Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So when I played BD I kept encounter rate at 100% at basically all times.

What emerges is a game that's actually really interesting. Since you can't full heal at save points dungeons end up being tests to see how many of your resources you can reasonably maintain before you get to the bosses.

On normal mode, I was finding that even with a party that was fairly well thought out, random encounters were consistently forcing me to burn through my consumables, so that the bosses at the end were almost always a significant challenge.

In addition, the game provided just enough money that I could buy some upgrades for my party, but never all the ones available, meaning that getting items was actually a choice that mattered.

For a game that could have leant heavily on the encounter slider if it wanted to, it's surprisingly well balanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well its obviously balanced towards 100% enc but the slider is a concession to QoL and the fact that this is a handheld game so you might want to get through this bit of dungeon/overworld before the bus hits your stop.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Yorkshire Tea posted:

For a game that could have leant heavily on the encounter slider if it wanted to, it's surprisingly well balanced.

Interesting. That's definitely a credit to the devs.

There's a lot to analyze about Bravely Default's encounter rate adjuster. On one hand, it takes the annoyance out of random battles and gives the player a good feeling of control. On the other hand, it could be argued it's acting as a band-aid on the aging, bleeding painful gameplay mechanic known as random battles, which should no longer be used in games like this now that enemies can be shown on the map.

Adding to that, there's the issue that Bravely Default's second half likely would've been a complete deal breaker for reviewers (and players) if not for the encounter adjuster... We'll get to that eventually.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Greyarc posted:

Adding to that, there's the issue that Bravely Default's second half likely would've been a complete deal breaker for reviewers (and players) if not for the encounter adjuster... We'll get to that eventually.

From what I've read, the version released abroad is an updated rerelease, called "For the sequel" in Japan. Among other things this rerelease added the encounter slider.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Greyarc posted:

There's a lot to analyze about Bravely Default's encounter rate adjuster. On one hand, it takes the annoyance out of random battles and gives the player a good feeling of control. On the other hand, it could be argued it's acting as a band-aid on the aging, bleeding painful gameplay mechanic known as random battles, which should no longer be used in games like this now that enemies can be shown on the map.
Lufia for SNES managed to show enemies on dungeon maps, so sprite limits and processing power have been a poor excuse for keeping the random encounter system in RPGs since 1990, at least. I don't mind random encounters, personally, as long as they're handled intelligently like in this game, or other games that allow you to adjust encounter rates to your taste, even if you need to use spells and/or consumable items to do so.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Commander Keene posted:

Lufia for SNES managed to show enemies on dungeon maps, so sprite limits and processing power have been a poor excuse for keeping the random encounter system in RPGs since 1990, at least. I don't mind random encounters, personally, as long as they're handled intelligently like in this game, or other games that allow you to adjust encounter rates to your taste, even if you need to use spells and/or consumable items to do so.

Low detail 2d sprites with 2 frames of animation are worlds away from animated 3d models, which you know modern gamers would demand. DQ8 3ds did it so it is possible, but it has its own limitations with encounters

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
This all cements my belief that more/all JRPGs should imitate The World Ends With You's encounter system. And maybe its item drop and leveling system.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

YggiDee posted:

This all cements my belief that more/all JRPGs should imitate The World Ends With You's encounter system. And maybe its item drop and leveling system.
Yessssss.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

YggiDee posted:

Oh god please I wish more games did that. An encounter slider is nice. Being able to choose weather you WANT to fight on a separate screen is even better, being able to pick and choose, not to mention "Chaining" for item drops, with a "Boss Re-fight" symbol to add to it.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Entry 11: Through the Silence, a Single Punch

This is the standard line the Adventurer gives before boss battles.

Going down the stairs leads to the room adjoining Edea and the black mage. Let's go say hi.

How are you here? Is no one under me competent!? Bah, f-fine! My f-ff...FIRE will make ash of the lot of you!

What? Ominas! Our orders are to take the vestal alive! Besides, if you loosed your spells in here, you'd--

N-no! Gwaaaugh!

He's attacking his own people!

Are the Sky Knights sent on away assignments to keep them as far from domestic affairs as possible?

Black Mage Ominas Crowe!

What!? You're t-t-turning traitor?! You'll make your f-father a laughingstock!

This has nothing to do with him. All that I hold true denies everything that you are!

Who, us!? But we--

Well, maybe not my real name, but certainly my... Anyway, what's in a name, really? Don't you agree, Edea?

What!? How did you...?

Enough. Conversation can wait!

Aaargh, enough! No more! I'll not be made a f-ff...FOOL any longer! I'll see you all charred black! I swear it!

Black Mage Ominas Crowe is the second boss of the game. But there's a first with this fight...

We have a full party.

Being a black mage, Ominas is an offensive spellcaster, using fire and negative status effects such as poison and sleep.

Here he uses the unusual technique of silencing my monk.

Agnès is the star this battle. Monks have low magic defense and high physical attack while black mages have low physical defense and high magic attack, but unlike Ominas, Agnès has healers on her side.

The fight doesn't last long.

The team,

the spoils,

and the man.

But what about this new party member?

Still, I've no regrets. My conscience spoke, and I followed it. ...Into the life of a deserter, it seems. I trust there's room in your little band for one more?

Unacceptable. What bond of trust can exist between a sky knight of the duchy and a vestal?

But of late, it seems things are rarely cut quite so cleanly. Behaving as the Sky Knights did makes a person wicked. That lot is black as they come. And what other lies have I been told, then?

The only thing for it is to see for myself. What is black, and what is white? Your actions will tell me the color of your heart, vestal.

Side note: I was curious how Edea's black vs. white notion was expressed originally. Turns out she actually says 'shiro' (white) and 'kuro' (black) in Japanese. :eng101:

That was...rational?

I'm always rational! That scum Crowe just had me seeing red before.

Ahh, the type whose claws come out when she gets hot-headed. I'll jot down a note not to anger you.

They don't seem like bad people to me.

Yes, but how a thing seems and how a thing truly is often differs.

And what are we to make of that?

That we're about to steal ourselves an airship. ...One assumes.

Just what is that book of yours?

Will they turn their cannons on us?

Not by that course. They make south...!

Let's hurry!

As the party makes their way to the fort entrance, they find time to chat:

Going by the look of it, I'm the youngest one here...

Is it best if I stuck to sir and ma'am?

Please, just Tiz.

...And Agnès for me, if you please.

Really? Even though you're a vestal? Shouldn't it be Lady Agnès or something?

I would really rather you didn't...

Besides, it's best we didn't go around shouting "vestal" too loudly.

Ooh, right. Almost forgot she's a wanted woman.

In that case, just Agnès is probably smartest.

Thank you.

Yes, that's certainly wise. Especially considering the volume of our Edea's voice.

What's wrong with my voice!

You said her voice was gentle as a spring breeze before, Ringabel.

Yes, well. Spring has a way of giving over to summer.

And breezes build. Up close, it's more of a torna-- Don't think I'll finish that thought.

Ooooooh! No, I think I'd like to hear this! Speak up, Ringabel!

Ah, I've remembered an errand. A very pressing, very distant errand.

Hey! You get back here this instant!

Ha ha ha... She sure got on familiar terms with Ringabel pretty quick.

Also, it's never an inappropriate time to talk about Norende, according to the game!

I know nothing is going to get done overnight... But we're taking that first step! I feel like the future finally looks bright.

Still, building a whole village from scratch is a huge undertaking.

You're taking a first step on a looong, hard road, Tiz.

She's right. There's no denying it will be tough. What's more, there's no guarantee that success awaits you beyond all that hardship. It could be an uphill struggle that doesn't get you anywhere.

Come on, don't talk like that. I've already got no confidence as it is... All I have is...faith, I guess? Or the sense that I've got to do this. It has to be me!

That is all you need, Tiz.

Your quest to see Norende rise again is no different than our journey to be rid of the chasm. We've no assurance of success. We may be walking a thorny path to no avail. But we must press onward just the same. We must believe in our actions!

Right!

There was a backlog of three Norende cutscenes since they weren't accessible until Edea joined (they're triggered by progress on the minigame), but the other two can wait. Now, what were we doing--

...Oh yeah, enemy airship.

The party exits the fort, while we switch to see what's going on in Caldisla...

Hrm.

Ahhh! Why is this happening!?

Or, if you'd prefer, I can come down and pluck her from the last building I leave standing. The choice is yours. Entirely.

Speaking with the guards and reading D's Journal, it's pretty clear Caldisla doesn't put much emphasis on its military force. Although it's a great place in peacetime, we're now seeing the downside.

Hmm? Ahh, yes...

Owen, Captain of the Caldislan Royal Guard!

Knight Argent Heinkel, Knights-Captain of the Eternian Sky!

The stories paint you Caldisla's greatest hero. I hope you will not disappoint me!

Looks like it's up to Owen and the party, now.

Tiz is going to be a black mage, though he won't be much use until he has black magic to cast.

Edea is staying as freelancer for now...

Because she has this. True to the reverence it received in the opening movie, Ise-no-Kami is quite a good weapon for this stage of the game.

Lastly, time for another segment of Let's Learn Jobs. Today's topic is Support Abilities.

They come in a wide variety, but white mage level 2 has a simple one: increasing magic defense by 10%.

As mentioned earlier, the limitation for equipping support abilities is their cost. Right now, everyone can only equip one slot worth of support abilities. Although M.Defense 10% Up costs only 1, many abilities will cost more.

The amount the characters can equip will go up as the plot progresses. Mixing and matching support abilities with different jobs is key to making full use of jobs, and lends this game a healthy amount of tactical variety.

Next: Caldisla's been better -- will the party make it back in time? Also, info on the Jobs collected so far.

--

Event Viewer
Main Scenario:
At Patience's End
Black or White
Caldisla in Crisis
Heinkel's Attack

Party Chat:
Talk of Titles
Norende's New Beginning

D's Journal: Ringabel posted:

pg.5: After going to the ruins of Centro Keep in pursuit of the black mage Ominas Crowe, who set the town on fire, a quarrel ensued. The girl Edea finally lost her temper with the gaunt man, who cast his magic on foe and ally alike. She asked us to help her dispatch him, and we agreed, as that had been our goal all along. Thus, our journey together began.

D's Journal: Tiz Arrior posted:

pg.5: We clashed with the black mage Ominas Crowe deep within the ruins of Centro Keep. Shocked that Ominas would use his magic indiscriminately, Edea declared she would side with us against him, despite us being the enemy. This flustered Tiz, but I welcomed her aboard, and together we trounced that fiend Ominas.

D's Journal: Agnès Oblige posted:

pg.4: At Centro Keep, Edea turned on the black mage Ominas and joined us, and thus our journey began. Agnès was still wary, and suspected me of having some ulterior motive. I showed her the writings in my journal to ease her fears, but she only grew more suspicious... This vestal is a tough woman to convince!

D's Journal: Edea Lee posted:

pg.2: A[sic] eighteen-year-old girl hailing from Eternia. On first impression, she appears to be a spoiled princess type. However, while strong-willed and opinionated, she is also kind and filled with a sense of justice. She never shies away from a conflict.
--------------------------------
Dislikes: Cooking, hassle, insects

pg.3: I accompanied the wind vestal Agnès to the ruins of Centro Keep. There we encountered Edea, whose rage at the cowardly methods of the black mage Ominas Crowe caused her to revolt against him. She told us she would join our cause, and together we defeated the dastardly black mage.

D's Journal: Ominas the Black Mage posted:

pg.2: A 32-year-old man from Eternia. Going by the name Ominas Crowe, he carries the black mage asterisk. Though serving as lieutenant commander of the Sky Knights, he is deeply unpopular, and often alone due to his antisocial attitude.
--------------------------------
Dislikes: Strong women, forceful types

pg.3: At the ruins of Centro Keep, the black mage Ominas Crowe and Edea began arguing.
It seemed this was the last straw for Edea, and she entreated us to fight him at her side. We took down the black mage together, and Edea joined our motley crew.

So long, Ominas.

Greyarc fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 24, 2017

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Well, I wouldn't trust the Sky Knights either. Who sends people like them anyway?

Anyway, the world isn't white and black, but it definitely looks that way because of how the sky knights behave.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Oh, Edea. :allears:

The interplay between her and Ringabel is one of the highlights of the game for me. Of course, I love any characters who snark at each other like these two.

And, of course, the punny name... she's a bit of an idealist, seeing everything in black and white. You could even say she sees things... Idea-ly. :v:

(okay, you need to squint a bit and tilt your head just the right way to see this one, but still...)

Eruza
Sep 4, 2011

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

And, of course, the punny name... she's a bit of an idealist, seeing everything in black and white. You could even say she sees things... Idea-ly. :v:

The pronunciation of her name helps too. And yes, finally have the full crew. I really like how the game sets up the relationships between these 4, it only gets better from here :allears:

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Anyway, the world isn't white and black, but it definitely looks that way because of how the sky knights behave.

I know some mages who would disagree. :colbert:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
"I won't stand for this murder of my people! So I'll join the guys who are murdering my people!"

Oh Edea. :allears:

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

The Sky Knights always felt to me like Eternia kept them around because they were a useful military division and it was either impractical or impossible to train new officers for the division. After all, it seems the basic grunts (and Edea) are reasonable, it's the ranking officers that can't go two days without starting an incident.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

So now we have the fourth party member. This will get covered in more and better detail later, probably, but the short version is that Tiz is the Jack Of All Trades, Agnés is The Casty One, Ringabel is The Fast One, and Edea is The Fighty One. But that's only relevant if you want to super min-max to a frankly unnecessary degree, and if you want to make Edea the wizard while Agnés punches people in the face, go for it!

Also for weapons, anybody can use anything, and this includes the ability to use a weapon in the off hand. There's no reason to leave your off hand empty, so you might as well carry a shield, even if you're a wizard and the shield does basically squat because you suck at using shields. It's better than nothing. Or you can dual wield wands! This will provide a nice bonus to your casting ability. It will tank your melee ability, but pfft, you're a wizard, who cares.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Eruza posted:

The pronunciation of her name helps too. And yes, finally have the full crew. I really like how the game sets up the relationships between these 4, it only gets better from here :allears:

I mostly like how the game actually gives you your full party very early on. It's a stark contrast with say, FF4 (which I just finished reading the LP of) where you're swapping party members with basically every big story event.

MechaCrash posted:

So now we have the fourth party member. This will get covered in more and better detail later, probably, but the short version is that Tiz is the Jack Of All Trades, Agnés is The Casty One, Ringabel is The Fast One, and Edea is The Fighty One. But that's only relevant if you want to super min-max to a frankly unnecessary degree, and if you want to make Edea the wizard while Agnés punches people in the face, go for it!

I also like how Bravely Default subverts the hell out of the "women can't fight" trope. It's fun to be able to have Agnes (or Edea) beat the gently caress out of people, no matter what the beating is being done with. I admit I tend to have Agnes as a dedicated healer, but Edea is usually my glass cannon build and she's amazing at it. :3:

MechaCrash posted:

Also for weapons, anybody can use anything, and this includes the ability to use a weapon in the off hand. There's no reason to leave your off hand empty, so you might as well carry a shield, even if you're a wizard and the shield does basically squat because you suck at using shields. It's better than nothing. Or you can dual wield wands! This will provide a nice bonus to your casting ability. It will tank your melee ability, but pfft, you're a wizard, who cares.

On the dual wield note, it's worthwhile to mention that there IS a reason not to dual wield though* - it cuts the attack power of each weapon and if you're not proficient in them**, you might end up doing less damage. Additionally, although I only recall this being a problem for me in Bravely Second, you may end up better off going for a more powerful single hit rather than two weaker hits. Since enemy defense applies to each strike, the higher-powered single attack can end up doing more damage overall. It's great for stat sticks though.

* Two potential reasons, actually. There's a support ability that lets you two-hand a weapon for 1 support point and something like double damage.
** Or "proficient" in dual wielding via support ability - it negates the penalty, but it's a bit expensive. And you don't get it for a while.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Really the only way to decide who does what is to judge purely on how good/stupid they look in the jobs.

Bravely Default is a game about dressing two guys and two girls up in fancy costumes and everything else is filler content.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

On the dual wield note, it's worthwhile to mention that there IS a reason not to dual wield though* - it cuts the attack power of each weapon and if you're not proficient in them**, you might end up doing less damage. Additionally, although I only recall this being a problem for me in Bravely Second, you may end up better off going for a more powerful single hit rather than two weaker hits. Since enemy defense applies to each strike, the higher-powered single attack can end up doing more damage overall. It's great for stat sticks though.

Iirc Magic Attack doesn't get cut by dual wielding with nonproficiency, so your offensive casters can dual wield rods to your heart's content.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Dartonus posted:

Iirc Magic Attack doesn't get cut by dual wielding with nonproficiency, so your offensive casters can dual wield rods to your heart's content.

Yup, that's what I meant by stat sticks. It kind of got tacked on as an afterthought since I realized it could be read as speaking against that usage.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

theshim posted:

Really the only way to decide who does what is to judge purely on how good/stupid they look in the jobs.

Bravely Default is a game about dressing two guys and two girls up in fancy costumes and everything else is filler content.

I agree. I'm sure this is how I played 100%

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Let's Learn Jobs: Freelancer

Freelancer is the default job. Though able to do okay decent physical damage, it has few battle abilities and for most of the game can't match up to other, more focused jobs. Its real strength lies in its Specialty and level 14 ability, making it a great endgame job for those willing to grind all jobs to max.

Compared to Final Fantasy games, Bravely Default's Freelancer is a blend of whatever the default is, Onion Knight, and Mime.

The two icons associated with Freelancer. The Miscellany icon is also used in Final Fantasy 14 to denote newbie status.

Masters of none. Cs in all stats set Freelancers back.

Blue are support abilities, red are skill abilities.

Level 1 - Examine: Display enemy information, including HP, elemental weakness, and family.
Level 2 - Treat: Restore HP of one ally by 20% Unaffected by silence.
Level 3 - Divining Rod: Displays number of unopened chests in dungeon. (Cost: 1)
Level 4 - Dungeon Master: Avoid negative effects from traps. Applies to all allies. (Cost: 1)
Level 5 - Mislead: Lower chance of being targeted by enemy.
Level 6 - Prayer: Make chance-based abilities 1.5 times more likely to succeed for ten turns. (8 MP)
Level 7 - MP 10% Up. (Cost: 1)
Level 8 - Endure: Raise physical and magic defense by 25% for four turns, up to 150%.
Level 9 - Poison Immunity. (Cost: 1)
Level 10 - JP Up: Increase JP earned by 1.2. (Cost: 1)
Level 11 - Flee: Running from regular battles always succeeds.
Level 12 - Lure Enemy: Double encounter rate. (Cost: 1)
Level 13 - Stand Ground: 75% chance to survive K.O. with 1 HP. Will not occur if HP is already 1. (Cost: 3)
Level 14 - Mimic: Perform same action as previous one (from you or ally), with no HP/MP/BP/item/PG cost.

Though they have some neat skills -- Divining Rod is useful if playing without a guide, and JP Up is a must for later game grinding -- Freelancers have relatively little to offer in combat. There is little reason to use freelancer aside from mimic, but mimic alone can make it worthwhile. The lack of a cost for the mimicked ability lets characters pull off otherwise impossible series of actions.

Even with all jobs maxed, individual stats will still be higher on other jobs, but Freelancers can benefit from having high stats across the board.

Freelancer uses everyone's default outfits.

Greyarc fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 24, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
By the way, a little tip. If you're planning to have this game up on the LP Archive, I believe the script used for archiving does something like look for every post by the OP with more than two images, and use the first bolded sentence as the page header. So it might be a good idea to go back and add in Entry X: Entry Title here to the top of your updates and get in the habit of doing it for future updates.

Just a little suggestion.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

You can change the encounter rate at will, right? Don't see much point in Lure Enemy...

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

serefin99 posted:

You can change the encounter rate at will, right? Don't see much point in Lure Enemy...

Probably a holdover from the original game, where the encounter slider didn't exist. Said skill doesn't exist at all in Bravely Second.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That's a pretty acceptable set of generalist skills. It seems worthwhile to hang out in Freelancer now and again, especially if you've got some nice equipment that doesn't really work for another job.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Probably a holdover from the original game, where the encounter slider didn't exist. Said skill doesn't exist at all in Bravely Second.

But does it STACK with a maxed encounter rate for quick(er) grinding?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Junpei posted:

But does it STACK with a maxed encounter rate for quick(er) grinding?

Yes.

And yeah, while Freelancer has stuff going for it, it's not really comparable to Final Fantasy 5's version. Though that's for the best, since there should be reasons to actually stay in the actual jobs. Freelancer is also a little odd in that the JP cost from leveling up to 13 to 14 is much bigger than the other classes.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Glazius posted:

That's a pretty acceptable set of generalist skills. It seems worthwhile to hang out in Freelancer now and again, especially if you've got some nice equipment that doesn't really work for another job.

Mimic is pretty much all you'd use it for late game, though it has some serviceable early game skills as well.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Just a little suggestion.

Ah, didn't know. Added them in. Thanks!

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yes.

And yeah, while Freelancer has stuff going for it, it's not really comparable to Final Fantasy 5's version. Though that's for the best, since there should be reasons to actually stay in the actual jobs. Freelancer is also a little odd in that the JP cost from leveling up to 13 to 14 is much bigger than the other classes.

There are some huge differences to be noted between FF5 and Bravely Default in regards to their job system, which makes the BD Freelancer way less wackily overpowered with enough work (but don't worry, there's plenty of other wackily overpowered bullshit you can pull instead :v:).

When you assign a skill in Final Fantasy 5, you get a bonus to the relevant stats. So if you stick Black Magic on a Monk, for instance, you're reasonably proficient at tossing spells. Not as good as a real black mage, as I recall, but you aren't completely wasting your time. That is not the case here: if you stick Black Magic on a Monk in Bravely Default, your magic is poo poo, and you're wasting your time.

Speaking of stats, that's another big one. Mastering a job in FF5 meant that your stats were set at the Freelancer's stats or the stats of the job that's best at it, whichever is better. So if you mastered Monk for the best strength and vitality, Thief for the best agility, and Summoner for the best magic, then you were basically as good as you were going to get and didn't need to worry about jobs like Berserker (which, spoiler alert, is not in Bravely Default because a class that takes away control of your character to headbutt the Attack option is lovely and uninteresting). Bravely Default, through the Freelancer's "Late Bloomer" ability and the passive support ability system, incentivizes you to give a poo poo about all the jobs.

And, of course, the biggest one: FF5's Freelancer wasn't really much of a job. It didn't have its own ability, it just had two slots for active abilities of your choice, the ability to equip anything, and the passive skill of every job you mastered. Freelancer is actually a job here, and you can get all the active abilities you've learned from another job in one lump by equipping the relevant thing, but the fact that you still need to equip support abilities helps curb some of that insanity.

As for Freelancer 14 being way more expensive than getting to 14 with other jobs, it's because Mimic is that good.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Berserker was good in X-2.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
All party members in, time for character music themes!

Tiz
Agnès
Edea :krad:
Ringabel

Shouldn't have spoilers unless you know Japanese. There used to be some cool translations of the lyrics on youtube before the media company that owns the music pulled all the videos.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Have we unlocked the special attacks yet?

Edit: We have not.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 25, 2017

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Hmmm...makes me wonder if JP Up stacks on all party members to a (potential) max of 1.8x JP per battle if all four of them have it equipped at one time. Which would make it -really- handy, otherwise it increases JP gains, but not a necessity by any means to have equipped at all times.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Entry 12: Mortal Heroes

The city of Caldisla is under alarm. No civilians around, only what seem to be wounded or dead soldiers.

Our destination is the top of the hill.

No need to worry about Adventurer, he'll be fine; Adventurer worries about us.

The Caldislans, however, seem to need help more than the party.

Trying to use the inn provides a small dose of reality: no time to rest. Can't blame Karl the innkeep. His son's the one fighting at the palace.

On the way up the hill, buy out all black magic at the shop so Tiz can fight. Most enemies in the game have an elemental weakness, so black magic can be very useful.

Also buy the last two items from the armory. Can't be too careful.

Having finished their shopping detour, the party runs up the rest of the way to the palace. To find...

Tiz runs over to a soldier lying on the ground.

Hey! Hold on, man! Please!

The soldier does not respond.

The screen pans over to the left...

Nh... Aaah! I'm... I'm unmanned... Ha ha... Pathetic...

Don't bother... Leave me. The king! They...nragh! They took His Majesty. That man... Heinkel... My sword didn't so much as scratch him...

Tiz... I ask this knowing it's an unreasonable demand...

You're the... The only one I can...

I'll bring the king back, I swear it! ...Be at peace, Owen.

Thank you... Thank...

After a moment, Tiz returns to the others.

......I can't believe this! How could Heinkel be so cruel?

What do we say to the innkeep? What can we say...?

Owen saved you after Norende fell. Took you in... And since then, his father has shown you and me both a great deal of kindness.

I'm no different. Owen trusted me, despite my circumstances. Helped me get by... As for what to tell his father... It's hard.

He deserves to know his son died nobly. Fighting bravely.

I know that. I know...but what small comfort...

"Small comfort"...!? I think--

Edea, try to understand. Tiz and Ringabel are only thinking of the innkeep's feelings...

That's exactly what I'm doing!

Is it not a comfort to know his son fell defending his king?

Enough. ...Just forget it.

I'll talk to him. Let's get moving.

Tiz...

This is a case where it's good to have read D's Journal first. The Enigmatic Writings have a lot to say about the Caldisla residents, including Owen.

The point should now be clear by now, though: this game is willing to not pull punches.

The other soldiers seem to be beyond help.

There's nothing more we can do here.

He died for his king, though, eh? A brave warrior's death? ...I'm sure he had no regrets.

Karl walks away.

Come! Let's march on the Lontano Villa this instant! I'll lead the way.

Why the silence? Surely you can't just sit by and let Heinkel's crimes stand!?

Heinkel's crimes are the duchy's crimes. You are a part of those same Eternian forces. ...We cannot trust you.

You cannot. In my heart of hearts, you frighten me. The same as Crowe, or Heinkel, or the others...

But I make for the villa with Tiz alone.

Although two invading the villa seems suicidal (though par for the course for these guys), it's reasonable to be suspicious of such an abrupt turncoat.

On the way out, Edea runs into Ringabel.

Out of my way!

Ringabel steps aside.

So much for having a full group. Though switching to Edea of all people is unexpected.

Even Airy is missing.

Edea refuses to reenter the inn.

But although distressed, she isn't as crazy as Tiz.

The palace is blocked off at the moment. Understandable. Shops are closed, too. So where can she go...?

The graveyard.

Next: A serious discussion on priorities, the loss of loved ones, and trout sandwiches.

--

Event Viewer
Main Scenario:
Owen's End
Crystal-Headed Girl!

Party Chat:
Edea's Misunderstanding

D's Journal: Captain Owen posted:

pg.3: As we battled the black mage Ominas Crowe at the ruins of Centro Keep, the leader of the Eternian Sky Knights attacked the palace of Caldisla. THe king was kidnapped by the knight Argent Heinkel. As Tiz arrived, Captain Owen entrusted him with protecting the king and the future of Caldisla, before breathing his last.

D's Journal: Heinkel the Knight posted:

D's Journal: Lontano Villa posted:

Lontano Villa: Situated on the northern end of the continent of Caldis and famous for its scenic views, this villa is used for receiving foreign dignitaries and escaping the summer heat. It was once a stronghold of the forces opposing the Caldislan royal family, and many fierce battles were waged around Centro Keep, along the main road.

Greyarc fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Mar 18, 2017

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Kemix posted:

Hmmm...makes me wonder if JP Up stacks on all party members to a (potential) max of 1.8x JP per battle if all four of them have it equipped at one time. Which would make it -really- handy, otherwise it increases JP gains, but not a necessity by any means to have equipped at all times.

JP Up only works on the character that has it equipped.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

And here's the sad theme of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiaRzV7HmfM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Ah, our first falling out. Can't expect everyone to get along all the time.

I actually like the game's story most of the time.