Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Hate crimes rise by up to 100 per cent across England and Wales, figures reveal

quote:

Below are the number of hate crime offences recorded by police forces in England and Wales from July to September 2016.

They are ranked according to the size of the change compared with April to June last year, which is the figure shown in brackets.

An asterisk denotes that it was the highest quarterly figure since comparable records began in April 2012.

I won't post the full list but here's the top and bottom five:

Dorset 104* (up 100%)
Nottinghamshire 189* (up 75%)
North Yorkshire 64* (up 68%)
West Mercia 247* (up 64%)
Devon and Cornwall 220* (up 63%)
Northamptonshire 79 (up 4%)
South Yorkshire 225 (down 1%)
Gloucestershire 55 (down 4%)
Surrey 137 (down 7%)
City of London 25 (down 7%)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Namtab posted:

I know this is the ukmt, but I think there's a middleground between "loves their flag/country" and "actually hitler"

Turns out Hitler is the middle ground.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

namesake posted:

Bonus quote for British education:

“Sergeant Colon had had a broad education. He’d been to the School of My Dad Always Said, the College of It Stands to Reason, and was now a postgraduate student at the University of What Some Bloke In the Pub Told Me.”

Pretty consistent with the standard "uneducated Brexiteer" counter of "I have a degree from the University of Life".

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

I'm English, British, and European.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Jippa posted:

Imagine if blair saved us from brexit. :monocle:

Turns out Brexit is a good thing after all.

mehall posted:

I wish there was a way that this could have been told in the debate, without being anti-immigrant to the people outside the EU.
The narrative was centred around how we can't control our immigration, but the immigration they can control was much larger, because they know we need the people coming in.

People want less immigration all round, stopping EU immigration is what happened to turn up as a possibility.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

I can't imagine many Leave voters would even bring themselves to listen to Blair, let alone allow themselves to be swayed by anything he says. Not any more, anyway.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

If Nuttall's own party are rebelling against him, that must mean he's the ideal leader to take UKIP forward.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Can't rejoin something that doesn't exist.

Reminder that leaving the EU is objectively the correct decision under this scenario.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Jippa posted:

I saw some builders with make america great again red trump caps on their dashboard this morning. I didn't realise this was a thing in the UK? Am I completely out of touch?

I would think a fair few Brits admire Trump, yes. Not quite Che but still.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Since the thread's slow tonight: I've been looking at some old web pages through archive.org, as you do, and I've collected a few interesting/funny/dumb things along the way. Here's a 1997 piece from the BBC about the most important thing in politics.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/834403086093344774

When I'm blown away to somewhere in Belgium I will use the memory of this to keep me going.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Jose posted:

southerners are really bad tbf

Jose posted:

i don't think anyone itt can defend southerners as not being really bad

This casual racism disgusts me.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

A Benn having decent ratings with Tory voters. What a dark timeline we live in.

Tony was a Eurosceptic, would have made for an interesting dynamic.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Taear posted:

The person I know who specifically calls herself English wouldn't consider herself a racist but is a big pusher on "Where are you REALLY from" stuff with people who just happen to have slightly different shades of skin. "But they're not really FROM here".

Idiotic hypothetical alert: If humanity were to somehow start again, but with the climate as it currently is, would it now be warm enough in at least the south of England for humans to evolve with darker skin?

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Pochoclo posted:

It's not about warmth, it's about UV radiation and vitamin D.

I used it as a generic term, I knew someone would pull me up on it but you get the gist of it.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

spectralent posted:

The problem with this problem is that it's monstrous. We need to stop the hatred of migrants before we start setting up loving camps.

People don't hate immigrants (at least, they didn't and they wouldn't), they hate the negative impact of the sheer number of immigrants on their lives. People want immigration reduced and controlled for the betterment of their own lives, not to spite immigrants. Yes, there are people who are violent and aggressive towards them, but that sort of person will always exist, there will always be racial hatred regardless.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

No matter how safe a seat it, it comes loose eventually.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

and i must meme posted:

What happens if Ukippers get their wish and all the immigrants actually go?

Nothing. As in, nothing will happen in the UK any more.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

I enjoyed BBC News' regular feature where they brought an American on to be interviewed about their latest movie or whatever, then halfway into the interview they got them to spend five minutes explaining why Trump would be the worst president. It was pretty much a weekly thing from about August.

E: Sorry it wasn't relevant to the conversation but I wanted to say it anyway.

HJB fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Feb 25, 2017

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

The Mail broke

https://twitter.com/DMReporter/status/835629368663752706

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Jedit posted:

You mean imagine the Tory/UKIP coalition taking us out of the EU without a referendum?

I'm imagining UKIP having 90 seats and smacking my lips.

154 is the third album by the English post-punk band Wire, released in 1979 (see 1979 in music) on EMI imprint Harvest Records in the UK and Europe and Warner Bros. Records in America.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

A 71-23 split is more than a reworded question.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

I genuinely wonder what would happen if there was a byelection in a safe labour city constituency at this point. Somewhere like Hackney that went so hard remain.

Not a million miles off.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

jabby posted:

Hopefully the local party pick an actual left-wing MP, preferably one who supports Corbyn.

Just having a quick look for info, I spotted this - http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/gorton-labour-party-police-bullying-11603957

Sounds like they like a bit of trouble. It's from July but "Many local Labour figures view the safe seat as a target for their ambitions" sounds ominous.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

mfcrocker posted:

I'm pretty sure that won't hold up in court, Theresa.

May: Here's a thing the British people want me to do.
EU: You can't do that.
May: The EU once again refuse to respect the will of the British people!

*approval ratings soar*

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Sir Tim Nice-But-Lib-Dem strikes again!

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

The BCC Conference has been taking place today. There's been plenty of tiptoeing around Brexit, but the only thing I've learned from it so far is that there are more mobile devices in the world than toothbrushes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Since it's quiet again, here's something else from the archives: A UKIP FAQ, circa 1998 - http://web.archive.org/web/19981207043535/http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Ian_Soulsby/krsoulsby/ukip.htm. I like this part:

quote:

Q What is your alternative to being a member of the EU?

A This is a trick question. The alternative to committing suicide is simply not to commit suicide. It is not to become a ballet dancer or a lion tamer.

• Locked thread