Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

What if you have multiple surnames. Or none at all! What then???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

TinTower posted:

Only one Tory rebel: Ken Clarke.

Yeah I was going to say, doesn't bode well for Remain-soft-brexit Tories defying the government and voting for the amendments they all want. They could push brexit down a different and more accountable path if they did, so I guess we'll see if any more of them break ranks

spectralent posted:

Yeah, but a three line whip over a symbolic measure? That's insane. Corbyn's lost a lot of trust I'd had in him over this.

Well yeah, it is symbolic - that's sort of the whole point. Labour's choosing to take a strong official line, a decisive consistent stance, to try and position themselves better for what's coming up. A free vote goes against that, it's almost like officially abstaining. When there's a game plan like this (whatever it's worth) I don't really see what's weird about whipping on it

All the talk and the responses to the resignations seem to be pretty amiable, like there aren't exactly any bridges being burned - and symbolically, any Labour MP who wants to vote No has to openly rebel against the official line, as an individual.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

In a world where Labour were doing there job properly there would actually be a side to defect to. May was able to squash any rebellion simply by committing to a white paper because the Remain lobby in the house is so weak. One Tory rebelling in a parliament where the leader of the Opposition is siding with the Tories is not an accurate measure of how many could be persuaded to rebel in a parliament with an actual Opposition possessing a competent leader. Failing actually blocking the bill, their would have been enough resistance to get worthwhile amendments to protect us from the worse excesses of Brexit.

This is all really, really loving obvious stuff.

Anime isn't real pissflaps

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

jabby posted:

What's the penalty for wearing a ridiculous flat cap with your expensive suit and coat to try and big up your working class image?

Gunning for that Del Boy nostalgia vote

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Isn't that what we're all hoping for now though?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I think you mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltlX2Ggupuc

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

And a good morning to you!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

The leadership of the top two parties has historically indulged in the exact same rhetoric though, arguably for longer than Farage. It's not like he bent the narrative to his whim, he just helped pull it along, and stood to benefit the most from everything going to poo poo

He's definitely got media skills, even before UKIP was popular he was pretty much guarantee a spot on any news report about anything if he wanted it. But the Tories and Labour to an extent set the scene and legitimised this scapegoating, UKIP was just more committed to running with it

Hell maybe Boris Johnson is the most successful - he's credited with starting the whole 'lie about the bonkers EU' strain of journalism that completely took over and shaped people's views of what the EU actually does. What did he say, he enjoyed throwing these reports over the channel and hearing the crash on the other side? Well he definitely went big on that in the end

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Hmm but we're still in the EU? What a bizarrely phrased question......

I can't read again. I guess my mind filled in something relating to recent events

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

What's bizarre about it? We voted to leave the eu and people are being asked if it was right or wrong that we did.

I read bad and thought it was about the parliamentary vote and not the vote 8 months ago

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

The labour voters that stayed labour voters sure as gently caress aren't going to stick around for pro Brexit Labour.

Yeah they are

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

The polls suggest otherwise.

There are polls where 'voting intention: Labour' has 0% in support of Remain?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

These are the polls where labour voters are deserting the party in droves.

Then surely the ones that are staying, if it's all about the Brexit, should be skewing heavily in support of Leave. But you keep posting polls showing the opposite, to show how out of touch the leadership is

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

So it's less a fact borne out by the data, and more a Mystic Flaps prediction

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

What are you claiming I have 'predicted', exactly?

Be specific. Use quotes. I haven't predicted a loving thing.

Your last series of posts where you claim the polls show that "the labour voters that stayed labour voters sure as gently caress aren't going to stick around for pro Brexit Labour" and I said the polls don't show any evidence of this happening, and then you said "they have yet to change their mind"

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Fangz posted:

Okay, let's actually look into this. 3 YouGov polls:

April 2016 (final poll before referendum)
https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/ieuepajv7k/TimesResults_160424_EURef_W.pdf
Remain: Con 24% Lab 52%
Leave: Con 33% Lab 15%

July 2016 (just after May became PM)
http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/7r7q7dltth/InternalResults_160720_VI.pdf
Remain: Con 28% Lab 41%
Leave: Con 52% Lab 16%

Jan 2017 (newest)
http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/3hy4qn55vq/TimesResults_170131_VI_Trackers_W.pdf
Remain: Con 30% Lab 35%
Leave: Con 51% Lab 16%

In summary, Labour amongst remain has plummeted from 52% of the vote to 35% of the vote. Right now remain voters are swinging towards the tories. Labour's barely picked up a single lousy percentage point amongst leavers.

EDIT: doublechecked my lovely transcription.

We're talking about Labour 'going pro-Brexit' in the last couple of weeks, and whether that's driving away the Remain-voting majority of those who intended to vote Labour. What's happened between April last year and now is interesting and all, but it hardly points to Labour's recent Article 50 stance as the cause. Kind of a lot has happened, you know?

But if you want to look at those trends anyway, it might be more helpful to keep things consistent by including the don't knows and non-voters

pre:
April
     Leave Remain
Lab: 13%   43%
Con: 24%   21%

pre:
July
     Leave Remain
Lab: 13%   32%
Con: 39%   22%

pre:
January
     Leave Remain
Lab: 13%   28%
Con: 39%   23%

So it's more like a drop from 43% of Remain voters to 28%, with the vast majority of that loss being realised during the referendum and its outcome - the Tories almost doubling their share of the Leave vote by July. There's been some loss in the 6 months since then, which is obviously bad, but again there are lots of reasons why Labour might have lost a few percent of any demographic over that period

There's been a shift in support for going ahead with Brexit among Remain voters, and it's become a key polling issue overall, which is apparently the specific reason Labour's positioned itself this way on Article 50. If this recent approach has caused an exodus of Remain voters, which is what we're talking about, it hasn't really shown itself in the recent polls

e- sorry had some of the Tory votes reversed, phone postin is hard

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 4, 2017

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Fangz posted:

I also don't know why you think it's reasonable to shed the likelihood to vote screen which is what you are doing by including non-voters.

Like seriously, talking about whether there's a further exodus of remain voters is surely besides the point. The priority surely is to regain those voters. The pro-brexit strategy hasn't gained a single leave voter.

It's reasonable because you're talking about winning over or losing the people who voted Remain, which is a fixed group. Excluding a chunk of them distorts the numbers - like if some of the non/don't know Remain voters decide they will actually support the government going forward, Labour's share will go down even though they haven't lost any votes (or even if they gain some, but not as many). Including all of them shows exactly where their support is or isn't going

And it's not true that they haven't gained any leave voters. I don't know why you just decided to pick those 3 dates where the leave share is 13%, but those polls come out every week and last week's had Labour's leave support on 10%, the week before that it was 9. That doesn't prove we're headed to the moon, but an upward shift since the whole Article 50 positioning thing isn't evidence it's not working either

This is meant to be a long-term strategy for making the best of a poo poo situation. It's too early to say if it's working or not, but whatever happened last year to lose Labour support, they have to move forward from here. And that means winning support from Remain voters too (who, remember, now poll with a majority supporting some form of Brexit)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/KawczynskiMP/status/827994796421763072

Tory MP posts graph showing how debt as percentage of GDP under Labour borrowing. Ed Miliband was such a good PM from 2010 to 2015.

Tory MP deletes graph

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I'm not even sure Farage wants back in at this point. He got what he wanted, he's got some lucrative side gigs out of it, and possibly the ear of the mad king of the west. Brexit is going to be a shitshow and he can influence it from the outside by being a pundit, without the taint of being involved, and he can sweep back in when the time is right for him to 'pick up the pieces' or whatever like some returning hero

Pissflaps posted:

I don't remember that theory being posted in this thread.

I remember posting that theory

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

forkboy84 posted:

No. Definitely not.

Someone did

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I just checked and it was Namtab

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Well yeah that's his cat

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

quote:

In her defence, she argued that it was a political speech that did not contain any allegation of fact but merely expressed an opinion.

Bonus extra

quote:

The issue of costs is still to be decided. It is understood that Collins faces having to meet the entire bill herself, with Ukip not expected to contribute.

I wonder if this will make kippers more wary of spouting non-allegations-of-fact, I mean that's sort of their thing

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

jabby posted:

Jesus Christ, BBC news has a video of an NHS manager going around with a credit card machine demanding £800 a day from foreign visitors to stay in hospital.

How do people like that actually live with themselves? I know a lot of doctors, myself included, who are going to get very angry if they see anyone like that going near their patients.

ITV called it "so-called Health Tourism" which has some nice connotations

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

So these people justifying Corbyn's loving awful three line whip on this bill by saying Labour will get amendments

didn't actually think it was going to happen?

Interesting.

Uh the point was that not threatening to block could make it easier for Tories who are willing to vote against the government line to do so. And even though it's what a lot of them want, I'm not holding my breath

The bit you didn't quote was where I contrasted that with your idea that if Labour had voted against Article 50, the Tory rebels would have totally joined in and defeated it. If there was any chance of that, then surely the broadly popular amendments getting lots of support will be a piece of piss. The only reason to vote against them is tory party unity, so I guess we'll see how that works out huh!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

We'll never know because instead of opposing the bill Labour supports it.

We'll know if none of them vote for the amendments that offer guarantees they've been calling for

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Gorn Myson posted:

The opposition to this idea is "lets just follow the Conservatives and maybe, possibly, if we cross out fingers hard enough, we might be able to mitigate the damage".

Well no, the opposition is "let's not position ourselves against the current public support for Brexit, but work on representing those people and pushing for a better version than the government is willing to deliver, and hold them to account when they fail"

The best case scenario is people getting more and more opposed to the real deal, so that when the time comes, it's politically untenable to actually push the button - and hopefully Labour are in government at that point. And at worst, we get a less damaging version of Brexit. And Labour wants to gain support and put pressure on the process by making clear and popular points without "but you're just opposed to the whole thing" being used to deflect every criticism

I mean whether it will work is a different story, but that's the general idea. The pissflaps vision is Corbyn making the A50 vote fail using some Matrix-style powers, or Corbyn going back in time to change the whole narrative behind the referendum, or anything else where it's all Corbyn's fault and everything would have totally worked out otherwise

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Fangz posted:

You have to lead public opinion sometimes. Especially if public opinion is only narrowly in favour of a position. You have to look through the lies and bullshit and realise, no, I am going to take the right position on this and in a few years you'll see I was right.

It's not that narrow anymore, all the recent polling says that people want some form of Brexit - there's a resignation there, but that's where we are

Taking a wildly unpopular stance (not in numbers, in the sheer amount of vitriol and demonisation that would be aimed at Labour) and then later going "see we were right and you were wrong" isn't a vote-winner. People just aren't rational like that.

Labour are trying to be persuasive and take a position of "we all want the best outcome" and bring the electorate along with them. It's easier to do that as part of the in-group. They're playing the long game here

Pissflaps posted:

Jesus christ youre not paying attention :siren: Corbyn wants Brexit :siren: he would push the loving button.

:captainpop:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

Show your working.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Fangz posted:

Supporting momentarily popular things you don't believe in that you know will be bad and unpopular later, because the press might be ~mean~ is the most disgusting political opinion I've seen all day, and I've been keeping up with US news. Seriously, wtf?

Labour has two options

• be involved in the defining event of this political generation, as a 'serious' player shaping the negotiations and public perception
  • take a principled stance knowing they'll be ostracised, blamed for the end result (because they undermined the process and Britain), and basically gift the Tories and their backers a convenient scapegoat

I really wish being correct was a positive thing in politics. We all know it really, really isn't - I mean the referendum itself was a dry run on this. People aren't going to say "I was wrong all this time!" and reward Labour with their apologies and support. If there's any chance of stopping this, Labour has to be in a position to shape public opinion over the next two years, or even win a snap election. Volunteering to be the national whipping boy won't help, even if it's morally correct as gently caress

The Lib Dems can do that because they don't matter. That's not a burn, they just have the luxury of not being relevant (we've seen what happens when they are in a position of relevance obv)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Fangz posted:

Right, in the same way that everyone blamed the Lib Dems for the Iraq war.

You Do Not Want To Be Involved In Brexit. You want the Tories, who will be the party that forced through the decision on a rushed schedule against the objections of all the other parties, to take 100% of the responsibility. This is easy, easy stuff.

Nobody blamed the Lib Dems for that because, like I said, they don't matter

The Iraq war, and most of the other analogies people use, are different situations. This isn't parliament acting as the public's representatives, taking decisions on our behalf - they're choosing to recognise or overrule the result of a direct vote. That's completely different, and makes the whole thing more complicated - it's a whole other issue on top, one that can turn public opinion (leave or remain voter alike) against Labour. It's why they've been careful to keep saying things like they're not going to block it, they're respecting the decision, etc

The Iraq war also wasn't a vote to start a process where the actual plan for intervention was discussed over two years, where the actual type of intervention hadn't been proposed, with the possibility to not go through with it at all

The Iraq war was also a Labour initiative, pushed for by Tony Blair personally, so of course that's where the blame is going to lie. How much do people blame the Tories for supporting it?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

What are the chances of the Lords causing a bit of trouble? I'm guessing they won't throw themselves to the wolves by actually blocking it, but are there any rumours of any spoilers going down?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

LemonDrizzle posted:

According to the Guardian, none - there have been so many "we want hard brexit and we want it now" votes in Parliament that the Lords would be unable to justify presenting any meaningful impediment to the bill's passage.

Unable according to procedure, or more "they wouldn't!!!"? Given the gravity of this whole thing and the lasting impact they might feel this is a unique situation. And the Tories don't have a majority so there's potential for a meaningful resistance, to force amendments etc.

Aside from the Mail and Express having all their heads on pikes by tomorrow evening of course COMMEMORATIVE PULLOUT FOR YOU TO TREASURE FOREVER

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

Why are you expecting the Lords to do the oppositions job?

Because they have the numbers to do so

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

spectralent posted:

Well, yes, I assumed you'd read the i-told-you-so argument as being more diplomatically phrased than going up to a load of starving homeless, dropping trou and sharting over them.

Being against an un-amended bill would've let them make the former (or, either, honestly, but, see above) argument. They can't, now; they voted for it, and either capitulated what's going to have turned out to be a huge fight, or were complicit against the interests of people they say they care about.

This isn't what happened though. Here's what Labour did:
  • took an official stance that they wouldn't block a direct democratic vote
  • officially voted not to block the electorate's decision
  • tabled amendments seeking guarantees and influence on the process from the Tories
  • officially voted for those amendments - the Tories blocked them
  • officially voted not to block the electorate's decision

That's the key difference - this wasn't a normal vote where they get to decide on our behalf what they think should happen, the electorate had already decided. That's fundamentally different from the Tories saying "we want to do this" and Labour saying "we think that's bad". It would have been a vote to overturn a democratic decision, poo poo as that decision is, and that's a whole other can of worms. Same for threatening to block it if the amendments weren't passed, if we're being optimists and believing there was ever a hope of enough Tories breaking ranks and voting against the final bill in an act of political suicide

But what they did is to vote for significant changes to the process, which the Tories voted against. So yeah, it is a Tory brexit, because the Tories have voted to keep full control and responsibility for how the negotiations go, and they're gonna go very badly. They openly rejected the kind of soft-brexit safeguards the majority of people want to see at minimum. Labour now represent people's ideal of how things should go, the Tories get to own the terrible reality

Whether you think there's even a remote chance of that working out, that's basically Labour's strategy for the next two years. I know everyone's unhappy that it's going ahead, and disappointed that Labour didn't stand against it on principle, but do you really honestly think it could have been stopped? The best chance of stopping it (and all the disaster and suffering it's going to bring) is to push public opinion to the 'hell no this is a bad idea' side, and either hold a second referendum on the deal or just outright cancel the whole thing with public backing. Labour needs to become a trusted voice on this, and that's what they're trying to do

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Regarde Aduck posted:

Good post but I don't think this is the public's impression. I think Tory voters are empowered by what they see as a strong leader and Labour voters feel abandoned. Labour may have done everything in a proper and noble fashion but I feel they are going to pay dearly.

It's definitely not the public impression right now, no - like you say the Tories represent the architects of all the Brexit hopes and dreams, Labour represents at best a good faith bystander and at worst a party that's betrayed people

But that was always going to be the trade-off, and they're positioning themselves for the long term. Representing an opposition to the road the government is taking us down, making demands and criticisms in good faith instead of as the anti-brexit party that (obviously) just wants to be contrarian and undermine things

People who felt betrayed will become more resignedly pragmatic, people who believed the Tories' promises will identify more with Labour's position as the hard truth starts to shake out. That's the hope anyway. We've got two years for people to gradually be convinced that things are going to be Real hosed Up, and maybe for a 'stay in with reforms' deal to be struck with the EU. This is basically the start of a new era of politics

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

jBrereton posted:

This right here is some revisionist bullshit.

Labour openly said they were making no attempt at all to stop anything if the amendments failed. So what's the point of even asking? And if you say it's a "democratic decision", I mean who the gently caress voted for this current leadership (nobody directly) and who the gently caress voted for Brexit meaning Let's Go It Alone if Theresa May's team doesn't like it? No effort was ever made to sway public opinion against Brexit after the vote despite it being very close, and there being known buyer's remorse in the aftermath for a lot of people.

Carte blanche for the Tories was not a democratically made choice. It's a disgrace.

The point of asking is that they tried to add sensible guarantees and requirements to the process, which were shot down by the Tories. You can think of it as symbolic like voting against A50 would have been, if you like. They never had any power to force the issue, this is a Tory majority united behind their party, even when it comes to amendments many of their pro-remain MPs wanted

Hell I wanted another referendum, or the whole thing blocked, but I also recognise how much of a shitstorm surrounds both of those at the moment. Nothing's changed, the Tories are still promising the moon, more people than ever support going through with it, and Labour need the power to convince the pro-Leave side in particular that things are actually looking bad - being the bad guy and the scapegoat doesn't help with that

I keep saying it but Labour are in a really difficult situation right now, and they've made a hard choice with short-term fallout hoping for long-term influence. People keep going "Corbyn wants brexit!" but the fact is the party in general backed this approach, against their own beliefs and often their constituencies'. They ain't doing this out of fierce loyalty to their beloved leader. If it were clear it would work then it'd have been an easy decision, but they've decided it's their best shot

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^bad ratings for Corbyn? No way!

Zalakwe posted:

Brexit is likely motivating a lot of people.

To do what though? Vote in a Lib Dem councillor = ???

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Feb 10, 2017

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Zalakwe posted:

Or MP. So far. It's a wonder no-one has given them anything better to get behind.

MP sure, but it seems like people are really projecting when they see local council results and chalk it up to a single, completely unconnected issue

I voted for my local councillor because of the government's stance on foreign aid, how about you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Thing with the three-line whip is it sets a strong official position for Labour (not denying the democratic vote) as a strategy to be more persuasive and win support, but it also puts it all on Corbyn's head

I have no idea if he's planning for someone else taking over, but if there is a successor they could both benefit from that positioning as a party that isn't merely out to undermine the process, and also take a strong anti-brexit line as an individual who had the whip imposed on them

Kind of a fine line but a lot of this vote was toxic, and Corbyn's absorbing a lot of that. He's not the kind of person to whip on things, so maybe that was part of his thinking when he got assertive on this strategy 🤔

• Locked thread