Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

#3 if you count his baritone, too. His voice is the sort that commands the attention of everyone in the room whenever he speaks.
It seems more unfortunate by the day that Tony Jay has been dead for more than a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

It's finally time for this Awkward Zombie gag.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

True, but it could give you Geomancy for terrains you aren't in.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

quote:

This chat is triggered only after getting the food chat in Ancheim and facing Braev. But more importantly, Tiz's findings are supported by modern science: capsaicin, which provides the pow in chili peppers, actually does create heat.
Got a source for that? I know it stimulates the neurons that detect heat or abrasion. In turn that can cause inflammation with a large enough dose, which on the one hand means more blood flow and on the other hand the possibility of a toxic interaction. But I don't remember anything about directly creating heat. What would be the mechanism for that, oxidation?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I'm curious on your thoughts of this versus Chaos Rings, another independently made Square-Enix game with a similar plot of "stop the thing that wants to destroy all dimensions". In particular I remember CR hinting at the true nature of things a lot earlier and integrating the cooperation between dimensions into gameplay rather than just a cutscene out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

At the end of the day this looks like another of Matrix Games' projects where their ambitions overstepped their abilities. It's notably better than FF3DS (and also probably an improvement on 4HOL), but at the same time you can tell they ran out of steam somewhere in Chapters 4 or 5. After that point the bosses are just a long list of remixes desperately trying to prop up a crumbling edifice of mechanics, since you're at the point where you have maximum ability to break the action economy over your knee.

Really, the fact that you can skip random encounters, and that the player base recommends it after Chapter 4, is a glaring symptom of this. If people actively try to avoid engaging with the mechanics beyond degenerate strategies, that's a sign that you need to pace those mechanics better so that players just about reach that point at the final boss. (Superbosses are fine for exceeding that, being optional content.)