Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I have an above average number of arms and if you have two you do too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

I have an above average number of arms and if you have two you do too

Everyone believes that as soon as they think about it for a second. :colbert:

I know what shrimp are. (They're prawns!)

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
I'm not actually gay

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I guess the only thing people have consistently not believed about me, openly or not, is how I revised for exams/wrote essays and so on. I never revised for anything more than 1-2 days in advance, usually for a handful of hours total. I've written every essay I was ever set at school or university the night before it was due, regardless of length. I wrote my 15,000 word dissertation, including 100+ citations, in the last two days before it was due and got a top grade for it. It was meant to be written over the course of 6 months or something, with biweekly contact with an adviser. When I handed it over to mine, who I had never talked to except to sponsor my proposal, he had forgotten about me entirely.

I lived with a girl who went to library for like 8 hours a day pretty much every day, was constantly working on her projects/essays for the full allocated time, tweaking/editing etc. doing in-depth research. She didn't understand or believe how I worked, and likewise I couldn't really understand how a person could live in the library like that.

Yeah, take that thread. Realposting.

maporfic
Dec 11, 2015
I voted for Trump and I don't regret it.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I once met an engineer that wasn't an rear end in a top hat. He also drove a beamer and didn't have those blue gently caress off headlights perpetually set to highbeams.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I've been stabbed twice and once took a job placement test in elementary school and was told I best fit being a stay at home dad.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I have a life.

And friends.

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

I have dozens of skydives but I've never jumped out of a plane.

so, helicopters or hot air balloons? or are you counting BASE jumping?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

kathmandu posted:

He dove out of the sky, stupid.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i got bitten by a tree frog once

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

JoelJoel posted:

Yeah, you made those memories up. Memory is fluid and you just pieced poo poo together from stuff you know and your dad verified it like an idiot, further cementing the fake memories. None of your memories are 100 percent accurate and most are very wrong and embellished.

Another very plausible, if not outright likely, explanation is that he heard about the event in question at some point (possibly even from his dad) but later mistakenly believed it was something he directly remembered. If it was from his dad, his dad simply may have forgotten mentioning it.

I have a similar pseudo-memory of falling out of a carriage as a toddler. The event in question actually happened, but chances are I just heard about it from someone and falsely believed it was something I actually remembered.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i ate a man in tennessee

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I used to be really smart but a combination of drug and alcohol abuse has made me fairly dumb. Because of this, I have gained a huge amount of personal and professional success.

Be dumb, it's much better.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

You must have read the thread title wrong, because I deeeefinitely believe that you're dumb as hell.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i'm dumb as hell, perpetually angry and have no sense of smell

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

This is for real, and you should dedicate your life to numbers if you want to discover a new prime number or solve a crazy unknown equation or whatever. You may have a bright future in physics if you're not lazy.

I totally understand if you don't, because gently caress that boring life lol. Numbers aren't 'fun' and neither is math.

I see numbers in a similar way. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but what do the numbers, 3, 6, 7, 8, and 9 mean to you? I know it's not a simple answer to put into words, and you may have to write a lot, but drat. I'm curious to know, because those numbers mean some serious poo poo to me.

The numbers often take on new meaning in combinations, personally. If I was to SUPER simplify it, I would say -

3 - Good number, but needs something with it. In small settings, an excellent number. Strong, but only in certain settings. Can be tricky.

6 - Fluid, easy to deal with, but somewhat treacherous.

7 - drat near perfection for a rugged, small number. Defies the odds.

8 - Similar to six without any treacherous undertones.

9 - Daunting, big, powerful, tricky, but possibly benevolent.

That is waaaaaaay simplifying things. I used to think I just had associations with numbers and memory was the prime component. But I've talked about how I feel about numbers (and that I think it's all rubbish) but the person was gobsmacked how I could explain numbers as almost a vague shape. I also have never been good at math because my brain cannot rectify zero being a number and not a number. It feels like ten should be eleven and etc.

Before anyone asks, I have extremely controlled OCD.

I know this all sounds crazy, but I was perusing the thread and this caught my eye. Also I'm an agnostic that believes close to nothing so I'm not about to start ranting about loving crystals and poo poo.

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.
Hmmm yes I'm sure having different associations attached to numbers is going to be very helpful with any maths more complex than arithmetic. But hey, all the power to you if you can do what the most basic calculators can do for at least the last 30 years!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

kathmandu posted:

None of the above. Prenatal.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
1 - insecure rear end in a top hat with insatiable craving for power
2 - petulant and snide
3 - seriously gently caress this neurotic ungrateful piece of
4 - okay, a bit of a nerd
5 - serious personality problems here, changes like the weather, insults me and then pretends it never happened
6 - sexual deviant
7 - fat, smug and over-qualified for its job
8 - who the gently caress does it think it is strutting around like that
9 - doing its best in very difficult circumstances
10 - ugh

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I know this thread is about being a funny rear end concerning the OP, but screw it, I'm pissed and I want to vent

I had a perfect 800 verbal SAT and 710 math and was a National Scholarship Semifinalist
a 4.2 GPA and no bad dings on my record
I was the #1 seed in our tennis club which was pretty ghetto and I was the best of a bunch of bad tennis players but
Keeper on the soccer team for 2 years
Editor of the school newspaper
Contributing editor to the yearbook
In the best possible school choir for all 4 years which was unheard of, I was the only freshman in the top choir
I ran school photographs and helped do machiney stuff in the labs and science rooms. I was in all AP top classes and aced them

Like WTF William and Mary? Did I have to be the actual reincarnation of Jesus to get in there?

And William and Mary still turned me the gently caress down and I had to go George Mason.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Nessa posted:

I get some disbelief when I tell people my age.

This happens to me all the time. People usually guess 16/17 unless I'm at work (I'm a nurse) and then they know I have to be at least 20. I'm 27. I actually went to give blood last year and when the guy up front asked me my age I told him and he just laughed and laughed and said "really?" JFC dude do you think I'm making it up? It made me super mad. I was like "at my job, I'm in charge of 5-6 adults, that makes me a super adult!" He was not amused and still didn't believe me. I didn't give blood.

It happens to my husband too when he shaves. People at the liquor store have threatened to call the police on him and he just laughed and told them to go right ahead. He is 26.

Professor Shark posted:

I have memories from when I was less than a year old.

This also. My earliest memory is from 2 weeks before my 2nd birthday when my family moved. I distinctly remember being at daycare until lunch and then getting into the Jeep with my dad and our dogs. I remember we had a U-Haul full of plants in the back. Just a really coherent crisp set of memories about the day we moved.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

This happens to me all the time. People usually guess 16/17 unless I'm at work (I'm a nurse) and then they know I have to be at least 20. I'm 27. I actually went to give blood last year and when the guy up front asked me my age I told him and he just laughed and laughed and said "really?" JFC dude do you think I'm making it up? It made me super mad. I was like "at my job, I'm in charge of 5-6 adults, that makes me a super adult!" He was not amused and still didn't believe me. I didn't give blood.

It happens to my husband too when he shaves. People at the liquor store have threatened to call the police on him and he just laughed and told them to go right ahead. He is 26.

This also. My earliest memory is from 2 weeks before my 2nd birthday when my family moved. I distinctly remember being at daycare until lunch and then getting into the Jeep with my dad and our dogs. I remember we had a U-Haul full of plants in the back. Just a really coherent crisp set of memories about the day we moved.
I have ZERO memories before 7 or 8 years old. I still believe you, but I'm jealous I guess.

I'm 38 TODAY and I used to get carded constantly, but it recently stopped happening, and trust me, you'll kind of miss it when it stops. :laffo:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I was run over by an unmanned golf cart as a child.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Control Volume posted:

I was run over by an unmanned golf cart as a child.

So what'd you do to piss your mum off so much?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

DoggPickle posted:

I have ZERO memories before 7 or 8 years old. I still believe you, but I'm jealous I guess.

I'm 38 TODAY and I used to get carded constantly, but it recently stopped happening, and trust me, you'll kind of miss it when it stops. :laffo:

I don't get it. You're 38 years old and you still bother telling people you were the keeper on your school's soccer team for 2 years and nobody believes you? Do you have some incredibly bad physical deformity or something?

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

fart simpson posted:

I don't get it. You're 38 years old and you still bother telling people you were the keeper on your school's soccer team for 2 years and nobody believes you? Do you have some incredibly bad physical deformity or something?

What? I was pissed about my college "resume" being totally awesome and still not getting into the school that I really wanted. Shut up fart.

*edit* I was offered a total scholarship to skip everything after 7th grade and go directly to college and I turned it down because I didn't want to be Doogie Howser. Then ^that poo poo happened. BELIEVE

DoggPickle fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 10, 2017

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

DoggPickle posted:

why do people do this

like, if you used to be carded constantly surely you are aware that anyone who looks even slightly young for their age has heard this terrible joke hundreds if not thousands of times already

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

why do people do this

like, if you used to be carded constantly surely you are aware that anyone who looks even slightly young for their age has heard this terrible joke hundreds if not thousands of times already

It's not a joke. It seems like an annoying eternity when you can't buy Nyquil or the good allergy pills without an ID, but it's all very light-hearted and funny and just kind of annoying, and then it GENUINELY hurts your ego just a little when it stops. Getting constantly carded for cigarettes at 36-37 isn't looking "slightly young" btw. That's more than double the legal age.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

DoggPickle posted:

I'm 38 TODAY

*googles average lifespan of orangutan*

*is sad* :(

stay safe dogpickle

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Calibanibal posted:

*googles average lifespan of orangutan*

*is sad* :(

stay safe dogpickle

Duh, it's Doggpickle with two G's like Snoop Dogg. My family's average lifespan is ~60. That's a heavily weighted average because of one pretty old grandparent, and not a mean. The mean would be closer to 45. BELIEVE.

What is the average lifespan of an orangutan? I would have guessed that they got pretty old.:( Not giant tortoise-old, but around human old.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

its 35-45

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I consider myself a mystic, in a very broad sense. Got the feeling the person I mentioned this to didn't buy it. :11tea:

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
One time I got chased through a forest by rednecks in ATVs. It was midnight, and I just barely got away by turning off my flashlight and blindly running through what turned out to be a patch of standing knee-deep water. It was such a strange, fantastical event that I've stopped telling people about it because I can tell they think I'm making it up.

There are very, very few moments in life where you are tested to your limits. You can never really know what you'll do in that type of survival situation until it suddenly happens. It turned out to be a near-spiritual, transformative experience for me, since I learned that I'm capable of pushing myself to beyond what I thought were my physical limits when the moment calls for it, and that I'll fight with all I got instead of rolling over and giving up.

And so I'm okay with no one believing me. I believe me, and that's enough.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Why were they chasing you?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I have directly saved the lives of two people, one was a kid that was choking and turning blue and another was swept away in a very large and fast moving river.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
It was good of you to stop choking that kid.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
I was once paid to break up a shaving cream fight that involved a cheerleading squad in various states of undress. Some of the girls were fully nude. I also stuck around to supervise as they cleaned up the mess they had made. I was a 17 year old male at the time.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

DoggPickle posted:

What? I was pissed about my college "resume" being totally awesome and still not getting into the school that I really wanted. Shut up fart.

*edit* I was offered a total scholarship to skip everything after 7th grade and go directly to college and I turned it down because I didn't want to be Doogie Howser. Then ^that poo poo happened. BELIEVE

Please try to stay on topic next time. It can be confusing when you derail the thread with unrelated stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i can sound a shofar with my rear end

• Locked thread