Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

Great work Jezza.

It's odd. Brexit was supposed to destroy the Tory party. It's actually likely to destroy the Labour party. They've thrown themselves infront of the out of control bus that is Brexit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Zephro posted:

idk, according to the Trump thread they've just basically declared war on Iran

The value of the pound is like a daily summary of who's winning the stupidity race between Britain and 'Murca

This is terrifying if there's any truth to it.

It's not that America can't overpower Iran, it's that Iran's military is so much better than what they faced in Iraq and Afghanistan that they will end up using much more ordnance and blowing up large portions of cities. They won't be able to just surgically strike targets. They're gonna have to cruise missile the poo poo out of them. The civilian casualties would be huge.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Well. gently caress you Labour.

Now do I vote Plaid Cymru in a Wales that is increasingly right wing and more likely to vote UKIP than respect it's right to exist as a devolved state?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

The cherry in top is Corbyn supposedly being the leader who does the 'right' thing, not the populist thing.

And the people who supported him for that are now supporting this populist stance on Brexit.

He could poo poo on their cat and they'd nod sagely and agree that it was the nuanced, principled thing to do.

What a loving mess he's made.

I think most supporters are pretty pissed off actually. Don't be a sore winner.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

jabby posted:

Are you seriously that pissed about a vote which at best amounts to a show of principle that you're willing to go full Pissflaps? No wonder the left never makes any progress.

Mostly I'm in a state of irrational despair. I'm talking poo poo. Sorry.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Skinty McEdger posted:

A researcher I know said this isn't an uncommon sentiment at the commons at the moment. The way she put it was that you vote, get labeled by Farage and the Mail as an enemy of the people, and then the next time you're mentioned by either it's to say that no one could have forseen the attack upon you on the streets and they certainly had nothing to do with it.

Well it's game over then. The papers not only control the narrative but directly control our politicians.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Farecoal posted:

Pissflaps who do you think should lead Labour?

*hitting f5 intensifies*

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

Jeremy Corbyn should lead Labour into the next general election.

BOOOOOOOO

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It's not a spicy answer.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

marktheando posted:

Really Labour are totally hosed now, they should just call it a day. They aren't the party of the working classes, or of the metropolitan elite. Corbyn can't even give a simple pro-gay rights statement without loving everything up and offending people, it's incredible. Even Trump can manage that!

I wonder if any Lib dems have the critical thought to realise this would be their time if they hadn't made themselves unelectable. Say what you like about Corbyn's Labour, they didn't make a deal that resulted in loving an entire generations life up for no actual gain. *Looks at brexit vote* Hmm.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
If I was to be cynical I think it more likely that they just won't support anything May does because Brexit is their baby. Some of UKIP must believe that the Tories stole their moment.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Gonzo McFee posted:

I think Abbott is good and most of her detractors are dog whistling like gently caress.

Her ideals are good. She is poo poo in interviews and debates. Keep her away from the press.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

Yes, yes, red Tories etc etc.

I'm worried that Corbyn will stand down before the election. His nose needs to be rubbed in his mess.

That's not very rational.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

Won't be much of a war tbh. The electorate is a lot bigger than labour's membership.

Most of them are really stupid and would be no use other than walking over minefields. The real issue is the recent right-wing tilt of STEM people.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

They're not mutually exclusive.

I'd rather have a competent centre left Labour Party back. Maybe one day.

When were Labour center left?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Gonzo McFee posted:

Goku is totally Antifa

There aren't really any right wing animes. That's the strange thing. Maybe Berserk because Guts is really loving manly and doesn't afraid of anything? Toho (their loving mascot) is about fairies and shrine maidens, what the gently caress does that have to do with the right?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Anime good

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Gorn Myson posted:

Its too bad that Britain will never be able to produce a show like Rick and Morty because any TV commissioner looking at it would throw it out unless its re-written to be a talent competition or a panel show.

That and we don't have any actual quality writers. This is what happens when everyone in entertainment has to go to the same university and be molded the same way. And then you get bored of that particular style.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It's not about wanting anything to fail. If it's a "success" in that the economy is fine the problem is all the deregulation that's going to happen. We might have an economy but your food is full of mercury and you can't go to the hospital for treatment because you can't afford the new private health service. I can totally see "brexit" working economically but failing socially. But no one will give a gently caress about the social impacts and after a few years of dying of toxic contaminants in food, it'll be the new norm.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Are there really no other ways to tackle the housing crisis other than destroying green belts?

Everyone is very flippant about them but I don't see the UK turning into megacity 1 being a very good solution. Especially in terms of mental health.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pochoclo posted:

JFC, again, it's the place that gathers these conditions:
- Cheapest to *buy real estate in*, not necessarily live in (I live in London already)
- Has a decent QOL/Safety index (so, not Glasgow or Birmingham)
- Is a city with decent infrastructure and facilities

I mean if you know of a place with cheaper real estate that also has a better safety/QOL rating, I'm all ears

I won't buy real estate in the UK anyway - you guys already want my filthy EU rear end out, so it'll probably be Berlin or Amsterdam or who knows.
In most cases you can't even buy the actual property - it's that leasehold poo poo.

You post like you have more money than sense. I'm sorry our countries decent into horror is making ruining your real estate plans.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

mfcrocker posted:

I'm not gonna store this post up for 3-4 years to spring it on you when we see the white paper for the Business Freedoms Act (2021), but you're a loving daftie if you think the Working Time directive survives much beyond the repeal act, a Brexit-led recession hitting businesses and the inevitable Tory victory in 2020.

I know the electorate are a bunch of stupid mad dogs but I don't think it's reasonable to predict that Brexit is the complete disaster we suspect it will be AND have the Tories walking into power in 2020. If we hit full on recession we can count on 24 hour news channels to remind people every hour of every day.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

Oh. It's the media's fault.

Part of it will be, yes.

Part of it is all Corbyn.

Countering the nonsense of hardcore Corbyn fans with nonsense of your own isn't helpful. The media is poo poo. Corbyn is poo poo. These two things can be true at the same time.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

baka kaba posted:

This isn't what happened though. Here's what Labour did:
  • took an official stance that they wouldn't block a direct democratic vote
  • officially voted not to block the electorate's decision
  • tabled amendments seeking guarantees and influence on the process from the Tories
  • officially voted for those amendments - the Tories blocked them
  • officially voted not to block the electorate's decision

That's the key difference - this wasn't a normal vote where they get to decide on our behalf what they think should happen, the electorate had already decided. That's fundamentally different from the Tories saying "we want to do this" and Labour saying "we think that's bad". It would have been a vote to overturn a democratic decision, poo poo as that decision is, and that's a whole other can of worms. Same for threatening to block it if the amendments weren't passed, if we're being optimists and believing there was ever a hope of enough Tories breaking ranks and voting against the final bill in an act of political suicide

But what they did is to vote for significant changes to the process, which the Tories voted against. So yeah, it is a Tory brexit, because the Tories have voted to keep full control and responsibility for how the negotiations go, and they're gonna go very badly. They openly rejected the kind of soft-brexit safeguards the majority of people want to see at minimum. Labour now represent people's ideal of how things should go, the Tories get to own the terrible reality

Whether you think there's even a remote chance of that working out, that's basically Labour's strategy for the next two years. I know everyone's unhappy that it's going ahead, and disappointed that Labour didn't stand against it on principle, but do you really honestly think it could have been stopped? The best chance of stopping it (and all the disaster and suffering it's going to bring) is to push public opinion to the 'hell no this is a bad idea' side, and either hold a second referendum on the deal or just outright cancel the whole thing with public backing. Labour needs to become a trusted voice on this, and that's what they're trying to do

Good post but I don't think this is the public's impression. I think Tory voters are empowered by what they see as a strong leader and Labour voters feel abandoned. Labour may have done everything in a proper and noble fashion but I feel they are going to pay dearly.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Dead Goon posted:

Why are you so important that you need to resign from the Labour Party?

Cancel your DD, cut your membership card up and post pictures of it on social media like all the other whiny little babies have done in the past.

If you don't consider yourself important enough to stop paying money to a party you no longer support you might have self image issues.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Our politicians are really bad and being revolutionaries isn't really in their skill set. This situation is beyond them. There is no logical reason May, a career politician, is going to tank one of the strongest economies in the world. Simplest explanation? She doesn't know what she is doing. None of them do.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Who the gently caress are "you guys"?

I'm not taking any responsibility for what my other country people do when I specifically voted the opposite way.

hakimashou posted:

The pendulum will swing back to the good guys here sooner or later, just like it did after Bush. But brexit is a bell you poor souls cannot unring.

Yeah see poo poo like this would make more sense if we'd all voted for it.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
How many freddos could i get for all that coke?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Choosing to go along a path they know will destroy the nation because they're suddenly scared of what the public think is what's made them go mad. May believes none of the poo poo she has to spout daily. It's a farce.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

baka kaba posted:

SSJ or whatever Goku Wilders, who was cool in LF so I don't know what he's up to these days

Most of the cool people in LF were psychologically unstable. Unhinged creative types. Remember Maggotmaster? Yeah. The problem is they've possibly all mutated into nazi libertarians or some sub-sub-sub-sub-sub culture of Maoist third-worldism. Or now have tech-jobs.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

The Lib Dems gave people one reason to vote for them.

Which is one more than Labour has managed recently.

I vote Labour because they are less likely to destroy the NHS, erode worker rights and are generally less likely to invent bullshit laws. Notice I said less likely. This is where I feel we're at. And none of this has changed because Corbyn is not doing a good job at the moment or because I don't like the way Brexit is being handled.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Feb 15, 2017

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Please explain all economics using the freddo method.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
J..just one?

*looks at room strewn with freddo wrappers*

uguu~

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It's ok but unhelpful.

Much like "hope is a lie" it's basically seditious nonsense that just makes people want to give up.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It's really simple. You shouldn't feel particularly patriotic about the UK. It's done lots of bad poo poo, is not sorry and is currently doubling down on making everyone unhappy.

But that doesn't mean you should go around calling for its destruction either. It's why I found Scottish nationalists so distasteful at the height of the independence vote. There were lots of people openly happy about the "destruction of the UK". But as with any destruction, it means people are going to get hosed over. Be careful what you wish for. The UK getting its "just desserts" will also mean more strife for the poorest in our society. Most likely more death as people fall down the cracks.

Or to put it another way: Hating your own nation is basically making GBS threads where you sleep.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

hakimashou posted:

What if the only way to stop the Tories from destroying the NHS is to turn against immigrants?

Isn't this just the ticking time bomb fallacy only you've replaced 'bomb explode' with 'NHS dismantled'?

What if there was a bomb right, and you had to shoot a kitten and then eat poop?///?

What now you leftist gently caress!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
People angry that Blaire said Brexit bad.

Even complete shitlords can say really obvious things. You don't have to object to them guys.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

hakimashou posted:

How many of those years will really count though?

Like if it takes a year to get rid of corbyn then X number of months to get an adult in charge then thats a lot less than two years of process.

Corbyn may be a bad leader but he's the most adult person in the commons. Maybe it's why he's so bad. Politics is a child's game. The aim is to obtain/steal all the toys before mummy (an asteroid) puts them back in the box.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I don't give a gently caress how racist Tony "mothafuka" Blair is if he can stop Brexit.

He probably can't but if he does then good for him. The piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Brexit bad.

Not doing Brexit good.

The will of the people? Poop on it.

• Locked thread