Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
pissflaps who does your real doll think would make a good leader of the labour party?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Private Eye posted:

But they started it isn't something we accept from children.

Corbyn hasn't won within his own party. He has been roundly beaten among the plp, which is the branch of the party that is able to actually effect Labour policy. Corbyn didn't even win among the old-guard of the party membership. He won because he energised an incredible amount of new people to vote for him. He then three-line whipped brexit which is going to turn most of those people off him (and probably to the lib dems). His support in the party has always been tenuous, now he's going to start losing the base that elected him.

It's a drat sight more left than the current government.

Corbyn's team is another thing. From multiple accounts it just sounds like he's surrounded himself with incredibly incompetent inexperienced people who want to play politics.

I don't disagree that Labour haven't made it easy for him, and their decision to run a leadership election straight after the tories shambles basically made Labour look disorganised and the tories look a paragon of efficiency. The vote of no confidence was spectacularly ill-timed (but then after that he should have gone, how does it look to the public when the party leader doesn't have the confidence of his party, and still refuses to resign? It comes across as dictatorial). But this was always going to happen. Corbyn was an incredibly bad choice for leader because he's on the fringes of the party (and his amazing record of dissent, apparently Cameron voted more times with Labour than him!?! What the gently caress authority does that give him when whipping votes?). Someone from the wings is never going to be able to lead the masses.

And now it's come across that an unpolished, untrained politician inexperienced with high-office is actually poo poo at playing the politics of high office.

The movement that elected him didn't think any of these things through. They thought his record of disloyalty in voting against his own party was a badge of honour, rather than a negative when you're a leader trying to convince people to be loyal to you and vote with you. They thought his unpolished, un-tainted-by-high-office persona was good, rather than it proving there's a reason why ministers do the rounds in the lower positions before reaching the top. They thought his contentious views were a plus (the whole hamas, ira thing, fine, think whatever you want about them, but his view is essentially smacked-up student politics). The team around him are fantastically incompetent (that vice documentary on them was hilarious for all the wrong reasons), and Seamus Milne? For gently caress sake really? They thought his strong, uncompromising position was admirable (this one I kindof agree with, but the ability to compromise is essential in parliament, and his constant rejection of sharing a platform with Cameron during the EU referendum to me showed that he places petty personal politics above the national interest- again student politics smacked-up).

All this stuff turns people off Corbyn and Labour. They're just not a serious party with him at the helm. They're a student's union that got out of control.

I'm not exactly sure if the tories are a serious party either, they're pretty incompetent and dont have a loving clue how to handle brexit, or negotiate.

'serious' seems to be 'happy to bomb people'

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Private Eye posted:

They just took a Labour heartland seat because of their perceived professionalism in dealing with brexit. If they're incompetent, then what the gently caress are Labour?

do you think the tories have a clue when it comes to brexit?

I mean the country voted brexit on the back of lies, I don't think *actual* competency matters

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Private Eye posted:

What I think doesn't matter. At the moment, the tories have a clear strategy which they're sticking too on brexit. This strategy doesn't alienate most of their own voters. The same can't be said for Labour. This whataboutism doesn't work here when Labour are being so much worse than the tories.

I think we've clearly established that the problem for labour is that either position (pro or anti) brexit alienates a large number of their current and potential voters. there is no silver bullet position for them to take.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fangz posted:

Let's hold hands and try and have a kumbaya moment.

Pro-Corbyn people: please list 3 good things about Blair and New Labour

Anti-Corbyn people: please list 3 good things about Corbyn and his folks

No passive-aggressiveness please

mo mowlem, tony blair knowing he's going to hell, minimum wage

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Tony Blair has shown us the danger of having a religious fundamentalist in charge

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fangz posted:

I kinda specified no passive aggressiveness, also 'bunch of good stuff' is kinda the vagueness I was trying to avoid.

they made some money privatising air traffic control

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
lol gently caress london

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Revealed: how US billionaire helped to back Brexit

Robert Mercer, who bankrolled Donald Trump, played key role with ‘sinister’ advice on using Facebook data

The US billionaire who helped bankroll Donald Trump’s campaign for the presidency played a key role in the campaign for Britain to leave the EU, the Observer has learned.

It has emerged that Robert Mercer, a hedge-fund billionaire, who helped to finance the Trump campaign and who was revealed this weekend as one of the owners of the rightwing Breitbart News Network, is a long-time friend of Nigel Farage. He directed his data analytics firm to provide expert advice to the Leave campaign on how to target swing voters via Facebook – a donation of services that was not declared to the electoral commission.

Cambridge Analytica, an offshoot of a British company, SCL Group, which has 25 years’ experience in military disinformation campaigns and “election management”, claims to use cutting-edge technology to build intimate psychometric profiles of voters to find and target their emotional triggers. Trump’s team paid the firm more than $6m (£4.8m) to target swing voters, and it has now emerged that Mercer also introduced the firm – in which he has a major stake – to Farage.

The communications director of Leave.eu, Andy Wigmore, told the Observer that the longstanding friendship between Nigel Farage and the Mercer family led Mercer to offer his help – free – to the Brexit campaign because of their shared goals. Wigmore said that he introduced Farage and Leave.eu to Cambridge Analytica: “They were happy to help. Because Nigel is a good friend of the Mercers. And Mercer introduced them to us. He said, ‘Here’s this company we think may be useful to you’. What they were trying to do in the US and what we were trying to do had massive parallels. We shared a lot of information.”

The strategy involved harvesting data from people’s Facebook and other social media profiles and then using machine learning to “spread” through their networks. Wigmore admitted the technology and the level of information it gathered from people was “creepy”. He said the campaign used this information, combined with artificial intelligence, to decide who to target with highly individualised advertisements and had built a database of more than a million people, based on advice Cambridge Analytica supplied. Two weeks ago Arron Banks, Leave.eu’s founder, stated in a series of tweets that Gerry Gunster (Leave.eu’s pollster) and Cambridge Analytica with “world class” AI had helped them gain “unprecedented levels of engagement”. “AI won it for Leave,” he said.

By law, all donations of services-in-kind worth more than £7,500 must be reported to the electoral commission. A spokesman said that no donation from the company or Mercer to Leave.eu had been filed.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/26/us-billionaire-mercer-helped-back-brexit

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What did Eichmann do in Jerusalem?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fangz posted:

Cool then. I don't disagree.

EDIT: I will note though that the regulation you suggest would it seems to me rather run counter to what leftist regulation would lead to. I don't think it's generally longstanding leftist policy to try to tighten rules for lending by banks (i.e. prevent loans to poor people who have a lower chance of being able to repay it)? I think it's more common to suggest policies to force banks to lend more, instead of less.

As for the Financial Crisis of 2008 it is important to note that there was regulation put in place after the crash of 1929 called the Glass-Stegal act which:

"prohibits commercial banks from engaging in the investment business.

"It was enacted as an emergency response to the failure of nearly 5,000 banks during the Great Depression. The act was originally part of President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal program and became a permanent measure in 1945. It gave tighter regulation of national banks to the Federal Reserve System; prohibited bank sales of securities; and created the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC), which insures bank deposits with a pool of money appropriated from banks."

"The Glass-Steagall Act restored public confidence in banking practices during the Great Depression. However, many historians believe that the commercial bank securities practices of the time had little actual effect on the already devastated economy and were not a major contributor to the Depression. Some legislators and bank reformers argued that the act was never necessary, or that it had become outdated and should be repealed.

"Congress responded to these criticisms in passing the Gramm-Leach-Bilely Act of 1999, which made significant changes to Glass-Steagall. The 1999 law did not make sweeping changes in the types of business that may be conducted by an individual bank, broker-dealer or insurance company. Instead, the act repealed the Glass-Steagall Act's restrictions on bank and securities-firm affiliations. It also amended the Bank Holding Company Act to permit affiliations among financial services companies, including banks, securities firms and insurance companies. The new law sought financial modernization by removing the very barriers that Glass-Steagall had erected."

Less than ten years later we had the financial crisis LOL.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
oooh it's nearly march.

can they just loving get on with this by election quickly please

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

big scary monsters posted:

In other Prime Minister Emeritus news, good to see that Cameron has been keeping himself busy with worthwhile endeavours.
https://twitter.com/David_Cameron/status/836294380281606144

are you loving kidding me?

MASSIVE LOLZ

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

mediadave posted:

I don't think this is true

Oh yes it is:

Blair 'prayed to God' over Iraq

Prime Minister Tony Blair has told how he prayed to God when deciding whether or not to send UK troops to Iraq.

Mr Blair answered "yes" when asked on ITV1 chat show Parkinson - to be screened on Saturday - if he had sought holy intervention on the issue.

"Of course, you struggle with your own conscience about it... and it's one of these situations that, I suppose, very few people ever find themselves in."

Anti-war campaigners attacked Mr Blair's comments as "a joke".

Mr Blair told show host Michael Parkinson: "In the end, there is a judgement that, I think if you have faith about these things, you realise that judgement is made by other people... and if you believe in God, it's made by God as well."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4772142.stm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG77Jhr28BI

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well this is a thing

Police are being overwhelmed by the number of reports about child sexual abuse and need to consider alternative approaches for less serious cases, the UK’s lead officer on child protection has said.

Simon Bailey, the head of Operation Hydrant – the nationwide inquiry into historical child sexual abuse – said forces were operating beyond capacity because of the sheer volume of reports.

“The numbers are continuing to rise,” he told the Times. “We have reached saturation point ... The police service has responded to the threat but it has now reached that point whereby we have to try and turn the tide. We have to look at alternatives.”

Options would include giving counselling and rehabilitation to lower level offenders, so that officers could concentrate on dealing with the most dangerous paedophiles with access to children, and those looking at the most serious images of abuse, Bailey said.

Offenders found to have viewed online images should only be spared a custodial sentence if they were risk assessed and would not have the potential to come into contact with children, he said. They would also continue to be monitored.

Bailey, who is the chief constable of Norfolk and lead on child protection for the National Police Chiefs’ Council said: “Let’s be really clear: somebody going online and using their credit card to direct the abuse of a child in the Philippines should be locked up, categorically.

“That individual who is not in contact with children and doesn’t pose a threat to children and is looking at low-level images ... when you look at everything else that’s going on, and the threat that’s posed of contact abuse to children, we have to look at doing something different with those individuals.”

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/feb/28/child-sexual-abuse-claims-overwhelming-police-says-lead-officer

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
has pancake day been rebranded?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Are you sure you're on the correct mailing list?

• Locked thread