Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

I can remember a lot of things from my past. A few of my memories go as far back as me being three years old. If I was locked away I could happily life in the past, replaying things in my head. I do this far too often now anyway. I can't understand how some people barely know what happened a month ago. But then again they are better at filtering out the white noise.

When I understood what it means to read I learned reading in three weeks. I read a lot in my youth until computers came along.

Despite the above I am neither clever nor too well functioning.

Me too. I can remember my baptism which was at about 10 months. My first coherent memory is at about 18 months. I learned to read and speak very fast as well. I was using multiple syllable words before I could walk. Sentences like "Daddy is bringing Amoxicillin to Grandpa" (My dad wrote that down in his notebook).

However, I still can't do simple math easily at the age of 38. What's 7x6? For me it could be a billion or -8. I have to use a calculator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I half remember being a sperm. My egg memories are all lost.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DoggPickle posted:

I know this thread is about being a funny rear end concerning the OP, but screw it, I'm pissed and I want to vent

I had a perfect 800 verbal SAT and 710 math and was a National Scholarship Semifinalist
a 4.2 GPA and no bad dings on my record
I was the #1 seed in our tennis club which was pretty ghetto and I was the best of a bunch of bad tennis players but
Keeper on the soccer team for 2 years
Editor of the school newspaper
Contributing editor to the yearbook
In the best possible school choir for all 4 years which was unheard of, I was the only freshman in the top choir
I ran school photographs and helped do machiney stuff in the labs and science rooms. I was in all AP top classes and aced them

Like WTF William and Mary? Did I have to be the actual reincarnation of Jesus to get in there?

And William and Mary still turned me the gently caress down and I had to go George Mason.

Wait, you mentioned being 38 in a later post so why do you still care about this? People above the age of like 25 or so who still feel the need to tell people about their achievements pre-college are trying to compensate for something, and I say this as a 31 year old who sometimes feels tempted to do the same thing.

All that being said, depending upon how competitive William and Mary is it's still interesting you didn't get in. From my experience (I had similar grades and slightly better SAT compared with you) my SAT score alone was enough to get admitted to pretty much any non-ivy or ivy-equivalent college (for example getting into NYU or Boston University with a significant scholarship was easy but I didn't get admitted to MIT or Harvard). But once you're talking about top tier colleges it's never guaranteed, with having maxed out grades and a 1500+ SAT (using the old score, dunno how it works now) being a mere prerequisite.

edit: Judging from its current ranking, it's pretty high up there, so I don't think it's that strange that you didn't get in. It's kind of hard to guarantee admittance to any school that's really highly ranked.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Snorkzilla posted:

I was once paid to break up a shaving cream fight that involved a cheerleading squad in various states of undress. Some of the girls were fully nude. I also stuck around to supervise as they cleaned up the mess they had made. I was a 17 year old male at the time.

When did you transition

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.

shame on an IGA posted:

When did you transition

I was no longer 17 on my 18th birthday.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Ytlaya posted:

Wait, you mentioned being 38 in a later post so why do you still care about this? People above the age of like 25 or so who still feel the need to tell people about their achievements pre-college are trying to compensate for something, and I say this as a 31 year old who sometimes feels tempted to do the same thing.

All that being said, depending upon how competitive William and Mary is it's still interesting you didn't get in. From my experience (I had similar grades and slightly better SAT compared with you) my SAT score alone was enough to get admitted to pretty much any non-ivy or ivy-equivalent college (for example getting into NYU or Boston University with a significant scholarship was easy but I didn't get admitted to MIT or Harvard). But once you're talking about top tier colleges it's never guaranteed, with having maxed out grades and a 1500+ SAT (using the old score, dunno how it works now) being a mere prerequisite.

edit: Judging from its current ranking, it's pretty high up there, so I don't think it's that strange that you didn't get in. It's kind of hard to guarantee admittance to any school that's really highly ranked.

Well to be fair, it was a thread about stuff people don't believe, so that's where I was coming from. Yeah so, I understand that it seemed ranty and off-topic when I said it, but it's still (despite my age.. it's something that I'm still a little bitter about, sorry) seems pretty non-sensible and makes people DOUBT the facts that I presented, like the near perfect SAT, well perfect 800 verbal and 710 math, when the average was like 1000 or something (this was 1997), and all my extra-curricular activities, beyond-perfect grades, and I'm fairly certain I had a great essay. I was also asked to skip high-school and go straight to college when I got a 1300-something in 7th grade. So what the gently caress else was I supposed to do? I am about 99% sure that some teacher that hated me intervened or something, because I really don't understand what else I could possibly have done to be accepted to W&M in my own home state. No scholarship, just accepted at all.

I'm not a crazy person, so I'm not MAD anymore. I just occasionally wonder what different paths my life would have taken. I like my life though, so it's not a big deal. Except I probably would have had a shitload more money by now. And a degree from WIlliam and Mary to hang on the wall, instead of George Mason. BIG WHOOP I guess. Get me a T-shirt :dance:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

DoggPickle posted:

I just occasionally wonder what different paths my life would have taken. I like my life though, so it's not a big deal.

If you truly believe this, congratulations, you beat the system, you won.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

doverhog posted:

No, he was just posting things about himself that no one believes when he tells them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A lot of people think I made up one of my friends. This guy I met in high school is a hell of a weird character, and I always tell stories about him. We don't live in the same area anymore and I haven't seen him in, sadly, literal years, but some of the poo poo this kid used to do was so surreal and/or socially incompetent and/or mentally "off" that people think I invented him just to tell weird stories.

I have a completed save game file of Zelda: LttP with three hearts and no sword. You can see that it's completed because of the number of deaths is listed. (0)
This isn't even impressive, it's just a glitch. You can break the game if you can hit up and down at the same time and walk into a room backward. You'll go into a Z-level where you can't interact with objects at all, including walls. It turns out all the internal map is ONE BIG MAP that is loaded in the same area. So you can just sort of wander around until you find the Tri Force, and touching THAT still definitely works. (And Ganon still has a big speech for you and pose with his trident/whatever before you just sort of say "Nope!" and walk right through him.)

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

doverhog posted:

I honestly don't know if you're making fun of me. Because "I like my life, so it's not a big deal" seems like a pretty good attitude to have. Do you have that?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

That's the tone, that 1/3 uncertainty, that I'm going for with my posting. But yes. I'd call it an acquired taste though.

doverhog fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 18, 2017

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
My personal actions have saved multiple lives.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

maporfic posted:

I voted for Trump and I don't regret it.

hachi machi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i am allergic to success and it could kill me

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

My personal actions have saved multiple lives.

I was at summer camp and it was back in the 80's and we went on a 4 day hike and like climbed actual mountains and had to hang up our food so bears wouldn't kill us at night, and I was VERY close to falling off a huge cliff because I had a huge backpack on and I tripped, and my friend Joy grabbed my hand and I believe literally saved my life.

What did you do?

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
When lots of people are being sarcastic or joking I keep a straight face and just go on believing them and then they feel the need because I don't laugh or react that they have to tell me "I was just being sarcastic" and they think I did not get that. Then I try to tell them I got it and was just going along with them to be funny they don't believe or are just confused. Goon problems...

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.
"I can CHANGE babe, please take me back"

never loving works

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i'm a soul man

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
17/f/california

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

No matter how loudly I scream, the only thing that ever comes to help is more bees.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Born and raised in Australia and I have never drank an alcoholic beverage in my life.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
That I am not a virgin.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
My earliest memorie is going to a dance with dad and coming home with mom.

No, but really, you can't remember anything from before you are three. Anything you think you can remember is a fake memory, this is well established by actual doctors and scientists.

You are not special, you are not the one in a billion, you are not right because you "really know you're right".

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

504 posted:

My earliest memorie is going to a dance with dad and coming home with mom.

No, but really, you can't remember anything from before you are three. Anything you think you can remember is a fake memory, this is well established by actual doctors and scientists.

You are not special, you are not the one in a billion, you are not right because you "really know you're right".

I mean, I remember quite a few things between the ages of 2 and 3. That age gate of 3 is by no means set in stone at all. I remember moving house, I have several memories of when I was at a nursery, being in a pram etc. Several of the memories have been corroborated, and they aren't like the sorts of things people discuss that I could have engineered a fake memory. I remember playing with a toy train in a sand pit at the back of our old house which we left when I was 2 and a half. I volunteered that information, I don't remember anything about the house or the garden, but it turned out to be true we had a sand pit.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, I remember falling into a pool at age 2 and nearly drowning. Specific details of the incident have been verified, since at one point I described the memory to my parents, about where the pool was, how I could see two bent over palm trees hanging over the water while I sat at the bottom, the way the tiles in the pool looked, and that it was my uncle who rescued me. All matched what happened, and a photo my aunt had that I had never seen showed the pool with matching tiles and two palm trees hanging over the pool.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Don't be the "Oh I know this applies to most people but I'm special, honest" in this thread.

You are not special.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

504 posted:

Don't be the "Oh I know this applies to most people but I'm special, honest" in this thread.

You are not special.

I am telling you, I am special. Why won't you believe me?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

504 posted:

You are not special.

Nobody's saying that, just pointing out that you're wrong that age 3 is somehow a hard barrier to memory. Like, remembering stuff between the ages of 2-3 is not even that uncommon. Maybe if somebody was claiming to have memories of being in the womb or being born, or their first birthday, I might agree with you. Age 3 is just the generally accepted time at which we begin to have a cognitive self and encode memories that we can remember as adults, but it was never meant to preclude that people have isolated memories before age 3.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
No, it's 3. There's an internal clock and once it rolls over to 3 like the odometer in your car clicking over another mile, the memory function kicks in. This is how the body works, yes sir.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I have photographic memory from the age of 6 months on

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I still remember being a sperm.

Joe Son
Jul 23, 2009
My dad really did work at Nintendo

Joe Son
Jul 23, 2009
As a janitor. :grin:

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Cucumber and watermelon tastes extremely bitter to me. I can taste the bitterness in just about everything even in a heavy garlicy tzatziki or a tuna salad.

Of course I get overbearing smiles or "oh you're so special" eyerolls whenever I dissect a salad or whatever containing either :(

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Lima posted:

Cucumber and watermelon tastes extremely bitter to me. I can taste the bitterness in just about everything even in a heavy garlicy tzatziki or a tuna salad.

Of course I get overbearing smiles or "oh you're so special" eyerolls whenever I dissect a salad or whatever containing either :(

I have this with cucumber too, and a little bit on watermelon but I like it enough to ignore it. My doctor suggested it was related to my allergy to ragweed, based on some genetic mutation like the cilantro one. I also hate the way people eyeroll when I talk about it, it's really really really bitter in cucumber, to the point of it being almost inedible even with just a little bit in a salad.

Arash
Mar 14, 2017

Professional opossum.
Grimey Drawer
When I was 4 I figured out Santa wasn't real on my own by watching documentaries on the science channel. I debated my parents on how Santa couldn't be real (the best I could at 4). For context I was watching a documentary on light or something and I learned that nothing could travel faster than light. Later I saw a documentary on Christmas and learned that Santa would have to travel faster than light to deliver presents all over the world in one night. I connected the dots. Despite this I still believed in the Easter Bunny because my mom told me that there were actually more than one bunnies that hid eggs. I thought this to be a plausible explanation.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

I still believe in Santa

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

for fucks sake posted:

I still believe in Santa

Me too.

Dat niggas real

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
I got slapped by the Dalai Lama.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
I regret the amount of time I wasted in my childhood on grinding videogames.

The reason nobody believes me is because I tell them over Steam while playing video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

That makes perfect sense. As a kid you could have spent that time flying a kite, or looking for treasure, or building a tree fort, all with an open and unscarred mind. Experiences your old self can never have.

• Locked thread