Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
One particular detail I liked about Edea's intro: She only lost the fight with Kamiizumi because her sword snapped, so she was given the sword that broke it. She's a dangerous little bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Greyarc posted:

Darn, I hadn't thought of it like that. I should've kept that screenshot in. That fight scene was difficult to show without dumping in a ton of images; it really should be watched in video form.

The fight's neat to see. Edea attacks like a whirlwind and Kamiizumi just stands there, calmly defending even when Edea's doing poo poo like flipping overhead to attack from behind. Then, she charges in underneath Kamiizumi's guard, raises her sword to block the overhead strike, and her sword breaks.

Any way you could provide GIFs of stuff in the game?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I do like how they established Agnes's character. She had an army of attendants looking after her as the Wind Vestal, but she quickly demonstrates she's able to fend for herself. She even tried to shoo Tiz away rather than put him in danger by accepting his help, but he just won't let go of her so she's stuck for the moment.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Greyarc posted:

That pendant's shown up quite prominently before.

The intro AR movie is disturbing and confusing as hell, for a lot of reasons. It's the first time the player ever sees Agnes, and she's wearing the same clothes she's dressed in for the following cutscene in which the Wind Crystal gets hosed up.

The AR movie can be interpreted to represent Agnes's prayers to the crystal during its final moments, trying to call it back from the brink, which makes it particularly bothersome that she knows all her attendants are injured and dying at that very moment. :smith:

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

This really surprised me when I first played - I was not expecting innuendo that strong out of a Nintendo game. I guess I'm still used to the "CENSOR ALL THE MAYBE OBJECTIONABLE THINGS" mindset that they (apparently?) used to have, like the parrot in Skies of Arcadia: Legends losing the cigar and all the pirates drinking magic stone juice instead of rum.

One of the best moments in Earthbound was Everdred's death scene, which straight up made fun of all the censorship being enforced.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Blademaster_Aio posted:

I actually like to believe Tiz is helping Agnes just so he can forget about the pain. Like he has to be useful to someone, for some sense of purpose since he lost everything.

I always viewed Tiz as being like a puppy. He follows you everywhere regardless of whether you want him to, and regardless of how much you try to get him to bother someone else. He just won't let go :smith:

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also, someone should share the boss theme. I would, but my phone is a jerk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUNw6ka7oTE

Music to burn down all of Eternia to. :rock:

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
D's Journal is awesome and I'm curious as to how it'll be presented in this LP.

As one other note, are we going to talk about job specialties? They're often the one thing about a job that you have to switch to that job in order to take advantage of, like the Freelancer's Late Bloomer specialty.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I'm not sure Ringabel's going to like what the future has in store for him, if it involves falling in lava and then being tortured with research chemicals for a month while all his burns presumably turn to necrosis.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I love that for Edea, going into a full rage means rounding up a group of bystanders and shouting at them until they agree to murder the offending person. People must be terrified of her back in Eternia.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

YggiDee posted:

What does Ringabel, a man with amnesia, even know about dating multiple ladies at once?

Judging by the intro, it's all he bothered to do after waking up.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I had all but forgotten one little detail about combat in the game: Almost every enemy that wears metal armor, or even just holds a metal weapon, is weak against thunder. It does make thunder kind of OP in a lot of areas, though.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

I love how this song uses one of the same tunes that we hear in Edea's intro, as well as in the music that plays when fighting Eternian lieutenants.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Greyarc posted:

With that in mind, I'm sensing the creators might have an opinion about capitalism.

It's a popular topic in modern Japanese stories, even -- perhaps especially -- in media aimed at a younger audience. This interest makes sense for the Japanese, as there's an unusually clear demarcation between old and new, their own culture before and after industrialization. Unlike places that slowly and semi-amicably changed their ways, Japan's route went from old culture to Westernized culture, isolationist to international player, in an extremely short period.

It was controversial at the time, and is still considered a divisive matter. It is likely why there's a theme in much of their media about corrupted spirits -- old being corrupted by the foreign, the new. Even for those who agree with the benefits of modernization, there's a fear of leaving behind the wisdom and beauty of the old ways.

Final Fantasy 7 was heavy-handed as gently caress with the old-vs-new message, right down to the architecture -- outside the big cities, almost every house looks like it had been standing for close to a century, then suddenly had copper pipings and steamworks jammed through its roof and exterior walls. That's before you even get into its theme of "electrical power is literally killing the world."

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 14, 2017

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Glazius posted:

FFV and FFT weren't this bad, were they? Or were the sprites just too low-res?

For FFV it varied, though Tetsuya Nomura's costume designs were usually pretty tame back then.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I gave the Merchant job to Agnes when I played, and gave her Knuckle Lore on top of that. Once you see her Merchant costume, you'll know why :black101:

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Not sure if it's been brought up yet, but whenever characters talk about "pg" in the voiceacting it's pronounced "peeg." It's silly as hell :3:

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Blademaster_Aio posted:

What would you pronounce it as?

Pieces of gold, gold pieces, something along those lines? At least they're not GP being prounced as "Jeep" :v:

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
A jam and butter omelet would be pretty amazing if cooked right, though also pretty heavy on the stomach. A marshmallow and condensed milk risotto, well, that depends on the texture.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah thats called a crepe

Crepes are flour-based, not egg-based, to my knowledge. But a good point nonetheless :)

On a different note, is OP going to at least show off a usage of Summon Friend? The animation for it has a neat little quirk, if nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Thanks for showing off the Summon Friend. I found it disconcerting as hell when I realized it's the same goddamn pendant that you see in the AR movie, which also has one of the characters appearing through a portal if for a different reason.