Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Are independents allowed to get involved in BEs or do they have to wait for GEs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Paxman posted:

They can stand buddy. You better check this for yourself, but I'm sure if you hurry and start renting a flat in the constituency in the next week or so then you'll be eligible to give it a go.

THats pretty cool. And they say the political class is too out of touch with everyday lives. What sort of MP was Gerald? Sounds like kinnock era to me?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

John said of those seeking to topple Jeremy 'It is more important to them that they regain control of the Party than it is to win elections.'

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Alertrelic posted:

This is true, though. Blair even literally stated this during one of his earlier interventions.

Pretty much everything McDonnell said is obviously true. The fact that large sections of the media and PLP are trying to sabotage the leadership doesn't change the fact that Corbyn's team are doing a terrible job on their own, of course, it just exacerbates the issue.

What was blairs quote on this I think I was away

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Nothing. At least he's being honest. It's also the exact position leftists are criticised for over centrism.

I suppose the difference is centre left is proven to be electable and even 2010 and 2015 were pretty close iirc. So confirmation bias as ppl have said and we'll have to give jeremy a fair crack at the whip in 2020 unless he steps down and finds someone more suitable before then.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
You can't deselect a lord

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Clive Lewis is the 10/3 favourite followed by Keith stammer

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Pochoclo posted:

Also what the gently caress is this I'm reading about EU citizens registering for their "right to live"? I mean, if you guys eventually start asking me to do any sort of registering for the "privilege" of staying in a failing economy instead of doing the sane thing and just allowing EU people to stay around, then you've got a surprise coming.

What sort of economy have you got back home?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Pochoclo posted:

Amsterdam, Berlin, Copenhagen, Stockholm - I can move to any of them and have a healthy economy to call home. I just get better money being in the UK right now.

Also I'm a bit of an anglophile and I love London, but yeah, start revoking my right to live here and I'll book a plane gently caress you. Say bye to the £50k I pay in taxes every year.

Those places are ok for a stag weekend but they're hardly long term options!

Still, thanks for visiting and don't let the ferry door fail to close properly on your way out.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Pochoclo posted:

I'm not a game dev. Also I agree, trying to stop immigration has never worked much in the history of the world, and I do have a EU passport. Dual nationality, that's how most Latin-americans get into Europe.

The answer to stop immigration is to make all the world a nice place to live and work in, and by that point I imagine most people would stop caring anyway.

You could make your home country a nice place to live

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Pochoclo posted:

Yes, I try to make the UK a better place. Small stuff I won't get into, but every bit helps.

You could make it better by leaving and taking your entitled attitude with you. Then you could give something back to your poorer home country where your contribution and example could go much further than it would here. Promise me youll sleep on it at least.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Actually he told us to gently caress off.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Pochoclo posted:

Do explain how I'm "entitled", I'm all ears.

Also my home country is the UK. I'm British, does that make you angry?

If you mean the country I was born in, don't worry, my contributions to several charities and family members there sure go a long way, as you say.

No you blithering imbecile, I told those trying to kick me off the country to gently caress off. Do you want me out? Then gently caress you. Otherwise, it wasn't aimed at you.

I dont know what you're so angry about but if you want to leave go ahead I'm sure we can find someone else with inch thick specs to take your place.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I don't feel jealous of people that earn more than me.

Im just pleased I'm considered working class somehow. Talk about a red letter day!

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

JFairfax posted:

Well this is a thing

Police are being overwhelmed by the number of reports about child sexual abuse and need to consider alternative approaches for less serious cases, the UK’s lead officer on child protection has said.

Simon Bailey, the head of Operation Hydrant – the nationwide inquiry into historical child sexual abuse – said forces were operating beyond capacity because of the sheer volume of reports.

“The numbers are continuing to rise,” he told the Times. “We have reached saturation point ... The police service has responded to the threat but it has now reached that point whereby we have to try and turn the tide. We have to look at alternatives.”

Options would include giving counselling and rehabilitation to lower level offenders, so that officers could concentrate on dealing with the most dangerous paedophiles with access to children, and those looking at the most serious images of abuse, Bailey said.

Offenders found to have viewed online images should only be spared a custodial sentence if they were risk assessed and would not have the potential to come into contact with children, he said. They would also continue to be monitored.

Bailey, who is the chief constable of Norfolk and lead on child protection for the National Police Chiefs’ Council said: “Let’s be really clear: somebody going online and using their credit card to direct the abuse of a child in the Philippines should be locked up, categorically.

“That individual who is not in contact with children and doesn’t pose a threat to children and is looking at low-level images ... when you look at everything else that’s going on, and the threat that’s posed of contact abuse to children, we have to look at doing something different with those individuals.”

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/feb/28/child-sexual-abuse-claims-overwhelming-police-says-lead-officer

Luckily this is just historical cases. Freaking boomers have a lot to answer for

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

namesake posted:

If a voter sees themselves in a stark position of risking losing their property rights against losing every other right (or depriving a bunch of other people of their rights) and they vote to keep their property rights secure then they weren't agreeable allies at that point anyway.

Probably are fairly horrible people generally.

How familiar are you with maslow's hierarchy of needs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I think youre both getting a bit carried away..haven't we just heard that paedophilia is to be decriminalised in the uk

• Locked thread