Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

I think a newspaper which occasionally attacks inequality & low pay does its cause immeasurable damage by exploiting unpaid schemes like this which ultimately are going to favour people whose parents are wealthy enough to give their kid a 2 week free ride, on top of already paying for them to be able to afford London rents

But then liberals are generally terrible on discrimination based on class & economic measures so that's hardly a shocker. Still a lovely look.
I think they might be getting less liberal and more radical recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

One thing to remember about the education correlation for Brexit - it's not just a matter of information, but security. A shortage of qualifications limits your access to jobs and gives you significantly less of a safety net when things go tits-up. That's not a combination that typically encourages voting for the status quo.
People who are scared and want security usually vote with the status quo, unless something has gone very wrong over the immediately preceding era.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, just that something has gone very wrong over the immediately preceding era.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

Tell me, how much better do you see the refugee situation without the EU?
It's a counterfactual, but it could have been much better. Without the Common Agricultural Policy and other Eurocentric protectionism existing since the mid-60s, farmers are able to operate more comfortably in the Levant and North Africa, leading to farms not collapsing in Syria, a desperate rural population not converging on Syrian cities, riots not happening, harsh countermeasures to said riots never occurring, a division in higher military policy never happening, and thus nothing even approaching the current situation resulting. We'd probably also need 'without NATO' and a couple of other variables too though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

LemonDrizzle posted:

This is insane argument because it assumes that individual member states would somehow be less agriculturally protectionist than they are now if the EU didn't exist, even though the EU is a broadly market-oriented liberal organisation and has massively increased external countries' access to European markets over the course of its existence.
Your argument on the other hand assumes that they would have the ability to be more protectionist as individual states than they would clubbing together to gently caress over their immediate periphery.

It's a well known fact that we import two thirds of our cheese etc. etc. and that is a disgrace, if the Levantine and North African farms were able to compete against the European ones why wouldn't we go with them absent any large scale structure to penalize buying non-Euro? Some sense of white loyalty?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The English regions should get their own devolved powers. Scotland, Northumbria, and Yorkshire would be able to join legislative forces against Anglia, Chiltern and the London city-state.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

If the people of Glasgow, Inverness & Aberdeen can handle being "ruled" from Edinburgh, I reckon the folk of Middlesbrough & Durham should suck it up & accept being ruled from Newcastle.
Durham yes, but should Middlesbrough be ruled from Newcastle or York?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zephro posted:

If they just nuke all of London, Birmingham and a few other cities and replace the rows of pointless suburban houses with tiny gardens with low-rise courtyarded apartments like you get in Vienna or Amsterdam, with lots of little parks everywhere, that would solve all problems
Hell, just do the first bit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zephro posted:

The South West is very unaffordable (source: I lived there). Local wages are low (according to this the median income is between £17k and £20k) and prices are very high compared to those wages (£239,371 is between 12 and 14 times the median wage quoted by that map). Prices are bid up by people from the South East retiring down there or buying holiday houses.

jBrereton posted:

It's also worth pointing out that house prices in Yorkshire are very variable. A three bed with a garden can set you back £300,000 or more in York, which will buy you about two streets in Hull.

Better to reign in Hull, than serve in Devon.

e: 1845 - The Andover workhouse scandal is exposed.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 7, 2017

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Me: "Well maybe he just wants to rename it to the Equalities Committee to imply that gender equality is of equal importance to the other oh wait it's world class piece of poo poo Philip Davies."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mehall posted:

Secondly, those communities were hopeful ahead of Brexit that it may improve relations with their countries of origin, or by the lies told about the NHS (and before anyone steps in Pissflaps to challenge that, no I don't mean literally all of them, but both those aspects are highly relevant for those communities.)
Or were told that the EU was full of violent animals that want anyone not white and european dead.

Which given the coverage of PEGIDA marches, Marine Le Pen and burkini bans, and the governments in Hungary and Poland, and that guy from Eastern Europe who came over and murdered a Muslim pensioner and tried to bomb mosques to start a race war, it wasn't the hardest sell.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pistol_Pete posted:

The proportion of Britain that's "ruined" by being covered by houses, roads etc. is..... less than 2.5%.

Oh dear me posted:

That is a really dishonest figure. Over 10% of England is urban. Yes, urban areas contain many thousands of little bits of greenery, but this is not countryside.
I think both of these figures might be true.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

What's wrong with post-industrial landscapes, I live in one and I like it fine :colbert:
It'd be nice if the empty factories were turned into anything other than the next batch of luxury condos/student flats or ashtrays.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Hey, did you know that far more couples got married back when you needed to be married to get a mortgage, a woman needed the permission of her husband to make large purchases, divorce was shameful, and unmarried men were considered to be unreliable workers?

That was pretty great, right? And you know whose fault it is that traditional marriage (no gays) is in decline?

:spooky: The European Union :spooky:

Apparently because they weakened traditional self-reliance, which is why people aren't reliant on the institution of marriage any more. :confused:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Economically at least.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

When people say complain about "the countryside being ruined" I suspect they're primarily concerned about not having to spend time around people, probably foreign looking and/or poor people.
I'm thinking about checking the date on a can of something to spray on Paul Nuttall if he tries to come near my begonias.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jabby posted:

There are people who genuinely love the environment, but most people who complain about the countryside being ruined are NIMBYs who couldn't give a poo poo about biodiversity as long as it doesn't affect their house prices. Actively protesting or blocking housebuilding while people are sleeping on the streets and families are spending years in tiny hotel rooms is just wrong. We have plenty of countryside, people take priority over preserving a few little slices of it.
There's also the problem of new development tacked onto small rural villages being the shittiest cheapest and least conscientious development possible, to the point where the developers um and uh and tug at their collars when asked about basic issues like traffic and flooding and watersheds.

That doesn't change most NIMBYism being lovely people who don't want new growth to their village while living in new growth homes from the 70s, but I'd like there to be some consideration for the new homes to ensure that, at a minimum, they don't flood themselves out.

Pissflaps posted:

Think I might go for a racist walk in the countryside this weekend.
I think you need a badly behaved bull terrier for that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jabby posted:

Of course, and this is why housebuilding should be done in large part by local authorities rather than lovely developers.

But still, let's not pretend that the main objection people have to new houses in their village is that the new houses are substandard and may flood. People have a 'gently caress you, got mine' attitude, will object to everything from a new house to a wind farm, and their views should absolutely be disregarded. Just because you own a house doesn't mean you own the whole loving village and surrounding area.
This is the big problem that we face with rural and commuter belt house building currently though. I joined a local group investigating new builds on the basis that on investigation the developers had (deliberately?) done their floodplain studies in late summer and their traffic studies on randomly selected weekday early afternoons. It was obviously something that would cause serious difficulties to the new estates and nearby areas in reality.

Most of the people involved just didn't want new houses for reasons of 'new people' and 'house prices' though. It would be a great thing if there was a scientific body that could determine where the optimal places for new estates were without local or regional bias, some platonic local authority body that didn't have to report to an unfortunately Tory council. I think you could get 60% of the houses that developers want but actually distribute them to people that needed them if done in that manner.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zephro posted:

I mean it's always going to be expensive to send a bus tooling out ten miles to the middle of Ruralshire to pick up one or two people

Basically as someone who lives in the countryside, the countryside is poo poo and you should try to live in a city instead

It's too late for me, but you can still save yourselves
At least you have space for some limited self-sufficiency when everything implodes.

Speaking of everything imploding:

quote:

The Government is clear – the NHS is and always will be protected in trade deals. Our world-class healthcare sector benefits from international trade and should not be excluded.

It is not in the UK or wider interests to exclude the UK healthcare sector from trade and investment agreements.

Through trade agreements the UK’s world-class pharmaceutical and medical care and devices sectors can benefit from improved access to overseas markets to sell products and bid for government procurement contracts.

The NHS benefits directly from international trade. As an example the UK Government Healthcare UK initiative works to directly promote the UK healthcare sector (including the NHS) abroad and to strengthen the sectors’ capacity to operate and succeed internationally.

Trade deals do not threaten Government policy-making regarding delivery of public services.

Trade and investment agreements do not force Governments to privatise the delivery of any public services. Similarly, such agreements do not prevent governments from introducing new legislation to safeguard public health or safety.

The UK Government is committed in particular to the principles of a NHS, free at the point of use, based on clinical need and not ability to pay.

It will always remain for the UK Government to decide how public services are run and, in particular, who is best placed to provide NHS services on the basis of patient need.

Department for International Trade
I wonder who these wider interests are.

e:

JFairfax posted:

Bristol for instance, it's a loving mess, it should have a tram or some sort of better train system.
Maybe they should start with trolleybuses.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Shadow Over Winford.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I heard he claimed expenses for a printer cartridge too.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

One of the great victories of the working class struggle was to grant the right to leisure time.
One of the greatest tricks of liberalism is to split that leisure time such that some have too little and are overworked, and some have too much and too little income. We then call the latter group skivers and seek to prove how we're not one of them by demanding ever shittier working conditions.

Any sensible system could distribute the work to be done fairly across these groups while still providing a living income.

Dead Goon posted:

I worked at an Amazon FC once.

It was shite.
Is that Sunday league?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TinTower posted:

e: Article 51 is pretty boring poo poo.
The UN Article 51 has been used to justify state terrorism against people. Then again so has everything from the weather to God said so.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rakosi posted:

I would like a party that was more centrist and less libertarian than the Greens, but just as environmentally driven.
I'd like a party that's as left-libertarian as the Greens or more, but doesn't drive itself into a conniption over the existence of chemicals or meat or power generation.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I can't wait for one of the states to consistently block out of spite/their own nationalism.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Didn't the Metro go through a phase of flat out reprinting Yahoo News articles with minor alterations, without spell (or fact) checking?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

nopantsjack posted:

Though when brexit is poo poo it's just going to have the papers turn on Labour more than the Tories because they didn't stop it, then all start fluffing the lib dems as the true guardians of the people.
Nobody is going to start fluffing the Lib Dems no matter how bad it gets.

Except the Guardian. Always.

Regarde Aduck posted:

If you don't consider yourself important enough to stop paying money to a party you no longer support you might have self image issues.
Surely canceling your DD takes care of the paying money part.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Did Leon Czoglosz assassinate McKinley in the States? He was a lone wolf. Wikipedia certainly calls it an assassination. Or for another British example, see Spencer Perceval was assassinated.
I'm not even sure that Mair was a lone wolf. Certainly someone provided him a sawn-off rimfire, and being able to psych yourself up to stab someone to death in front of a crowd weeks after attending a psych yourself up to stab someone camp Britain First knife defense camp for defending yourself only course seems more than coincidental.

I'd put him about halfway between John Wilkes Booth, where a bunch of people talked about how awesome it would be to kill pro-Union politicians, but he was the only one that went all out, and a lone wolf like John Bellingham.

Both of those were considered assassinations though, so I don't see why it wouldn't be called that either way.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What part of the original peace deal violates the family values of the Catholic Church? Was someone wearing a condom under their suit?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rakosi posted:

Thats a little reductionist.
So was Immanuel Kant.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kustomkarkommando posted:

There was language in the original peace deal specifically addressing gender and LGBTI issues that guaranteed economic and social rights to people of "diverse sexual orientations and indentities". Cue salty right wing religious backlash from people still smarting over the legalisation of same sex marriage
I wonder if that's part of what tipped the 0.22%

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Operation Midnight Climax was specifically forcing LSD on the CLIENTS of prostitutes, who generally were people who couldn't reveal how they'd been dosed and so wouldn't report it to the police.
The Nordic model of unethical CIA testing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Fucks sake. They can accuse every other home nation of having relations with livestock, accuse their own outlying regions of incest to the point of polydactyly, and take the piss out of the whole rest of Europe/the world and that's just bants, but when British television has a light hearted jab at England they go on the defensive.

Change all English BBC regional channels to a picture of a white Transit van in front of a house with St. George's flags with a constant repeating laugh track in the background 24/7 until they have a breakdown.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bloops Crusts posted:

I guess what I'm really wondering is why isn't there a grassroots movement to stop it? Speaking for myself, I'm strongly in favor of a united Europe, and I think the UK getting divorced from the EU is just about the most tragic thing in the world. I'd be out there knocking on doors, making phone calls, sitting down with my aunts and uncles in the countryside trying to talk them into changing their minds, harassing my MPs every single week and telling all my friends to do the same -- creating a movement. It just seems like Britons are so bored and disinterested in the whole thing. I know the UK has always been pretty euroskeptic, but beyond even that, there hardly seems to be any passion for the European project whatsoever. Not enough to motivate people to really take a stand against Leave, and as a result it seems like you're really allowing the Tories to stage a huge loving coup and put Labor six feet under for the next decade.

Over here, if we'd all twiddled our thumbs on the travel ban, Trump probably would have gotten away with it. It was initially polling something like 55-45 in favor. But since we took to the streets and raised hell, started picking up the phones and screaming at our congressmen, some of the same polls that initially showed public support have now tilted the other way, and are now showing like 55-45 against. Where was that level of passion over Brexit? You might have swung the vote in the Commons, or hell, even given the Lords enough cover to do something.
It's because for a lot of shitheads, a 'united Europe' is code for white supremism and Eurocentrism, and the Old Labour and black bloc types have about as much love for the EU as they do for Richard Spencer.

It's a strange situation because many of the hard right are anti-Europe too, so where is your highly motivated pro-EU bloc going to come from? Agitated bankers?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They did set a bunch of oilfields on fire, that can't have been good for the climate.

Then again most of it would have either been burned or turned into plastic anyway.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's also rapid population growth over recent decades, which would have eventually put farmland under pressure drought or not, but they both seem to be secondary to how the government actually dealt with the people moving en masse to the cities.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

hakimashou posted:

Can you blame the media for recognizing a big juicy shitshow when they see one and sitting down to enjoy their meal?
I agree with your implication that the media eats poo poo.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Only part of that story we were ever likely to discuss was how Jeremy Corbyn failed to stop him burning the note unfortunately.
Jeremy Corbyn burned a homeless person. I heard him talking about it in Nando's.

marktheando posted:

Nobody gave a gently caress when our last Prime Minister burnt a £50 in front of a tramp, so some nobody burning a £20 was unlikely to make much of a stir.
£50 notes weren't in circulation when Pig Dave was joining his thug gangdining club.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jeza posted:

Wiki says the old £50 notes were released in 1981 which was before he went to uni.
I thought he went to uni earlier than that, but I guess not.

It makes it unlikely that it was a 'long standing tradition' though. Maybe it's something that he just decided to do that wasn't a tradition at all.

Like loving a dead pig on camera.

e: VVV :golfclap:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Wonder how many sealed bags of flour are going to be incinerated in a few months so some copper can pad out his pension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Prince John posted:

Yeah, I've always thought It was a bit harsh when Charlotte Church was widely ridiculed in the right wing press for mentioning this on Question Time.
Unsurprising though, wars don't have multiple complex causes in right wing thought. There are good people (us) and evil people (them) and the good people have to fight off the evil people, although sometimes the evil people have a scrap to prove who is more evil.

• Locked thread