Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

More games need to use Bravely Default's encounter rate modifier. I can think of a few games where, during the endgame, you're getting into a battle every five steps practically.
Probably bias on my part having just played through it recently, but Breath of Fire 2 was terrible about this. Also: charcters of wildly varying usefulness, who also all level at different speeds (and gain no experience when not part of your 4-person party), and are all mandatory for at least one dungeon (occasionally as the sole party member). I often find myself wondering how in god's name I had the patience for it when I was 10.

tl;dr I've got gripes about BD too, but they did a fantastic job picking and choosing the classic JRPG elements to keep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

In retrospect, it's weird I had a fond impression of a game so chock full of stuff I realized was bullshit, even at that age. Good final act, though. Coincidentally, this is also how I feel about the most divisive parts of Bravely Default.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Got a fair amount of use out of Freelancer, as I recall. Or at least the first 4 levels of it anyway. If you're playing without a guide, Examine and Divining Rod are both handy, while being able to no-sell any trap in the game for the entire party at the cost of one ability slot trivializes certain dungeons. One (non-spoiler) thing of note for the sequel is that they pared down the ability list for each job from 14 down to 10. Which sounds limiting, but it was mostly the ailment immunity/elemental resistance stuff. Positive change imo; leads to fewer boring job level ups.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Glazius posted:

I can't believe it's taken me this long to realize that the Sky Knights as a whole were a workable adventuring party in their own right.
I never even thought of that, but you're right. Now you have me wondering if you could do the same with the other continents' Asterisk holders. (Spoiler: there are more than four job classes in the game.)

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Another improvement for the 2nd game in the series, then. Those penalties are either gone, or much reduced. That said, it's likely to hinder you less the further you advance in the game, both because of how the JP needed to advance ramps up, and due to later enemy encounters giving enough of it to clear the first several levels of a new job in one go.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Greyarc posted:

That occurs in this game as well.
I was talking about this game, my bad if I was unclear. Though on a related note, are you planning to make use of One Weird Trick: Chapter Four Hates It! to grind up JP when you get there. I did, and I've always been curious how it shaped my perception of the difficulty curve.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Wait, I'm confused. Doesn't it work by you assigning one of those lines for them to say? Why do half of them sound like they're all supposed to be spoken sequentially?
They are, sort of. Thing is you need to use Bravely Second once for each line, which costs at least one SP. You regain SP at the rate of one per 8 hours, so at 29 individual lines per character across 4 characters that's... 928 hours you have to leave your 3DS in sleep mode. The odds of anyone seeing an entire character's tree in one play through are vanishingly small.

Which is kind of shame, because there's a lot of funny or charming stuff in there. I note Agnes claims to know Vestal Boxing in one exchange, so Monk Agnes is especially appropriate. :v:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Ssssort of...? If I recall correctly, one of the optional dungeons gives you some of that background, but as for what they are, physically? Pretty sure they're just magic rocks, same as the crystals in FFV.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

It does run counter to the usual JRPG arc, but it's hard to argue there were no grounds for fighting them in the first place. Just... you'd expect them to be knocked out and see the error of their ways, or at least go to prison or something. And instead, they just die.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

For all the fuss they make, Miasma Woods is yet another dungeon whose gimmick is trivialized with the Freelancer's trap-immunity skill. I guess the wind's return actually is a p. sensible reason for it to now be passable, though?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Bravely Default is not exactly a groundbreaking title when it comes to gender politics, but I am interested in seeing if your reading changes down the line.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

If you absolutely must know, I'm sure there's an angry nerd on YouTube who'd be happy to relate his profanity-laced screed on the topic. :v:

This thread actually got me to dig out my old copy of Bravely Default to play along with the LP. Turns out it doesn't take long to catch up when you crank the battle speed all the way up, and turn off encounters whenever you get bored. Who knew? Changing jobs only when you get a new one--and only for one character--actually provides a measure of challenge even when you know the game inside out. I probably could have planned it better, but magic doesn't hold a candle to physical builds for most of the game, so I didn't mind having to basically drop entire skillsets. (A bow-wielding thief is really, really good for chapter 2 and a good chunk of chapter 3 as well.)

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Ah, Florem. Quite possibly the most outrageously hosed up chapter in the game, for all sorts of reasons. Although "Agnes wore sexy clothes, and it was awesome" is pretty funny, both for the delivery and Tiz's reaction. Poor boy's so panicked at the idea it doesn't even cross his mind it was obvious bullshit to everyone. It's sort of sweet. Pity hearing Agnes so close to tears rather deflates the humor. Makes me wonder how if it was intentional--flustered Agnes and verge-of-tears Agnes sounds kinda similar. Now if I recall correctly, I did the side quest in the orochi forest before Mt. Fragmentum but that one's short, and not hard to work around if you know what to expect. You can do sidequests blind OR underleveled, but both at once is nearly always a bad idea.

Alavaria posted:

Also, holder of the Sith Lord asterisk (was that choking someone to death?)
Once you see Victoria's gimmick in action, that scene actually makes sense.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Examine turns out to be a real helpful skill here, because you can keep track of Artemia's HP. Once it gets near the point where she'll start spamming Multiburst, you can Default until everyone has 3 BP saved up and rush her down before it kills you. It also clues you in to the fire-vulnerability, which you might not expect--most Asterisk holders don't have elemental weaknesses. Note that fire is traditionally the elemental weakness of Beast-type enemies in this series. Gives you an idea of just how far gone Artemia is by this point.

Anyway, I partially lied before. A Thief with a bow is a great source of damage... but Ranger is even better. The skill sets compliment each other nicely, too. Sword Mage is another good secondary, since it turns out their ability works with every weapon. You can do disgusting things when you combine elemental and species weaknesses.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Also, again, they aged up Artemia, but come on, there is no way she's 17. She's a kid.
It's a curious decision, one I wasn't aware of before now. I mean, you've all seen Artemia in action, and oh look now she's dead. She doesn't really have time to do anything controversial. Although I guess you did just attack someone having a bad trip, and murder them in cold blood. Not sure the 3 year difference does much to blunt the impact there. :v:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Once you go pitch black you can't go back. They made their choice.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The summon animations are easily one of my favorite little touches, but Ziusidra is my lest favorite because it spoils the pattern. It's just 'Shiva, but fully dressed.'

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The punchline to everything going on in Florem (though I very much doubt the phrasing was intentional) is that the country is being destroyed by literally toxic masculinity. The fact that it's caused by Red's pills is likewise probably coincidental. :v:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Interesting tidbit in their profiles at the end there: Victor likes Victoria, but the feeling is evidently not mutual. From what we've seen of Victoria I don't think she likes anybody.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Eternia, the country that's currently rampaging around killing vestals left and right, is where the Earth crystal is located. You know, where people like Victoria spend their weekends. I actually don't remember when they make it explicit, but even at this point, the odds are not exactly looking good for the Earth vestal.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Rusalka was the first major roadblock for a lot of people playing the game for the first time (myself included) back when it first came out. Seep's damage is completely bonkers, and if you survive it you suddenly have 4x as many attacks coming your way. On Hard it may 1-shot you straight through Default. The other catch is that a lot of attacks in BD that look like they're magical in nature actually do physical damage instead. Deluge is one of them, which comes as a nasty surprise if you've been trying to buff your magic defense instead. It's a good fight to break out any lightning-based attack items you've got lying around. Their fixed damage is the most reliable method of dealing with the clones.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

To be fair, her commanding officer was a huge rear end in a top hat. Chapter 3 has my favorite set of antagonists, but I loathe the backtracking. An LP is the ideal way to experience it.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Pirate's real good for bosses, less so for random encounters. You get some phenomenal numbers out of 2-handing an axe with Spellblade though.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I found Raise to be somewhat unreliable for grinding skeletons. However, you can get the same loop going via sticking Blessed Shields on all your characters. The shield's group heal is surprisingly potent, and if you target the enemies with it instead...

Also, while it sounds especially churlish when referring to a ruthlessly exploited war orphan, I do not care for Egil one bit. You end up doing a loooot of backtracking because of that kid. I've said it before but chapter 3 has my favorite group of antagonists while simultaneously being my least favorite chapter to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

It always feel weird expressing my dislike of the traumatized war orphan, yet here we are: Egil manages to get himself associated with some of the most tedious, grating backtracking sequences in the game, and I resent him for it. You can see why they made the call later but at the time it's just seems like a pointless pain in the rear end.