Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ewan posted:

Also I hate "Given name" that's a horrible Americanism that lots of people wouldn't understand.
I thought the proper term for first name was 'forename'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

https://twitter.com/Daniel_Cousins/status/826814761656582144

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Darth Walrus posted:

The vote was to get the bill to the stage where amendments could be added, rather than having it get blocked straight out the gate. We haven't actually got to the important bit yet.
I was under the impression that Labour had basically promised to vote for the bill whether or not any amendments got added. Has there been an update where they're showing more spine?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

TomViolence posted:

Christ alive, you lot, why do you still respond to Pissflaps?
I have consistently voted against it but democracy doesn't work

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jose posted:

the donalds brain is definiteyl on its way out

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/828575949268606977
No way in hell does Trump use words like 'accumulation' or 'marginalise'. Fake tweets, so SAD

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

WeAreTheRomans posted:

He's only vulnerable to plane crashes
If this was true we wouldn't be in this mess.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

kingturnip posted:

'Labour insider's are like 'compassionate Tories' - inventions of the press.
Labour insider? I barely knew 'er!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

LemonDrizzle posted:

Based on the current polls she's unlikely to win
Did I miss something that makes polls worth listening to again? Because 'polls fail to capture surge in right-wing votes' is somewhat in fashion at the moment.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Zephro posted:

Hi goons.

I'm writing my will. Not because I'm about to die (as far as I know, anyway), but because it's a good idea.
Mind if I ask how you're going about it? I've thought "I should probably do that sometime" for like a decade but I'm not sure if I have to actually go talk to a legal man or if any of the dodgy-sounding websites offering the service are legit.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

jBrereton posted:

Labour needs a new policy the Tories have to respond to that isn't really intellectual and that most people agree with.
Basic income (paid for by taxing the rich). Land value tax and/or empty property tax. There's no shortage of simple and good policies around which to base a strategy of constantly reminding people that it is Rich Bastards who are responsible for things being shite.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ukle posted:

Also put a hold on all but essential immigration in a region until this metric is met.
I disagree with this part. The problem is that Labour is currently going along with the Tory narrative of "it's foreigners to blame for all the problems" and offering slightly different solutions to them, which leaves them perpetually on the defensive and chasing the Tories' lead. (To say nothing of it being backwards and simply wrong.)

Instead, they need to stridently advocate a counter-narrative of "no it isn't, it's the loving Tories! Look at them! They're loving you right now! It's always been them!" And for that to happen they need to stop implicitly accepting immigration as a problem and focus hard on what miserable cunts the Tories are.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ukle posted:

The problem is Labour have already lost the immigration argument, and now need to embrace it as its by far the biggest issue for a significant section of the voting populous.
Embracing a lie because it's popular and easy isn't a winning political strategy, it's an apathetic admission of defeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

Wonder what they'll ban instead of fixing structural problems.
Given the headline I would assume blood and/or streets.

• Locked thread