Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Greyarc posted:

I wasn't sure how to respond to these comments, so I made a dumb comic instead:

In any case, Kamiizumi's handling of the situation has been less than ideal. The suicide-by-Edea thing is pretty likely.

In other news, provided things go okay, I should be tackling the salve-maker job entry soon.

Quoting comic for new page.

It is very powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Greyarc posted:

This game suffers from a bad case of... I want to say mood dissonance? As you say, the party's attitudes vary wildly from scene to scene. Their characters change to service whatever the plot needs to be at that moment. One of my big questions with this game, which I'm hoping the LP can help with, is whether the game's writers achieved what they intended.

That scene with Agnes crying due to being pressured into wearing a sexy outfit -- was that meant to be awkward, or was it intended as funny? Agnes the character has a strict set of boundaries which the game usually respects, yet the game's promotional art mostly consists of Agnes in skimpy outfits the character would hate. Similarly, the characters say they're horrified by war, but the whole Shieldbearer/Swordbearer conflict -- especially the canary boys part -- is treated with this odd, clinical distance, despite the characters supposedly being in the middle of it.

This game's thematic inconsistencies are nothing new, but I think they're a particularly egregious case. We'll have to get further in before we can really dig into the full extent of it, though.

In the meantime, I'm happy to see other people mulling over the plot and characters. Video games may have a history of low standards for storytelling, but there's no reason we shouldn't expect more.

Dissonant is one way to put it. I didn't know what to expect from this game until I started reading the LP and it certainly wasn't a costume party with heavy-handed morality and comically violent psychopaths being murdered for their costumes. The examinations of whether or not the writing is successful at whatever it is that it is trying to do are my favorite part of the LP so far.

Looking forward to finding out how the butler did it next update!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The ship having been a flying fortress all along makes the council look amazingly incompetent.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I wish De Rosso's name was De Folt to go along with the Braev pun.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The photoshops make these vampire castles of text much easier to digest. High tier update.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Many bits and pieces of the backstory are genuinely interesting, it's a shame the game couldn't find a better way to present them other than a giant infodump near the end of the game.

(I assume this is near the end of the game, don't correct me if I'm wrong)

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I was hoping you would get the vampire job from DeRosso and I wasn't wrong. :allears:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The original female outfit is so stupid that I would call the censorship an improvement because the belts are less noticeable. Also, at least they're wearing clothes now. It's cold out there in the mountains, woman!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I love it when stories get experimental and high-concept like how this game appears to be going. Looking forward to the next update!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I was hoping the game would pull a page from FFV (well, another page...) and take you to another world/timeline, but that seemed like too much effort and I would've settled for a time travel-themed final dungeon. I'm interested in seeing how they handle the loop and go through the previous chapters with less stupidity the benefit of hindsight.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

As an until-recently-blind LP reader, this was the first mention of the Harrowing as far as I'm concerned. It's possible I missed it (my eyes sometimes glaze over the massive walls of text, I admit), but even Greyarc can't find anything so... Bravely Default, everyone!

An excellent analysis of this game's soundtrack popped up on my youtube recommendations and welp now I'm spoiled about the end boss of the game. I appreciate this game a lot more now though! People seem down on this chunk of the game but I really want to see how it meets fails to deliver expectations!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It's such a waste that a game full of ~*+inevitable tragedy+*~ just has you redo the first half of the game with so few significant changes. Braev had a change of heart after being defeated and survived, why can't we do the same for the other asterisks?

I guess that would mean sparing DeRosa or Profiteur, but I wouldn't mind them seeing the errors of their ways and willingly going to jail or something along those lines. Though knowing this game, it'd have ended up with a half-hearted apology and a return to normalcy. Ugh.

I'm still interested though! We still have the mystery of The Harrowing (how do you speend 1800 years knowing the name of a thing but not what it actually is?) and the conspiracy theory about Airy's wings.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

They really are dropping the ball on this 2nd world thing, aren't they. It's sad to see even Dorkula is reduced to meaningless babbling.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The only thing that could've made it better would've been if Kamiizumi wasn't interested in Mahzer and had only been trying to get Braev to confess the entire time, then left town tired of them being dense as bricks.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Man, what a waste Chapter 5 was. This could've been so much more, but instead it was just filler. I guess we could argue that it drove home the point that the loop had been going for a while and that the characters (or at least Ringabel) are caught in a vicious circle... But it didn't have to make the player redo the whole game just for that.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Heinkel suiciding himself into the party for no reason is so stupid that it loops all the way around to being funny.

Actually looking forward to what Braev and Kamiizumi do this time around, now that things have started to turn out slightly different.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

After what happened with Heinkel I was a bit worried that Holly and Barras would be the exception rather than the rule, I'm glad that so far the split is closer to 50/50 on being same as old or changing meaningfully rather than 90/10.

Looking forward to Braev revealing he knew the true enemy all along and he never told us for reasons, not even when he lived.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

This is a cool twist. I figure Airy is a lot more insufferable throughout the course of the game if you're actually playing it? The occassional screenshot in the LP doesn't really convey that she's basically Navi.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Huh, I was expecting that the true end would come from ignoring the Sage and DeRosso's advice, not to need a NG+. I guess forcing you to go through at least one more crystal cycle (possibly more?) is thematic but I'm a little concerned it will feel choreish like redoing Chapter 5 was.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'm willing to forgive a lot of flight turbulence and poor execution if a story with a sufficiently cool concept manages to stick the landing.

You've got my rapt attention here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

For those who never bothered much with links to music (like me), I want to share the video that got me hooked to this game's soundtrack. It speaks volumes about this game that someone playing under 5 minutes of various tracks and talking about the way they get used got me to spend hours upon hours listening to the OST of a game I didn't even play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COgzJey4EAc&t=2s

It's a shame the game dropped so many of the balls it was trying to juggle, the core ideas are super strong and I hold a lot of respect for ambitious premises. If getting the true end wasn't so long and repetitive it made Greyarc bury the game afterwards then I'd put it on the backlog. Maybe I'll try Bravely Second?

It is particularly interesting to me because a lot of this game's issues are comparable to those of Yoko Taro's games. I think the biggest difference is that the plot in YT games is just a vehicle for the character's growth, while BD focuses much more on following the plot that makes less sense as the game goes on. The other big difference is that YT has a career's worth of experience making the repetition in his games a thematic element, often playing it up for humor or actively trolling the player.