Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Oh my God are you doing this solely through the 3DS screenshot function? Godspeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I always make Agnes the Monk here, for probably about the same reason I usually make Lenna a Dragoon in FFV

gently caress you game, you don't get to tell me which character is slightly more suited to a class

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Oh man, I forgot that the entire journal prophecy was dumped on you at the start, it was kind of a pain in the butt to go page by page on the weeny 3DS screen. Nice illustrations, though.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

hey girl you up posted:

Wow, I think this is the first JRPG I've seen where I underestimated the characters' ages.

:ssh: Everyone was aged up a few years for the English release.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
This all cements my belief that more/all JRPGs should imitate The World Ends With You's encounter system. And maybe its item drop and leveling system.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
What does Ringabel, a man with amnesia, even know about dating multiple ladies at once?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think he said he couldn't grab video, so I'm guessing he's screenshotting like a madman.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I used Bravely Second all of three times, random encounters were too trivial, while for boss fights I was having too much fun exploiting team synergy to bother. Also I forgot.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I forgot how loving perfect Ringabel is in that fancy lad merchant suit. The pompadour makes it. Forget strategy, by the latter half of the game I chose classes based on what makes the cutscenes the most hilarious.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

MonsterEnvy posted:

His own kingdom as well.

It's like keying your own car!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I bet the shoes are fine!

...so girls can more easily walk towards their doom! :unsmigghh:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's been a few years, but I remember the Ranger being a prime choice for physical attacks at this point in the game. Your accuracy is kinda crap at lower levels so Hawkeye pumps up your damage a lot, and bows are heckin' nasty this early on. Other than the Valkyrie I don't think you have any heavy hitters yet, Knights are a defensive class and generally you want a Spell Fencer for the skills instead of the stats. But now I'm trying to remember why I never used the Valkyrie? I think at the time I didn't like spending BP for attacks?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I like that they play around with the styles for classes, the Summoner is a nice change from the green robe + horn combination.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
But then you have the classic problem where the Fire Dragon that uses Fire spells is, generally, resistant to Fire.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
DeRosa uses a brainwashing cologne made of snake venom and other roofied women, I think that's worth a diversion.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Dualcast doesn't make much sense as an ability with the brave/default system, like if you want to cast two spells you can just cast two spells so I think the Red Mage's BP manipulation stuff is trying to instead get across the spirit of Dualcast. Less power overall but incredible flexibility and popping spells left and right.

Also the red velvet + rise combo makes for an amazing outfit, and DeRosa is so awful there's no guilt in killing him for his clothes.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
When you've got stuff like Revenge and Revival and BP Recovery all stacked you don't really need Dualcast, by that point you're just making GBS threads out turns.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Greyarc posted:

Slow and steady gets the work done.

Don't you get a free villager from Spotpass every 24 hours? I'm pretty sure I remember that.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Nobody in a Square game has ever used a practicality point.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If you don't know what you're doing, Swordmaster is kinda crap. If you do know what you're doing Swordmaster is more or less a kitchen sink disposal, i.e. a funnel into which monster attacks go in and sharp pointy murder comes out.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I like to think the Vampire Castle is what making everyone speak more stylishly. It's just kind of a background radiation of 'goth' that makes shadows more intense and wolves howl at dramatically appropriate moments.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Arcanist is fine but Spiritmaster sets up some real nasty combos.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I played the gently caress out of this game but completely forgot this entire data dump. Asterisks actually have an in game justification? Dude.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've seen more than a few screenshot LPs with an update replaced by 'artist's renditions' (usually due to technical difficulties, and at least once because the plot was so dumb we needed a flowchart (the MMBN LPs were loving cursed, man)) and its always delightful.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
In any given JRPG, at least 60% of the population are just goblins and/or kobolds agents wearing disguises. One month after the main plot is finished, the revolution begins.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Also they sound EXACTLY THE SAME

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Let's also not forget that sequence where Ringabel immediately needed to go offscreen for whatever reason, and then Alternis shows up to yell at the party, and then once Alternis leaves Ringabel comes back from the ship's engine room. Combine that with the fact that Alternis sounds like Ringabel shouting into a metal funnel, and most players weren't very surprised.

Also, :munch:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Dark Night was the cornerstone of my strategy for the next long while. They're shitwreakers.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think it could all work if unmasked Alternis didn't have the pompador.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I can't remember the precise combination anymore, but I had a Spiritmaster give my entire party dark absorb, then the Dark Knight used Nebula until the opposing team disintegrated. The only really awkward part of this setup was the one time I forgot to double check everyone's speed and the Dark Knight went first.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
On one hand, it's really lovely that we can't save the better Asterisk Holders (Einheria, for one) from a fate they probably don't deserve. On the other hand we get to double dip on murdering DeRosa and the creepy alchemist guy.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

ultrafilter posted:

How painful is this part to play? I could see it not being too bad or incredibly awful depending on the specifics.

Just remember that the original Japanese release didn't let you change the encounter rate.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Oh hey are we in the bit where plot happens again? Woo

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Given the initial Japanese release didn't let you turn off encounters, I am astounded it was popular enough to get an English version at all.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
See I just think of it the other way around- just how lovely a childhood does it take to turn a foppish goofball like Ringabel into an ultragoth fueled by his own suffering. Dude.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I used a Spiritmaster to give everyone elemental absorption, then had a Dark Knight spam Dark Nebula. It works except that one time the Dark Knight decided to go before my Spiritmaster and I got a TPK.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Sometimes I wonder what sort of reception Bravely Default would have gotten if it had a really straightforward narrative. Because like the graphics are cute, the job/battle system is just oodles of fun, and the soundtrack slaps. Like, it performed well enough to get a sequel, but it's not one of the games I reccomend to my friends.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I suppose I was thinking less if they unspooled this story, and more of they scrapped it and made a different one altogether. Just go the Dragon Quest route and give us a series of barely connected vignettes and a Chosen One. And bam! You're set.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Pureauthor posted:

I like how Ouroborous' dialogue makes it clear he thinks he's talking to a bunch of complete imbeciles.

Well, like, is he wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I missed out on the camera gimmick for the last fight because I inevitably finish JRPGs at 3am in the dark.