at all in rural America.

yeah, but gas is cheap and the roads straight and simple.

the difference in scale between the two places is ridiculous.

having a comprehensive public transport system in rural America would be insane simply because of the distances involved.

a lot of suburban areas do have pretty good public transport systems.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zephro posted:

I mean it's always going to be expensive to send a bus tooling out ten miles to the middle of Ruralshire to pick up one or two people

the problem comes when you have to make it profitable

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
things have got a lot worse with rural bus routes over the last 15 years.

e/ also some british cities are still poo poo with public transport.

Bristol for instance, it's a loving mess, it should have a tram or some sort of better train system.

you cannot get a train directly from south of the river to north of the river, you have to change at temple meads. madness.

JFairfax fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 8, 2017

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
when you say working on, do you mean 'talking about' ?

because they've been talking about it since the 1990s

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
this is slanderous.

BS3 superiority.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Looke posted:

talking about is probably a better phrasing

it finished the second round of consultations last december

https://travelwest.info/projects/metrowest

i honestly believe they will do this, it's not planned to be operational till 2020 at the earliest, but it will be more useful than the loving metrobus

BS8 reppin'

oh sweet naive child

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

haha good for him.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
maybe it's four days a week in parliament and one in his constituency ?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sion posted:

Here's a question.

What happens if google or amazon decide they don't want to pay taxes anymore. What happens if they go 'nah, I think we'll opt out of that.'

that's what's happening already lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
like teachers parliament gets about 3 months off a year

• Locked thread