Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Pureauthor posted:

The two goofballs in the airship are The Best.

Basically every one of Bravely Defaults lovable psychopaths owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I do like how they established Agnes's character. She had an army of attendants looking after her as the Wind Vestal, but she quickly demonstrates she's able to fend for herself. She even tried to shoo Tiz away rather than put him in danger by accepting his help, but he just won't let go of her so she's stuck for the moment.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Greyarc posted:

There are only two tactics a real warrior needs! Frontal assault, and death by frontal assault!
The voice acting in this game has some truly top-notch moments, and this line here is one of my absolute favorites. This guy is so goddamned stoked :allears:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

What happens if you try to talk to the Adventurer while under fire?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, the airship crew are really selling "comedic recurring antagonists". Dunno if they'll actually pull that off given how willing this game is to collapse the ground from under people.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...
Are you planning on showing off the more obscure cutscenes? You noted that you're carrying over cutscenes for the Event Viewer, so I assume so, but just wanted to check.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Glazius posted:

Yeah, the airship crew are really selling "comedic recurring antagonists". Dunno if they'll actually pull that off given how willing this game is to collapse the ground from under people.

When the earth is crumbling away beneath people's feet I think being on an airship is one of the places that gives you a better chance at longevity.

That or some kind of sky temple.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Elite posted:

When the earth is crumbling away beneath people's feet I think being on an airship is one of the places that gives you a better chance at longevity.

That or some kind of sky temple.

Till you run out of fuel that is.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Dartonus posted:

Are you planning on showing off the more obscure cutscenes? You noted that you're carrying over cutscenes for the Event Viewer, so I assume so, but just wanted to check.

Showing off the writing is my top priority, so yes. Still hashing out the details of when I'll post what, though. Since some cutscenes virtually require starting a second third game, it's taking some planning.

Glazius posted:

RIP Til, it never pays to be the relative of a JRPG protagonist.

Xander77 posted:

What happens if you try to talk to the Adventurer while under fire?

Adventurer is a living save point, so he's usually oblivious to plot and gameplay.

Greyarc fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 6, 2017

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Till you run out of fuel that is.

Still gives you the edge over the place you last refuelled from.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

DoubleNegative posted:

Hell yeah, a Bravely Default thread. I'm definitely gonna be following this thread, because this game is pretty good. Except when it's not, but even then it's still rad.

Agreed. I'm probably one of the few that liked Second more, but more on that topic when we get to that LP.

Hopefully there is a Bravely Second LP. :ohdear:

I hope getting all of the cutscenes doesn't wear you out, OP. It took me about six or so runs through the game to unlock all of then,m, and by that point I didn't even want to look at the game anymore.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Agreed. I'm probably one of the few that liked Second more, but more on that topic when we get to that LP.

I hope getting all of the cutscenes doesn't wear you out, OP. It took me about six or so runs through the game to unlock all of then,m, and by that point I didn't even want to look at the game anymore.

I haven't actually played Bravely Second.

As for getting cutscenes, having story to analyze/criticize is about the best bait I could have for myself. I have Strong Feelings on this game which likely haven't come through because I don't want my commentary to drown out the game itself.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I may try my hand at a Bravely Second LP after this one concludes if Greyarc doesn't do one, I'm currently trying to finish its journal and event viewer.

Dartonus fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 7, 2017

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Greyarc posted:

I haven't actually played Bravely Second.

It's a pretty decent sequel. The story is a bit weaker IMO, but it's not horrible by any stretch.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Entry 6: Tiz Finds the Plot

Yes, lovely. Though I'll grant the boy does handle himself well. I'm less bored than I was a moment ago.

On my way, ma'am!

After another quick fight, Tiz and Agnès keep running.

Whaaat!? We're spent? Already?

Hmph. Isn't that always the way when you're all passion and no finesse...? The great Barras Lehr, quickest cannon in Eternia.

The writers/translators must've done this entire segment with a permanent eyebrow waggle.

Ha ha ha ha! The two deadliest guns ever made are still right here! Where steel fails, muscle never falters!

Yessir!

Third time is not the charm for these fellows.

The second type of Sky Knight fought here. Poison doesn't wear off after combat, so having an antidote or two is handy.

Like our airship? You're the only one who can steer this boat, you dumb ox.

Holly Whyte! Must you dash all of my dreams!? ...Fine, you go get her, then.

Me? Go crawling down in the dirt like a filthy henchman? In these white robes? Please.

All of my dreams, Holly Whyte.

As soon as the duo leave, a new feature is introduced. For those familiar with Tales games, these are basically skits. For non-Tales players, these are short optional cutscenes between party members using minimal animations. I'll show these off as soon as they pop up.

Are you alright? Are you hurt?

They were clearly after me. Why did you not run?

Er, it didn't cross my mind I guess... I was a little distracted. But more importantly, are you hurt?

...I am fine.

You...you have my thanks. But they will be back for me. I'm certain of it. For your own sake, it is best our paths diverged here.

But...there's only one road back to town.

Agnès zips offscreen.

Technically, she's still in our party. But for plot's sake she ran off towards the ravine entrance. Tiz runs after her.

Agnès... Agnès Oblige.

Ahh! A miniature monster!

Augh, rude! I am not a miniature monster! I am a cryst-fairy!

Fire, water, wind, earth. Four crystals. Four pillars of the world.

Vestal of wind?

Priestess, bride, and servant to the crystals. A weaver of prayers who ensures their eternal glow. The vestals' rites purify the crystals, warding the world from natural disaster.

The crystals reveal the way to the vestals, and the vestals pass that on to the people. They guide the world.

And what purpose should bring a vestal here?

A week prior, at the same time the ground parted here, the Crystal of Wind was consumed by an unnatural darkness.

The crystals are the source of all life and all energy in the world. Our lands, our seas, and all that inhabit them exist through the crystals' bounty. They sustain us. But a foul corruption has overtaken them. The wind lies still, and the oceans rot. Fire runs wild, and the earth, well...

I had to see the chasm for myself.

What is it? What caused the ground to fall?

...I do not know. But I do know how to unmake it and stop the coming dark. I must hurry back to Ancheim.

Pause.

Maybe Tiz was taking a minute to soak all that in. But we aren't done yet.

Hear me out. This isn't the place to go charging on alone. The crags are dark even by day. It's always been a nest for monsters.

Airy, are you truly certain this boy is the miracle bringer?

Absolutely! Right time, right place; he's your miracle man. I'd bet my wings on it!

He saved your life, didn't he? Just like my prediction said he would!

I'd call that pretty darn miraculous.

Yes, but... Er...Mr. Tiz, was it?

Just Tiz is fine.

Tiz, then. Was it you that my prayer reached?

I don't know about "reached," but I heard you say it, anyway.

He's the sole survivor of a village swallowed up whole. How much more miracle do you need?

That was no miracle... There was nothing miraculous about it...!

My family is gone. All my friends. Everyone... That was no miracle...

A short ways further down the ravine:

I will do what only I am able: purify the crystals and release them from the darkness. Once this blight has been purged from all four of the world's crystals, order will be restored.

Vestals have been pouring their prayers into the crystals for generations. Agnès is going to release all that at once!

Agnès, please. Let me help you.

...My task is not your concern.

It is my concern. The chasm, it just swallowed up my village. My family. My friends. I lived the same routine all my life, and that was just stolen from me in an instant.

Please. You're... You're a light. My ray of hope! And I want to help.

...I cannot accept. This burden is mine alone, and alone is how I'll see it done.

But why? Please!

I shall see you back to the city, and there our paths will part. You are not meant to carry this load.

(if a party chat screenshot has that plain papery background, I'm pulling it from the event viewer, not mid-game)

......I truly appreciate your desire to help. But...

Do you intend to just leave your village like this?

No! Of course not.

I'll rebuild it, someday.

I am wanted by the duchy.

Eternian assassins may lurk in any shadow, at any time. What's more, I must leave this place at once to purify the crystals. If something were to befall you, who would be left to put your village to rights again?

I'll rebuild it... I will. You don't have to tell me I'm the only one who can.

Then surely it's best you stayed and--

But Norende will never be whole again until that chasm is gone. And here I meet you, the one person who knows how to make that happen. It seems the obvious thing to do is help you, keep you safe, and solve this thing together.

Yes, but how do you propose--

I don't know yet. First, the king needs to know what's happened.

After hashing all that out, the party exits the cave.

Ah, this? It was given to me by someone...special. It's something of a lucky charm.

That pendant's shown up quite prominently before.

Now that we have the fairy Airy with us, she occupies the lower half of the menu screen, letting us know about the next story objective.

The four-gem contraption in the center is connected to Airy as well, though there's no explanation for it yet.

Airy's on the touchscreen, so a nice addition is that she turns to look towards your touch.

Let's head into Caldisla during nighttime.

There are no townspeople out, but the city does look very warm and welcoming.

But let's check back during daytime.

The ladykiller from the opening movie is stranger than ever. He obviously knows more than he's letting on, but for now he doesn't have much interest in us.

If we were stronger, the captain would be free to go fight the Eternians off...

There's only one competent soldier in the entire kingdom. This doesn't seem safe.

Next: Agnès makes a tough decision and Norende is a realm reborn.

--

Event Viewer
Main Scenario:
The Sky Knights: Second Wave
The Sky Knights: Third Wave
The Sky Knights Withdraw
The Vestal's Quest
Unmaking the Chasm
A Lovely Pendant

Party Chat:
A Common Destination
The Miracle Man
Rebuilding a Village

quote:

pg.2: A 24-year-old man from Caldisla. The only son of Karl the innkeep, as a boy he longed to become a royal guard out of love for his country. He performed many great services, demonstrating his unmatched valor, and he is now captain of the guard.
--------------------------------
Dislikes: Ghosts

quote:

Kingdom of Caldisla:
The kingdom's capital is located on the south part of the continent where the Caldis River empties into the Sea of Corsairs. It has long been blessed with many thriving fish ports, and in recent years, it has become an important stop on booming sea trade routes.

pg.3: Caldisla Palace: The palace was once a strong hilltop fortress until a Caldislan king unified the kingdom nine generations ago. Through a peaceful medieval period in which the kingdom was protected by the sea in all directions, most of it evolved into a bustling merchant town, leaving only a palace and a small barracks where the fortress once stood.

pg.4: Inn: Located in the town of Caldisla at the bottom of a major street, this inn is a favorite of traveling merchants for its fair prices and courteous service. The royal family even recognizes it as a "Blue Tile," a designation given only to the finest establishments in town. The seasonal seafood cuisine prepared by the inn's proprietor is superb.

Greyarc fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 24, 2017

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
One thing about this game that leaves me both impressed and a little frustrated: There's an encyclopedia page for everything in this game. EVERYTHING.

Having said that, I'm actually still playing right now because I got a bit turned off after a certain very confusing part that I'm sure most veterans of the game are aware of. Here's hoping you can establish some semblance of sense from that particular headache.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Greyarc posted:

That pendant's shown up quite prominently before.

The intro AR movie is disturbing and confusing as hell, for a lot of reasons. It's the first time the player ever sees Agnes, and she's wearing the same clothes she's dressed in for the following cutscene in which the Wind Crystal gets hosed up.

The AR movie can be interpreted to represent Agnes's prayers to the crystal during its final moments, trying to call it back from the brink, which makes it particularly bothersome that she knows all her attendants are injured and dying at that very moment. :smith:

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Heard a fair few things about Bravely Default, so I'll be following the LP. Probably lurking more than posting, though.

Just wanted to say that I didn't realize they had punny names until after "Holly Whyte" as a White Mage. That's gonna be a recurring thing, isn't it? :v:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Oh my God are you doing this solely through the 3DS screenshot function? Godspeed.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

BlackPersona posted:

Heard a fair few things about Bravely Default, so I'll be following the LP. Probably lurking more than posting, though.

Just wanted to say that I didn't realize they had punny names until after "Holly Whyte" as a White Mage. That's gonna be a recurring thing, isn't it? :v:

You have NO idea just how bad it's going to get. :v:

Holly Whyte -> Holy White
Barras Lehr -> Bear Wrestler
Tiz Arrior -> This Warrior

Even some of the names that aren't direct puns are punny, like Agnes Oblige feeling "obliged" to do her thing as she said above. Off the cuff, I'd say a good half the names in the game are puns of some sort.

Greyarc posted:

The writers/translators must've done this entire segment with a permanent eyebrow waggle.

This really surprised me when I first played - I was not expecting innuendo that strong out of a Nintendo game. I guess I'm still used to the "CENSOR ALL THE MAYBE OBJECTIONABLE THINGS" mindset that they (apparently?) used to have, like the parrot in Skies of Arcadia: Legends losing the cigar and all the pirates drinking magic stone juice instead of rum.

YggiDee posted:

Oh my God are you doing this solely through the 3DS screenshot function? Godspeed.

If this is true, this makes me cry a little. I still hate the 3DS screenshot function, if only because my SD card slot is a bit dodgy and I hate removing the drat thing. I can't imagine having to do an entire LP like that.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

This really surprised me when I first played - I was not expecting innuendo that strong out of a Nintendo game. I guess I'm still used to the "CENSOR ALL THE MAYBE OBJECTIONABLE THINGS" mindset that they (apparently?) used to have, like the parrot in Skies of Arcadia: Legends losing the cigar and all the pirates drinking magic stone juice instead of rum.

One of the best moments in Earthbound was Everdred's death scene, which straight up made fun of all the censorship being enforced.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

One of the best moments in Earthbound was Everdred's death scene, which straight up made fun of all the censorship being enforced.

During those scenes I mostly got humor out of the whole "oh no i am dying but would you like me to tell you my story again" bit.

I should note that I know they used to censor the poo poo out of a lot of things - I just don't know how heavily they're doing it nowadays. From having playing Bravely Default (and Bravely Second, for that matter,) my feeling is "nowhere near as much" :v:

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

I should note that I know they used to censor the poo poo out of a lot of things - I just don't know how heavily they're doing it nowadays. From having playing Bravely Default (and Bravely Second, for that matter,) my feeling is "nowhere near as much" :v:

I think I'd call it "the minimum necessary to ensure product success", these days; the only people complaining about it are gigantic man-children, at any rate. Like, I'm pretty sure Nintendo'd get sued if they didn't censor the lolis in the games they localize.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
they removed her vagina bones

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Alternatively, "bare" wrestler, given that he doesn't use any weapons aside from his own fists?

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Alternatively, "bare" wrestler, given that he doesn't use any weapons aside from his own fists?

I've seen that one, but I greatly prefer "bear" to "bare" here. I can totally imagine Barras yelling "HEY COME CHALLENGE ME YOU WEAKLING" and tackling a bear that's just walking by and minding its own business.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well now I'm imagining Barras wrestling the Ogre Bear from 4HoL.

Also, here are some of the best songs up to this point.

(Main Theme) [Also plays (starting from 0:32) when you get new job classes.]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvoPB7YlkcM

(Caldisla)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkR26wkXGlQ

(World Map)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgpWhd80ldQ

(Random Battles)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfQ0zm065h0

(Dungeon Theme #1) (Arguably the best one.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GmAeOFDKoE

(Here come the Villains!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwjb6hDOR00

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Even some of the names that aren't direct puns are punny, like Agnes Oblige

Are you sure about that? :v: (Wikipedia link)

Toss me in with the group that's heard a lot about this game but never played it, so I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye on the LP.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Wayne posted:

Are you sure about that? :v: (Wikipedia link)

Toss me in with the group that's heard a lot about this game but never played it, so I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye on the LP.

Huh, fair enough. And according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnes_%28name%29, "Agnes" comes from a word for "Holy." So I guess it is one of the punny names. :v:

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Oh yes, Bravely Default! Probably one of my favourite RPGs for the 3DS and one I've actually managed to fully complete outside of the Cutscene Viewer.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Holly Whyte -> Holy White
Tiz Arrior -> This Warrior

:arghfist::saddowns: I didn't notice THAT one!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It used to be any religious content (I wonder why we didn't get SMT games on the SNES), references to alcohol or drugs (hence everybody in FF6 and CT drinking "cider" and all the drugstores in Earthbound becoming "shops"), sexual references/innuendo, and graphic violence. Now they pretty much only censor sexual content, and only in games they localize; it used to be that in order to get the license to release a game on Nintendo consoles in the USA, you had to conform to these guidelines. They're getting better, if slowly.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

BlackPersona posted:

:arghfist::saddowns: I didn't notice THAT one!

It's one of those things where once you see the first one, you can't help but look for it in other names. One of the best ones waits 'til towards the endgame, too - I'll try to mention it when it's relevant and decipherable.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

theshim posted:

they removed her vagina bones

Lucky I looked at the Tokyo Mirage Sessions thread or I'd be incredibly confused. Ugh, I forgot about the outfits debacle for this game. More like I must've forced it out of my mind...

If it gets out of hand, I will stick in a rule limiting censorship talk. The topic of censorship's interesting, but keep it casual and don't be a creep, folks.

Greyarc fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 7, 2017

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Greyarc posted:

Lucky I looked at the Tokyo Mirage Sessions thread or I'd be incredibly confused. Ugh, I forgot about the outfits debacle for this game. More like I must've forced it out of my mind...

If it gets out of hand, I will stick in a rule limiting censorship talk. The topic of censorship's interesting, but keep it casual and don't be a creep, folks.

Huh - I thought "vagina bones" was just a :pervert: non-sequitur until you said something there. Apparently (after looking them up,) they refer to the creases (the 'V') where the hips meet the lower torso. Considering "bones" is an animation term, I can see how the term came about - anatomically incorrect as it is. :v:

It's honestly one of those things that I just chalked up to the cartoony style of the characters - it'd almost look wrong to have them. :shrug:

There's only one place (IMO) where the censorship of the game is jarring to me, but I'll mention it when it comes up.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's always great when you meet someone who becomes a UI element.

I suppose really only a dual-screen system could reasonably pull that off though.

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also, here are some of the best songs up to this point.

Also known as "basically every song we've seen so far" :v:

This has what's probably my favorite soundtrack of any game released in at least the past decade. Around the time of its release in Japan, Revo performed an arena-sized concert to promote the game which included special guests Motoi Sakuraba (Star Ocean, Tales, Golden Sun, etc) and Marty Friedman (Megadeth). A video of it hit Youtube, and that alone sold me on this game. The full concert is no longer up due to copyright claims, but you can still find bits and pieces. Some of the songs hint heavily at future plot/characters, so be aware of that if you go looking.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
That ladykiller in the town and intro cutscene that is clearly going to join the party is the best character in the game

it's not even close

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Blind Duke posted:

That ladykiller in the town and intro cutscene that is clearly going to join the party is the best character in the game

it's not even close

There's at least one better character. :colbert:

Although I think it is close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Every character is the best character. :colbert: