Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Only from Wikipedia but

quote:

Article 2 and Article 3 of the Constitution of Ireland (Bunreacht na hÉireann) were adopted with the constitution as a whole on 29 December 1937, but completely revised by means of the Nineteenth Amendment which took effect on 2 December 1999.[1] As amended they grant the right to be "part of the Irish Nation" to all of those born on the island of Ireland and express a desire for the peaceful political unification of the island subject to the consent of the peoples of Northern Ireland and Ireland.

Would be odd for the people north and south to demand reunification, but the actual decision to hinge on EU 'sweeteners': though is all quite wishy washy tbf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Per the GFA, if NI votes for reunification it gets put to the citizenry of ROI by referendum. They would need convincing

That's interesting I always assumed they'd be for it tbh.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I don't understand why the EU would be motivated to steep itself in British/Irish/Scottish politics to keep borders open or shut when it can just let the already complex process of Brexit unwind and.

It seems like pie in the sky thinking - especially so for Scotland where some nationalists seek to think the EU's prime concern is keeping them in the EU.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Personally I believe pragmatism will win out in many cases and most of the heart stopping stuff we see about hard borders and tariffs and membership of things like Euratom will ultimately be resolved to the half satisfaction and mild detriment of all.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Skinty McEdger posted:

I support Scottish Independence, but honestly the belief that the EU would let us in doesn't really convince me particularly when there are countries with vested interests in not setting a precedent for letting separatist movements to be recognised. I can't see anyway Spain would go for it for example.

I don't support Scottish independence but I think an independent Scotland would have no problem becoming an EU member state.

I do however think it would take longer than the 18 months stated in the white paper, and Scotland would be worse off as a result.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
White paper on Brexit is out:

https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/827135357544169475

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Darth Walrus posted:

Word is that Abbott was pretty seriously unwell, so we can't draw any political conclusions from that one.

The further word is she threw a sicky.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I definitely want to focus on the LIb dems and their 8 MPs on this issue.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Or a hangover

https://twitter.com/eyespymp/status/826503920075829252

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

J_RBG posted:

Oh wow, just check out this salacious gossip!

The night before she was 'too ill' to vote on the Brexit Bill.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
That's indecipherable on mobile.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Yeah somebody definitely decided to pretend to see Dianne Abbott in a pub because

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Gonzo McFee posted:

...You needed some new material for the thread?

Are you suggesting I fabricated that sighting of Dianne Abbott the day before the Brexit vote in anticipation that she'd be unable to vote after claiming to be too ill?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Gonzo McFee posted:

Yes.

Or it could have been some daft racist given the other two people she was supposedly seen with.

Or an unscrupulous journalist who wants to start some poo poo.

Or it could be a real sighting. Doesn't change the fact it's an anonymous and unreliable source. Shown yourself up imo.

The point is that this sighting was a day before her health was even in question.

Or are you bestowing the ability to travel through time on these unscrupulous journalists?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Gonzo McFee posted:

There's this website called infowars dot com that would suit you down to the ground.

I don't think you understand the sequence of events.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

Not sure it's super pertinent either way tbh.

Well only if you care if she was lying or not.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

If Clive Lewis ends up resigning at the final reading I think he'll also be owed some respect for that.

Why?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
David Milliband is relevant as hell right now.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It's the dog in the house fire comic but it's not the house on fire it's the Labour Party and instead of saying 'this is fine' the dog is making epic burns against a guy that left British politics seven years ago.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Alertrelic posted:

I'm not in the Labour party, Pissflaps. It's not my problem to fix.

In any case, the point isn't that David Milliband is still relevant, it's that people still think his politics is.

Who knows. Corbyn's certainly don't seem to be attracting much interest.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Hang on - aren't you an SNP?

Literally New Labour with nationalism?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Gonzo McFee posted:

Crosspost from Scotpol thread.

https://twitter.com/MeanwhileScotia/status/827180547025801216

Deputy Leader for Scottish Tories invokes the Laffer Curve, is asked a technical question, bottles it.

Close the Scottish parliament.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Pochoclo posted:

SNP is pretty much the only remaining sane-ish party in the UK, hopefully soon the Republic of Scotland.

The SNP are pro monarchy.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Farecoal posted:

Pissflaps who do you think should lead Labour?

Jeremy Corbyn should lead Labour into the next general election.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

I've stated this several times.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

spectralent posted:

Flaps doesn't actually have a better candidate, he just wants to see the one he doesn't like lose so he can say "I told you so" then go back to not actually helping anyone.

I did tell you so.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Broken clocks and all

I'm rarely wrong.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Corbyn is very bashable, tbf.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

hookerbot 5000 posted:

My father in law didn't say he voted leave (we're in Scotland and he's an SNP man) but did say that Brexit was because of gay men kissing on Eastenders.

About 30% of SNP voters voted Leave IIRC so you can't assume he wasn't swayed by this reasoning himself.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
While I wouldn't propose layers of bureaucracy to deal with the relatively small problem of health tourism I don't think it should be ignored as doing so would naturally lead to it becoming an increasing problem, and will erode people's confidence in the NHS model.

Ideally only people entitled to treatment - either by being a British tax payer, coming from a country with a reciprocal agreement or having private means if reimbursement - should be treated by the NHS.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Kokoro Wish posted:

I know what you mean. I mean the lack of attention and focus on the issue since the NHS's inception have led to a state of it being massively overused by health tourists as opposed to UK nationals in tyool 2017 and... oh wait.

How about we pull back from the hyperbole and sarcasm a moment and agree that health tourism is a relatively small problem that has received relatively small attention and been countered with relatively small measures? But at the same time it not a problem we would want to see get worse?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

the notion of health tourism is a bit ridiculous really, you'd have to be coming from further afield than Europe really and if you could afford to do that then you probably have enough cash to afford healthcare.

The NHS does spend money on treating patients it can't recover the costs for so it does happen. The cost of a plane ticket is a lot less than healthcare.

Living in the US you must be aware of this?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

learnincurve posted:

I do not have the source for that one to hand, but it's £200,000,000 . Where the selective use of the figures comes in is that the NHS may spend X amount on dem furrens, but they do get Y back. Papers report X but conveniently forget about Y. I do have a interesting report on NHS spending bookmarked though: page 42 talks about 2 billion on consumables which includes stationary.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/499229/Operational_productivity_A.pdf

According to BBC newsnight the total spent on 'foreign patients' is £1 billion with £200 million spent on non recoverable 'health tourists'.

Though it's not just foreign people - British people who live elsewhere aren't necessarily entitled to free healthcare.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

For 2015/16, the overall NHS budget was around £116.4 billion.

health Tourism is not even 0.2% of the overall budget.

we spent over 10 billion on an abandoned IT system.

there are other places to look for making the NHS more efficient and saving cash if you must do that.

Yeah it's definitely a relatively small problem, and requires a commensurately measured response.

But I think insisting it's not worth acknowledging could only make it a worse problem for the reasons I highlighted earlier.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

people think it's a far worse problem than it is, because highlighting it as a problem fits into the 'all forrins' are bad' narrative that is the zeitgeist these days.

I am sure the NHS is on top of this, but the problem would have to get dramatically worse for it to become a real issue.

It is a real issue, just a small one.

I think acknowledging the issue every now and then is how it will remain a small one.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

feedmegin posted:

The plane ticket thing is only useful if you have an acute condition, in which case you're probably in no shape to get on a plane and are indeed probably in your own country's A&E. If you've got something chronic, well, a tourist visa only lasts so long and you can't work while you're over here in any case which rather offsets the savings in medical bills. And if you do actually immigrate, like my wife did, you get to pay a 100 quid a year fee for the NHS whether you use or not so you're not getting a free ride that way either (plus, y'know, immigrating to the UK is neither easy nor cheap).

OK but some people must be getting a 'free rise' or that £200 million cost wouldn't exist.

I pay for the NHS whether I use it or not - which is as it should be - so I'm not particularly moved by your wife's £100 annual bill tbh.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Mozi posted:

Ah... this is kind of how risk is generally distributed?

I don't understand your question.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

feedmegin posted:

She pays for that on top of the taxes that she pays as a UK resident just as you do.

I don't have a problem with people paying more or less into the NHS depending on their circumstances. I'm surprised you do.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

feedmegin posted:

I have a problem with the circumstances being simply 'you're a foreigner' as opposed to 'you make more money'. From each according to their ability and all that.

Well, you would, because you're being asked to pay a whole extra £100 for access to the NHS.

Lots of foreigners get ongoing, free at the point of care, treatment from the NHS entirely legitimately. Describing it in as simple terms as you are is not entirely honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
This is just the tip of the iceberg.

• Locked thread