Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

DGM_2 posted:

Wasn't Child Rydia in the octopus boss fight in FF4? Ultros may have gotten his start even earlier.

Octomammoth? Yep. That octopus didn't have any notable perversion, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wanna say that I used Tiz (Performer/Freelancer), Agnes (Spiritmaster/White Mage), Ringabel (Dark Knight/Spell Fencer), and Edea (Thief/Freelancer).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Don't Forget, You're Here Forever: Let's Play Bravely Default

Also, Quad Magic was some bullshit.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 15, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

This is genuinely unsettling to see the first time it happens. :ohdear:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Have the courage to disobey.

Or default for four worlds and then get brave in the last one. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

In the false ending, Wicked Thing is used for the unwinnable fight, Wicked Battle is used for the real fight with her first form, and Wicked Flight is used for her second form.

In the true ending, Wicked Thing is used for her first form and Wicked Battle is used for her second form.

Greyarc posted:

I'll never forgive you for violating Agnès's trust!

Always the same. Always about Agnès. I hate that about you most of all!

Seriously, Tiz, mention your dead little brother that Airy made you kill. Multiple times. What the heck?

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jan 22, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm absolutely baffled by the party believing Airy would close the Chasm considering they know she's untrustworthy at this point.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The Adventurer is also the secret boss of Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light. :eng101:

DGM_2 posted:

"You might seek THEM out" suggests he hid more than one piece of gear down there, but we only find Durandal?

You can get every other weapon from here before the final chapter since you have access to Floors 1 - 9.

DGM_2 posted:

Also, is it ever explained just how the Adventurer gets around? On top of being everywhere else we go, he's just chilling in the place Yulyana has kept sealed off for centuries? Maybe that explains where the rest of the gear the sage thought was down there went.

Magic!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I don't think we're allowed to mention that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think if the other Vestals were made fuller characters in the vein of Olivia, necessitating the usage of the Bloodrose Legion and Black Blades further in the plot, and if Airy's suspicious behavior was more prevalent from the outset, you could probably have breaking the crystal or awakening it be a choice come Chapter 4 and end the game with alternate Chapter 5s.

Of course, you'd need to flesh out the Eternians a lot in that kind of story, so maybe ease off of them being giant bags of crazy from the outset?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Six more posts until the new page. :toot:

We can agree Artemia is the best side character of the Eternians, though, right guys?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Really, the biggest detriment of the plot is having the villain follow the heroes around and using that as an excuse to make everyone incapable of conversation. Why wouldn't DeRosso and Yulyana just talk with Tiz and Agnes about a plan in the cave and then the five (or six given Ringabel is around this time) just beat up Airy on the Yulyana continent?

Regalingualius posted:

That’s a weird way to spell Lord DeRosso.

DeRosso factors into the main plot, though, so I don't count him as a side character.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 29, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Perfect Airy is the reason the third battle theme is called Wicked Flight, of course. Incidentally, that song was also used in the Theatrhythm: Curtain Call.

Also, have I mentioned that it's really lame that we don't get to be Airy's friend or redeem her in the end when her master makes it clear he doesn't care about her? Instead she just ends up being a snack for Ouroboros. :smith:

That being said, while Ouroboros is just a "Woo, I love being evil for the sake of being evil" villain, I do love how much of a sassy bitch he is to the party.

Greyarc posted:

No matter how great her reverence for me, she was but a morsel for my nourishment.

You are naught but the meal before my heavenly assault commences.

I also love how he takes the appearance of notorious glutton Edea when talking about how everyone is food to him. :allears:

Zero Dimension is an instant death spell, incidentally. Despite that, getting hit by it does not count as him dealing damage to you, so you can still wind up getting a Perfect Battle achievement (or whatever it's called) at the end of the fight, as I found out when I did this battle.

Anyway, I would love to link the final boss theme right now... but I'm not going to until the next update. In the meanwhile, have these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCa17qVOTNM (You are My Hope - Tiz's Theme)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVSrT5gC_NE (Wind's Course - Agnès' Theme)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiXfl0EIvxw (Baby Bird - Edea's Theme)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl363Wh4ghU (Love's Vagrant - Ringabel's Theme)

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 29, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

To be fair, he's not wrong.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

For this fight? I only recall Airy getting healed to full twice by Ouroboros. Unless Airy getting healed to full in her pupa form was also supposed to be from him as well.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Moving to a new post!

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 31, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh boy, it's time for more :eng101:

So the Nemeses are basically enemies that alternate between a normal boss in difficulty or a superboss. Some don't have difficulty adjustments, IIRC.

Nemeses are obtained at random intervals, as well as sent by other players via Streetpass. Defeating a Nemesis causes it to disappear, and if the Nemesis was obtained via StreetPass, causes a villager to appear in Norende.

Nemesis bosses will drop stat-increasing items called "Buns". Lower level Nemesis will drop single stat buns that increase single stats, while the stronger, rarer Nemesis will drop Unearthly Buns which increase all stats. Once a type of Nemesis has dropped a type of bun the drop rate is much lower when encountered again.

Anyway, they come in three varieties!

- Enemies (typically Asterisk Bosses) that are powered up or just drop bigger rewards.
- Two teaser bosses for Bravely Second. They have their own boss music I won't link to because it's from the sequel!
- Seven important bosses from 4HoL.

I believe the former two just have flat difficulty levels.

But the seven bosses from 4HoL are seven demons who answer to the main villain of that game. I'll try to be as vague as possible in case anyone is following that LP. (It's still ongoing, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vae3ozdKPc

If you've listened to the music for 4HoL, you'll notice this battle theme is a rearrange of the random battle and normal boss themes. But not the boss theme actually used for these guys in the original game, oddly enough!

The demons also have four special Genome Drain skills exclusive to them that are not part of the journal.

- Lucifer: Not sure if it's ever mentioned in the source game, but I believe he's the leader of this mob of jerks. He uses a lot of physical attacks, uses Arrogance to debuff the party's stats while raising his own, and also is the only boss in-game that can teach the Genome Aeroja.

- Asmodeus: Typically uses status effects, primarily Charming the whole party with Lust. Can also remove party members from battle and use Thundaja.

- Mammon: The only girl of the group. Steals your BP with Avarice and also has other abilities to yank your stats. Can also use Blizzaja.

- Leviathan: No, not that one. Alternates between two modes that are immune to either physical (air) or magical (ground) damage, uses Envy to weaken your offense and defense, and also has a lot of Death based skills. Can also use Blizzaja.

- Belphegor: Lazy jerk who typically has his three kamikaze adds attack you or uses Sloth to give you a bunch of elemental weaknesses and dispel your buffs. However, he can also use Firaja, Blizzaja, AND Thundaja, making him very valuable.

- Beelzebub: Tries to inflict Confuse and Stop, but his main deal is using Gluttony to make all damage heal him instead. If you heal him too much, though, he has HP overflow and either damages or kills himself. It's great. Can also use Firaja.

- Satan: The only one without a Genome. He uses Wrath to try and Berserk the whole party, which pairs well with his passive Revenge ability from the Red Mage job. His attacks are four Battle Blade abilities that he uses depending on how much BP he has. If he has 3 BP, he will use the whole combo, which will probably kill your party. Battle Blade I hits one character at the start of the turn, I think, II is a party attack, III halves the party's HP(?), and then IV just hits everyone for 9999.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

When you Streetpass, you'll transmit a Nemesis and also pick one up.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh right, I meant to mention that. You can just steal the special Elixir from Mammon (two if you use Rob Blind) and then run away. Rinse repeat.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, there you have it. That's our story. Tiz is dead. Good night!

So, which DeRosso died with Ouroboros? The one from the final chapter? The one we knew in Chapter 4?

Also, why the meta aspects? The Summons looking like technology was neat (Ziusudra aside), but I don't understand the necessity of involving the player.

Ouroboros was a terrible villain. Never been a fan of "Muahaha, I am evil because reasons." unless they're charismatic enough to balance that out. Kinda like Kefka in VI. Even then, he has a backstory that he was mentally broken by the magitek procedure that give him his abilities.

Also, Airy had a sister. So Cryst Fairies are real? Because Olivia seemed to imply she had no idea what Airy was talking about. But if there's more than one, then... :psyduck:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 1, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, it takes about four playthroughs to get all of the cutscenes in the journal. Not full playthroughs, fortunately, but still.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'd be happy to explain that detail if/when we get a Bravely Second thread.

And also the prequel manga for Bravely Second that explains what happened to some characters.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

Really, the fact that you can skip random encounters, and that the player base recommends it after Chapter 4, is a glaring symptom of this. If people actively try to avoid engaging with the mechanics beyond degenerate strategies, that's a sign that you need to pace those mechanics better so that players just about reach that point at the final boss. (Superbosses are fine for exceeding that, being optional content.)

Yeah, that's something I'm kinda torn on. If you have the ability to turn off random encounters and people praise it, isn't that a sign that maybe it's time to move on to a different form of encountering enemies?

Mizuti posted:

I have a complicated relationship with this game. It modernizes Final Fantasy 5's job and combat formula and polishes it to a mirror sheen. It's got beautiful backdrops and an excellent soundtrack. Even though the plot's a contrived mess made from the characters' inability to just talk to each other, there's lots of other things to enjoy. I 100% recommend this game up through completing the first world.

And as soon as you move onto the second world, it all goes to hell. You stop going to new places, fighting new monsters, meeting new characters, and getting new jobs. The characters' inability to talk to each other keeps getting stupider until it breaks all immersion. They could have easily compressed all the worlds down into 3 worlds and focused on making those more distinct, but they didn't. It's disappointing that this is the best a second edition of the game could do. They were given the time and money to give it another pass, and even with that, it still feels repetitive, rushed, and disjointed.

Games like this are frustrating. It was so close to being wonderful, and then the second half of it collapses. Thanks for exploring it in depth, Greyarc. It takes a long time to do that.

I feel like Bravely Second does a lot of what this game was trying to do so much better, to be honest.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It seriously cannot be understated how good the moment Tiz's theme starts playing in the final battle is.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Not to tell you how to run your own LP, Greyarc, but you missed out on Ouroboros' neat gimmick in his final phase. He has an attack called Divergence which locks down all of a character's moves except for Default and Summon Friend. So it forces you to use the power of friendship from other worlds (in case the scene with the alternate earths saving themselves from destruction to help you fight on wasn't hitting you over the head with the message hard enough) if you want to attack.

Welp. I never saw that phase.

That's pretty neat.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The end boss of Final Fantasy X wasn't drippingly evil. He was just a guy who was locked in a cycle of summoning an absurdly powerful Aeon that was used to promote a bunch of evil people's propaganda.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The end-boss of IX is just Cloud of Darkness without breasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I don't remember if it was said, but the game came with some AR Cards. The one for Tiz basically spoils that he dies at the start and ends with the player/Celestial going into his body to revive him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVGc5MyAYnc

It starts at about the 5 minute mark.

Anyway, thanks for the LP! Good luck with your next project!