Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

British children's animation is so bad it makes me want to cry. It's not like they don't have access to the good stuff being pumped out of the US, it's just that they look at it, think "that's nice" then go back to writing garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Zephro posted:

5) Britain is fundamentally poo poo and stupid and 70 years later, many of its inhabitants still haven't fully come to terms with the fact that it is now a moderately-sized island off the coast of Europe rather than a world-bestriding imperial colossus.

If there is one thing I want Brexit to achieve, it is accelerating the end of the empire mentality. It won't be fast, but losing this pathetically giant chip on our collective shoulders might be helped along a bit when Britain has spent a decade and a bit in the wild, finally getting what it wants and nothing getting better, nor any interest whatsoever on the part of younger people in returning culturally to Wot Made Britane Grate.

Bit of a long game that one, I will admit.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The kind of person who bitches about how everything was better in THEIR day usually became a boring piece of poo poo the second they dropped out the womb, so it isn't surprising that anything remotely cool passed them by.

I mean, look at that choice of TV shows. Not a Power Rangers or Duck Tales in sight. For shame.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lord of the Llamas posted:

It's shameless clickbait with no news worth or public interest. People should be able to sue for poo poo like this.

Considering the time and cost, the lovely byline apology that would (maybe) result and how little it would help with the stress of being exposed, I think the appropriate response around be to go to their office and brick their windows.

Much cheaper, much quicker. gently caress liberalism and gently caress playing by its rules.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Go be a rowdy poor near some Mail journalists, that should get some good headlines about the sky falling.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Zephro posted:

This is the best primer on how Article 50 works and what might happen, whether we can reverse it, whether May might really walk away, how much hardball the EU might play, and so on, and y'all should read it because at least it will help to explain the roach-infested wasteland that will be this country by 2020

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2017/02/15/everything-you-need-to-know-about-article-50-in-five-minutes

For eg:

Let's check those comments then:

quote:

Usual remoaner tosh.

Deals, if necessary, can come after we've left and are free. The sooner we are out the better.

We're hosed, aren't we. We have to replace every moving part in a ten thousand piece machine all at once, have to agree with the machine's current owner what to replace each part with, have to hope that all the new pieces work and can't miss a beat on any of them.

There is no way this is going to work. We are completely hosed.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

namesake posted:

Assuming we're not in a ENGLAND PREVAILS type situation.

Considering that you'd need a good decade of lead time to make Brexit reasonably painless, even if it was being led by a competent and level headed government in the best socio-economic conditions possible, and we're getting less than three years total before we're out, I am wholly confident that the Brexit we're getting will be an utter crashing failure in a very visual way. Not even the most ardent Brexiter will be able to hand wave away the total gridlock both literal and metaphorical leading to every port.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This makes me unreasonably angry, and you see it on basically any large housing development in London. No mention of what an interesting place it is to live, whether there's nice views, local shops, or even a picture of the loving develoopment. The fact it's almost directly opposite the Freedom Press and on the site of the first skirmishes of the Battle of Cable Street makes it feel like I'm being teabagged though.

My favourite is online where properties are marked as being for investors only. I hope their investment burns down just as they exchange contracts.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I always heard/said tigger, but as far as I knew that was just the actual words - it was only when the whole Jeremy Clarkson thing happened that I found out there was a racist version.

My younger kids were actually saying eenie meenie minie mo while choosing toys the other day, they said tiger so that must be the version they say up here.

The problem with the shirt is that without any context, you have to guess what it means based on various versions of the rhyme.

And since there's only one version that involves people, and it's a super bad word, everyone except Walking Dead fans are at best going to be hugely confused and at worst assume they're fash and beat them into paté.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, that was possibly a touch hyperbolic. Also it surprises me every time I hear that Walking Dead still exists, just like Supernatural.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Hoping for bad winds so I can work from home and have a lie in.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Prince John posted:

Out of interest, does anyone know how filibusters generally fail? From what I've seen of successful ones, there's basically no mechanism for the speaker to tell them to sit down unless they go off topic.

Is there any good reason why filibusters exist? If people don't want to engage in a debate or allow a vote then make them gently caress off out the room.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

kustomkarkommando posted:

Didn't Miliband propose giving workers a statutory right to launch purchase bids if a company was put up for sale and guaranteed time to raise funds to match counter bids

It that enough time for the workforce to realise that neoliberalism has ensured there is no way in hell they could hope to raise the funds and start looking for more work before the redundancies kick in?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Pochoclo posted:

High income != wealthy. Capital accumulation takes time. I don't create jobs though, compared to the actual capital class I'm just another poor.

A brief reminder that 'job creation' means using wealth to monopolise the space where jobs can exist and handing them out as piecemeal as possible. Rupert Murdoch has generated a ton of capital, but there sure as poo poo aren't as many journalists anymore.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I was broadly accepting of the reasoning for voting to trigger Article 50, but I'm curious as to whether there is any good justification for voting this down.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Cool, gently caress Labour forever then I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Spuckuk posted:

Making a heaving great pan of scouse for friends and family, and donating a wedge to the feed the homeless fellas down by the bombed out church.

That seems a weird filling for pancakes.

• Locked thread