Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
I hope wish that it all goes well and you'll be able to leave Trickjaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, i'm fine with people resigning over this - it's a contentious issue and personally I probably wouldn't have whipped either.

Corbyn's responded apparently;

quote:

I would like to thank Dawn and Rachael for their work in the shadow cabinet. They are great assets to the Labour party and to our movement.

MPs have a duty to represent their constituents as well as their party, and I understand the difficulties that MPs for constituencies which voted remain have in relation to the European Union withdrawal bill.

However, it is right that the Labour party respects the outcome of the referendum on leaving the European Union. We have said all along that Labour will not frustrate the triggering of Article 50 and to that end we are asking all MPs to vote for the bill at its second reading tonight.

I wish both Dawn and Rachael well and look forward to working with them in the future.

Also an article popped up for Politics Home;

ANALYSIS: How Team Corbyn could respond if Clive Lewis quits the Shadow Cabinet

Just watching the voting now.

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011

Prince John posted:

Supposedly the anointed successor is Rebecca Long-Bailey. I base that on more random internet articles.

I thought it was a funny article and the first time i'd seen her name flagged up as one of the 'next generation' :D

And laughing at Corbyn putting his foot in it again, even while being an ally. Oh good grief.

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
If you're going to try and keep on top of the amendments etc just bookmark Ronya's link - depending how many get added it it'll be easier.

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
If you want the breakdown of other parties or responder demographics, the data is on the YouGov site here (and other questions such as how well or badly the Government is doing at negitiating Brexit) ;

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/3hy4qn55vq/TimesResults_170131_VI_Trackers_W.pdf

I know some folk are more statistically minded than me.

PS Not sure still in strong position for next PM at 36%

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
Poor Jenny - this has to be one of the most intervened speeches yet today. I think that they're getting cranky because they've got hours to go.

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011

I was busy so didn't post it yesterday, but this reminds me of the polling they did in November.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/11/17/brexit-briefing/

Also please note in that that 68% of those polled think we need to go ahead and Brexit. It's interesting that Leave obviously are overwhelmingly happy to do so, but Remain voters are divided pretty evenly between those who feel that we should support the Government's follow through and those who want to ignore it.

E: It's the "Support of Brexit Referendum" option on the Crunchbox at the bottom if you want the graph.

Laradus fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Feb 7, 2017

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
Yes, what Lemondrizzle said - seen comments about concerns about being UNELECTED ENEMIES OF THE PEOPLE if they delay it.

E: And yes, 7 was the most Tory rebels that I know of. Clarke was the main consistent one, as he was in December.

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
It is also the Lords job to view and amend bills. This is where 'ping-pong' occurs.

And baka they can do so, it's just articles i've seen suggest they might be hesitant to be seen as 'obstructing' it. Who knows though as these are strange times? :shrug:

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
There have been some good soundbites in amongst the tedium of the arguments.

Soubry's 'willy-waving' made me go back and check I hadn't misheard. I'd like to see less polite fencing and more "Are you loving kidding me?" given some of the discussion.

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
As it's sort of valid to the discussion (I wasn't going to post it otherwise), there was a YouGov poll yesterday from a sample of Britain and other countries with their opinions on who needs the other most - article and data here;

Most Brits think the EU needs the UK at least as much as the UK needs the EU.

And the two graphs for quick reference (hopefully they work);

E: Fixed graphs - thank you HJB. :)

Laradus fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Feb 9, 2017

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
Thank you - I knew i'd hosed it up but didn't want to imageleech. :) Fixed it in the original as well.

PS - I think telling David Davis to gently caress off is always a Correct response, kiss or not. :D

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
I saw that poll and didn't think of posting it because I didn't think Corbyn continuing to be really unpopular would surprise anyone in this thread. :)

If you want the rest of the data looking at how people feel about the parties (not just the leaders), EU, Trump, Nuttall etc here you go;

Nearly one in five Brits now have a favourable view of Donald Trump

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
I'm curious now about "climate change link to IS". That must have passed me by. :D

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
Yes, I have to admit my first thoughts were more on the government oppression side and I hadn't considered the contributing factors such as droughts.

I appreciate the quick replies folks :)

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
On the "what is a True English" topic there was an interesting YouGov survey last month about that when they had a spate of nationality-related polling;

What makes a person English, according to the English

quote:

With English nationality becoming more prominent, it begs the question: who is English? Now the final installment in a series of YouGov surveys on nationality can reveal what makes a person English, according to the English themselves.

Englishness is clearly a birthright, with the majority believing that where or to whom a person is born defines whether a person is English or not.

At 81%, the most commonly held source of English nationality is being born in England. Almost as popular, at 80%, is having two English parents - this drops to 54% for having one English parent.

The majority of English people will also consider someone who grew up in England to be and Englishman.

On the other hand, living in England for a long time as an adult is not enough to confer English nationality. Just over a quarter (27%) of English people say that living in England for over 10 years makes a person English – this drops to 15% for those living in England for 5-10 years and 8% for less than 5 years.

Laradus fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011

baka kaba posted:

There was a way more useful chart that actually showed flows to and from parties so you could see exactly how voters were moving. I don't know the name for that kind of diagram though so I can't find it, anyone got any idea?

It was like solid blocks that peeled apart like cheesestrings curving into the next set of blocks for the following election

I'm not certain but is this the kind of thing you''re after?

No idea what the correct term is but was trying to find it via 'voter flow'. :shrug:

E:vv Cheers - I knew someone here would help out. :)

Laradus fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 25, 2017

• Locked thread