Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

JoelJoel posted:

Yeah, you made those memories up. Memory is fluid and you just pieced poo poo together from stuff you know and your dad verified it like an idiot, further cementing the fake memories. None of your memories are 100 percent accurate and most are very wrong and embellished.

Another very plausible, if not outright likely, explanation is that he heard about the event in question at some point (possibly even from his dad) but later mistakenly believed it was something he directly remembered. If it was from his dad, his dad simply may have forgotten mentioning it.

I have a similar pseudo-memory of falling out of a carriage as a toddler. The event in question actually happened, but chances are I just heard about it from someone and falsely believed it was something I actually remembered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DoggPickle posted:

I know this thread is about being a funny rear end concerning the OP, but screw it, I'm pissed and I want to vent

I had a perfect 800 verbal SAT and 710 math and was a National Scholarship Semifinalist
a 4.2 GPA and no bad dings on my record
I was the #1 seed in our tennis club which was pretty ghetto and I was the best of a bunch of bad tennis players but
Keeper on the soccer team for 2 years
Editor of the school newspaper
Contributing editor to the yearbook
In the best possible school choir for all 4 years which was unheard of, I was the only freshman in the top choir
I ran school photographs and helped do machiney stuff in the labs and science rooms. I was in all AP top classes and aced them

Like WTF William and Mary? Did I have to be the actual reincarnation of Jesus to get in there?

And William and Mary still turned me the gently caress down and I had to go George Mason.

Wait, you mentioned being 38 in a later post so why do you still care about this? People above the age of like 25 or so who still feel the need to tell people about their achievements pre-college are trying to compensate for something, and I say this as a 31 year old who sometimes feels tempted to do the same thing.

All that being said, depending upon how competitive William and Mary is it's still interesting you didn't get in. From my experience (I had similar grades and slightly better SAT compared with you) my SAT score alone was enough to get admitted to pretty much any non-ivy or ivy-equivalent college (for example getting into NYU or Boston University with a significant scholarship was easy but I didn't get admitted to MIT or Harvard). But once you're talking about top tier colleges it's never guaranteed, with having maxed out grades and a 1500+ SAT (using the old score, dunno how it works now) being a mere prerequisite.

edit: Judging from its current ranking, it's pretty high up there, so I don't think it's that strange that you didn't get in. It's kind of hard to guarantee admittance to any school that's really highly ranked.

• Locked thread