Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Glazius posted:

Are jobs limited, or can three people hot-swap an asterisk?

If you really wanted, I THINK you can have 4 white mages and reenact FF1's "Four White Mage" challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Tiz, Agnes, and Ringabel can all be Monks or White Mages right now, if that's what you mean. There's no limit to the number of people who can use a job.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

D's Journal: Overview

Today we're taking a break from the regular game to look into D's Journal. The journal is essentially this game's encyclopedia, though with more flavor than usual and an actual tie to the plot.

This will be in two parts due to Enigmatic Writings.

The journal is accessible via the side menu, below Norende.

Starting from the top:
  • Enigmatic Writings is exactly as described.
  • Notes has entries on the people, locations, and terms the party has encountered.
  • Encyclopedia contains listings for items found, enemies fought, and combat bonuses gained.
  • Help has previously viewed tutorials.
  • Job Descriptions gives a brief run-down of obtained jobs.
  • Event Viewer allows any cutscene, party chat, or movie obtained to be watched again.
I'm not covering Help and Job Descriptions will be included on Job pages. As mentioned at the start, Event Viewer carried over with New Game+, so it's full of spoilers. No peeking. :colbert:

The item, enemy, character, location, and term pages shown so far have come from D's Journal. Everything not yet covered but currently in D's Journal will be shown below.

People:

D's Journal: Ringabel posted:

pg.2: A man of unknown age, currently experiencing amnesia. Clearly a man of high morals. Taciturn and reflective, I believe I am a gentleman well-liked by all.
--------------------------------
Dislikes: Sweet things

pg.3: Who am I? I've been asking around town the past few days, but I am met by blank stares or laughter. Women simply turn tail with furrowed brow. Why am I here? At night I visit this cottage. I feel a sense of nostalgia here. I wonder about that gaunt man, and the girl glaring at him with daggers in her eyes...

pg.4: Agnès is the wind vestal. I never heard that from anyone. I seem to have known it for a long time. I've seen her around town in the company of Tiz the past few days. According to this journal, they are about to set off on an epic journey to close the Great Chasm. Once they reach the black mage's keep, they are sure to run into that girl. I must see her...

D's Journal: Tiz Arrior posted:

pg.2: A nineteen-year-old boy from Norende. A simple and honest soul, he has a gentle and amiable demeanor that makes him well-liked. He acts as a mediator between friends, and often ends up with a lot on his plate (for which I am partially responsible).
Dislikes: Guady baubles, crowds

pg.3: Hearing that the Eternian Sky Knights planned to attack the town unless they handed over the vestal, Agnès secretly decided to give herself up to save the people. Tiz sensed Agnès's resolve, and offered to accompany her as a guide. He managed to keep her safe, and defeated the monk and white mage!

pg.4: I asked to accompany the Wind Vestal to the ruins of Centro Keep to the north of town, where they intended to confront the black mage Ominas Crowe. When I revealed that their names and purpose were written in my journal, and told them I wished to meet the girl there, the vestal grew suspicious. She would have left me behind if Tiz had not intervened.

D's Journal: Agnès Oblige posted:

pg.2: A twenty-year-old girl from Ancheim. As a vestal, she has devoted her life to the crystals. She escaped the Temple of Wind after it was overrun by dark forces, and came to investigate the Great Chasm. She has absolutely no sense of direction.
Dislikes: Meat, crowds, being lost

pg.3: I asked to accompany Agnès, who was heading to the ruins of Centro Keep to take on arsonist and black mage Ominas Crowe. She grew wary when I spoke of knowing her mission to close the chasm. Her suspicions only increased when I said I wished to meet the girl serving under the black mage. She glared at me as if I had just confessed to some heinous crime...

D's Journal: Airy posted:

pg.2: A female of unknown age. This self-proclaimed cryst-fairy seems to know much about the crystals and the path the vestal should take. With regard to anything else, however, she tends to act like a precocious, fussy crybaby.
Dislikes: Children, Ringabel

Bosses

D's Journal: Barras posted:

D's Journal: Holly posted:

Terms:

D's Journal: Crystals posted:

pg.2: Crystals (Entry 2): There are four crystals in all: fire, water, wind, and earth, each of which continues to grow through the accumulation of energy bestowed by the vestals' prayers. For each of the natural forces they represent, they bring about balance and vitality, and enable all life on Luxendarc to live in peace.

pg.3: Crystals (Entry 3): The moment the Great Chasm appeared in the Norende region of Caldisla, the Wind Crystal was shrouded in darkness and the wind ceased to blow. The other crystals also lost their power, causing the seas to turn putrid, volcanos to erupt with unrelenting fury, and the earth to quake and change its very shape.

D's Journal: The Crystal Orthodoxy posted:

The Crystal Orthodoxy: The Orthodoxy was born of the desire to reform Crystalism, the worship of Luxendarc's four crystals. It was 2,400 years ago that crystal temples across the world, along with their vestals and acolytes, were brought under the Orthodoxy's central control, creating a world religion that would change the course of history.

pg.2: Crystalist Teachings: "Dauntless seeker, offer your prayers unto the crystals. So, too, shall the vestal, in accordance with the teachings."
"Their resplendent light shall cleave a path through darkest night, and banish fear from every shadow."

pg.3: The Orthodoxy's Decline: Though it was once a dominant world religion wielding power surpassing that of even the greatest kings, over time the Crystal Orthodoxy became ever less relevant in the face of cultural and scientific advances. And with the establishment of the Duchy of Eternia fifteen years ago under the banner of Anticrystalism, the Orthodoxy became even more irrelevant, and indeed, even forgotten among the people of most lands, save the few still friendly to the religion.

D's Journal: Vestals posted:

Vestals (Entry 1): Those who bear the name Oblige serve the crystals, offering prayers and recounting their blessings to the faithful. Said to be brides to the crystals, they dedicate their lives to them. The Orthodoxy seeks out candidates at a young age, and those seen as having the requisite qualities are brought to the temple to be raised as vestalings.

pg.2: Vestals (Entry 2): The current vestals initially entered their respective temples as vestalings. Upon the death of a vestal, a new vestal is selected from among them. Each temple also has dozens of acolytes who care for the daily needs of the vestals and together offer their prayers to the crystals.

D's Journal: Duchy of Eternia posted:

Duchy of Eternia: Founded fifteen years ago on the continent of Eternia, west of Caldisla, this new land has placed the crystal there under secular rather than religious control. Under the banner of Anticrystalism, the duchy has used its advanced science and military might in many ways to pressure the lands that still espouse Crystalism.

D's Journal: Anticrystalism posted:

Anticrystalism: Advocated by the Duchy of Eternia, this philosophy holds that humankind should actively utilize the crystals, rather than relegating them to useless objects of worship or treating them as religious and doctrinal crutches upon which society is dependent. It brands the Crystal Orthodoxy as a heretic faith, and the vestals its minions. Some adherents even suspect the Great Chasm was the vestals' doing.

D's Journal: Airships posted:

Skystones: This special kind of stone, first discovered under the Orthodoxy's head temple some 700 years ago, is so named for its unique ability to make objects float in the air when it is placed in a mystic enclosure and heated to a certain temperature.

pg.2: History of Airships: The first airships were lifted into the air by creating a mystic enclosure within the vessel, and then fueling a fire therein. Propulsion was by means of wind power, the same as their more primitive seafaring brethren, but the invention of the internal combustion engine allowed for faster, steadier cruising speeds.
Later, airships came to fly even higher when new technology enabled increased temperatures to be applied to the skystone.

pg.3: Airship Design: Airships are designed to enable dockage in an airborne state or by floating in suitably expansive waters, such as the sea or a large lake. Since they are built much like traditional seafaring vessels, they can navigate ocean waters even without a skystone.

pg.4: Types of Airships: The Duchy of Eternia currently maintains a monopoly on all airships and the skystones required to power them. The existence of as many as ten has been confirmed, including one for each member of the Council of Six and the Eschalot, the airship of the First Division's captain, newly built in Ancheim.

D's Journal: D's Journal posted:

Cont: its cover, and it contains many prophecy-like writings.

Greyarc fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 24, 2017

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

If you're following along with the story, it's highly recommended you read Enigmatic Writings.

Yes, it's long. I'm assuming anyone who's gotten this far understands the sheer amount of :words: involved in this game. Yes, it's described by the characters as prophecy. No, it is not spoilers, not in the traditional sense. It's more like a supplement. Plus, you better believe Ringabel's going to keep referencing it and this way you'll actually have a bit of context.

I edited out line breaks for readability's sake. The text itself should otherwise be unchanged.

D's Journal: Enigmatic Writings

9/20
The steel airlock door creaked shut behind me. Footsteps investigating the noise drew close for a moment, but soon faded. I lowered myself into bed with a sigh. My right hand unconsciously drifted to the back of my head.

There, beneath my pillow, it fell upon a picture frame. Within it, a disheveled room full of scrap iron, oil stains, and a single, beautiful flower...

My beloved Edea...

I pine for the chance to see a smile unfurl across your face set in equal parts courageous fire and innocence. I long to hear your voice, sweet like a spring breeze. Let it speak my name, and I shall die a happy man.

I could hear the nervous shuffling outside my door of someone afraid to disturb me. Not afraid enough, it seems. I returned the photo to its hiding place and answered without bothering to conceal my irritation.

"I'm awake. What is it?"

I skimmed the manual I'd been given, then tossed it on the bed. I returned to Edea's smile, perfectly preserved within the picture frame.

The Eschalot. My lips formed the word time and again as I watched the new ship in tow from my cabin porthole.

9/26
I hurried for the capital as the sun dipped below Norende Plateau. My steps are unnervingly light without my armor, and these clothes hang oddly on me. Most of all, I feel naked without a weapon. I was greeted at the city's edge by the sound of a whistle marking the arrival of a merchant ship. Between the merchants and wholesalers, the dock workers unloading crates, the tired crewmen, and the eager children excited by exotic wares, the port was buzzing with people.

As I pushed my way upstream through the crowd and along the avenue toward the palace, I spotted a splendid building, its roof a rich navy. This must be the inn the old fisherman described.

Inside, I found a man with a gentle mien sitting behind a well-polished counter. I asked after any vacancies, but he replied with a chagrined, "Sorry, we're all full up tonight." It feels quiet for a full inn, but I don't suppose I can blame him. A walk-in customer, at this hour. Clearly not a local. No one to vouch for me. Any respectable innkeep would offer some version of the same excuse.

When I inquired after a place to eat, he said down by the port there should be a cheap pub catering to sailors that's open until morning. Lovely. Back down I go... At hill's bottom I ate my fill at a food cart aimed at drunken sailors. Now it's back up to the inn. I refuse to spend the night kept awake by carousing seamen.

I let myself into the empty house next door to the inn. I'll just have to sleep lightly.

9/27
I was awakened by the sound of sword practice, shouts of exertion, and the pleasant smell of toast. One of the king's guard, perhaps? Looks about my age, and reasonably skilled. I lay in my makeshift bed, lazily counting his swings.

"Hurry up, Owen. You'll be late."

Upon hearing the innkeep's words, the youth replied and made his way down from the misty hilltop and into the inn. The scent of breakfast coming from next door has me drooling...

One bite of my rock-hard bread brought me back to reality. The bacon burnt coal black and the murky, bitter coffee made me wish it hadn't. I suppose I can expect no more from a shabby stand in the port.

After choking down my fill, I climbed the hill toward the palace. Supplied by a series of lush waterways, Caldisla was once a formidable city-fortress. These days, its hooked central avenue is lined with a magic shop, general store, armory and other businesses. A large gate stands as a vestige of that era, though now it serves mostly as a site for the town bulletin board.

"This year's boar hunt is set to begin once the final slot is filled! *Weapons provided by the hunting committee."

A boar hunt? With the duchy attacking? I was speechless. As I made to leave, I felt someone grasp my shoulder.

"This fellow says he'll join the hunt! We ride today!"

I turned, shock and irritation laid bare, only to find Owen, the young man I had seen practicing in the fog that morning. My initial protests were drowned in a rising cheer, and as the smith handed me a broadsword and buckler, I dumbly accepted. Potions from the town chemist followed. Between their expectant smiles and Owen's grin, I found myself unable to say no.

On the road, I was told a litany of facts I cared nothing about. The search for food to fatten up before hibernating apparently drives the giant boars to local farms, where they raid crops and injure workers. As a result, the city gathers volunteers each year to hunt them. As captain of the guard (I discover), responsibility for overseeing the hunt falls upon Owen. The armorer was slated to participate, but a leg injury has him on crutches. Owen says he was searching for a replacement when he found a promising candidate during his morning practice. Lucky him.

We walked a full, tiring day stalking our prey. First the trader gave out, then chatter dried up between the two young castle guards. Sunset found us upriver from the city, at the entrance to the Norende Canyon. Just as we decided to make camp, a rustling came from the thickets behind us!

The boar that leapt out was indeed a giant--a vicious, one-tusked monster that had survived the last year's hunt. In a flash, it gored one of the guards, then the other, leaving only Owen, me, and the trader. The boar stamped the ground, preparing to charge the old man now paralyzed with fear. I expect we'd all given up hope for the kindly old merchant, when the beast suddenly changed course.

With only seconds to react, Owen landed a mighty blow, felling the monster in a single strike! I set about treating the young guards' injuries. The trader, clearly still worked up, narrated Owen's victory to the two boys. With every reverent word, I felt as though I was being derided as useless.

The others took to sleep, while I sat watch to keep the fire going. Owen rose, and came to sit beside me.

"Thanks for before."

I kept silent, but he pressed on.

"The boar only changed targets because you circled behind me and channeled your energy at it. It's thanks to you we're not carting home a corpse."

He sat waiting, apparently bent on receiving a response. His grin is infectious.

"I took the surest course of action," I replied as I held aloft my broadsword. "I had my doubts this blade was up to the task."

The weapon's edge was chipped in places, its length bent. With a gentle shake, the pommel gave an unsettling rattle. Owen burst into laughter at the noise. Apparently my response passed muster. He continued, his grin never flagging.

"Starting tomorrow, you'll stay at my place. I'll give word to my father to open a room for you."

I was dragged on this hunt, but if it earns me a real breakfast, it's a bargain I'd take gladly.

9/28
The innkeep's voice and the smell of coffee being laid on the table roused me from my thoughts.

"You're from Ancheim, eh? You'll be wanting extra sugar, then."

Politely declining, I took a sip. Quality beans, roasted to perfection... Exquisite. After the hunt, we'd carried the wounded back to town. We tied the boar to a high tree branch; Owen said the townspeople would come for it later.

After seeing to the boys' treatment, Owen invited me to his home, the inn. "Savior" was the title he used when introducing me to his father. I was mortified. I was on a journey of personal discovery, originally come from Ancheim... They bought my arbitrary lies without hesitation. They welcomed me.

That evening, we dined early, and well. The boar had been carted back to town, and our share of the meat filled the table. Once Owen returned from the palace, we sat down to feast. The innkeep was a brilliant cook, and we ate, drank, and reveled into the night.

"Come by the palace tomorrow. I want you to meet the king."

He repeated himself time and again, words slurred from the wine, despite my pretending to be asleep.

10/3
I've been in Caldisla a week, with no sign of the smoke signal. I join Owen in his training some mornings, walk the city streets, chat with the elderly, drink with the sailors at the docks, arm wrestle the drunks... Mostly, I just pass the time.

Today was another peaceful afternoon, the same as any other. Owen was at the palace since morning. I was enjoying a cup of the innkeep's coffee.

It happened in an instant. I felt as if someone was set to plunge a knife into my back. I turned, and saw a window. Through it, the northern sky was on fire in a flash of pure white. Moments later, the inn shook. An earthquake? Shockwave?

All of Caldisla trembled.

The innkeep moaned about a set of heirloom teacups breaking. I had my doubts that teacups would be the worst of the damage. Outside, I spied some injured people, but the city and palace stood unharmed. Another flash lit the sky to the northwest. Close. The Norende Plateau, perhaps...

10/4
It wasn't till the following morning that Owen came home. By the time he finished muttering about his morning training, he was snoring. A knock at his door put an end to that brief rest that afternoon.

"The river's jammed with rubble!"

After receiving the scout's report, Owen wolfed down the late breakfast his father had readied, then turned to me.

"Sounds like I may need a hand later."

I nodded, eyes fixed on the northwestern sky.

The bridge across the Caldisla River has lain in ruin since the duchy felled it. Now, a flotilla of further rubble and countless corpses approach from upstream. Upstream means the Norende Canyon, and the village of Norende at its source. I suppose that's our epicenter.

Owen and I split up and joined the others searching for victims. Owen's team searched the river's mouth, while I gathered men from town to search further upstream. I've a long sword at my side--a new one, this time, in good condition. Seems the smithy's been busy.

The armorer, the old trader, and a dockhand joined me on the shadowy path through the canyon. A few paces in, the armorer spotted something floating by: a young man, floating face up and snagged on the rocks.

We ran to his side.

"He's breathing! The boy's alive!"

While the others rejoiced, I was more concerned with the ominous shadows surrounding us.

"Goblins!?"
"What are monsters doing here?"

There ought not be monsters so close to human settlement. Not in these numbers. The townspeople were clearly overwhelmed. No doubt this was their first such encounter. I hesitated, unsure for a moment. But no, I had to take action.

"When I give the signal, hoist this boy out and sprint for the canyon's mouth. Is that clear!?"

A nod returned from each of them. Sudden movement would distract the creatures for a moment. I hoped that was all I'd need.

"Now! GO!"

Thankfully, both merchants escaped, as well as the dockhand with the unconscious boy across his shoulders. Left alone, I faced a quickly-closing circle of enemies. So be it, I thought. Come closer, then. A bit more... A deep growl emerged from my chest.

"...Black Bane!"

When I emerged from the canyon on shaky legs, I was greeted by three anxious faces.

"It was this fellow that saved me," I said, holding aloft the badly worn longsword. A huge, proud grin threatened to split the armorer's cheeks.

We hurried the boy back to town. I carried him to the inn.

"I need spirits and all the bandages you've got. And gramps, all the potions you've got, too!"

I laid him in a bed by the window, stripped him down, and had a look at his wounds. Thankfully, they were light, though he still showed no sign of stirring. Owen's group returned soon after, a few of his men wounded. They'd run into monsters as well. Leaving men to guard the gates, he made for the palace to report and formulate a plan.

When he came by to deliver the medicine, the old trader remarked that the boy's clothing bore a Norende pattern.

10/7
Three days the boy has stayed at the inn, and still no sign of waking. The innkeep says he's run a fever the entire time.

This afternoon is a warm one. Now I'm watching the innkeep nod off at the counter. The aftershocks have stopped, and peace is slowly returning to the city, but a shadow lingers over the earth, the sky, and the townspeople's hearts.

Glancing through the window, I saw people motioning toward the port. Another merchant ship, I thought, but no. Their shouts were anxious, not excited.

I stepped outside. Following the gaze of the others in the street, I saw a merchant vessel drifting into port.

But something was wrong. The ship was listing hard, its aft mast broken.

I sprinted down the hill. As I ran, I noticed a dark, heavy color spreading through the water from the mouth of the bay inward.

I caught snippets as I passed.
"The sea's begun to rot."
"Ships can't leave the bay."
"No fish in the last few days."

A few days? Then the change began when the quake hit...

The ship listed further, rescue boats surrounding it. Most of the cargo had already been cast overboard. When the boats reached the pier, a parade of passengers and crew emerged, each looking more exhausted than the next.

By some miracle, there were no lives lost, though most of the freight followed the ship to the bottom of the bay. The merchants mourned their lost profits and the crew their vessel. The seamen had lost their sea, and the passengers were now stranded. Despair ran rampant.

Except for one young girl.

She was full of questions. About the quake four days prior. About the flash that lit the sky. About Norende.

"Did you know someone in the village? Family, perhaps?"

Her jaw set at my query. Was it anger? Fear? She wordlessly shook her head from side to side.

"No? I just figured, hearing you ask about the quake so soon after weathering the sea. I thought maybe you were a friend of that boy's."

"Boy? What boy?" came her reply. Suspicion played on her face. But as the next boat reached the pier, we were shooed out of the harbor.

"Another visitor from Ancheim, eh? You must be tired. Why don't you stay with us till you're settled?"

Hmph. I recall a different sort of greeting. I cast a sour smile his way, and he responded with a grin.

"We've a sick one in the back. I hope you won't mind."

The girl replied with a nod. Her name, I learned, was Agnès. She seems guarded about her past. Not that I can talk.

Conversation continues to be awkward.

She shows interest in what was happening in this country when the quake hit. For my part, I ask her about the sea.

Her ship had left before the earthquake struck. She says about halfway between Ancheim and Caldisla, their pace began to slow. The seawater clouded, and dead fish began to float to the surface. First small ones, then larger.

As they neared port, the wind died. It was pure luck the ship drifted in before going calm. Other vessels they'd passed in the bay, she reported, were less fortunate.

She listened as I recounted what happened in the canyon, the color draining from her face. I told her the village was likely at the quake's epicenter, and that monsters had flooded the area in its wake. We talked late into the night.

10/25
An urgent wire from Caldisla came during the night.

"Sky Knights routed.

"The vestal and crew commandeered the S.K. ship, with Edea in tow."

11/13
The Flor-Cheim Inner Sea remains unsullied, and serves now as a holding place for ships from neighboring waters as well. I walked the port asking after the vestal's whereabouts (or those of the ship she stole, at least), but was unable to uncover anything useful. My continued search brings me to Ancheim proper. The ship's almanac has this to say of it:

"A clockwork metropolis, nestled in Harena's sandy bosom. Here time, above all, is sacred. A massive timepiece crowns the kingdom, fueled as all of Ancheim by the ceaseless currents originating from the Temple of Wind to the south."

I crossed the desert and arrived at the city's edge. It seems those ceaseless winds have ceased in the chasm's wake. Deprived of a precious power source, Ancheim's people now suffer under forced manual labor. Those I met were too tired and apathetic to answer my questions. One man, perhaps motivated by the coin I flashed, blushed awkwardly as he stammered this:

"T-try the Yulyana Woods..."

I reached out to hand him the money, but he turned and ran without taking it. Very odd.

11/23
The air in front of Ancheim's royal palace was taut. The vestal heaped abuse upon the king, then presented something to the agitated masses assembled there. It was a chain bearing an evil sigil. The glassy-eyed mob reached fever pitch...

The vestal pointed south, and the delirious mob turned their eyes to the sky, crying out her name. I moved to approach her, but the zealous crowd was packed tight. Fearing for his life, the king fled into the palace, escorted by his guard.

12/08
Good. They haven't come by... I was worried I might run into them here. That would complicate matters.

I could do little more than beg her help in the broadest of terms, then it was back to my ship and away again.

Though perhaps a bit out of date, the ship's almanac has this to say of Florem:

"True to the old teachings, Florem's women live in chaste humility, in coexistence with the spirits of nature."

And of the land's people:

"Devout Crystalists, they reject war and conflict, instead choosing lives of peaceful reflection."

Sounds like a recipe for carnage if those two heard these words...

1/31
After three weeks of anxious silence, they finally sent word.

"The wind vestal entered the Sacred Flower Festival."

...What?

3/07
It's been four years since I stood here. The fortress stands grim and imposing as ever.

Just what do they aim to do with a sword that large?

My guide greeted me respectfully. I suppressed my desire to break his face.

Ugh, enough! Stop talking! I know about this land and its resources without your yapping.

Mythril Steel:
An exceptionally hard metal refined from locally-mined ore. Upwards of 80 percent of the world's mythril originates in Eisenberg's mines. In rare cases, the same veins have yielded orichalcum.

Orichalcum:
An extremely precious metal, found exclusively in Eisenberg. Its durability is unrivaled, making it ideal for use in weapons and armor. Also notable is the extreme amount of energy released when the metal is melted under high pressure.

It's all common knowledge. Does he think we don't have schools?

We soon arrived at the top floor.

"Just how long do you intend to chase at my heels!?" When I barked at the guide, he seemed genuinely confused. A waterfall of sweat poured from him.

A guffaw rang out, cutting off any further tirade. The guide scuttled off, and a giant hand came clapping down on my back.

3/17
Someone please explain to me how I wound up defending this brat.

Ah, right. Because that fat scum and the weakling started eagerly talking about torturing the information out of him. Disgusting...

I'm not worried about this weakling Astrae. I could handle him with my eyes closed. But the drugs the fat one cooks up--the poisons, especially--could ruin the child's body. And so we stood there, staring each other down for a full half-hour...

It wasn't for another thirty minutes that old man battleaxe caught wind of the standoff and came to my rescue. Fatty and I were both drenched in sweat by that point. Astrae and the brat had passed out. In the end, the child became my responsibility.

Astrae is still spewing complaints, but it sounds like fatty was chewed out hard for his hand in this latest stunt. Seems the kid is grateful for having been spared, even by someone like me. He's started to open up a bit.

He's eight years old, and lost both parents to the war. His grandfather took him in, until disease claimed him as well. Textbook orphan story. He was rounded up with the other orphans and put to forced labor. Between ditching work and saying strange things, he drew the guards' attention, and that landed him here.

My efforts have earned me an unruly roommate. When he's asleep, he's no different than any other kid...

I thought to turn in for the night as well, but the words he mumbled in his sleep as I put out the light stopped me cold.

He pulled a lever in the rock or somesuch, and a tunnel into the magma caverns opened up. I'd never felt such heat. Between the steep, narrow path, this blasted heat, and having a brat in tow, my progress was miserably slow.

During one of our short breaks, I was taken unawares by one of Edea's tirades. Distracted or not, careful to watch my back or not, I had allowed the enemy to draw near without so much as realizing it. Absolutely mortifying.

I wasn't about to risk combat with the brat at my side. Even I have my limits. He was nearly passed out from exhaustion. I laid him behind the rocks and stepped forward. I saw no other choice but to fight...

In the short while since I'd last seen them, the vestal, Tiz and Edea's faces had grown older. Stronger. Their teamwork isn't half bad, either. I busied myself with the vestal while thinking on how best to drive back Edea without harming her.

"Stay back! Don't come here!"

All I could do as I saw the boy stumbling closer was shout. The caverns shook, and the ground beneath him gave way. Tiz was the first to react.

"Hang in there. We'll get you up!"

"Let go...We'll both fall!"

"Agnès, leave me! Go!"

"Un...acceptable..."

"Mrgrgr! My grip... It's slipping!"

I acted without thinking, clutching Edea to me and pulling her to safety.

--

Magma roared past beneath me. We stood there, wordless until we caught our breath.

"Thank you..." Edea began. "I suppose I owe you for that."

I reflexively jumped back. Edea stood there, Ise-no-Kami held drawn and ready. Some thanks...

Agnès shielded the boy while Tiz came to join Edea.

As the sound of her swing cut the air, the ground beneath me crumbled once more...

I saw the look of shock on Edea's face as if time were standing still. I slowly fell toward the magma below, joined by a shower of falling rock. My vision went red.

??/??
I'm alive...somehow.

When I woke, my body refused to respond. I think I was lying down. My eyelids felt as though they were glued shut. A familiar voice grated in my ear...

"Of course he'll recover. Just whom do you think you are addressing, mm? If I've orders to fix him, I'll see he's fixed...as much as I may enjoy his current state. He'll live, though I'll be sure he suffers for having humiliated me. Hyah heh heh..."

The days that followed were hell.

His breath reeked as he spoke.

"Aww, does it hurt? Hyah hyah hyah... I just gave you the most painful drug I know. And here you can't move a muscle to stop me. Such a shame, isn't it? Ahh hyah hyah hyah!"

Some day I will carve this pig apart, so help me...

I awoke to familiar engine noise and the smell of oil, but sleep soon found me once more.

When I next woke, I was floating in some kind of liquid. I could feel it bitter in my mouth, stinging my nose and filling my lungs. I thought I was drowning and tried to struggle, but my body still refused to obey. I quickly slipped back into darkness.

A cold, unpleasant voice woke me.

"A nasty bit of work, this... Torture, under the guise of treatment. It was wise to transport him here when we did. A few days more, and, well... Heh. Worry not, I'll have him back good as he was. You have my guarantee."

The voice next turned to me.

"And how are we feeling?"

My eyes opened, stung by the light and medicated fluid.

"Today is the twenty-fourth. You've been out a month and a week, but worry not. None of your correspondence seems especially pressing. ...See?"

He held a slip of paper up to the tank. "Bring the orphan to the inn of origin," it read.

"What does it mean?" he asked. "Is it code? I can't make sense of it."

It made little sense to me, too, but I felt relief at knowing the boy was alright.

"That wasn't your only inscrutable message."

I drifted in and out as he read more, catching only snippets. "Earth Crystal... Grandship... Engine room..."

Some days (weeks?) later, the liquid was drained from the tank, and I was left to stave off gravity with atrophied legs.

"Buck up. You'll be back to your old self given a week. I made well sure of that."

With that final dismissive comment, he turned and left. I was moved to a civilian hospital to recover. I trained back up to full stamina in six days, mostly out of spite. No trace remained of the burns I assume covered my body, and he'd reversed any effects of whatever that pig had injected me with while he was at it. It galls me to say, but the man does good work.

6/16
How many days have passed since I left his side? A pillar of light has stood above the southern sea for some time now, just as he predicted.

That leaves little room to doubt his second prediction will hold true. Within the coming days, the vestal and her friends will come here. I only pray I have the strength to stop them as I was asked to...

Thinking back, the vestal's followers have been with her from the start. Ever since Caldisla. Agnès Oblige, vestal to the Wind Crystal... I never imagined the young girl I met on that pier would bear such a fate.

And Tiz Arrior. For the boy I pulled from that canyon river to become a guard and ally to the vestal on her journey... It seems on so many counts, I bear the fault for all of this.

A long, harsh journey to erase the Great Chasm. A vestal who crossed the putrid sea and stagnant air to survive. A boy whose home was swallowed. In retrospect, they seem a natural pair. Inevitable, even.

And Edea... I expect you, too, will join the vestal here. You were ever a tomboy. Capricious. Pure and stubborn. Quick to tears... Perfect. I know not what it is you see in the vestal. What spark resonated within you. But I swear this now, I will keep you safe. At any cost.

The ship's siren has begun to sound, and the pilot's taking her up, just as planned. The time is come, then. This may be the last entry I am able to write. I'm removing Edea's picture from its frame and placing it within these pages. I want her by my side...

Greyarc fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 24, 2017

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You can usually tell if an enemy's description was written by Ringabel just from the way it was written. Focus on feminine humanoids and you'll usually hit the mark.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Oh man, I forgot that the entire journal prophecy was dumped on you at the start, it was kind of a pain in the butt to go page by page on the weeny 3DS screen. Nice illustrations, though.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Junpei posted:

You can usually tell if an enemy's description was written by Ringabel just from the way it was written. Focus on feminine humanoids and you'll usually hit the mark.

They're all written by Ringabel.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I'm not sure Ringabel's going to like what the future has in store for him, if it involves falling in lava and then being tortured with research chemicals for a month while all his burns presumably turn to necrosis.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I never read the Enigmatic Writings until I finished the game since I didn't want to be "spoiled". I feel like I missed out somehow.

Also, that last entry going from an optimistic plan by the writer to protect their family to a picture of a giant ominous shadow is really great at being unsettling.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Feb 18, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Wow, that's a lot of information given to you. That's more information and clues than I was expecting. I don't think I shall say any more.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Wow, that's a lot of information given to you. That's more information and clues than I was expecting. I don't think I shall say any more.

Foreshadowing? FORESHADOWING! :eng101:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I never read the Enigmatic Writings until I finished the game since I didn't want to be "spoiled". I feel like I missed out somehow.

Also, that last entry going from an optimistic plan by the writer to protect their family to a picture of a giant ominous shadow is really great at being unsettling.

And bloodstains. :ohdear:

-----

I really like D's Journal. It's a great storytelling device, in that it gives an unreliable narrator/alternate point-of-view perspective on what's happened in the game so far, and (we assume) also what's going to happen in the game in the future. As far as we can tell, they are spoilers at this point - but they're not presented in such a way that we can say "well, I guess I can stop playing the game now, I know what happens." We can also tell it's not 100% accurate - for instance, it doesn't look like the journal-writer joined Agnes and Tiz after they beat up Barras and Holly.

I have the (unfortunate in this case) advantage of 20/20 hindsight when re-reading it, but there is so much interesting stuff to pick out of the journal. :allears:

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Wow, I think this is the first JRPG I've seen where I underestimated the characters' ages.

Anticrystalism posted:

"And with the establishment of the Duchy of Eternia fifteen years ago under the banner of Anticrystalism, the Orthodoxy became even more irrelevant, and indeed, even forgotten among the people of most lands, save the few still friendly to the religion."

"Under the banner of Anticrystalism, the duchy has used its advanced science and military might in many ways to pressure the lands that still espouse Crystalism."

"It brands the Crystal Orthodoxy as a heretic faith, and the vestals its minions. Some adherents even suspect the Great Chasm was the vestals' doing."
So wait, have people forgotten all about crystals in 15 short years, or is there a rabid anti-crystal government? You, uh, can't really have both at the same time.

"Crystals? Never heard of them. Also, they must be destroyed."

edit: Jeez, you goons, it's not a "spoiler" if it's part of the story. It's a plot point that one of the characters has a journal with future information in it, and the author(s) chose to expose the whole thing to you at once. You're supposed to read it. That's called "writing", not "spoilers". OMG I just read the beginning of Chronicle of a Death Foretold you guys and Marquez totally spoiled that the bishop is gonna get killed at the end!

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 18, 2017

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

hey girl you up posted:

Wow, I think this is the first JRPG I've seen where I underestimated the characters' ages.

:ssh: Everyone was aged up a few years for the English release.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

hey girl you up posted:

So wait, have people forgotten all about crystals in 15 short years, or is there a rabid anti-crystal government? You, uh, can't really have both at the same time.

"Crystals? Never heard of them. Also, they must be destroyed."

The Orthodoxy as an organisation/religion was forgotten, not the crystals. After all, the anti-crystallists want to use the crystals themselves.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

hey girl you up posted:

edit: Jeez, you goons, it's not a "spoiler" if it's part of the story. It's a plot point that one of the characters has a journal with future information in it, and the author(s) chose to expose the whole thing to you at once. You're supposed to read it. That's called "writing", not "spoilers". OMG I just read the beginning of Chronicle of a Death Foretold you guys and Marquez totally spoiled that the bishop is gonna get killed at the end!

To be fair, the reason I call it a spoiler is because it's so damned extensive. A first-time player doesn't know exactly how far it explains things out to, but it sure as hell reads like it ends directly before some seriously major plot event.

I accept it as part of the narrative, but it'd drat near be a walkthrough if it wasn't. :v:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
there's no mention of Ringabel joining the party in the journal, and yet here he is, and obviously he's joining. And the journal author talks about bonding with Owen, but we haven't seen any outsider wearing that armor who is Owen's friend. There are probably other discrepancies. but at any rate, this seems to be describing the series of events that would happen without Ringabel present in the party. Is it prophecy, or has it already happened?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

MightyPretenders posted:

They're all written by Ringabel.

That's... Interesting. I thought that (At least for the monster entries) it was divided up between party members. I meant descriptions that were OBVIOUSLY written by Ringabel. Like this!

Succubus: Flying through the air on black wings, this alluring little demon uses Entice to make victims do as she says, which is not always bad if you like that sort of thing.

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011
I completely wrote off reading the enigmatic writings when I played through the game, and... wow. That's really cool stuff! Particularly unimportant details like the amount of time that passes based on the journal entry dates (roughly nine months in total) and the level of technology of the world. They seemingly have things like internal combustion engines and telegraphy (both of which imply electricity), but in true fantasy style, nothing outside of airships seems to exploit them.

It doesn't do much to fill in any of the plot holes that I remember, but discussing anything further around that would begin heavily dipping into spoiler territory.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that one of the best parts of the Bravely Series would be the journals.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

YggiDee posted:

:ssh: Everyone was aged up a few years for the English release.

I... I should have known.

And here I was mildly impressed, thinking it was just the art style.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

Foreshadowing? FORESHADOWING! :eng101:

Proper good foreshadowing stuff too. Plenty of ambiguity and missing information to make filling in the blanks interesting!

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

hey girl you up posted:

I... I should have known.

And here I was mildly impressed, thinking it was just the art style.

Our four party members all got aged up by three years. There was good cause for this, as you'll see.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like the sketchwork there in the mysterious writings. Really helps sell the idea somebody's trying to put down recollections.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Entry 10: In Which the Party Fights Ganon's Knockoff Cousins

The next morning, the full extent of Ominas's damage can be seen. Mystery girl aside, Ringabel's living space being destroyed might have been a factor in his sudden interest in tagging along.

It pains me to place this all on you, but I'm sure you'll do great.

Owen is an important member of our cheerleading squad. We believe in you, too, Owen.

Caldisla's mood is grim, but defiant. The king is the most distressed, soft marshmallow that he is. All said and done...

Our goal is clear.

Ringabel is going to take on White Mage. It seems natural for him. Tiz will keep as Freelancer for now.

An example of how job determines proficiency with different armor/weapon types. S-ranked staves are the white mage specialty, while they're terrible with E-ranked swords.

Higher proficiency increases the physical attack power of a weapon. In the hands of someone with E proficiency, the staff only adds 2 attack power. In Ringabel the white mage's hands, it adds 3. Underwhelming here, perhaps, but a big deal for physical attackers.

Unless you have a good knuckles weapon, it's best to go bare-handed as monk. Why?

Each job has a Specialty, listed near the bottom on the previously shown ability menu. Specialties provide a unique passive perk which compliments the job's playstyle. In this case, Knuckle Lore raises knuckles proficiency to S and adds x2 to physical attack when the character is fighting bare-handed.

Many specialties also double as learnable support abilities, allowing the use of, for example, Knuckle Lore on a white mage.

Before leaving town, let's check in on Norende.

Earlier I set my worker on the northeastern blockade.

And here it is after the blockade clearage is completed. A new couple of shops are ready to be upgraded, and a couple more blockades are accessible. The topmost blockade will take 99 hours to unblock. For the moment, effort goes into the armor shop.

At this point I'm already drowning in gifts from the item shop. Got two new item types:

Echo herbs will come in handy now that we have magic-users.

With all prep done, we head to the keep.

Well, we sure found our targets quick.

I'll say it now. Your methods are wrong.

Wrong? WRONG!? I don't rec-c-call asking your opinion on the matter!

I've seen more than enough to know this much: You are undeserving of my trust and my loyalty.

Ominas turns away to rage, probably wishing the computer was invented so he could rant about women on the internet.

The joke is Edea sounds like the princess from Hidden Fortress: rocks scraping together, especially when angry. That's speaking as someone who likes both characters.

The second dungeon, Centro Keep, seems straightforward: Get to the room next door. The trick? Both doors leading directly there are locked. We have to go up two floors, around to left side of fort, then back down.

To progress, closed gates around the keep can be opened via giant conspicuous switches in the walls.

It's a very basic gimmick, and unfortunately par for the course for this game's puzzles. This game takes a lot from NES/older SNES JRPGs, including the negatives of simple but tedious dungeon layouts with little visual variety, with a few exceptions.

Two of the new enemies here.

Cait Siths go down easily. Orcs have a semi-regular pattern of Default, then Brave to attack twice next turn. Since Defaulting increases defense for its turn, a 4x attack at the wrong time will really lack its normal potency.

On the second floor, another lever/door combo and a chest. These go on Agnès so she can keep on punching.

The party doesn't even bother facing the enemy. Or staying on the ground, in Ringabel's case. The game's difficulty curve won't kick in for a while, but boy will it get going when it does.

First priority in this place. Orcs hit hard enough without poisoning and a buff.

On the third floor, the game's first hidden treasure chest. As in earlier Final Fantasy games, sometimes there are invisible holes in walls which lead to goodies. Encouraging players to scrape themselves against every wall was always a good combo with random battles. Luckily, online guides and an adjustable encounter rate are here to help this time around.

The prize is our first knuckles weapon.

Agnès will now one or two-shot enemies.

A complete map of the third floor.

Back down to the left side of second floor, there's a weapon I immediately forget to equip before fighting the black mage.

Complete map of the second floor and an Adventurer save point, indicating that a boss battle is imminent.

Next: A battle on two fronts.

--

Event Viewer
Main Scenario:
You're Wrong

D's Journal: Ruins of Centro Keep posted:

Greyarc fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 24, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ominas would be that person online who's always complaining how he's overlooked by women even though he's such a nice guy.

The second dungeon theme is probably my favorite, though I do like Silence of the Woods a lot as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPPBj1cpPB0

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

And here I thought you'd make it past where I am in my replay with this update :D (I'm actually playing along!)

Greyarc posted:

It's a very basic gimmick, and unfortunately par for the course for this game's puzzles. This game takes a lot from NES/older SNES JRPGs, including the negatives of simple but tedious dungeon layouts with little visual variety, with a few exceptions.

Oddly, the simplistic dungeon gimmicks never bothered me THAT much in BD, especially after I got the support that negates damage from various dungeon hazards. Crank the encounter rate down to zero and just go - they're roadblocks getting in the way of my plot! :argh:

I think the only one that really annoyed me was the one with the pairs of doors, where you needed to backtrack 3 or 4 times to get all the items. THAT one was tedious even with a zero encounter rate.

And while the dungeon tilesets may be same-y, damned if they aren't pretty.

Eruza
Sep 4, 2011

And here I thought you'd make it past where I am in my replay with this update :D (I'm actually playing along!)

I'm so tempted to play along too but I don't have time, what with other games I need to get through (my backlog has built up a bit). I'm so glad you're doing an lp of this game, Greyarc. It's easily my favorite 3DS game, flaws and all. I'm really looking forward to how the thread handles some of the later plot points.

quote:

Oddly, the simplistic dungeon gimmicks never bothered me THAT much in BD, especially after I got the support that negates damage from various dungeon hazards. Crank the encounter rate down to zero and just go - they're roadblocks getting in the way of my plot! :argh:

I agree. I actually liked the simple dungeons personally. I mostly play games to relax nowadays so I don't have too much patience for what I consider tedious crap. Having as much control as BD gives you makes things very tolerable for me, and is my second favorite thing about the game (music being the first).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ominous Crow over there needs to learn the difference between "the bad guy" and "the worst guy".

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Eruza posted:

I mostly play games to relax nowadays so I don't have too much patience for what I consider tedious crap.

I totally agree with this sentiment. Back when I was in my teens and early 20's, I had plenty of time to dick around, 100% a game, get all the :spergin:super rare drops:spergin:, and just in general put up with a lot more bullshit than I'm willing to now. It's why my eye twitches a bit every time someone says "when you <cheat/use a walkthrough/don't play the way I think is the One True Way> [in a single player game], you just ruin your fun!" If I didn't do these things, the fun most likely wouldn't be had at all.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Bravely Default's dungeon layouts definitely have one big improvement over old JRPGs: they're a fraction of the size. Endless maze corridors are one feature best left in the past unless your game is explicitly all about navigating endless maze corridors, e.g. Etrian Odyssey.

The pace will pick up a fraction once we're out of tutorial areas. Starting around late chapter 1 I'll be doing grinding behind the scenes, too, though if you're running with a more optimal party you won't be worrying about that as much.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

As someone who has played a number of 3DS games The One True Way, fuuuuuck that.

I wouldn't have given Final Fantasy Explorers a second chance if it weren't for Powersave being able to add materials to my inventory. Grinding sucks.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I only care about what makes the game fun. I generally dislike grinding, but in certain games, the long way is very nice. But in BD, I also toned down the encounter rate as soon as I decided I need more plot.

Actually I love how you can influence the encounter rate. Random encounters are some of the things I really hate in these video games.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

More games need to use Bravely Default's encounter rate modifier. I can think of a few games where, during the endgame, you're getting into a battle every five steps practically.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I have to admit, I rather love it when games do this with items. They give a simple, but direct explanation on how the item works and what it does, it really opens up a little bit more into a game's world setting and I am very sad more games don't do it. Too bad I never could finish BD1 because of A. Work schedules are a bitch and B. Reasons that will be explained later on down the road in the game. Also, I rather enjoyed the ability to A. Auto-Attack whenever you want and B. Change encounter rates and the encounter speeds on a dime, which makes it a lot more accessible to basically everyone. The game's DIFFICULTY CURVE on the other hand...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

More games need to use Bravely Default's encounter rate modifier. I can think of a few games where, during the endgame, you're getting into a battle every five steps practically.

They kinda do, it's showing enemies on the map.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Probably bias on my part having just played through it recently, but Breath of Fire 2 was terrible about this. Also: charcters of wildly varying usefulness, who also all level at different speeds (and gain no experience when not part of your 4-person party), and are all mandatory for at least one dungeon (occasionally as the sole party member). I often find myself wondering how in god's name I had the patience for it when I was 10.

tl;dr I've got gripes about BD too, but they did a fantastic job picking and choosing the classic JRPG elements to keep.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Rangpur posted:

Probably bias on my part having just played through it recently, but Breath of Fire 2 was terrible about this. Also: charcters of wildly varying usefulness, who also all level at different speeds (and gain no experience when not part of your 4-person party), and are all mandatory for at least one dungeon (occasionally as the sole party member). I often find myself wondering how in god's name I had the patience for it when I was 10.

tl;dr I've got gripes about BD too, but they did a fantastic job picking and choosing the classic JRPG elements to keep.
gently caress highfort

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

In retrospect, it's weird I had a fond impression of a game so chock full of stuff I realized was bullshit, even at that age. Good final act, though. Coincidentally, this is also how I feel about the most divisive parts of Bravely Default.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Did you just find a pair of peril-sensitive sunglasses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Greyarc posted:

The pace will pick up a fraction once we're out of tutorial areas. Starting around late chapter 1 I'll be doing grinding behind the scenes, too, though if you're running with a more optimal party you won't be worrying about that as much.

Is a Level 99 party with all jobs maxed considered "more optimal?" :v:

(I just fired up a New Game+ from whenever I last played a year or two ago)