Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Greyarc posted:

This device allows Bravely Second, which gives extra turns during combat. It's powered using SP, which are gained every eight real-time hours the game is in sleep mode. You can also spend real money to get some instantly, but that's completely unnecessary.

Ah, worth noting.

* Bravely Second stops time in battle. I don't think you can stop time during an enemy's attack, but you can do so during their turn if you have the SP for it.
* You can do up to 4 attacks in Bravely Second, though each will cost 1 SP, with SP maxing out at 3.
* Damage done in Bravely Second can break the damage limit and is the only way to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Wait, I'm confused. Doesn't it work by you assigning one of those lines for them to say? Why do half of them sound like they're all supposed to be spoken sequentially?

You're thinking of the Special Attacks/Limit Breaks. Bravely Second is separate and has its own dialogue.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Greyarc posted:

I like the idea of Special Attacks, but the implementation feels... sloppy?

Special Attacks are neat, I think. I used them a lot in Bravely Default, though not so much in Bravely Second.

That being said, I never really bothered to build the special attacks in a special way. I just slapped on random components and called it a day.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's useful information.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Eruza posted:

Not only does the dialogue do a great job conveying just how much of an rear end Khamer is, but his voice actor sells it too.

The King of Caldisla is a bit of a flat character that doesn't get to say much, but he serves his purpose pretty well in the plot and makes an excellent contrast to Khamer.

Greyarc posted:

Will you now end the suffering your negligence has caused to this land? To its people? Or is that beyond your abilities? Perhaps you would sooner run again? Turn away from the plight of your people?

That :geno: expression might not have been intended, but it really fits well with this situation.

Glazius posted:

So what are all these making that everybody has to turn them by hand?

It's not a spoiler, but I believe that this is answered in the next update.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 11, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I really like the clothing designs in Bravely Default/Second. Some of the outfits are a bit weird, but I think they all have a unique charm to them.

The Freelancer outfits are always pretty great, too.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The fake French accent was a very unusual choice. I guess it does help sell his Snidley Whiplash appearance, though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Blademaster_Aio posted:

This is why Mr. Profit here is trash. Un-recyclable, poisoned trash that should be eradicated from the face of the planet.

Come on, the water joke wasn't THAT bad. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I love how there's some kind of JRPG rule that female costumes can never be practical. Ever.

There's one costume in particular that I'm thinking of, but it's a long ways off.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ciggma Khint is an anagram of Magic Knight, the class Spell Fencer is based on. :eng101:

And, yeah, murdering Jackal seemed a bit excessive. Then again, one of his dislikes is "reasoning", so y'know.

Also, I'm assuming his intense thirst is because Profiteur didn't let the thieves drink from the oasis either. Seems like the kind of rear end in a top hat-ish thing he'd do.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

"The people are too poor to afford water, so I'll continue increasing the price! It's brilliant!"

He really is a Saturday morning cartoon villain.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Does the game ever acknowledge or give an explanation as to what asterisks ARE? Or are they just a gameplay thing that have no bearing in-story?
We get details as to how they were made, but no insight is given into what they are beyond "Magic rocks that let you change job classes and also made a snazzy blue battlefield/barrier".

ultrafilter posted:

I like how so far the party's heroic exploits consist of murdering people and taking their stuff.

Stealing is wrong, Jackal. Now hold still so we can kill you and steal your Asterisk.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

In case it's not readily apparent, Profiteur is a really horrible person.

:moreevil: indeed.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I don't think it's come up yet (or maybe it has and I just have a terrible memory), but Bravely Default is the spiritual successor to Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light.

Several of the random encounters are ripped from that game, and some of the job classes are as well. Merchant is one of said classes, though Takeover is clearly based around the Gil Toss skill from the Final Fantasy series.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

How the hell does Khint keep finding work if the one constant is that he runs away and leaves his employer to bite it once the danger becomes too much

It worked for Shadow. :shrug:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I really love the outfits in this game. Especially when you wear the sillier ones in seriously cutscenes.

Ringabel didn't bother me too much with all of his women talk, barring a few points in the game, though they do tone up the perverted sides of his personality a bit too much.

Still, it could be worse...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I found Thief better in the sequel, but Godspeed Strike is pretty great.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So, Yulyana.

On one hand, wise old mentor-like archetype. That's cool.

On the other hand, here's a very very VERY old man hitting on a girl (who was about 16 in Japanese, mind you) that he's known since she was a child.

This was what I was referring to by "could be worse".

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's clearly teasing. He does not expect anything.

I know, but it's still kinda ick. And as someone mentioned previously, the sudden shift from "The previous vestal died." to "The passing of dat rear end is regrettable." is really abrupt.

Blind Duke posted:

Is the man named after the continent, or is the continent named after the man

because the second sounds like somebody who's reaaaaaal full of themself

He's the Sage Yulyana because he lives in Yulyana Woods.

But it's also possible the woods were named after him, so... yes?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Glazius posted:

I wonder why the thread is bound to the vestal. ...I guess the previous vestments wouldn't have worked, anyway, even if they were intact?

Someone really should have told that to her before she tried praying to the crystal.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

that guy from FFX that says "that, as they say, is that,"

Maechen came back in X-2 and was one of my favorite parts from that game as well.

He's actually an Unsent who loved giving exposition on things so much that he continued to live for 1000 years just so he could. :allears: It's implied that he did the same kind of thing he does with Tidus for Braska's party ten years ago.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Greyarc posted:

it's the fantasy equivalent of a teacher pressuring a high school student

Persona 4 comes to mind as you say that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Woops, I've been forgetting to link the music.

I think the only new ones that have come up are the monster boss theme and Yulyana Woods, right?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufxsj552k74 (Darkness Covered Crystals)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEmLNOk87S4 (Yulyana Needleworks)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ros7EzFoixo (Third Dungeon Theme) [The rest of the dungeons in the game, barring the final one, will just rotate between the three themes already posted.]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqXQp3_msnA (Monster Boss Theme)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Scenes like that are why I can't dislike Yulyana. He has some very good advice for the party when he's serious.

Also, I had no idea about that NPC chatter regarding Orthros you posted a while back. That's pretty neat and probably an indication I should talk to NPCs more in RPGs.

And the tapping X thing is annoying. I would've preferred a cutscene.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 30, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Him using guns was great, but I would've thought that Gilgamesh already had enough arms. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wish everyone had a stereotypical snooty accent while in this job.

"I do declare, this is highly unacceptable, Mr. Ringabel."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think Airy's dialogue if you continue is something along the lines of: "Stop! That's it!" "I said stop!" "Noooo! It's too much, it's going to break!"

And then you're automatically stopped.

Also gently caress Khamer. This scene was really cathartic after all of his self-indulgent ranting.

Edit: Here are the songs for this update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_HUw7F5vQY (Agnès and Yulyana talk)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTN6uLgAW2Y (Crystal awakened)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yuvGRQbE9g (Agnès' speech in Ancheim)

Greyarc posted:

You were amazing, Anges!

Typo.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 1, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wouldn't put it past Profiteur to set up a giant monster to hike up well prices. That being said, it's a story from the Crystalist Scriptures as he notes.

And, as Greyarc said, this is the only time such a thing ever comes up. I wonder if some details were cut from the story.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Who could have guessed that the Khamer and Profiteur Merchantry was run by Khamer and Profiteur? :v:

But I really do love how the local faction has their mooks as random encounters in the area. It was true for the Sky Knights and it holds true for the Merchantry as well.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Khamer is an idiot, for sure. He can't even figure out how to get his own kingdom running without the Crystals, and that's not even bringing up the matter of the ocean being uncrossable and crops likely unable to grow. And whatever the Fire Crystal being out of control is causing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The best we can ascertain at this point is that the Vestal is a person to be feared/respectful of given the reaction of others to her title, even if she's a timid girl with public speaking issues and an inability to tell directions.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Soil decay, preventing crops from growing. Earthquakes might be a side effect as well.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Alternis reminds me of the Archadian Judges a bit with his armor design and high ranking in the Eternian Forces. And the echo to his voice, of course.

I wonder if that was part of the inspiration for him. His DRK armor does look a bit different from, say, Cecil's.

:stare: I did not know Khamer was that old. And he acts like a petulant child. Goodness.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Blind Duke posted:

In the Merchant job fight when Khint flees Profiteur balks at the price asked for his service, saying it's on the scale of a national treasury. Khamer, being king, has access to such

So what you're saying is Khamer was willing to bankrupt his dehydrated and overworked kingdom just to kill a person who helped restore it to glory?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Huh. Hadn't seen those last two cutscenes before.

Also, the Bloodrose Legion, my favorite section of the Eternia Forces aside from the Council of Six. I just like the name and the outfits of the mooks.

In regards to Einheria, considering that she's a valkyrie, I thought for sure she was using "sister" in the comrade sense rather than the literal sense the first time I played the game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm still amused that Ominas decries Edea turning traitor as being shameful to her father immediately after burning two of his own countrymen to death.

For no reason.

Without batting an eye.

Unapologetically.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Ringabel's one gimmick is getting real old real fast.

If it's any consolation, I think he tones it down a bit.

In the next chapter.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So how about that forest of giant snake skeletons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I still have no idea why there's a random Viera statue in Florem. Unless that's meant to be a Playboy bunny or something, it looks remarkably similar to that race.

I also wish there was concept art of Old-Florem. I would've loved to see what it and the residents originally looked like.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 11, 2017