Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I know this thread is about being a funny rear end concerning the OP, but screw it, I'm pissed and I want to vent

I had a perfect 800 verbal SAT and 710 math and was a National Scholarship Semifinalist
a 4.2 GPA and no bad dings on my record
I was the #1 seed in our tennis club which was pretty ghetto and I was the best of a bunch of bad tennis players but
Keeper on the soccer team for 2 years
Editor of the school newspaper
Contributing editor to the yearbook
In the best possible school choir for all 4 years which was unheard of, I was the only freshman in the top choir
I ran school photographs and helped do machiney stuff in the labs and science rooms. I was in all AP top classes and aced them

Like WTF William and Mary? Did I have to be the actual reincarnation of Jesus to get in there?

And William and Mary still turned me the gently caress down and I had to go George Mason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

This happens to me all the time. People usually guess 16/17 unless I'm at work (I'm a nurse) and then they know I have to be at least 20. I'm 27. I actually went to give blood last year and when the guy up front asked me my age I told him and he just laughed and laughed and said "really?" JFC dude do you think I'm making it up? It made me super mad. I was like "at my job, I'm in charge of 5-6 adults, that makes me a super adult!" He was not amused and still didn't believe me. I didn't give blood.

It happens to my husband too when he shaves. People at the liquor store have threatened to call the police on him and he just laughed and told them to go right ahead. He is 26.

This also. My earliest memory is from 2 weeks before my 2nd birthday when my family moved. I distinctly remember being at daycare until lunch and then getting into the Jeep with my dad and our dogs. I remember we had a U-Haul full of plants in the back. Just a really coherent crisp set of memories about the day we moved.
I have ZERO memories before 7 or 8 years old. I still believe you, but I'm jealous I guess.

I'm 38 TODAY and I used to get carded constantly, but it recently stopped happening, and trust me, you'll kind of miss it when it stops. :laffo:

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

fart simpson posted:

I don't get it. You're 38 years old and you still bother telling people you were the keeper on your school's soccer team for 2 years and nobody believes you? Do you have some incredibly bad physical deformity or something?

What? I was pissed about my college "resume" being totally awesome and still not getting into the school that I really wanted. Shut up fart.

*edit* I was offered a total scholarship to skip everything after 7th grade and go directly to college and I turned it down because I didn't want to be Doogie Howser. Then ^that poo poo happened. BELIEVE

DoggPickle fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 10, 2017

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

why do people do this

like, if you used to be carded constantly surely you are aware that anyone who looks even slightly young for their age has heard this terrible joke hundreds if not thousands of times already

It's not a joke. It seems like an annoying eternity when you can't buy Nyquil or the good allergy pills without an ID, but it's all very light-hearted and funny and just kind of annoying, and then it GENUINELY hurts your ego just a little when it stops. Getting constantly carded for cigarettes at 36-37 isn't looking "slightly young" btw. That's more than double the legal age.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Calibanibal posted:

*googles average lifespan of orangutan*

*is sad* :(

stay safe dogpickle

Duh, it's Doggpickle with two G's like Snoop Dogg. My family's average lifespan is ~60. That's a heavily weighted average because of one pretty old grandparent, and not a mean. The mean would be closer to 45. BELIEVE.

What is the average lifespan of an orangutan? I would have guessed that they got pretty old.:( Not giant tortoise-old, but around human old.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Ytlaya posted:

Wait, you mentioned being 38 in a later post so why do you still care about this? People above the age of like 25 or so who still feel the need to tell people about their achievements pre-college are trying to compensate for something, and I say this as a 31 year old who sometimes feels tempted to do the same thing.

All that being said, depending upon how competitive William and Mary is it's still interesting you didn't get in. From my experience (I had similar grades and slightly better SAT compared with you) my SAT score alone was enough to get admitted to pretty much any non-ivy or ivy-equivalent college (for example getting into NYU or Boston University with a significant scholarship was easy but I didn't get admitted to MIT or Harvard). But once you're talking about top tier colleges it's never guaranteed, with having maxed out grades and a 1500+ SAT (using the old score, dunno how it works now) being a mere prerequisite.

edit: Judging from its current ranking, it's pretty high up there, so I don't think it's that strange that you didn't get in. It's kind of hard to guarantee admittance to any school that's really highly ranked.

Well to be fair, it was a thread about stuff people don't believe, so that's where I was coming from. Yeah so, I understand that it seemed ranty and off-topic when I said it, but it's still (despite my age.. it's something that I'm still a little bitter about, sorry) seems pretty non-sensible and makes people DOUBT the facts that I presented, like the near perfect SAT, well perfect 800 verbal and 710 math, when the average was like 1000 or something (this was 1997), and all my extra-curricular activities, beyond-perfect grades, and I'm fairly certain I had a great essay. I was also asked to skip high-school and go straight to college when I got a 1300-something in 7th grade. So what the gently caress else was I supposed to do? I am about 99% sure that some teacher that hated me intervened or something, because I really don't understand what else I could possibly have done to be accepted to W&M in my own home state. No scholarship, just accepted at all.

I'm not a crazy person, so I'm not MAD anymore. I just occasionally wonder what different paths my life would have taken. I like my life though, so it's not a big deal. Except I probably would have had a shitload more money by now. And a degree from WIlliam and Mary to hang on the wall, instead of George Mason. BIG WHOOP I guess. Get me a T-shirt :dance:

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

doverhog posted:

If you truly believe this, congratulations, you beat the system, you won.

I honestly don't know if you're making fun of me. Because "I like my life, so it's not a big deal" seems like a pretty good attitude to have. Do you have that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

My personal actions have saved multiple lives.

I was at summer camp and it was back in the 80's and we went on a 4 day hike and like climbed actual mountains and had to hang up our food so bears wouldn't kill us at night, and I was VERY close to falling off a huge cliff because I had a huge backpack on and I tripped, and my friend Joy grabbed my hand and I believe literally saved my life.

What did you do?

• Locked thread