Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Xander77 posted:

I assumed those two were going to be comic relief villains for the rest of the game. Interesting change.
Nope, they straight-up murder self-defense them to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Sadly, Agnes didn't see to it that the beatings weren't fatal.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Monk Tiz, White Mage Agnes. It makes sense given their specific personalities.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Anges should be our monk.

Because the peace loving vestal should be the one to punch things to death via frontal assault!

:agreed:

If you don't immediately switch the frail waifs into the physical jobs in these kind of games I don't know what to tell you. Physical powerhouse Kryle for life.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

I'm playing in advance to keep up a buffer, so the deciding's already done, but Agnès monk may be a thing, yes.

Speed randomization puts a serious dent in planning turns with no fun upside. It's especially a shame in this game, because the battle system's otherwise designed exactly to carry out elaborate, perfectly synchronized strategies.

Greyarc fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 15, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Oh awesome, a Bravely Default LP. I've never played it myself, but after listening to some of the songs on Youtube I tracked down an LP of it there and watched it. Definitely a fun watch, and I understand not being able to do video, although it is a shame since the music and voice acting is top-notch.

I also found it refreshing that the villains in the game will in fact die when defeated in battle instead of just running away or being allowed to run away.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Agnes' thirst for blood is beyond all comprehension.

Blood for the blood god wind crystal blood god.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I know job breakdowns will come later, but the Monk is notable for having the highest base HP in the game. At the level cap you are just shy of 9999 health. With some stuff you get later on to boost your health and subsequently double it you can have more health than these two first bosses

being able to tank multiple hits at the damage cap is rather cool in a JRPG like this

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Entry 9: Pyromania and Social Oddballs

Not yet, Airy.

Welcome to Bravely Default: Let's Learn Jobs.

As mentioned earlier, jobs make up the bulk of the gameplay. A character's job determines their stats, their equipment proficiencies, and the abilities they can use. There are 24 jobs available in this game. When leveled with JP (job points), jobs reach their max at level 14. Because a new ability is learned every job level, this means each job has 14 abilities to learn, and there are 336 abilities total.

Abilities fall into two categories. Let's call them skill and support.

Skills are abilities usable during combat as an alternative to the Attack command. Skills are tied to their parent job -- characters must be using the job to have access to its skill abilities.

Supports are abilities which give passive effects during combat or on the field. Supports are not tied to their parent job. Instead, they must be equipped. Their limitation is in equipment cost. They can be equipped and unequipped at will from the menu, but the cost of the total amount equipped can never exceed the character's limit. This will be shown in detail later.

Let's move on to what we can mess with currently.

We can now pick between three jobs: Freelancer, Monk, and White Mage.

Tiz will stay freelancer, but Agnès will change to monk so she can protect herself against kidnappers and assassins.

After picking a job, next up to tinker with is the ability menu. There are two manipulable items here: Job Command and Support Abilities.

Job Command allows the use of a second job's skills in addition to the character's current job.

By selecting Freelancer as her Job Command...

Agnès becomes a monk who is able to use the Freelancer skill abilities Examine and Treat. Note that Job Command abilities are still limited to what you've learned while playing the job as your primary class, so no using top level white magic unless that character's leveled White Mage.

Even the few levels and jobs available so far give some versatility. Tiz the Freelancer can now use basic white magic.

And that'll do for the moment. Support Abilities deals with... support abilities, and will be explained in a few updates once there's something worthwhile to show off.

Time to head back to Caldisla and announce the good news.

One brief stop on the way to the castle to pick up all the white magic they offer. You only have to buy each spell once for it to be learned by everyone, however like other job skill abilities, it can't be used unless you're the appropriate job or have it set as Job Command, and have gained the ability to use magic of that level. White Magic Level 1 is White Mage's level 1 ability, so all three spells here are usable right away.

The king is so excitable. :allears:

Has there been any word of where the ship has gone, Your Highness?

What have you heard from your men, Owen?

Lontano Villa... Then that's where we're headed.

I'm afraid you'll not get there now. The bridge they shot out is still in ruins.

We'll mount a full-scale offensive the moment it's repaired. For now, we must be patient. Go and rest.

I'm not sure the airship disappearing is a good thing.

Their ship has left, for now. You have my thanks, Tiz. We shall do our part as well!

The kingdom is significantly cheerier now that they don't have cannons pointed at them.

As Tiz and Agnès walk away from the throne...

Hm? Oh, ah...

I've just never before walked through such a lively city as this...

Oh, really?

I don't suppose it's anything special for you... You grew up here. But to me, this is all--

Actually... Me, too.

I'm sorry?

I grew up in Norende. Norende has...sheep. And grass. Nothing like this...

It's kind of overwhelming, to be honest.

So I think I can relate pretty well, actually.

Oh... Oh, I see. Well, yes, then.

What parts jump out at you the most? What's the strangest?

Hmm, well... The number of people, and buildings. And the fact that they all seem so tranquil astounds me. The seas are rotted, the duchy has invaded, and still...

I suppose it's a testament to their faith in the king's rule.

A far cry from the kingdom I left...

Hm?

Ah! I'd nearly forgotten!

Owen informed me just before we left. Apparently the innkeep is preparing a special feast for us this evening. Best we did not keep him waiting.

Ooh, right!

Taking one last look back before we exit, the throne room is emptier than before. Maybe most of the guard's out celebrating.

A shepherd and a nun had more success than trained soldiers. JRPGs.

So, next...

...we, uh...

All right, to the inn. The party settles in for a good night's sleep.

*inn music plays*

Something's wrong outside.

Wait, is that...?

And you'd best be quick... F-f-fire spreads so easily! Heh heh heh heh!

A fellow we haven't seen before.

And someone we have. The swordsman-in-training from the opening movie.

You're under my c-command now. You'll f-f-follow my orders!

But sir!

Eee hee hee heh heh! Burn, BURN! We can s-sift the vestal's ashes out from the rest!

Black pointy hat, black robe, pyromaniac... hm.

Looking for me. If I go, they'll stop this madness.

Karl is brave, considering the fire is just next door to his inn.

If the whole city's c-c-complicit, the whole city can burn. Just watch. My f-ff...FIRE will have this place charred black by morning.

Black Mage Ominas Crowe!

...What now?

We've sent these people a clear message. It's time to withdraw.

Eep! F-f-fine... Bully. Women always are.

And every night until you g-g-give up the girl!

The soldiers run off. Black Mage, huh? And we've finally seen the fourth person from the opening, though she doesn't seem too happy.

The next morning:

The spellcaster was one of their officers. He's holed up in the ruins of Centro Keep, north of the city.

The hostilities will end once I step forward.

Tiz Arrior, eternal optimist. Then again, they've taken down one group of Eternian soldiers. Why not another?

Wait, that goofy yet suave voice...

Mr. Amnesia... Is that foreign?

I mean the boy has no memories. He just turned up in town a week ago, no clue who he was.

I'm fine, though I thank you for your gracious concern. More to the point, you two are Tiz and Agnès, yes?

...!! But why...? I don't recall giving you my name, sir.

It was written in this journal. The only thing I had on me when I was found, apparently.

Full of strange things, this book. Like word of your aims to plug up that great sinkhole.

What?

What's more--and this part is key--the journal states that you two will encounter a certain female. If my suspicions are correct, it's the girl who was accompanying that Eternian firestarter.

Pardon my asking, but how do you tie in?

It appears you make for the Centro Ruins, no? Then bring me along.

That girl tugs at my mind. Oh, we've met before.

Ahh, my heart races! I insist you let me join you. It simply must be so.

What!? Why? This is an upstanding gentleman's heartfelt plea! I'll not slow you down...

I cannot trust a man such as yourself. My answer is no, sir.

Still, in a fight, three people are better than two...

His personality leaves a bit to be desired, but I'll vouch for the man's skill. He once helped us hunt down a wild boar.

...... If you're certain he'll not pose a problem, Tiz.

Lovely.

Do you remember your name?

No, thank you.

Ladykiller has become party member number three. He's carrying a new weapon.

Very appropriate. Tiz and Agnès, however, are focused on other things.

Sure. What's on your mind?

That Ringabel fellow. I'm just not... Are we truly certain...?

True, he doesn't seem like the most dependable guy. Nice enough, though...

That isn't my point! He knew our names, Tiz. Before we'd ever spoken.

Right. He said they were in that book of his or somesuch.

Our names alone is troubling enough... But he knew I was the vestal as well!

What!?

Hmmm, now that you mention it, he knew we were out to seal the chasm, too.

I'd noticed him mumbling strange things in the streets ever since I arrived.

Eep!

Er... Mr. Ringabel.

Please. No need for formality.

Would you tell us how you knew Agnès was the vestal of wind?

Hm? Oh, that.

All written in this journal, my good man. Simple as that.

And would you mind if I had a look at this journal?

By all means. Turn it over and shake it, if you like. See what falls out.

And what is your tie to the girl traveling with that pyromancer?

I'm to save her, apparently. Don't ask me how or why. I just know.

Save her? You realize our errand at the Centro Ruins is to put an end to the firestarter's threats, yes?

Quite. And I understand the girl may have something to say about it.

In any case, I'm confident I won't be a burden. And I certainly have no intent of stopping you, if that's a concern. Why don't you hold onto the journal for now? Investigate it to your satisfaction.

And, once satisfied, I hope you'll choose to place your trust in me.

Well, I...I suppose we'll see.

Next update, we'll all see: D's Journal.

--

Event Viewer
Main Scenario:
Victory Report
Put to the Flame
The Black Mage Withdraws
Mr. Amnesia

Party Chat:
Two Bumpkins
A Man of Mysteries

D's Journal: Ruins of Centro Keep posted:

These ruins located along the main road stretching north from the Caldislan castle were once considered a vital strategic point between the northern and southern regions, but they were abandoned after being rendered obsolete by the unification of the kingdom.

pg.2: Eternia's Forward Encampment: Mere months after the Knights of the Eternian Sky landed in northern Caldisla, ground forces led by the black mage Ominas Crowe occupied Centro Keep, using it as a forward encampment from which to strike the town of Caldisla. With the bridge over the Caldis River taken out in the Eternian attack, little has been done to repel the invasion.

Greyarc fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 24, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That random seductive Airy pose. :allears:

I also love how Ringabel has a book full of spoilers.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I also love how Ringabel has a book full of spoilers.

It is quite fun how he has a literal book of spoilers, though most of them won't turn up until needed if I recall. I believe in gameplay, it's mostly a reminder of where to go, story details that have happened, etc. Though the first thing is kinda unneeded since we have our own netnavi, annoying fairy, AIRY to tell us where to go off to next. Granted, it's been a while since I picked up the game. Also, there WAS a demo that gave you full on head-start early on, though mostly consumables...and getting all of them was a -pain- and took a few sessions to 100%, was also kinda-sorta but not really, a spoiler for the early game.

Kemix fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 16, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The one of the few things I know about the demo is that it wasn't written by the writers of the game from all indication (unlike Bravely Second's), meaning the characters spoke very oddly and even acknowledged that they were in a game. I never played it, though, since BD was already out by the time I knew about it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The Bravely Default demo was just a bunch of fetch quests. It was really more to demonstrate the battle system. I don't think it had something of a plot, unlike Bravely Second's demo.

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

Hello, best of the main characters.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I love how Agnes' immediate reply to Ringabel is 'Unacceptable!'

I laughed at him.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
D's Journal is awesome and I'm curious as to how it'll be presented in this LP.

As one other note, are we going to talk about job specialties? They're often the one thing about a job that you have to switch to that job in order to take advantage of, like the Freelancer's Late Bloomer specialty.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
Can I just say that Ringabel's name theme is so absolutely horrible that I hadn't even realized it until after the whole theme naming thing was brought up earlier in the thread.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Well he does say it's in poor taste in the intro movie.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

So does changing jobs have an immediate effect on stats? Like, if I have Tiz in white mage for 20 levels and then decide to turn him into a monk, will he gain at least some physical attack to improve his punching ability? Or would he be stuck with a mage's noodle arms for a few levels?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's kinda like Final Fantasy III where switching to a new job is detrimental since your stats take a dive as a result. Though unlike Final Fantasy III, this is only true if you switch to a job that is low leveled or not leveled at all.

Bravely Second omitted that entirely, fortunately.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Greyarc posted:

Black pointy hat, black robe, pyromaniac... hm.

He's clearly the bearer of the paladin/magiknight/however we're localizing it this game job, right? :downs:

Cador_2004 posted:

Can I just say that Ringabel's name theme is so absolutely horrible that I hadn't even realized it until after the whole theme naming thing was brought up earlier in the thread.

To be fair though, it is perfectly Ringabel to choose a punny name playing on his amnesia until those memories come back.

serefin99 posted:

So does changing jobs have an immediate effect on stats? Like, if I have Tiz in white mage for 20 levels and then decide to turn him into a monk, will he gain at least some physical attack to improve his punching ability? Or would he be stuck with a mage's noodle arms for a few levels?

Depends on the specifics of the game. In Final Fantasy V, jobs impose a modifier on unchanging base stats, so a lvl 50 Lenna in the monk job is a lvl 50 Lenna in the monk job, even if she did the last 49 lvl ups in say blue mage or summoner.
In FF tactics, jobs both imposed a modifier on stats AND affected stat growth, so a white mage switching to monk would have somewhat noodlier arms that the guy who stayed monk all the time. Not by much though.

This game feels more 5 than tactics though.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Changing jobs has an immediate effect on stats, yes. If you swap from Level Awesome White Mage to Level poo poo Monk, you're going to be better at punching than a Level Awesome White Mage just by virtue of being a monk, but your job level is still going to be crap. Any other jobs and what levels they may or may not have do not impact your character's stats at all.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The changes jobs make to stats are immediate. Jobs also increase your character's stats by 1% per job level, as well as affecting other factors like damage output. The latter effect was removed in Bravely Second.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

This right here is what sold me on this game being amazing :allears:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Aces High posted:

This right here is what sold me on this game being amazing :allears:
What's happening in that screenshot?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Edea's catchphrase.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk_QyPykxZA

It's incredibly goofy

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Xander77 posted:

What's happening in that screenshot?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Edea's catchphrase.

Edea's way of showing she's ready to boil over.

Usually what follows is violence, if Edea doesn't get her way. Usually.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

serefin99 posted:

Jobs modify base stats, and have no effect on stat growth. AFAIK, Tiz's base stats will be the same at any level no matter what jobs you've had him in for how many levels. As your job levels increase, so do your modified stats, as well as some tangentially-related things like hit count in battle. Switching from a higher-leveled job to a lower-leveled one, even if they do the same general thing, will cause a noticeable drop in power, partly due to reduced stats, but mostly because your attacks are connecting less.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Phon posted:

Hello, best of the main characters.

Cador_2004 posted:

Indeed. To both. :allears:

It's amazing how many things in that journal... ring a bell when you're playing through the game. :v:

And then there's Ominas Crowe, being all evil and black mage-y. Not really all that ominous, but crows are black.

And of course, I think I forgot to mention Airy, who is the Cryst-Fairy following... the Vestal of Wind.

... I really do love puns more than I should. :downsgun:

tell me if I should stop explaining the puns please

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think the final playable character's punny name is the best, because she has an entire family to work off of. Also, Ringabel's actual name is pretty good.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Eternia-lady's catchphrase is hilarious mostly because of the acting. "Mrgrgr" is just some onomatopoeic grumbling, but the english VA reads it exactly as written, very clearly and carefully pronouncing every syllable. Murrrrr gurrr gurrrrr.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

As one other note, are we going to talk about job specialties? They're often the one thing about a job that you have to switch to that job in order to take advantage of, like the Freelancer's Late Bloomer specialty.

Yes. The job system is complex enough I don't want to cover everything in one go, is all.

Commander Keene posted:

Also, Ringabel's actual name is pretty good.

Let's just leave it at 'Ringabel' for now.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Greyarc posted:

Yes. The job system is complex enough I don't want to cover everything in one go, is all.

I must agree. It's got plenty going for it. It's got enough to give you freedom to use what you really want, without giving TOO much freedom to the point the game's difficulty is shattered to hell and back over your knee. Specially when you get late game and can basically make next to infinite money with a certain combo. It's really nice to see.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Or, rather, the game can still put up a fight even with most of the ludicrously OP shenanigans you're capable of pulling off. Seriously, half of the stuff you can do in this game, even without much optimization, would smash the difficulty curve of most other RPGs into thousands of unrecognizable pieces.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Do you ever have to grind job levels to get past something?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

ultrafilter posted:

Do you ever have to grind job levels to get past something?

Optional boss fights.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

Or, rather, the game can still put up a fight even with most of the ludicrously OP shenanigans you're capable of pulling off. Seriously, half of the stuff you can do in this game, even without much optimization, would smash the difficulty curve of most other RPGs into thousands of unrecognizable pieces.

This is quite true. On my save, everybody is character level 99 with job level 15 in relevant jobs, because I had an auto-battle set up that let me wipe out valuable enemies in one turn (using things we'll not be seeing for quite some time). Since I could put it on autobattle, crank up the encounter rate, and just sort of spin the circle pad and go around curbstomping random encounters, I did exactly that while I watched some TV. I wasn't keeping track of what I was doing beyond the occasional save so oops I'm level 99 with all of the money ever.

Even with that, you can't just brute force you way through boss fights. It lets you get away with being a lot sloppier, but you do need to think.

On an unrelated note, something that hasn't come up yet is that you can do more than just adjust the encounter rate. You can also turn on or off if you gain XP, JP, and money! Presumably this is in case you want to do a low level run, or if you're thinking "well I'd like to buy that sweet new weapon without being Level Absurd when I roll into the boss." Obviously I didn't use this but I probably should have. :v:

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Imagine the king is voice acted by Santa Claus and your mind will perfectly match the audio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Are jobs limited, or can three people hot-swap an asterisk?