Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

TACD posted:

I thought the proper term for first name was 'forename'?

Yes, forename and surname. It's secular and non-discriminatory and applies to cultures where the names are reversed from ours. Not sure why this is hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Baron Corbyn posted:

But fore means "in the front of"?

Well in Japanese writing, your forename is written underneath the surname, it's all culturally relative. Youd give your forename first if you met someone though, QED.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

JFairfax posted:

why are you calling the staff black bastards?

how else would they know? :confused:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

:stare:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Zephro posted:

Why are catheters so thick, then? Wouldn't a thinner version be less uncomfortable?

Enquiring minds want to know

presumably there's a minimal internal diameter to allow sufficient flow velocity to prevent discomfort, and a minimal corresponding external diameter to allow sufficient thickness to prevent leakage/fragility. You wouldn't wan't a catheter snapping and getting lost inside your tiny little knob

e: also too thin and it would probably puncture your urethra

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pencils R Cool posted:

How likely is it that similar groups are targeting UK users?

100% likely, plus a shitload of Russian astroturfing.

Although there was a study someone posted a few days ago which showed that the British public gets their unmitigated bollocks from the red-top tabloids anyway, so the online cobblers is less effective

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

I do not recommend jamming stuff up your knob.

Be careful with what you do with your willy lest the NHS have to shove a camera up it to figure out why you keep pissing blood.

Should be in sex ed, imo.

I learned this from the Palahniuk book where a kid sticks a long piece of candlewax up his knob but it ends up snapping off. It does not end well. Not that I had any intentions to that end, but it was useful information all the same

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ukle posted:

This thread has found a new low.

Catheter chat is far worse than Train or Rowing chat.

welcome to narrow urethra world

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Rakosi posted:

"I would like you to rule on this matter please sir"

UKIP members borrowing their syntax from Indian call centre employees, something ironic there...

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

So I got a breakdown of where my tax goes and less than 1% went to the EU (apologies for the crappy quality)

Honestly I looked at this for a couple of minutes trying to make some joke about how poor Britain is going to be in a few years but then I just became sad. And I'm not even British or living in Britain

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

jabby posted:

As a general rule the size is inversely proportional to how annoying a patient you are.

Strong post/username combo

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Wheat Loaf posted:

Genuinely wouldn't be surprised if Northern Ireland ends up effectively "cut out" of the UK's borders, ends up like a kind of Kaliningrad Oblast thing.

NI is already comparable to the KO. If NI is cut off from the mainland UK anymore, especially in economic terms, the majority will vote for reunification. They may well do so anyway pending the outcome of Scexit 2

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

jBrereton posted:

You think? Despite the relative lack of spending on public sector make-work in the Republic?

As I see it, it hinges on (i) a new Scottish referendum galvanising public opinion, while Tories simultaneously cut funding to NI or otherwise impact the public sector. (ii) Enda Kenny's replacement (probably Leo Varadkar) being able to broker some sort of compromise arrangement with the EU, where we take on NI and avoid the border conflict in exchange for structural funding over a period of years to regenerate NI as a haven for fleeing British financial services. This could take the form of forgiveness of a certain proportion of ROI sovereign debt to the Troika

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pissflaps posted:

Why would the EU want to see British financial services relocate to Northern Ireland, particularly?

They wouldn't particularly. The point is that ROI would need a sweetener to take on the annual 6 billion sinkhole of NI. And that, as I said, would probably take the form of structural funding or debt forgiveness.

e: The money could just as easily be used to rejuvenate NI manufacturing, but somehow I don't see Harlann&Wolff being the saviours of NI

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pissflaps posted:

Isn't the Republic constitutionally bound to seek a reunited Ireland?

Per the GFA, if NI votes for reunification it gets put to the citizenry of ROI by referendum. They would need convincing

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pissflaps posted:

Has the EU ever before entered into such horse trading? It just doesn't seem to be something it does?

There was a lot of deal-making regarding the reunification of East and West Germany which I don't really know the specifics of, but yes they do sometimes. And Brexit is going to be a wild ride for all negotiating parties.

Anyway, note that reunification does not currently have the electoral numbers in NI (or, in fact, ROI), it's contingent on a rock-hard Brexit bringing people around to the idea

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/sharp-rise-in-support-for-united-ireland-survey-reveals-1.2784882

Nevertheless, anecdotes like below are becoming more and more common and certainly point in that direction

crispix posted:

If there were a border poll held this year I would vote for Irish reunification. I was nominally unionist all my life but the certainty and security that made the union appealing evaporated last summer and we are now tied to a maniac country riding a bomb. :/

Then, on the other hand

kustomkarkommando posted:

Eh, I wouldn't underestimate the resilience of Unionism as a political force and a lot of that plan entails an active drive from FG for reunification which seems a bit unreliable - if its FF I could buy it but their brand of rhetoric is more traditional wouldn't do much to galvanize traditional unionist support for a united Ireland

I agree with these points completely. The drive from the South will also depend on what sort of inroads SF make if/when the current minority Dail collapses

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pissflaps posted:

I don't understand why the EU would be motivated to steep itself in British/Irish/Scottish politics to keep borders open or shut when it can just let the already complex process of Brexit unwind and.

It seems like pie in the sky thinking - especially so for Scotland where some nationalists seek to think the EU's prime concern is keeping them in the EU.

I don't see this happening contemporaneously with Brexit by the way, but afterwards, as a hard border erodes the GFA and NI peacekeeping, and the British economy is flushed down the toilet and deprioiritizes its support of NI sinecures.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pissflaps posted:

Personally I believe pragmatism will win out in many cases and most of the heart stopping stuff we see about hard borders and tariffs and membership of things like Euratom will ultimately be resolved to the half satisfaction and mild detriment of all.

You could just as easily have applied this kind of "nothing ever happens" logical approach to the very idea of Brexit. One might have thought the path of least resistance would have been some special concessions being made in return for Britain not throwing all its toys out of the European pram, but welp here we are

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Skinty McEdger posted:

I support Scottish Independence, but honestly the belief that the EU would let us in doesn't really convince me particularly when there are countries with vested interests in not setting a precedent for letting separatist movements to be recognised. I can't see anyway Spain would go for it for example.

Worth looking at Rajoy's comments a bit closer (via The National)

quote:

Rajoy said quite categorically that if the UK leaves the EU, then Scotland leaves with it. He has ruled out any possibility of Scotland managing to remain a part of the EU while also remaining a part of the UK. He also said that the EU cannot enter negotiations with a part of a state so that it can remain within the EU even though the state it is a part of has just voted to leave. But Rajoy said nothing at all about the European status of an independent Scotland.

Spain's position seems to be opposition to non constitutionally-mandated secession only

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Zephro posted:

How can the loving Northern Ireland Affairs Committee be so loving clueless about something that's utterly obvious to anyone with a brain cell and who's been paying attention to British history for the past few decades

I mean gently caress me how is it news that there will need to be border controls between the EU and the UK when the UK leaves the EU.

Magical thinking, plus Theresa May outright lying to the public, and some people going along with that for the sake of political expedience

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Well, on first skimming of the document it's a load of meaningless arse-wash, as to be expected.

As pertains to the NI border issues (Section 4 and Appendix B), there's absolutely zero substantive information there, just a parroting of May's "seamless, frictionless" rubbish. NI is hosed.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Wheat Loaf posted:

I have heard that Hollande, Merkel and the various bigwigs in Brussels offered Cameron a renegotiation of Britain's from full membership to associate partnership, whereby we would still pay the dues and retain access to the markets, with a fudge on free movement to placate that element of the Leave base.

Of course, Cameron had just done the impossible and won a majority, so he was like, "Nah, man, it's all good, I've got this," and settled for the deal he got, which I personally didn't think was bad but was never going to be good enough for anyone else.

I believe Osborne was all for the proposition, but Osborne was always against the referendum in the first place from what I've heard.

Yeah, I think that should serve as an instructive example of how the seemingly obvious sensible bureacratic option can be completely derailed by one thick posh oval office trying to secure power

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Zephro posted:

Anyone wondering about what a post-Brexit ROI/NI border might look like, something like the Swedish-Norwegian border is probably the best possible outcome:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04gw07s

"Delays can be as little as half an hour"

Norway, of course, is in the Single Market whereas Britain won't be, which is quite a big problem with copying that model.

Yeah, it's an interesting comparison, but since Norway and Sweden are both Schengen and also part of the Nordic Passport Union you probably can't extrapolate too much other than it will definitely be worse than that.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

jBrereton posted:

Still don't really see why we won't just see a tightening of border controls out of Northern Ireland but maintain the lack of an internal border on the island.

ok

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Sion posted:

Some bastard has dug up the Blue Peter Time Capsule that was buried under the Millennium Dome 02.

It's ok, Britain has no future

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Or else someone removed an apostrophe, saved it as the final draft, and sent it for printing at 04:17? jfc

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Gum posted:

Is it normal to be checking a paper's grammar at 4am on the day it's supposed to be published?

Probably, for whatever peon is assigned to do last minute checks and then print off copies for all the ministers. It's hardly difficult to believe

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

MikeCrotch posted:

Jokes on you, i've been panic buying courgettes for weeks

much more economical to just buy one sturdy, dishwasher-safe dildo imo

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
2% is probably about the margin of error for a sample population of that size. Please stop wanking over meaningless statistical fluctuations

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Halman posted:

I got pretty sick while doing a semester abroad in London, sorry for stealing all your NHS and making it fail. :(

Just send Flaps a cheque for £100

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Gorn Myson posted:

Whats the best anime video game

Chrono Trigger?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
He's only vulnerable to plane crashes

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

TACD posted:

If this was true we wouldn't be in this mess.

No he needs to have like, several planes crash into him at once. We need a Nige/11

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Carborundum posted:

Ireland, sure to be fine, alone on the periphery of Europe with almost 1 in 5 of its citizens emigrating, massively in debt, in the midst of Brussels mandated Austerity, selling off its public services, introducing regressive taxation, with one of its main trading partners hosed beyond belief.

We'll be alright, I might save this post and ask you about it again in 5 years

e: please stay and wallow in your own mess, we have to pursue a policy of Ireland First

WeAreTheRomans fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Feb 9, 2017

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

You say that before all the Lib Dems move to Dublin and start voting for FG and deliver full liberalism now

it's true I might have underestimated the UK's ability to ruin other countries, specially given historical precedent

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Too be fair though its not like Irish people are particularly good at the old voting lark.

coughcoughFFresurgancecough

No we're also complete loving idiots, just too small and inconsequential to ruin everything

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Jose posted:

remember when the american government spent 40 years infecting a black community with syphilis and then admitted there wasn't any reason behind it after stopping

I mean, no one was actively infected with syphilis, they just lied about treating them. It's still barbaric and shameful, it doesn't need exaggeration

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

This was the lil oval office who was distantly related to NIcola Sturgeon, it was posted a while back.

Not sure what ""some homeless shelter"" even means in that context

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

marktheando posted:

Nobody gave a gently caress when our last Prime Minister burnt a £50 in front of a tramp, so some nobody burning a £20 was unlikely to make much of a stir.

He also hosed a dead pig in the mouth, to completion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

I heat Jeremy Corbyn burns all paper money cos he hates the queen

It's about sending a message

• Locked thread