Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I just caught up on this thread and I'm so glad I did before the end. You're doing a great job with the back half of this mess. All I gotta say is that the "Lying Airy"/"Airy Lies" thing on the title screen after the Airy reveal blew my fuckin' mind the first time I saw it. I'm sure other games have done a similar title/HUD/whatever-you-wanna-call-it change after a story reveal, but BD is the first place I can remember seeing it.

Faillen Angel posted:

Praying Brage has no impact on the game, save for a Japanese-only promotion that nets you something added to the English version anyways.

Yeah but it's still technically a sequel, dude. That's a pretty cut and dried violation of spoiler policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Much has been said about how the game drags on too long here, and I do agree, but I feel like a very easy fix to the script would be if they didn't spell out the Airy secret so soon, or if they had somebody more dubious or untrustworthy reveal her secret so it would be called into question. Like, instead of having the kindly sage basically spell things out for you in world 3, let the truth come from the vampire you hardly know, or from Braev, who shows some weird judgment in regard to the crystals and keeps a bunch of psychos on his payroll, so the characters (and maybe even the player) will doubt the truth. Maybe have Ringabel start getting suspicious of Airy but don't have give him straight up flashback scenes showing her being evil. I mean, no matter what, the whole thing of having an ending before the true ending means that the characters are gonna have to act dumb while the player knows the truth, but making things a little more ambiguous would make the story much better.

And, of course, you know, if they cut the world changes down to like 3.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I'm wondering how many people actually did these fights?

I remember on my playthough I just zerged the crystals because "this is the same old poo poo and I literally do not care".

I did them half because I kept (foolishly) thinking that things would be different this time and half because the refights start getting kind of interesting/creative.

But then I'm biased because I love stories that feature time travel and/or people going to alternate universes, so this game would have to truly blow to make me not like it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I wonder if there was a point waaaaay back when Airy was a fresh faced deceiver that she actually liked the party and felt genuinely close to them.

Or maybe she was always just a remorseless fairy. I don't really like the idea of that, though.

Eh, you don't really get to be a servant of a multiversal destroyer god by having compassion.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AweStriker posted:

But I'm staying until the end so good luck with that.

Well of course, you made a promise...

update 1 posted:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Even if DeRosso and Yulyana could totally just blow her up right now in the asterisk barrier.

Presumably, Airy sticks really close to Agnes in battle, and both DeRosso and Yulyana are too hesitant to risk an errant spell (or other attack) hurting their "angel".

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The Gauntlet is great, but man, some of these fights will spank you hard if you're not expecting it.

And some of them will spank you even if you are!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

1234567890num posted:

You can also have everyone else attack with Shippunjirai. That way speed won't matter. I find that looking at the speed stat to figure out the turn order isn't reliable for some reason.

Yeah, same. It's weird and I feel like there's some secret math the game is using that I can't see.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I forget the exact setup I used but the backbone was basically "Use Spiritmaster to guard team against dark damage, spam the hell out of Dark Knight's powerful total field (Dark Vortex? I forget the name) kill move. Throw in a Black Mage/Arcanist for the ol' Poison/Exterminate combo for good measure.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Huh. I totally misremembered that last round. I didn't think the no-breaks fight was optional, I forgot that Braev had his own separate posse to fight with.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I feel like the only reason the other worlds (well, past like world 3 or 4 when you figure out Airy's poo poo) existed is because the devs thought "oh hey we've got these cool new hard boss configurations the players can fight!... but we can't do that now narratively because they're all dead... HMMMM..."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
e: might've mentioned a spoiler, redacted

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 25, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Junpei posted:

Trust me, the sequel is Even Better. Won't go into detail as to why or how, but it is amazing!

Except for the music, but this game was always gonna be a tough act to follow.

Trasson posted:

Honestly, this is basically what Octopath Traveler is: modern take on JRPG mechanics (obviously not as Final Fantasy V derived as BD, but still a lot of similarities), but instead of a wannabe Metal Gear Solid convoluted slurry plot, you get a series of short vignettes that rarely try to break new ground but instead present themselves in charming and straightforward fashion.

The result? You have to try really hard to find someone who rates Octopath worse than "Interesting but wasn't what I was looking for". If Bravely Default had gone that direction it probably would have gotten regarded closer to the Chrono Trigger tier than the Final Fantasy 8 tier.

Yeah but the problem with Octopath is that the stories barely connect at all. It's nice and straightforward but on each character's quest, the other characters might as well not be there except battle. I'd rather have a plot where you feel like the characters are on the same path (and are friends) even if the plot gets a little muddled.

Also there is no pirate costume in Octopath so it is objectively a worse game. :colbert:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Not to tell you how to run your own LP, Greyarc, but you missed out on Ouroboros' neat gimmick in his final phase. He has an attack called Divergence which locks down all of a character's moves except for Default and Summon Friend. So it forces you to use the power of friendship from other worlds (in case the scene with the alternate earths saving themselves from destruction to help you fight on wasn't hitting you over the head with the message hard enough) if you want to attack. And I thought that was super cool on my first run (and count me among the others who never saw the camera showing the "Celestial Realm" due to playing in the dark).

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Feb 2, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

1234567890num posted:

This part might seems cool, but keep in mind that you can only use each attack from a friend once. That means that if you don't use the online feature, you'd end up only being able to attack 4 times and having to default for a long time. Not to mention that the attacks from Friend Bot etc are very poo poo.

Another idea that was cool in concept but with flawed execution, I guess.

Eh, it's not a move he uses often and he can only lock at most 2 party members at a time, so you likely won't notice. Also you don't have to rely on Friend-bot if you just have some friends (by which I mean finding a BD thread on a friendly forum of choice and copying a ton of friend codes off their Google doc, thereby cutting the problems of the streetpass aspect completely out of the equation! :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DeafNote posted:

So did the special movie get shown yet? Or would that be too closely connected to Bravely Second?

Greyarc posted:

Although earlier on I was open to following up with an LP of Bravely Second, the sequel, I have no plans nor time to do so at the moment. If anyone else wants to go ahead, you’ve got my blessing. I deliberately left out the teaser movie so whoever does the sequel can have a fresh go at showing that off.