Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I guess the only thing people have consistently not believed about me, openly or not, is how I revised for exams/wrote essays and so on. I never revised for anything more than 1-2 days in advance, usually for a handful of hours total. I've written every essay I was ever set at school or university the night before it was due, regardless of length. I wrote my 15,000 word dissertation, including 100+ citations, in the last two days before it was due and got a top grade for it. It was meant to be written over the course of 6 months or something, with biweekly contact with an adviser. When I handed it over to mine, who I had never talked to except to sponsor my proposal, he had forgotten about me entirely.

I lived with a girl who went to library for like 8 hours a day pretty much every day, was constantly working on her projects/essays for the full allocated time, tweaking/editing etc. doing in-depth research. She didn't understand or believe how I worked, and likewise I couldn't really understand how a person could live in the library like that.

Yeah, take that thread. Realposting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

504 posted:

My earliest memorie is going to a dance with dad and coming home with mom.

No, but really, you can't remember anything from before you are three. Anything you think you can remember is a fake memory, this is well established by actual doctors and scientists.

You are not special, you are not the one in a billion, you are not right because you "really know you're right".

I mean, I remember quite a few things between the ages of 2 and 3. That age gate of 3 is by no means set in stone at all. I remember moving house, I have several memories of when I was at a nursery, being in a pram etc. Several of the memories have been corroborated, and they aren't like the sorts of things people discuss that I could have engineered a fake memory. I remember playing with a toy train in a sand pit at the back of our old house which we left when I was 2 and a half. I volunteered that information, I don't remember anything about the house or the garden, but it turned out to be true we had a sand pit.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

504 posted:

Don't be the "Oh I know this applies to most people but I'm special, honest" in this thread.

You are not special.

Nobody's saying that, just pointing out that you're wrong that age 3 is somehow a hard barrier to memory. Like, remembering stuff between the ages of 2-3 is not even that uncommon. Maybe if somebody was claiming to have memories of being in the womb or being born, or their first birthday, I might agree with you. Age 3 is just the generally accepted time at which we begin to have a cognitive self and encode memories that we can remember as adults, but it was never meant to preclude that people have isolated memories before age 3.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

I'm interested to know if anyone else can sense cardinal directions, like a feeling in your gut. I have really good geospatial awareness and navigation skills, and it seems to be that part of it is I can feel which cardinal direction I'm travelling in or facing. Every direction feels different. For example, I went to Mexico City for the first time and my friend took me to see Teotihuacán. I didn't know where it was, but when we were driving, the feeling for east kept happening, so I asked if that's where we were going and it was. Well, that's my weird story about being in tune with my instincts and the Earth, it's been fun.

It's probably magnetoreception. There is some sketchy evidence that humans are possibly attuned to magnetic fields, obviously to a greater or lesser extent. They fairly recently rediscovered that we have magnetic field receptive cryptochromes in our eyes. I have a very good sense of direction, but I don't "feel" east/west in a synaesthetic the way you seem to. If you can reproduce it reliably, science might be interested in you to be honest. Could you sense cardinal directions in a closed room? With your eyes closed and spun around?

• Locked thread