Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
This world's money is rated PG for pretty good.

Or they're pages of a really, really, really big book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

Foreshadowing? FORESHADOWING! :eng101:

Proper good foreshadowing stuff too. Plenty of ambiguity and missing information to make filling in the blanks interesting!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Clock Town is a cool town.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also, now that we've met Friend-bot, I can finally share this collection of Bravely Second (the mechanic, not the game) battle quotes. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTlAar00HRY

FIGHT EVERYTHING WITH TIZ!

Except Agnes :shobon:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Wow, never knew how much I missed decent game writing until this update. This set up is pretty refreshing :allears:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also, I'm assuming his intense thirst is because Profiteur didn't let the thieves drink from the oasis either. Seems like the kind of rear end in a top hat-ish thing he'd do.

Either that or it's an allusion/metaphor to his desire. Or greed.

Eruza posted:

I always figured it was his guilty conscience.

Well, his plan also assumed the people wouldn't just riot instead. :v:

Or conscience here.

Also it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Profiteur had a plan for when the people would riot that consisted of 'taking his cash and GTFO-ing out.' Where he would be backstabbed by the thieves he hired (because guess what they're thieves) or the Council of Six (because now he's a liability to them.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

It's kind of a refreshing change from the normal method of 'we're not killing these dudes we're trying to teach them the error of their ways through violence!' method of doing things. Which increases story/gameplay segregation.

Here you're killing dudes in combat, so the story has them die when you fight. Good. Simple.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Surprised at that S for Spears.

You know what else merchants are good at other than money? Giving people the shaft. Like good ol' Profiteur.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Which means we'll be back when they're good an rested and can get right riled at the King for us.
Also Clocktower brand Firaga sauce isn't nearly as good as Mom Bomb's Hot Pepper Firaja Sauce.

Then again you can't get chocobo's away from that stuff...

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

And while that motive is perfectly fine and makes sense, he's also ignore the fact that the crystals being broke has broken a lot of things and not trying to fix them without using the crystals.

Really is a petulant brat :shepface:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Omobono posted:

Considering Ringabel's diary and the amnesia, plus some of the details in that diary, I'm calling it now: Ringabel is an alternate Alternis from the future.
Although, sine there wasn't a Ringabel described int the diary, the time loop doesn't seem to be stable.

When you put those two words like that well...

Ringabel being a time cop would make sense with the journal... But it's D's journal? Wait. D was his Time Cop Buddy! The case has been cracked!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Glazius posted:

Look, all I'm saying is that maybe if these guys were actually doing something worthwhile they would have gotten a better class of enforcer than the pyromaniac who burnt down an entire town and the guy who tried to work an entire kingdom to death.

Look, in order for the progress of mankind to stop relying on these crystals because HO DANG when they break it's real annoying (and catastrophic) you need to break a few eggs. And cook them. Sunny Side up. To a crisp. With a side of freshly drawn water pumped by a thousand starving and overworked workers.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Glazius posted:

I mean, we probably nearly died on the wind crystal and we'd been practicing for that. What would happen with a foreign one? That's how you get dead vestals, and dead vestals are the enemy.

That explains the bloodrose legion. Come! My Noble Einherjar Vestals!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm inclined to believe that the real reason she doesn't awaken the Crystal is because she'd have to dispel the shield. Once that's done, she'd have no idea whether or not Olivia was still alive.

It's a bit of a selfish act, but it's one that puts her mind at ease in regards to how one of her closest friends is doing.
Also who knows what'll happen if they break the shield. Considering it's tied to her life force, that could very well up and kill Olivia.

And that'd make Agnes sad. Which would be bad.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Oh boy, there's only one way this upcoming scene can turn out.

oh boy

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

To be honest, I've always found Tiz kind of plain, but I do think he and Agnes help balance out Ringabel and Edea pretty well.

Tiz is the Cypher, Agnes is the hermit, Ringabel's the worldly wanderer and Edea's the street smart. Everything you need to make in-character worldbuilding interesting and fun.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Patter Song posted:

It's not surprising Sage Yulyana can brave these caves. He travels alone, which means he gets quadruple XP from every fight, and has been doing it so long he probably permanently has the "kill everything in one turn unscathed" bonuses. He'll level up just fine in his regular trips back and forth to Florem.

Also as a Sage he has access to unquestionably good spells, like Full Life, Bio, Giga Flare...

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I know that guy is there to see sexy outfits, but you'd think someone from Ancheim would be more appreciative of the Wind Vestal who returned the wind.

I'm also curious how Victoria won the contest without Edea being aware. Did they not stick around for the post contest ceremony despite knowing Agnes got no votes? Did she not recognize a member of the Council of Six? Maybe Victoria had on a different outfit. :iiam:

Also, the "sexiest woman in Florem" looks like a toddler. "Japan, no. :stare:" indeed.

There's the implication that Victoria killed whoever took the crown and uh... Took the crown. That's kind of what I'm going with at the moment.

Alternatively, everyone knows she's the reason the contest is down 2 gals and once she showed up the judges were like 'oh no give her all the votes give her all the votes!'

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Oberndorf posted:

I've always thought of Florem as a critique of the fashion/cosmetic industry, with the killing of Orochi being akin to animal testing, and the hypnosis of the populace being a stand-in for advertising and magazine pictorials. Our girl starving herself for hair dye has body image issues caused by women's magazines and Cover Girl ads.

In other words, more a critique of mindless consumerism and media manipulation of popular tastes moving us from good, old-fashioned Japanese values into modern hedonism.

I'd say the animal thing is more 'taking questionable materials from sources via unsustainable means.'

Since the poison is used for the hair dye.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Huh. That's certainly a thing.

I bet Tiz isn't going to be happy at the answer to his question.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

"It's a plane!"

"Now it's a bird."

"Now it's shooting giant wind lasers at us."

"Wait wha-"

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Pureauthor posted:

What plausible purpose could there even be for those head-orbs?

When Dragoons jump on the moon, it takes them twice as long to get down. So clearly Tiz and Ringabel are doing sub-orbital jump drops.

Why?

Exhibit A:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

My narrative sense tells me that this is where Ringabel learns the downfalls of 'smooth moves,' Edea learns to appreciate Ringabel and everyone has a rousing good time over killing Dandy DeRosa.

Also the Water Maiden wondering where the heck the party has been, they are sooooo late to finally find her they are the absolute worse at this whole 'Crystal Tag' business.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

That could have been worse.

Also the implication seems to be that he wasn't affected by his own concoction. However considering that the rest of the Bloodrose Legion's leaders are women and he views them as tools and two of them went crazy from the goods...

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Commander Keene posted:

I'm not so sure about this one. He's probably at least partially responsible, but probably not completely.

He's top on the list of culpability with the next person in line being whomever ordered him to Secularize Florin (which would be the Evil Council/Edea's dad.)

The methods used were of his own making as evidenced in the reports.

Written in a journal with a very stylized R which is rather similar to the D journal that Ringabel has.

Hmm...

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I can't stop being surprised that this is technically optional content. I mean, in the focus of saving the crystals before the world breaks it makes sense and I can't help but applaud the game for sticking to that as much as possible even in the face of the subversive elements that would clearly continue their effective efforts after said crystal would be fixed.

Maybe that's why. They let you choose whenever to do it (assuming side quests don't get locked off at certain points in the game) and let the inherent interest in seeing things through be the motivator for having players complete it rather than simply railroading you into doing it because it must be done (which is the standard model.)
Much like that other poster said awhile back regarding the Sidequests: you could skip them but then the game's a whole lot more boring if you do!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The Eternians never explaining what they're talking about is one of the most frustrating parts of the narrative. You're already talking. Spend a few more words explaining WHY!

That's what really makes it annoying. If they showed up, said a few words (emphasis on few, like, a sentence or two at most) and then peaced out it'd be ok. But nope! You get a paragraph and some change and that's more than enough to drop some substantial hints to what the Eternian forces are actually after.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

And are also still evil although it's more 'they're on the other side of this war we've been dragged into and they're using weapons of mass destruction without much care' evil.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The problem is that takes way more effort to write than just making them all evil because they have the asterisks and how are you going to get them to get sweet jobs if they're working with you are they gonna die nobly or like a chump or oh man there are so many variables.

Also depends on if they want the Eternians to be sympathetic villians or out and out baddies and they're clearly going for the latter.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Florem is also rather heavily tinted by being pretty late-stage in DeRosa's plan. I wouldn't say that the Matron there was corrupt, just woefully unprepared/oblivious to the subversion.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Also there's something satisfying about going 'oh man look at that dude, that dude is a dick and obviously a JOB, we're getting beat up by his abilities to see what they do to us, man it's going to be great when we kill him and take his JOB for ourselves!'

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Those wooden shields have wheels and it looks like they can be angled. As everyone knows, even a wooden shield can block a cannon round if it's angled right.

Especially if it's silly pre-rifling balls of lead!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Patter Song posted:

Is this the first time they mention that the Earth Crystal is in Eternia proper?

Pretty sure it's come up in a conversation beforehand. Shortly after the water crystal?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Yakumo posted:

I mean, I know games occasionally ignore distance for narrative convenience but the party was just discussing how hard it would be to get to Eternia.

I smell Time Travel Shenanigans. Smells like week old jelly babies from the future.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

serefin99 posted:

I'm sorry, but am I reading that properly? The Funky Francisca?! I thought this was a ghost ship, not a DJ!

As shown in other games such as Mother 3, Ghosts know how to party.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

No don't come back swordmaster I want to hear more about your side because you're actually talking about it no you're walking off come back dangit!

Pureauthor posted:

Ok but why keep the Master Sample in the middle of a zombie-infested fortress in the middle of a wasteland

Sounds like a great place to keep a biological weapon of mass destruction.

The zombies would have to get out in order to actually spread it if it leaked and everyone knows zombies are bad news!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Regalingualius posted:

Am I the only one who thought calling the child POWs "canary boys" instantly killed whatever dramatic tension there was surrounding them?

As Commander Keene said if you know anything about Mine Canaries that line about using kids not only as shields but as 'Canary Boys' just makes the bad guys more :stare:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Glazius posted:

...huh. Previously the Crystals had provided people with what they needed. It's odd that all the mythril is gone.

It kind of makes sense that the Mythril is gone then. This place certainly doesn't need more weapons :v:

As to the actual how though... Probably the same reason that the Fire Crystal was able to muck about with the volcano. The fire vestals also likely figured out a way to use it to psuedo-lava dredge up all of the Mythril to bring prosperity to the otherwise bleak area (much like how the wind crystal helps Anacheim out.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Welp, there went Suspect A and Suspect B.

Clearly it's the Ninja Lady in the Basement with the Laboriously Collected Intelligence.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

At least it's not the Fiddy Zone. Not only do people die there but they also get punched and stabbed and kicked and disintegrate.

The Cutscene Zone is harsh, yet kind in some ways.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Greyarc posted:

That scene with Agnes crying due to being pressured into wearing a sexy outfit -- was that meant to be awkward, or was it intended as funny? Agnes the character has a strict set of boundaries which the game usually respects, yet the game's promotional art mostly consists of Agnes in skimpy outfits the character would hate. Similarly, the characters say they're horrified by war, but the whole Shieldbearer/Swordbearer conflict -- especially the canary boys part -- is treated with this odd, clinical distance, despite the characters supposedly being in the middle of it.

Part of the problem is outright the 'have your cake and eat it to' method to how most sidequests, including the all important ones of 'actually defeating the enemy and taking their asterisks' are optional.

Another part is the standard gameplay/story segregation the writers/devs intentionally ignored by not acknowledging the different costumes you can put the characters in while job changing. It would be pretty neat if they did have something in the game to show that (either dialogue written/voiced of each character's preference for an outfit or a short animation of the same, IE Agnes blushing/hugging herself in embaressment, Tiz wondering WTF his crazy hat doodads do, Ringabel moonwalking, Edea flexing etc.) but alas they didn't, so for all intents and purposes the writing treats everyone as if they're in their default outfits.

The Bravo Bikini skit is weird. I'd call it satirical in terms of 'hey Agnes, you said you'd do anything to save your friend right? then get (effectively) naked in front of an audience!' types of situations. But that's me reading between the lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Pureauthor posted:

Final Fantasy 5 still has my favourite implementation of it, where all the curatie and revival spells and items simply don't work because the guy in question had just finished powering through an entire boss fight at 0 hp.

The important part of that scene is that they tried. Like in FF2/4 there's TONS of instances of characters using their magic to do things outside of battle. It's one of the best gameplay/story integrated RPG's I've ever played.

If they try and it doesn't work then it doesn't work. If they never try it at all it breaks immersion whenever you think to ask the question 'why didn't they use x?' (This may not be immediate depending on how well the event pulls you in.)