Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Alxprit posted:

The whole thing with the number on Airy's wing is one of those things that's super duper obvious once you've seen it. It's just hard because most of the time she's not facing the direction that really lets you see the number clearly, since it's mirrored on the other wing. But of course, there is a three on the wings now...

I didnt notice it at this point either. But its very well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I did choose to do this. But I did feel like it spoiled a lot of what would happen on the path where I didnt do it.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Hey we're getting to the part where even I was no longer doing the extra bossfights.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
To this day I dont understand how Ultros became a recurring enemy and then a side area host. But more RPGs need random animal/monsters carrying a grudge.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Looking back at my 4year old save, I ended up with
2x Timemage/Swordmaster
Freelancer/Spiritmaster
Spiritmaster/Whitemage

Guess I wasnt very creative

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I'd say the end itself is fine. But everything in between ranges from okay to augh.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I am half and half on that.

On one hand, there is no way the best ending wouldnt come from whatever Airy's wing countdown is for. And the ending we did get was only average to me despite its satisfying opening condition.
On the other hand, the countdown has not been made very exciting.

If the false ending option was a little more telegraphed and the true ending more organic to reach (plotwise), it would be near perfect.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
You know your villain is gonna pull a 'this isnt even my final form' when her first form battle music gets relocated to her second form.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I always assumed memories were being erased with each dimension jump. But I will be damned it the game itself never gave me that excuse.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I feel not enough attention is being given to the final Airy form and her ridiculous Acedia/Zeta Flare combo spam.

Also does the final boss music already play at this point? I cant remember. I really liked both battles though.

edit: it does, the first phase at least. Its really awesome too.

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 29, 2019

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I do tire of the 'boss kills underling' trope.

Though at least Ouroboros did it less because of EEEEVIL and more because of his insane god farmer > cattle logic.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
With regards to Airy doing all this for Ouroboros

I am pretty sure the manga didnt even reference Ouroboros (neither does Airy use her final 2 forms)

(Still technically has spoilers for the end of the game tho)

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Half of them might as well be girls too (or who knows) with the way they look

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I can understand where all the negativity comes from, but I dont regret getting and playing this game for even a second.

And I dont care how many plotholes it raised up or how cheaply emotional it could be seen as, the final battle was, to me, exactly the right kind of fun and spectacle and the perfect employment of all the 3DS gimmicks.

Here is the music btw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLBTIUzPpEQ

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
So did the special movie get shown yet? Or would that be too closely connected to Bravely Second?

Pureauthor posted:

FF9's main villain had relatively complex motivations but the actual final boss is infamous for coming absolutely out of nowhere and just trying to kill everything forever

Even then he was less 'evil for the sake of evil' and more 'hey you destroyed the crystal, that means the meaning of life is death and everyone gets to have fun with that!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Dallbun posted:

It is. So, uh, there's that.

The music is good too.
And some of the 4th wall breaks are memorable.