Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Well, now, this is certainly a nice surprise; I hadn't known there was an LP of this already well underway.

For all the poo poo it's causing them now, I'd say Edea made the right call to rip off the bandage and just tell the party who she really is while they're still in safety, instead of just letting one of the asterisk holders drop that little bombshell in the middle of a fight. Though in retrospect, it's kind of weird that none of the other party members weren't at least starting to put two and two together, given how many of the enemies they've faced either know or know about Edea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Sky Knights. Duh.

Even then, though, isn't it stated somewhere or other that they only have a rather small number of them? And a decent chunk of those are personal ships for the Council of Six-That-Is-Actually-Four?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I still have no idea how the hell Zatz looks like he does, considering he's the only NPC in the game that looks like he's half-rat.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

It's just weird that they went with that for his design. Because nothing says "trustworthy ally" like "literally looks like a rat".

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, the Bravely series is basically a giant love letter to FF3 and 5 in particular.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

All I remember of that place is that they were the jerks who blew up my airship as soon as I got within city limits. :argh:

Really, though, from what I vaguely remember of that place, their conflict was surprisingly actually civil (if a tense stalemate before the heroes arrived). Whereas here... It's, uh, kind of hard to walk back from apparently slaughtering a hundred thousand people in the opening salvos of the war.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Patter Song posted:

I don't think the moral is "We've been wrong about the Eternians all along."

The Eternians are terrible, terrible people, and have murdered hundreds of thousands in Eisenberg alone using methods considered war crimes, both IRL and in universe.

Would things be better if Alternis or Einheria or Kamiizumi sat down and tried to explain what their goals were and negotiate a mutually beneficial agreement with Agnes? Quite possibly, but whatever their stance on the crystals and everything else, the Eternian military is still trying to subvert or conquer the entire world and purge an entire religious group and we'd still have to fight them in the end on those grounds.

And that's assuming there even is any common ground to be found; as far as the party is aware, their goal of awakening the Crystals is mutually incompatible with whatever the Eternians have in mind.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I mean, we've already gotten hints of that in Victoria, who's pretty casual about murdering anything that gets in her way... and is apparently one of the Grand Marshal's closest confidants.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Pre- or post-breakdown?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, in retrospect, it's weird that Kami isn't on the Council of Six Four Five, considering it's made pretty clear that he's one of the Templar's closest confidants.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Glazius posted:

Can I just say after what the original asterisks were up to in Florem it feels really weird to have our male and female leads being a red mage and a summoner?

Then again our clothing wardrobe is full of assholes, so I suppose it's kind of inevitable.

Bear in mind that we still haven't gotten the assholiest asterisks, either.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, this chapter in particular has some of the best jobs of the game... though a couple are more notable for how well their skillset supports other jobs, rather than standing out on their own merits.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Am I the only one who thought calling the child POWs "canary boys" instantly killed whatever dramatic tension there was surrounding them?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Ahh, Starkfort: the single most impractically-designed building we've seen yet.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, the inconsistency with getting enemies to prioritize attacking one person (outside of one specific ability) greatly reduces the effectiveness of at least one of the jobs you can get in the future.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

And the Sage's Staff is great for grinding in Grapp Keep. You just equip everyone with one, then set up Auto-Battle to spam the free Raise on all of the zombie enemies.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, she started out decently enough, but she just becomes more and more obnoxious with her "duty above all else" shtick this chapter.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

I think it's weird they designed all sorts of weapons sticking out of Chaugmar and then just never had it use them.

Well, of course not! He could poke someone's eye out with them!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Perhaps he was preparing to... Well, do what a samurai would be considered honor-bound to do for such a series of massive failures in his campaign, and decided to use the party as his proxy?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, Salve Maker is much more straightforward than FF5's Chemist, in large part because the combinations are actually pretty straightforward if you take a moment to read the descriptions of Compounding items, instead of having to blindly guess. Plus it doesn't have anywhere near as many oddball effects as Chemist did, like changing the level of the target.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, as much as I enjoyed this little diversion when I got to it... All the backtracking this chapter is a real drag. I'd forgive it if the game just automatically teleported you around to the plot relevant areas, but having to sail over a minute to one end of the world, then back, then to that part again, before continuing on to a completely different part just really wears down, especially since it's such a relatively minor part of the story.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Phoenix Down can’t heal a severed spine? :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, the massive tonal shifts are one of the more noticeable quirks of this series... Especially later on in the story. I still love them all the same, but some of the later moments get really jarring, and that's compared to what we've seen so far (I.E. going from shenanigans with the contest to Victoria the murderous... fox... child... furry?)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

No, the comedy option is that she's somehow posing as them both. At the same time.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Really, I think this sidequest could've been more interesting if the party wasn't immediately cleared as suspects... And things were set up so that they'd each either be at each other's throats or defending one of the others as the bodies began piling up. Or they could've caught on pretty quick that the killer was in disguise, and then made it into a game of guessing who she was prancing around as.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Given that Chapter 3 is about the party mending the distrust between them, I think it's to be expected that they want to absolve them of doubt and give them a reason to trust one another for this quest.

Fair enough! Though if it had been available earlier in the chapter, something along those lines could've tied into the themes of how the party's basically reached it's lowest point at the chapter's beginning.

...Granted, that'd make it kind of awkward if you did the team-rebuilding stuff from the main plot, then walk into that sidequest and suddenly have everyone accusing Ringabel all over again.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

No, I'd say that Braev is pretty dumb for letting a psychopathic child onto the ruling council of his country. Especially since her yes-man caretaker is occupying another seat.

Yeah, even in light of... things to come, letting her have any kind of power in Eternia is probably one of Braev's worst decisions.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Ahh, Swordmaster.

The game does have ways to let you ensure any enemy attacks will hit your designated person, but... Really, it’s a lot of setup compared to just bashing things’ faces in the standard way. But holy poo poo,Free Lunch was practically made for Pirate’s Amped Strike.

In other words, another Job that you’re probably only going to level to have an ability on another Job.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, it's kind of a shame that for all of the story importance Kamiizumi had, Swordmaster is basically the flyover country of Jobs... though it's still not the worst of them.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This is one of the most jarring things in the game for sure.

Oh just you wait. :unsmigghh:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

The airship in Bravely Second is an even more unlikely candidate, but that’s all I’m saying on the matter.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Cirosan posted:

In the OP, it's recommended that you don't play this game yourself unless you're in the mood for melodrama and repetition. Does the sequel improve upon these things? I'd be interested in playing it myself if that were the case, though I haven't played the first game and don't know much about it beyond what's in the thread.

Fair warning that literally the very first thing that comes up (before you even get to the start menu) is a short movie that spoils the endgame plot of Default.

But as others have said, it's overall much, much sillier in tone than it's predecessor, though it still has some moments of seriousness. It also made a TON of improvements on the gameplay front to make playing it much, much smoother than Default. And the main protagonist is the biggest dork imaginable.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

hey girl you up posted:

Also, either Ringabel is not Din or even Motherly hasn't seen Din's face, which I guess doesn't surprise me after this update.

I was going to say that Alternis would have to lift up his faceplate to enjoy his coffee, but now I’m preferring the mental image of him sipping it through a silly straw.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, Ninja is easily one of the best Jobs in the entire game for basically being at least good at (almost) everything. The only thing keeping it from being outright broken (like some Jobs to come) is a lack of tools for magic and healing. Even then, just having the only ability in the game that forces enemies to attack a particular friendly makes it possible for you to pull off so, so much bullshit in the battles to come.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

If you could plan them out in advance, I suppose it could be done? At least so you wouldn’t wind up with stupid poo poo like a swordmaster black mage.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

It's hard to convey just how utterly shattered Victor's voice is if you defeat Victoria first.

Speaking of broken things, we've also now got the single most broken Job in the game.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Arcanist’s only saving grace is that it’s main form of attacking is cheapest out of the offensive spellcasters... but even that’s kind of negated by Black Mage’s Osmose.

Plus it’s probably got Ranger beat for “goofiest costume”.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

...Minus the whole "enabling and encouraging a half-squirrel child to be a murderous psychopath" part.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, granted, that's more because of info that doesn't get revealed for quite some time to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Alright, fair enough, my apologies on that.