Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Pretty good speech to be honest, strange to find yourself more in agreement with a Tory minister than the Labour leader on this issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I guess everyone is angry because this recent little misstep stands out all the more against Corbyn's previously flawless record.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Serotonin posted:

I wonder what happened to noted UKMT leftist and all round good egg The Saurus?

https://twitter.com/jimpjorps/status/827526974646153216

Oh

Isn't he trying to emigrate to the States so he can mooch off his girlfriend? I don't remember the whole story.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Pave over the entirety of the south east and if people want to see a tree they can come visit the good bits of the county and spend their money in local shops there.

Or they can go to one of London's many huge parks I guess.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

OwlFancier posted:

The other statisitc I heard that may be wrong is that there is more land in Surrey that is used as golf course than is used as housing.

According to the study reported on this page, which claims that around 2% of the UK is golf course and Surrey is the second most golf covered county, that may well be true.

With a supposed 1.1% of the country being dedicated to housing and golf courses used mostly by the wealthy, the answer to the housing problem seems pretty obvious.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

I dunno what or who you're even arguing with, we could double the number of houses that exist in the UK and it would barely impact the available countryside. Housing just doesn't take up that much space and the UK isn't particularly densely populated.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

OwlFancier posted:

Either way, I don't think there is any voting position which is really good for Labour on this issue, I simply hope they stick to their message.

The message that they are in favour of Brexit?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Zephro posted:

OK no, you're right. It's impossible to live overseas and you're all stuck here. Sucks to be you guys, I guess.
lol

Speaking and writing English natively is probably the single biggest advantage of being born in the UK, even without other skills that single attribute will find you work in half the rest of the world. It's easier for an English speaker to move abroad in Europe than for almost anyone else, because no matter where you go people will speak at least a bit of your language. If language barriers don't stop Latvians or Hungarians from finding work abroad I don't see why it should stop Britons (if they can overcome their innate fear of foreigners and deeply traumatic memories of school French lessons).

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Wasn't able to find a direct embed, but you can watch the appalling racist filth being put out by BBC Wales and judge for yourself thanks to The Mirror: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/bbc-forced-pull-six-nations-9785915

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
What's with all the talk of Clive Lewis challenging Corbyn, I thought there couldn't be another leadership competition until September? If there's to be an election any time soon it would have to be because Corbyn stepped down, in which case I don't suppose he would be in the running any more.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Piers Morgan's death will bring me a lot of happiness
                                      /
                                    /

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Baron Corbyn posted:

The effort, not the willingness. They could have achieved the same effect by posting the article with the screencap from one of his movies and photos stolen from his social media they already had. I'm confused they went the extra mile of sending people to his house to take photos of him taking out the rubbish. It feels like more than callous uncaring 'ew gays' clickbait, it's like they really loving hate this guy. It's really vindictive.

And people complain that nobody does real investigative journalism any more.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Pesky Splinter posted:

Did he star in any adult films?

Kim Jong Unf

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Countries and patriotism/nationalism trick people into thinking that the people at the top are on the same side as the people at the bottom just because they were born within the same boundary on a map. They're bad for that reason even if for no other.

e: 88 is a number popular with patriots.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Fangz posted:

I and I assume everyone else here disagree with birthplace nationality, I think that can probably be disregarded.

You're right, I was probably being too pithy. Boris Johnson for instance was born in the USA and I don't think he has my best interests at heart either.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I remember the first time I tried to buy something in London with NI sterling and was denied. I started in on a rent about colonialism, but then stopped myself when I realised the only response was literally "Sir, this is a Burger King"

Surprising that an explicitly royalist company isn't willing to accept Northern Ireland as a part of the UK.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

jBrereton posted:

Maybe they're Jacobites, or the name is an obliquely egalitarian message about the Citizen as King.

This reminded me of the actual, real-life, mordern-day Jacobite I met one time while I was out for a walk in Irvine. He was extremely angry about Douglases, let me tell you.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

What were his thoughts on Franz of Bavaria?

I'm not sure, he spent most of his time talking about Sherrifmuir. I assume he'd welcome seeing dachshunds replace the corgis at Balmoral though.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

a pipe smoking dog posted:

This is bad for Corbyn.

This is good for Corbyn though:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/588790/asteroid-nasa-earth-lord-martin-rees-near-impact-space-rock-doosday (NWS ads)

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Kurtofan posted:

can i vote for the doomsday asteroid

https://twitter.com/votegiantmeteor/status/750729882020286464

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Blair might not be responsible for Brexit, but he's responsible for Cameron, who is responsible for Brexit. Therefore, by the transitive property, Brexit is a war criminal.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Any word on how it'll affect the punctuality of our railway systems?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Iran looks like a really nice place to visit.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Yeah, reading A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush made me extra sad about what a bad state Afghanistan is in. The area described, Nuristan, was at the time considered one of the most beautiful places in the world but I believe it's currently about the most dangerous and deprived part of the country.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Blasmeister posted:

Maybe not if you ever want to get let into the US again though.

I decided about 15 years ago that I never needed to visit the US again and I can't say that anything since then has made me want to change my mind.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Rustybear posted:

Referring to Jeremy Corbyn as a well-liked leader I think? It's hard to parse though.

I thought that they were referring to May, why would CCHQ keep Corbyn on life support?

Either way it's not a particularly clever epithet.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
If I got a pm from Pissflaps I think I would want to preserve it in mint condition by leaving it pristine and unread forever.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

OzyMandrill posted:

Because the religious right have made the term 'marriage' more loaded than just a union between two people by being arseholes about it, so people can then be free to choose as they are equal. With a possible end game of everyone else realising that making the distinction is pointless and just pass marriage for all.

In this instance I don't think you can blame solely "the religious right". Marriage's historical connotations are essentially those of treating women as property, and it's not exactly ancient history either - for example men were still mounting successful rape defences on the basis that "she's married to me" in the UK in the 1990s. Even if it seems a distinction without a difference given that marriage and civil partnership are close to legally equivalent, I don't think it's unreasonable to want to distance yourself from an institution like that. Civil partnerships provide the legal benefits without the unpleasant baggage.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Prince John posted:

Our primary school merrily used the racist version in the 80s, but I was completely oblivious to the racism part. I think I was in my twenties before I happened to hear it again and thought "hang on a minute...".

I'm pretty sure we split the difference with "tigger".

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Sion posted:

's just a bit dreich here.

Had some snow here last night, haven't noticed any storm though.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

kustomkarkommando posted:

There is a simple test to decide if someone is English and that's if they feel disappointed or any negative emotions when England loses the world cup

True Englishmen aren't just disappointed when England get knocked out of the World Cup, they're surprised too. Every time.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I think the real problem is that no politician seems able to correctly handle a metaphor. What the gently caress is "physically changing the rider on a white charger" even meant to mean in this context? Where is Bernard when you need him?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

baka kaba posted:

^^^ it means a symbolic hero who's expected to ride in and save the day

I know what the cliché normally means, but this use doesn't really make much sense. Presumably Corbyn is the one currently riding the charger, except that in this context he's being talked about as a failure, not a hero. And why "physically" change, especially in reference to a metaphorical rider? And then, what is physically changing the rider on a white charger a shortcut to? And then later we're not talking about riders any more but heads, which we're going to chop off and replace with new heads. Are the heads still on a white charger?

Clive Lewis is seen as a potential Labour leader, can we really trust someone who can't even keep a simple literary device straight for a few sentences to run the country's largest political party? If we have to live in a political farce, then it could at least have the decency to be a well written one.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

baka kaba posted:

What? The point is the idea of this magical hero who can save the day is stupid. Sticking a new guy on the horse and going 'now we have the hero we need!' won't change anything, because there are deep underlying issues that can't simply be fixed overnight by one person

Yeah the head-replacing thing is awkward but who cares, it's pretty clear what the meaning is I think? At least he sounds like he's making an argument on the spot instead of reading some carefully prepared remarks

Metaphor should illuminate an argument through insightful comparison or clarify a point by analogy. To clumsily misuse a cliché does neither, it obscures and confuses the issue instead. You see it all the time in political speech, politicians relying on bad metaphor to try and bypass actually making an argument rather than just using plain language to set out clear points.

I was mostly just making a stupid Yes, Minister reference, but it would be nice to see better use of rhetoric rather than trying to get mileage out of clapped-out literary vehicles.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Prince John posted:

I got the gist of what he was saying, but I think we need to be comfortable with this if we want to have a broad range of people representing us in parliament.

There will be a correlation between the people who never gently caress up metaphors in public speaking and those whose schools had debating societies, public speaking competitions and a pathway to prestigious universities.

It's a problem for the direction of politics, especially if politicians that we might consider to be authentic voices of the working class then get described by the public as 'a bit charity shop', or are not taken as seriously because they have accents or don't use big words.

I wasn't completely serious, but you make a reasonable point. In fact I don't think clever rhetoric and big words are what's needed though. Classical allusions and highbrow literary references are all well and good in a university debate or Guardian opinion piece when the whole point is to show off how smart and well read you are, but I'd really rather that public speakers used little words and just tried to put their points over clearly and simply. You see people overreaching their vocabulary and rhetorical skills all the time in student papers, in political speeches, on forums, and it's pretty rare that they wouldn't have been better served just using everyday, easy to understand language.

Basically Orwell was right: http://www.orwell.ru/library/essays/politics/english/e_polit/

quote:

The writer either has a meaning and cannot express it, or he inadvertently says something else, or he is almost indifferent as to whether his words mean anything or not. This mixture of vagueness and sheer incompetence is the most marked characteristic of modern English prose, and especially of any kind of political writing. As soon as certain topics are raised, the concrete melts into the abstract and no one seems able to think of turns of speech that are not hackneyed: prose consists less and less of words chosen for the sake of their meaning, and more and more of phrases tacked together like the sections of a prefabricated hen-house.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Feb 25, 2017

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Prince John posted:

Thanks, that's reminded me that I really need to find some time to settle down with a few Orwell books.

It's fun to see Orwell complaining (in 1946!) about how words like "fascist" and "democracy" have become so vague in their meaning as to be useless, just ways of talking about politicals ideas that you like or dislike.

And yeah his books are good, I've not read all his fiction but the nonfiction is all interesting and worth a look. As Spangly says, bear in mind that Orwell's portrayal of himself is a little unreliable and Down and Out in particular should be considered a "creative" account at least, but it's a great piece of writing. The scenes and characterisations in Paris slums and cafés are particularly good, it's a short book but you really feel you get to know the area and the people.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Regarde Aduck posted:

It would be useful to acknowledge in this case. In the U.K. The working class are, as a whole, no longer allies of the left. This makes people look silly when they obsess over them because large portions of the working class would now nail your commie arses to the wall. Or secretly cheer when someone murders you in the street.

This is a global problem. Parts of the working class now self identify as ethnic-nationalists in the U.K. And the US. In the U.K. They even support economic positions that negatively affect them. The reasons for this could range from educational deficiencies to basic everyday self-hatred.

It's clear the working class has split into the Tory/UKIP voting ethnic-nationalist bloc and the disenfranchised traditional left allies bloc who would normally vote Labour but don't like Corbyn.

Is this a new problem? False consciousness certainly isn't a new concept.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Namtab posted:

The winner of which will be...

The Great British People.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Tesseraction posted:

Stupid if true... but the Lords are under no obligation to listen, are they?

Corbyn will call their dads if they don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Dead Goon posted:

Oh, he has already been there?

Stellar job he did then.

He was Middle East Peace Envoy 2007-2015. AFAIK he didn't particularly achieve anything during his tenure, but also didn't directly cause thousands of deaths. So pretty good really.

• Locked thread