Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Edea, you don't seem to be cut out for soldiering. As far as I can tell, the Sky Knights haven't harmed civilians, only soldiers. Your country is at war with Caldisla, which means soldiers from both sides will kill each other. It sucks, but soldiers and the king are legitimate targets in a time of war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I know it's because this image is 4 individual character portraits photos photoshopped together, but the inconsistent lighting and wind sources is bothering me way more than it should.

Interesting game so far; I wasn't expecting the viewpoint to switch to Edea. It and the sequel are only on the 3DS, right? Does the touch screen ever become important enough to make a port problematic?

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFBhR4QcBtE

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

hey girl you up posted:

Does the touch screen ever become important enough to make a port problematic?

Not to my recollection.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

I think the touch screen is only used for Airy, and Norende.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I believe it's also used as an alternative method of input during battles for convenience if needed.

Either way, it doesn't get used that often.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Owen's death scene was a rather silly instance of gameplay and story separation for me, since I had Tiz as a white mage at the time. Pretty sure he had plenty of MP left, too.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

White magic has a long history of not being able to prevent death in the Final Fantasy series.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

There's actually a Final Fantasy game, Final Fantasy V to be precise, where the party tries to use Curaga, Life, a Phoenix Down, and an Elixir on a dying party member.

It doesn't take.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

There's actually a Final Fantasy game, Final Fantasy V to be precise, where the party tries to use Curaga, Life, a Phoenix Down, and an Elixir on a dying party member.

It doesn't take.

I was angry it didn't. :(

Magic is useless when you really need it.

xxarmageddonxx
May 17, 2012

Blademaster_Aio posted:

I was angry it didn't. :(

Magic is useless when you really need it.

Final fantasy 7 anyone? Plot magic is rampant in FF games

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
By the way, I've done my homework on this game, and the letter rankings for stats are wrong. The weapon ranks are correct, however.

Basically, each Job imposes stat bonuses and penalties on the base character stats. The Freelancer job keeps all stats at their base values before Late Bloomer is factored in. Each job mastered equals an extra 1% bonus for each stat. With all jobs mastered, your stats across the board are 24% higher than their base values.

In the future, I'll list the stat bonuses and penalties as so:

40% means that the stat is at 140% of it's base value, or multiplied by 1.4
-20% means that the stat is at 80% of it's base value, or multiplied by 0.8

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Edea, you don't seem to be cut out for soldiering. As far as I can tell, the Sky Knights haven't harmed civilians, only soldiers. Your country is at war with Caldisla, which means soldiers from both sides will kill each other. It sucks, but soldiers and the king are legitimate targets in a time of war.

It doesn't really seem like a fair war though given how Caldisla doesn't seem to have a particularly strong army or any fortifications. I'm siding with Edea on this, the Sky Knights are monsters, and Agnes is also right to be wary of Edea because of that. The Sky Knights' behavior also reflects VERY POORLY on Eternia, not that they weren't already shaping up to be of the classic "JPRG Evil Empire" variety.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Got a fair amount of use out of Freelancer, as I recall. Or at least the first 4 levels of it anyway. If you're playing without a guide, Examine and Divining Rod are both handy, while being able to no-sell any trap in the game for the entire party at the cost of one ability slot trivializes certain dungeons. One (non-spoiler) thing of note for the sequel is that they pared down the ability list for each job from 14 down to 10. Which sounds limiting, but it was mostly the ailment immunity/elemental resistance stuff. Positive change imo; leads to fewer boring job level ups.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, I didn't really miss the Abate (Element) skills in Bravely Second.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I love that for Edea, going into a full rage means rounding up a group of bystanders and shouting at them until they agree to murder the offending person. People must be terrified of her back in Eternia.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

People must be terrified of her back in Eternia.

Well yeah. You did see how Ominas reacted when she began counting down, right? :v:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Ominas was a Sky Knight too and he explicitly targeted civilians instead of military targets.
After that, well, as she said summarily executing your superior officer is kinda treason even if you had a good reason for that, and somehow I doubt Eternia signed an equivalent to the Geneva convention.

Although, I doubt there was a formal declaration of war between Eternia and Caldisla, the situation is that the Eternian forces were pursuing the wind vestal and didn't bother to stop for little things like the sovereignty of another nation. Unprovoked attacks were seen as a very bad things even back then; if this was a Paradox game Eternia would have gotten an almost full "badboy" and a medium stability hit from just this action.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I guess Ringabel doesn't want to interfere with any dramatic death scenes by tossing off a Cure and being all gauche.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Entry 13: The Party, Take Two

Alone on a grim night, in territory hostile to her mere hours ago, Edea wanders into a graveyard.

The camera pans to the left.

Edea walks over, interrupting Karl's reverie.

What? Oh. Yes, of course.

But he loved this land more than anyone. He wanted more than anything to defend it, so he trained and trained... Even after he'd joined the royal guard, even after winning half the honors the king can bestow, he trained.

And everyone knew it. In a few years, his efforts had made him captain. The boy was something else. My pride and joy.

...But I'd rather he lived.

It's terrible, sir.

If the boy had stayed home... taken over the inn. He's still be...

What other lies have I been told? The only thing for it...

We switch back to the inn.

The suspicions of a beautiful lady are dire poison to a gentleman such as myself.

Our paths part with Edea's here. What reason have you to come with us?

Will the two of you be enough to storm the enemy's hold, though? This knight is supposed to be terribly strong...

Still, we've no choice. Let's go, Agnès.

...I had thought I spoke it clear before. This is farewell.

Yes, it was all very well put, but I'm coming along anyway. I'll get no sleep till I've seen these scoundrels squished!

Go with me, however, and you'll have VIP access. Use me. I welcome it. So, please...

I'm all for it! The more allies the better, I say!

Well, I do not. Even before the matter of trust, I cannot involve anyone more. The fault for all of this is mine, and no one else's.

You've no cause for worry, Agnès. I guarantee it.

Its pages are prophecy, infallible and true.

And what of you?

Me? An apt question. It seems I did not merit mention-- a grave oversight, I'm sure.

Or am I to miss out on the adventure? A crueler fate than I could bear!

Ringabel shrugs.

I'm in favor of taking them with us, too. I think they'll be a help to you, Agnès.

Done! Excellent! Let's be off!

But first, they sleep.

Agnès and Tiz seem to have fallen comfortably into the roles of leader and bodyguard/advisor, respectively. Unbeknownst to them, Edea's main motivation has been revealed as justice, especially when other people are being victimized. Ringabel, meanwhile, is just a ditz.

Next morning:

The band's back together, but how is the town doing?

Those Sky Knight rats invaded. I'm ashamed to say we couldn't keep them out of the city...

They were...too fast... We couldn't... Nngh.

The remaining soldiers are taking it hard. Notably, the palace is under heavier guard than before.

A little late, though. The throne is empty. Would more soldiers have helped against Heinkel? Unless it was an entire army, probably not.

Last I heard, the Eternian airship made north for the Lontano Villa.

By the looks of it, it's up to the party to get marshmallow king back again.

At least the Adventurer is rooting for us.

The party heads out into the field and immediately triggers a tutorial.

The Special Moves function is now open. It's accessible via 'Special' in the battle menu or party menu.

Special moves are essentially limit breaks you can pull off after fulfilling certain requirements. Which requirement varies based on weapon. In addition to a big attack, the whole party gets a significant buff for a period of time. This period is marked by special music -- once the music stops, the buff ends as well.

You can customize special moves using commands obtained from Norende. You can also change the phrases the characters state during their attacks. So yes, if you wanted to make Agnès shout out strings of obscenities, there's probably nothing stopping you. I won't be doing that.

Speaking of Norende, here's an example of receiving free items when you look in on the village. This happens fairly often once the relevant shops are upgraded.

Yes, not too bad, I suppose.

I trust you have a draw planned out to bring in the crowds, Tiz?

A draw?

Sure. An attraction. A selling point. You need people to come here, right?

Well, think of that the other way around. Norende needs to be a place people want to go.

Ahh, good point! Hmm, a draw... Someplace lots of people will want to go...

Ooh! What about a special move shop? That sounds exciting, right? Anybody?

Hmm, but is there really much consumer demand for special moves?

Well, sure! They're fun, and flashy, and...fun? I bet warriors the world over would flock there to shop!

Enough to fill a village? You think this shop would have broad enough appeal?

Uh...sure? Maybe? I mean, special attacks! You have to meet special conditions before using them!

And they're extra powerful!

Hmm, you make a strong case. Perhaps I'll plan to take my next date to this shop of yours...

D-date!? (Just what kind of brawler is he planning to go out with?)

The game never explains how the party is interacting with Norende. Tiz is probably exchanging letters with the town while he travels. Best not to think about it too much.

The group has one more significant chat on the way to Centro Keep.

Mind if I ask what?

Hm? Oh, yes. I'm not sure. I'll open it now.

Ooh, he packed us lunch! The basket's near bursting.

It looks amazing. And he made enough for all of us...

Mmm, looks like emperor trout sandwiches. Caldisla's finest! What a treat!

He made one special for you, Agnès. "For the young lady who doesn't eat meat," it says.

Grilled leaf buds and spring mushrooms...and apricot jelly for dessert!

What did you get, Edea?

Looks like I got what you did, plus the same dessert as Agnès. And...

And a letter.

Yeah...

Hm? Let's have a look. "Your words were a great comfort, my dear. Best of luck in battle, and best of health!"

...Alright. Let's eat, then it's off to save the king!

Right!

Detailed descriptions of food alongside cheery talk of single-handedly saving kingdoms. See, the game doesn't just take from Final Fantasy, it also takes from Tales games.

They enter Centro Keep and go to the closed north exit.

Let me make this very clear, though. If you've any thoughts of storming the place head-on, be rid of them now.

I'll say I've taken you prisoner. That will buy us entry. Once we're inside, the battle's all but won. I even know where the king is likely held.

No. I thank you for your assistance. I have my doubts, but I see no alternative.

Before moving on, Tiz hesitates.

Isn't there a chance they'll know you've defected?

I don't think there's any worry of that yet. If word had reached them, the road to the villa would have been swarming with guards.

That's how Heinkel operates. Thorough and merciless.

I see. So, what of after we reach the villa, then? Any bright ideas?

If the man running the place is as careful as she says, we can't expect to--

Heh heh, I may not look it, but I'm actually a fairly respected figure.

I can talk our way past a couple of rank-and-file sentries no problem.

A respected figure, eh? I smell a story here. Care to elaborate?

Er, yes, well... You know. I just have a...a way about me, I suppose.

In that you're a terror when you're mad, or that you rush in blind, or that you ignore authority?

Excuse me! Isn't that a little harsh, Ringabel? ...And all of the above.

Hey, at least she's on our side and can come up with a plan other than 'frontal assault'. The party moves out and into the fields of the northern half of the continent.

The road between Centro Keep and Lontano Villa is packed with new monsters.

With a black mage on the team, knowing elemental weaknesses now comes in handy. Orcs are weak to fire.

It's a generic anime companion critter.

At night, the party faces ghosts and strange glowy magic balls.

Lanterns will come in a variety of elemental flavors.

Eventually, the party reaches Lontano Villa. This is the road to Norende mentioned earlier as being the main path to the village. It was inaccessible due to the destroyed bridge at the time of the Great Chasm's appearance.

In the upper right there's also some sort of obelisk on the peninsula. Can't do anything with it.

Time to give it a try.

Wait, that... That woman! The vestal of wind!

But what of Crowe?

He... I'm afraid he fell before the wicked vestal's cruel magic.

But it was his sacrifice that allowed for her capture.

I see... Well, I am glad milady is safe. I should expect no less from the grand marshal's daughter. I'll have the gate open straight away. Just a moment!

The soldier walks off.

The single line dot-dot-dots in this game are always exactly six dots. :eng101: Also, let's hope Agnès and Squall never meet.

Er, Agnès? Look, I didn't...

Try to understand, Agnès. Edea didn't mean anything by it. She had to say that.

Right, exactly. It was just a ploy to get us inside. And it worked, didn't it?

But still, I didn't have to be so... I'm sorry!

No, it's not that... I am not upset with you, Edea.

But the way they felt about the vestal...about the Orthodoxy. It frightens me.

You spoke in horrific terms, and they accepted it without question.

Which means it was in line with their expectations of the vestal...

Just what has happened in the duchy to cause this hatred? Eternia was once the seat of the Crystalist Orthodoxy...

Can people's hearts really change so dramatically?

Still, I'm sorry. I didn't have to say as much as I did.

You said enough, and I thank you for it. Do not feel bad, please.

Alright. Time we all focused on the task at hand!

Right!

Next: A vestal, a shepherd, a traitor, and a playboy walk into a villa...

--

Event Viewer
Main Scenario:
Father and Child
A Long, Long Journey's Start
Infiltrating Lontano Villa
Lontano Villa

Party Chat:
Norende's Draw
A Father's Care
But You're a Traitor
A Hard Discovery

D's Journal: Karl the Innkeep posted:

pg.2: The palace was attacked by Argent Heinkel, leader of the Eternian Sky Knights. He slew Owen, and carted the king off to Lontano Villa in his airship. The innkeep was left despondent at the death of his son.

Greyarc fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 28, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

And here is where I'd share the special attack themes if my phone didn't post links oddly onto SA.

Look forward to them and know that Ringabel has the best one.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

In Norse mythology, Ratatoskr the squirrel ferries messages up and down the World Tree between Nidhogg the serpent at the roots and the eagle that lives at the top. He does not always report the messages accurately, due to a bad memory, a keen sense of mischief, or both.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

It never goes well. Ever. You can tell the enemy knows we are here.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Alright, I'm home now. Before I post the themes, though, there's one thing I should note.

Greyarc posted:

Special moves are essentially limit breaks you can pull off after fulfilling certain requirements. Which requirement varies based on weapon. In addition to a big attack, the whole party gets a significant buff for a period of time. This period is marked by special music -- once the music stops, the buff ends as well.

The music that plays does denote the length of the buff, BUT if you activate another special attack and start up another character's theme, that resets the duration of the buff so that you don't lose it. I think it also increases your stats as well? Dr. Fetus probably knows more about it than I do.

There are no unique Limit Breaks per character; they all share the same ones, though the ones you use differ depending on weapons.

On the topic of Limit Break quotes, I set Edea's special attack quote to "Mrgrgr!" and her healing quote to something else that'll come up in a few chapters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCa17qVOTNM (Tiz - You Are My Hope)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVSrT5gC_NE (Agnés - Wind's Course)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl363Wh4ghU (Ringabel - Love's Vagrant)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiXfl0EIvxw (Edea - Baby Bird)

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 28, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Each special attack has a special buff that will be applied to your party for the duration, yes.

They're significantly more useful in this version of the game, since you couldn't fast-forward battles in the original release. So you can take a lot more actions while the song buffs are active.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
I had forgotten that each character had an instrument associated with their character, so it was very nice to hear the songs again.

Tiz - Penny Whistle
Agnes - Violin
Ringabel - Accordion (Bahahaha)
Edea - Soprano Saxophone

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Let's Learn Jobs: Monk

Monk is all about dealing physical damage, but suffers from weaker defenses (slightly compensated by high HP), often self-destructive attacks, and zero proficiency with magic.

Bravely Default's monk is a direct successor to Final Fantasy monks. They are good at punching things dead while wearing little clothing.

Monks punch things. The game wants to make sure you know.

Their ideal weapon use is limited to staves and knuckles; not listed here is the option of going bare-handed, part of the monk specialty.

Blue are support abilities, red are skill abilities.

Level 1 - Strong Strike: Attack with x2 attack power but hit chance halved.
Level 2 - Invigorate: 75% chance to raise physical attack by 25%, up to 150%, for two turns. Failing damages user for 20% of their HP.
Level 3 - Inner Alchemy: User recovers from Poison, Blind, Silence, Dread, and Confuse. (5 MP)
Level 4 - HP 10% Up (Cost: 1)
Level 5 - Knuckle Lore: Allows other jobs to equip the monk specialty. (Cost: 1)
Level 6 - Hidden Dragon: Attack last in turn but for 25% more damage.
Level 7 - Qigong Wave: Attack with 25% more damage and pierces Default. (12 MP)
Level 8 - Blind Immunity (Cost: 1)
Level 9 - Physical Attack 10% Up (Cost: 1)
Level 10 - HP 20% Up (Cost: 2)
Level 11 - Pressure Point: Attack with x2 attack power that ignores target's physical defense. (1 BP)
Level 12 - HP 30% Up (Cost: 3)
Level 13 - Phoenix Flight: Attack which reduces user HP to 1 and deals damage to target equal to HP lost.
Level 14 - Natural Talent: Physical attack doubled when user has nothing equipped. (Cost: 1)

Monk abilities make for a solid physical attacker, but to get the job's full benefits, HP and defense (and clothing, apparently) must be sacrificed. Frontal assault indeed.

Though they have a way to negate status effects (self-only), they work best with a healer to back them up and keep their large HP pool refreshed.

Going bare-handed will often be better than using weapons. Also useful for allowing non-monks to do decent weaponless/knuckles-based physical damage.

The guys wear Barras's outfit while the gals wear the sleeveless upper halves of martial arts uniforms (usually there's matching leg coverage).

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
Monk true stat modifiers

HP: +30%
MP: -30%
STR: +30%
VIT: +20%
INT: -40%
MND: -20%
DEX: 0%
AGI: +20%

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What is the icon for the martial arts command supposed to be? I can't quite make it out.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Glazius posted:

What is the icon for the martial arts command supposed to be? I can't quite make it out.

I think it's supposed to be an in-motion Karate Chop, but it's pretty unclear.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Pretty sure it's a fist viewed from a side angle, like it's mid-uppercut. The red part on the bottom is the wrist.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Definitely a fist, viewed from the back of the hand.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Greyarc posted:

The game never explains how the party is interacting with Norende. Tiz is probably exchanging letters with the town while he travels. Best not to think about it too much

FM communication.

What does FM stand for? loving Magic, of course. :v:

Greyarc posted:

A respected figure, eh? I smell a story here. Care to elaborate?

Er, yes, well... You know. I just have a...a way about me, I suppose.

In that you're a terror when you're mad, or that you rush in blind, or that you ignore authority?

Excuse me! Isn't that a little harsh, Ringabel? ...And all of the above.

:allears:

Never change, you two.

As for Argent Heinkel's name... less punny name and more sneaky references.

Argent is silver, of course - the color of a knight's armor. Heinkel, on the other hand, I had to look up - apparently they were a German aircraft manufacturer around WWII: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinkel :eng101:

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Entry 14: Edea and the Poorly Designed Building

Ha, naysayers. This plan is totally going to work.

Have some faith, Airy. You don't know what's going to happen.

We need to find the king.

Edea nods.

News travels fast...!

Panicking and blaming the proactive teammates isn't it, Tiz.

Mrgrgr! We beat them down!

A fight against soldiers...

Agnès showing off Default's increased defense effect...

and info on a new enemy type.

Yes, right in the middle of the enemy stronghold. We've nowhere to run.

You can't think this was my intention! I swear by my honor, this is no trap. That's the very sort of craven act I can't abide!

...... ...Let's go!

Right!

Ah well, at least the party's sticking together this time.

Surrounded by the enemy in hostile territory -- no better time to visit Norende! This nets a new item type: balsam.

Back to the matter at hand, with stealth no longer an option, we'll have to fight our way to the king and Heinkel.

Lontano Villa is an octagonal building featuring a blue-grey color scheme with dusty red highlights. About all the visuals featured in the dungeon are included in that screenshot, so just imagine that for several floors.

Why they have panthers running around here, I have no idea. Trained guard animals, maybe?

Evasion in Bravely Default works differently than simply causing an attack to whiff. In this game, each regular attack consists of multiple physical damage hits on a target. The amount of hits dished out depend on several factors: job level, the attacker's hit rate, and the defender's evasion rate among them. In a case like the panther with Footwork, even if a character gets in a hit, the damage will tend to be lower than normal because they're not hitting as many times as they usually would.

Many (all?) skills, including magic damage, are not affected by hit rate and evasion.

Some battles begin with a starting bonus for either the party or the enemy team.

Even if an enemy's normal attack pattern doesn't include Brave/Default, they will use extra turns if they're available.

On the second floor, there are two exits: downstairs or the large door leading outside.

Going downstairs completes the first floor map and gets us... another spear. It's a dead end, so back upstairs.

Heading out shows we're on the second tier of the building. Dungeon gimmicks like going outside when you don't expect it are way more exciting than they should be. Looks like there's a third tier above, too.

Circling to the other side of the villa leads to the other, previously inaccessible side of the second floor. This building design leaves practicality to be desired.

The team is comfortable bashing their way through the enemy fortress at this point, so they get to chatting.

Am I really up to the task of building it all up again?

Tiz...

There's no use in getting impatient.

The first step is to decide upon your building priorities. Knowing what needs finishing first is key to budgeting your time wisely.

That was surprisingly helpful, Ringabel!

Of course. It's the same principle as dating multiple women at once.

Ooh, I take it back! You're a pig, Ringabel.

Hmm, but what do I prioritize first?

One can never be too prepared when it comes to healing items. Perhaps an item shop would be a prudent choice?

Don't you mean armor? I feel like our defenses are a bit thin.

What better defense than a good offense? I vote weapons instead.

Hmm, they all sound tempting. Better keep thinking on what we need the most!

*Tiz sets a Sky Knight on fire and continues walking*

Last treasure of the second floor and the completed map.

White Capes being made from echo herbs makes good sense, actually. Ringabel the white mage will gladly wear this. I'm sure Edea half-wishes it wouldn't work.

The top chain bonus for winning battles in a single turn is 1-turn Hero, for 10+ battles in a row. The exp bonus is significant.

Moving up to the third floor, there's a new type of chest. Aside from being blue instead of the standard red, it's locked. For now, we can only note the location and move on.

Making our way down the center of the floor...

It seems we're close to our targets. Strange for Heinkel to just stand there. Almost as if he's waiting for someone... may as well take advantage of it.

Back to town to refresh, turn off random encounters for the trip back, and good to go. Hope the king's still waiting!

Come to save us the trouble of finding you, vestal? How very courteous. And just what are you doing here, Edea?

I'll go along with the Sky Knights' method no longer.

You've no say in the matter. Defying orders is treason, girl!

Enough! You have us. Let the king go.

First, the vestal comes to me. Alone!

I'll not keep my head at the cost of an innocent girl's!

Heinkel, you were among the highest-regarded warriors in the duchy! A paragon of chivalry! And the Sky Knights beneath you! I grew up on tales of their brave and righteous deeds...

But what I saw was a band of craven thugs! You defile the title of knight!

Green fool...

...Makes sense. Edea's the grand marshal's daughter and Agnès is the vestal, while Tiz and Ringabel are just two generic guys, so far as Heinkel knows.

This fight doesn't break 1-turn hero. Moving on.

And here I'd so hoped to resolve this peacefully and let the good king go.

Quick, after him!

For all his valor, Tiz is a bit slow on the uptake. Heinkel walked away.

The villa rooftop. To the airship berth!

Wasn't this villa a retreat for the Caldislan royal family? Why would they have a berth?

I agree, it seems incongruous.

I use "berth" loosely. They've driven an airship anchor into the building's roof.

Not much for finesse, are they?

We can discuss it later. Now, hurry! He'll get away!

Don't confuse haste for speed. We need to be smart.

Right, I know... I know, but I just can't forgive what Heinkel's done.

He's a knight who has ground chivalry into the dirt!

As I recall, knights are called to serve as the sword and shield of the weak.

Not to threaten the public, or burn down homes, or abduct royalty...

I am in agreement with you, Edea. This man is no knight.

Perhaps our views are more similar than I had dared believe. For now, let us hurry.

Agnès...!

To the roof, then!

The party looks like they're finally on their way to being a real team.

Airy's ticked off, too.

In the room where Heinkel was waiting, another door leads outside to the highest tier of the villa.

Circling around the building leads straight to the airship. Heinkel's got nowhere to run this time.

Next: The Intro's finale!

--

Event Viewer
Main Scenario:
When Stealth Fails
This is No Trap
Chivalry Lost
Heinkel's Escape

Party Chat:
Operation: Norende Rises
Edea's Ire

D's Journal: Heinkel the Knight posted:

pg.2: A 42-year-old man from Hartschild. Named Argent Heinkel, he is holder of the knight asterisk, and head of the Eternian Sky Knights. A commander who is both ferocious and meticulous with detail, he excels at blitz attacks.
--------------------------------
Dislikes: Etiquette, celery

pg.3: We headed to the stronghold of the Eternian Sky Knights at Lontano Villa to rescue the kidnapped king. Heinkel had his underlings keep us busy while he retreated to his docked airship with the king. Why would one with the prowess to best Owen flee from a fight?

Greyarc fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Mar 18, 2017

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

FM communication.

What does FM stand for? loving Magic, of course. :v:

And it will only get more magical as the game progresses.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
What does Ringabel, a man with amnesia, even know about dating multiple ladies at once?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

It seems like he's got the "can't remember anything before time X, but anything afterward is fine" variety of amnesia, rather than the "wake up each morning with no loving clue of where you are and how you got there" variety.

As such, he's presumably been working his way through Caldisla's women (concurrently in some cases, apparently) before joining the party.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

As a note, Carl is voiced by Paul St. Peter and Heinkel is voiced by Richard Epcar.

Kinda funny, if you're coming off of Kingdom Hearts.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

YggiDee posted:

What does Ringabel, a man with amnesia, even know about dating multiple ladies at once?

Judging by the intro, it's all he bothered to do after waking up.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

Argent is silver, of course - the color of a knight's armor. Heinkel, on the other hand, I had to look up - apparently they were a German aircraft manufacturer around WWII: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinkel :eng101:

Argent Heinkel spelled backwards is Leknieh tnegra. Knieht.

E: v Noted. It was a stretch anyway. :eng99:

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

It would be Negrale in that case with the R/G ordering.