Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I doubt it. From what I gather, the way TC is getting the shots for this LP is kind of like playing a game with one finger on the "Print Screen" button, but a lot slower and somewhat less reliable. Getting enough shots to make even a short animated GIF would not only be nearly impossible, but extremely time-consuming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

I should note that I know they used to censor the poo poo out of a lot of things - I just don't know how heavily they're doing it nowadays. From having playing Bravely Default (and Bravely Second, for that matter,) my feeling is "nowhere near as much" :v:
It used to be any religious content (I wonder why we didn't get SMT games on the SNES), references to alcohol or drugs (hence everybody in FF6 and CT drinking "cider" and all the drugstores in Earthbound becoming "shops"), sexual references/innuendo, and graphic violence. Now they pretty much only censor sexual content, and only in games they localize; it used to be that in order to get the license to release a game on Nintendo consoles in the USA, you had to conform to these guidelines. They're getting better, if slowly.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'll grudgingly accept this with one exception - there's a particular character later in the game with little motive other than being a massive jerkass.
I recall a few characters who seemed to be little more than massive jerkasses. There was a literal Team Unforgivably Evil at one point. Maybe I missed some conversations that redeemed some of them, though.

In a game full of trope-y (and honestly, awesome) characters, that's one they could've skipped or at least fleshed out some motivations for.

Although I guess that you could make the argument that having a character that's a lightning rod for hate makes for a good character if they're used sparingly.
There are certainly characters that you love to hate. And in a game where most of the antagonists have viable and believable motivations, it's fine to have a few complete dickheads. There are real people who are complete dickheads for no discernible reason. My problems with the writing in this game do not lie in the characters themselves.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

At this point, I think it is actually like he says; he wants to help and protect the one person who has the power to Fix Everything.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Agnes' lack of directional sense is the best thing ever. :allears:
She's like Ryoga. I bet she could go the wrong way in a three-legged race.

He's got survivor's guilt and doesn't really give a drat about what happens to himself, and he really has nothing better to do. All he knew before was herding sheep (and maybe kicking the rear end of the occasional wolf or something since he appears to know how to fight,) so it's not like he's got a lot of job prospects otherwise. :v:
Eh, he's the same level as Agnes, who has explicitly not had any combat training in her life, and while his stats are slightly more weighted towards the physical then hers, IIRC, there isn't much difference. RPGs are full of farmboys with no prior combat experience picking up swords and proceeding to devastate the local wildlife and whatever country opposes them. It's like fighting is ingrained into their DNA. It must be tough being a monster in a medieval fantasy world; you always have to worry about whether the farmboy you're about to eat is going to horribly murder you.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Note that, IIRC, the explosion that finished Barras off is the result of Invigorate failing. Yes, Invigorate can fail, but it's obviously not a wasted turn when it does.

And note how Barras "perished", but Holly "was defeated". Meh, probably just sexism with no relevance to the game's plot.

I think the plan is to hijack an airship and pilot, because Barras was the only member of that airship's crew who could actually pilot the one he and Holly were on, and he's dead as a doornail. I don't think airship piloting is standard education for either shepherds or vestals, even wind vestals. Let's hope there's somebody at the command building who can pilot an airship.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Aquasnake posted:

I never caught on that the different characters had different stat leanings, so I built literally everyone wrong in my playthrough, but I had Agnes primarily as the monk the whole game, which made a particular skit with a bow later on pretty hilarious.
There is no "wrong". The stat differences are literally negligible. I checked my save file, and the difference between the fastest character and the slowest, both in Freelancer jobs at level 99, is 3 Agility (71-74). I think you need to be the fastest by at least 20 Agility in order to be guaranteed the first turn in a battle. At max level, the fastest character isn't even guaranteed to go before the slowest, let alone get first turn. The other stats are spread similarly. When we say a character is "slanted towards" or "favors" certain jobs, that means Tiz is literally like 2 points stronger than Agnes, and she has maybe 3 more points in Intelligence and/or Wisdom.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dr. Fetus posted:

With regards to speed, needing 21 more agility to outspeed something is false. In order to be guaranteed to outspend something, the character's agility needs to be greater than 1.25 times the agility stat of whatever they're trying to outspeed.
Doesn't change my point. +3 Agility isn't even remotely close to 125% of 74.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Annoyingly enough, they raised the speed randomization to up to 1.4 times in Bravely Second. :argh:
That's annoying. I haven't gotten to the point in Bravely Second where I'm actively trying to manipulate Agility, though, so I hadn't noticed personally. I can accept a little randomness in turn order, or if turn order is completely random, but a large "swing" in turn order really makes it seem like they're only pretending to allow you to affect your turn order.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Xander77 posted:

I assumed those two were going to be comic relief villains for the rest of the game. Interesting change.
Nope, they straight-up murder self-defense them to death.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

serefin99 posted:

So does changing jobs have an immediate effect on stats? Like, if I have Tiz in white mage for 20 levels and then decide to turn him into a monk, will he gain at least some physical attack to improve his punching ability? Or would he be stuck with a mage's noodle arms for a few levels?
Jobs modify base stats, and have no effect on stat growth. AFAIK, Tiz's base stats will be the same at any level no matter what jobs you've had him in for how many levels. As your job levels increase, so do your modified stats, as well as some tangentially-related things like hit count in battle. Switching from a higher-leveled job to a lower-leveled one, even if they do the same general thing, will cause a noticeable drop in power, partly due to reduced stats, but mostly because your attacks are connecting less.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think the final playable character's punny name is the best, because she has an entire family to work off of. Also, Ringabel's actual name is pretty good.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Or, rather, the game can still put up a fight even with most of the ludicrously OP shenanigans you're capable of pulling off. Seriously, half of the stuff you can do in this game, even without much optimization, would smash the difficulty curve of most other RPGs into thousands of unrecognizable pieces.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Greyarc posted:

There's a lot to analyze about Bravely Default's encounter rate adjuster. On one hand, it takes the annoyance out of random battles and gives the player a good feeling of control. On the other hand, it could be argued it's acting as a band-aid on the aging, bleeding painful gameplay mechanic known as random battles, which should no longer be used in games like this now that enemies can be shown on the map.
Lufia for SNES managed to show enemies on dungeon maps, so sprite limits and processing power have been a poor excuse for keeping the random encounter system in RPGs since 1990, at least. I don't mind random encounters, personally, as long as they're handled intelligently like in this game, or other games that allow you to adjust encounter rates to your taste, even if you need to use spells and/or consumable items to do so.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Definitely a fist, viewed from the back of the hand.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Greyarc posted:

Who knows, Ringabel might end up guessing right about a place or two. Time to explore the world!
Or he might have been reading a walkthrough.

Greyarc posted:

Agnès may be referring to dondurma, a Turkish version of ice cream which blends in flour and a chewy resin, allowing it to be stretched.
Huh. The things you learn about when playing video games. And parents say they'll rot your brain!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I also feel like there was some character derailment in Bravely Second. At least one guy ends up acting almost counter to how he does in this game, although it made him a more likeable character so I don't really mind.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Merchant certainly isn't the most exciting job in the game, but it has a few useful abilities, and since I rarely had money troubles I usually had it as a second Job Command on one character. Low Leverage/High Leverage allows you to fine-tune the damage you give and receive, Takeover is a good early-game source of damage if you've got some spare change, and Merchant is the first class that can provide a buff to critical rate, as well as restore BP. By the end of the game the Leverage skills are pretty much the only useful skills left in the Merchant's repertoire, due to other classes doing all the other stuff better, but once you can hit the damage cap effortlessly Low Leverage really shines by effectively doubling your party's Defense stat. You're still dealing the same damage anyways, so why not halve your enemies'?

I typically paired it with a job we'll see later (whose asterisk-holder is also pretty :moreevil:), and the character would provide healing and support.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Blademaster_Aio posted:

The bow is my favourite weapon.

I never really bothered with stealing. Why steal, when I could attack?
Because bosses (especially asterisk holders) tend to have equipment that's ahead of the curve.

Greyarc posted:

What is Orthros, some kind of discount cerberus?
Pretty much. He's actually Cerb's younger brother, and is related to the Sphinx and Chimera as well. Greek mythology had one monster (Echidna) as pretty much the mother of all of them, well those that weren't created by divine curses at least.

Greyarc posted:

"Morning dew that forms on crystals" -- The big four Crystals with their own religion, or just little crystals growing in the ground? The former would certainly explain the high price.
I'm pretty sure the lack of a capital C means that they're not distilled Crystal sweat. That doesn't necessarily mean that they're made from bog-standard quartz dew, either, though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Blind Duke posted:

Is the man named after the continent, or is the continent named after the man

because the second sounds like somebody who's reaaaaaal full of themself
It's just the forest he lives in that shares a name with him. And he's actually called the "Sage of Yulyana" because apparently not even the man himself can be bothered to remember his real name. Or maybe he doesn't want to remember his real name. Y'know, whatever.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Blademaster_Aio posted:

I think Big Pharma is the skill where you can just attack - heal - attack - heal for pg.

I definitely understand the need for more money in every video game.
Yes, but it's super slow. As in, "rubber band down the A button and leave the game running overnight" slow, IIRC. Unless I'm sorely mistaken it gives double-digit healing (and thus pg) each use. Which works okay on a console connected directly to a wall socket; not so well on a battery-powered handheld.

Goddammit. Now they're even slipping puns into the jobs! :argh:
Considering most of the Merchant's skills are business-related puns, I'm not sure why you're surprised by this.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ulmont posted:

You are - the videos I saw show 1100-1500.

You still want the rubber band.
I dunno - maybe I just tried the ability as soon as I got it or something and then abandoned it as a bad idea and forgot about it. Or maybe there's some optimizing I didn't do.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Who could have guessed that the Khamer and Profiteur Merchantry was run by Khamer and Profiteur? :v:
IIRC, one of D's Journal entries specifies that Khamer is more like an honorary stockholder or something than an actual executive in the Merchantry, but yeah, it's pretty obvious they're colluding.

Guess who was surprised by this first time around because they promptly forgot the king of Ancheim's name? :sweatdrop:

Kemix posted:

So Regicide next? Seems legit.
Look, Tiz needs his bloodlust satisfied. He's already killed a Knight, obviously the next step up was a King.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

A Bishop or a Queen would be a more logical next step, but we don't have any of those so a checkmate will have to do. :v:
Khamer hates religion and apparently couldn't get a girl despite being a King. Bishops and Queens were out of the question.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

The King would be a better king, if he wasn't so childish about Agnes being more loved and stuff.
He's apparently one of those atheists who straight-up campaigns for the abolishment of all religions because they're "holding humanity back", rather than simply an attention whore.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

That is true. He's burning his bridges due to a perceived long-term problem (Crystalism and the vestals holding back the march of technology) while apparently burying his head in the sand and ignoring the real, short-term literal apocalypse (the Crystals' corruption shutting down essential functions of the world).

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Notice I said "rather than simply an attention whore". He's a politician, he wants the credit for what he accomplishes, don't get me wrong. But there's a bit more to him than just "the vestal is more popular than me! i must KILL HER AND DESTROY HER WHOLE RELIGION!".

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Glazius posted:

I mean, I suppose if you believe in the power of capitalism enough to shove your head through a clock, you have to believe that good old-fashioned shank-your-neighbor-to-stop-him-being-employee-of-the-month-for-a-dollar is going to outperform the apparently endless bounty of the crystals.
Ahem. I believe you mean "Slit your mama's throat for a nickel," to fit in with this game's "wannabe old-school Final Fantasy" design aesthetic.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Greyarc posted:

After leaving Ancheim, Tiz and Edea switch over to the new jobs. I don't want to be imbalanced with the women being only fighters and the men magicians, so this round, Edea's going to take a turn with magic while Tiz switches to physical damage.
Tiz is switching to Spell Fencer, as in someone who fences with spells, so he's still a mage. Just not a "pure" caster. He's what D&D players call a "gish".

Greyarc posted:

Wait, the ultra-rare source of flight for the airship was kept on deck? Without protection? Who designed these things?
Look, maybe Bravely Default's Cid isn't as competent as his Final Fantasy counterparts.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I wonder if that was part of the inspiration for him. His DRK armor does look a bit different from, say, Cecil's.
I dunno, if you've played the DS version of FF4, Cecil's armor doesn't look that different from what Alternis is wearing.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

:stare: I did not know Khamer was that old. And he acts like a petulant child. Goodness.
Sort of like some real-world politicians, eh?

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Of course he had to show up when Ringabel went on his merry way. Seriously.

The timings of villain sneak attacks are terrible, you know.

Also, the time mage outfits are ugly. That head gear is really bad.
I suppose how good or bad his sneak attack timing is depends upon which side of his blade you're on.

Yeah, some of the job gear in this game is hideous.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

He's probably equal in mass to Victor, Victoria, and Alternis put together, at least. He's significantly taller than even Victor, and broader-shouldered than any of them.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Patter Song posted:

Anyway, just a reminder that Victor and Victoria aren't just Eternians, they are one third of the Council of Six that rule Eternia (and de facto half of the council, given the two permanently empty seats).
They're not "empty", per se; there are people in those seats, but they don't show up very often.

Patter Song posted:

Given how integrated into the world the jobs system is in this game (far more so than, say, FFV), it'd be interesting to know how ordinary people with ordinary jobs react to the job system.

"After many years, I have finally achieved my goal of becoming a Merchant! I can finally set up my own shop and...I...suddenly know how to spend money to do massive, probably lethal damage to people?"

"Not getting enough work done during working hours? Don't worry, Jane from HR has become a Time Mage so she can cast Haste on you to speed you up on the job. She can also...summon earthquakes and comets...um...I want to transfer divisions."
To be fair, it could be assumed that the asterisks, or at least the ones the party gets, are all of jobs that are conducive to murderizing things. Yes, even the Merchant is more of an arms merchant or dealer of death than a captain of commerce. It could be assumed that ordinary merchants don't really know how to fling money with enough force to break the skin or force snakes to buy recovery items from the very same people who made them need it. They may not even have the actual Merchant job as the game defines it. Also, considering that Haste messes with your personal time relative to the world, spending a lot of time under the effects of that spell could have nasty side effects, like growing old at an accelerated rate. In 1st and 2nd Edition D&D, for example, every casting of Haste aged every target of the spell five years, IIRC.

Really, I'm just glad that we don't have the old man whose life's dream is to find the Bunny Girl asterisk, as is the running joke in the Dragon Quest games with job systems.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Patter Song posted:

Having your party look incredibly goofy in cutscenes is one of the best parts of this game and its sequel. Riveting drama and horrifying revelations emoted by people dressed in animal skins and top hats is the only way to go.

And yeah, Florem is messed up, but, again, I think it's messed up in a well-done way. You're clearly supposed to think that this city is completely hosed.
One of the reasons I like games that show your party's armor and weapons on the model (or allow model/costume changes like this game) is seeing how goofy-looking I can get the main characters. I've got a New Game Plus idea for Xenoblade Chronicles where everyone wears swimsuits all the time. That may take a while, though, seeing as I don't even think I'm halfway through the game right now.

Rangpur posted:

It's a curious decision, one I wasn't aware of before now. I mean, you've all seen Artemia in action, and oh look now she's dead. She doesn't really have time to do anything controversial. Although I guess you did just attack someone having a bad trip, and murder them in cold blood. Not sure the 3 year difference does much to blunt the impact there. :v:
Yeah, it's probably the fact that you are perpetrating violence on a child that caused that particular age-up.

Goddammit. I totally missed that one. :doh:
I might not have gotten that one either if it had been just text, but the scene is helpfully voice-acted and doesn't allow you to miss the joke.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Valkyrie is pretty good at sustainably sweeping random encounters. One or two Crescent Moons from a Valkyrie wielding a spear (or a Ranger with the job command using a bow) is enough to put down soft enemies, and two or three people spamming it using BP will put an end to most combats before the enemy gets a turn. It's one of the best ways to keep up those delicious end-of-combat bonus chains with the early-game classes.

The class is somewhat lackluster in boss fights, IMO, but I'm comparing it to some of the classes we won't get until much later. It matches up fairly well against the DPR classes we have now when using a spear, though, IIRC.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

YggiDee posted:

I bet the shoes are fine!

...so girls can more easily walk towards their doom! :unsmigghh:
Are you kidding? I assume they have to wear some sort of torture device with nine-inch spike heels or something. Plenty of women willing to do that in real life, without cancer-causing hair dyes and addictive fairy hairpins or whatever. I'll bet corsets are also all the rage.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Consider that the party has managed to murder everyone supplying the dye and hairpins, so nobody can get any more. It's not like the average resident of Florem knew that the hairpins were made of fairy wings and the dye was snake blood or whatever. Once the current supply runs out and the withdrawal symptoms are over, this problem should sort itself out.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Blind Duke posted:

No way DeRosso can possibly be creepier or more evil than he is right at this second
You'll see exactly how deep this particular rabbit hole goes, probably in the next update. And as cdyoung said, there's at least one other character who will give him a run for his money in his bid to become head of the Creepy And Evil Division of the Eternian military.

asymmetrical posted:

I do wonder if it wasn't meant to be Rossa, as that's red in Italian.
Look, I already managed to get his name confused with another character we haven't seen yet. Adding a second "s" to his name would just be crossing the line.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Greyarc posted:

The corrected Red Advent page:
that downer khint refused to come aboard our plan to plunder eternia. we'll have profiteur deal with him, and strike the orthodoxy treasury as planned. we'll incite the hostages to martydom in order to furnish a scapegoat, qada will ready every compound he can, and the fools will all die where they stand...
Keep in mind, the literal soldier of fortune willing to work for the highest bidder, last seen in the employ of Khamer and Profiteur, had too many scruples to work with DeRosa. That should tell you how low this man has sunk.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yeah, the implication is that Artemia and Mephilia were victims of DeRosa's nonsense. Were it not for him, they probably would've been as reasonable as Einheria.
I'm not so sure about this one. He's probably at least partially responsible, but probably not completely.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The diary indicates that he's been here for at least three years. I think Edea was in training for that time. She's basically a green recruit, no reason for her to know all the soldiers and operations, and in fact her father probably tried to keep as much of that away from her as possible.
Yeah, Edea is a relatively recent addition to the Eternian forces. Not knowing anybody besides her CO is reasonable. Additionally, DeRosa was acting as a deep-cover spy and saboteur in Florem; he might not be well-known among the Eternians if that's his usual line of work. There's a character in this game whom Edea not instantly recognizing is an actual plot hole, but it's not DeRosa.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

As in Final Fantasy games with the class, Red Mage is much more useful for the abilities it has, rather than for any merits of the class itself. And before you ask, no, the most useful abilities of the Red Mage class generally do not include Red Magic. You're usually better off with a dedicated white/black mage rather than using the slower-growing and lower-level Red Magic. In FF games, it's generally Dual Cast - which is the ability to cast two spells at once - and here, it's a couple of BP manipulation support abilities the class gets, which can be used in conjunction with other class abilities.

Spell Fencer does the whole "hybrid class" thing better than Red Mage, although it doesn't try as hard to be a "jack of all trades" as the RM. It's pretty focused on direct damage.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, and in Final Fantasy Explorers, Red Mage gains the ability to dual-wield wands, IIRC, which allows them to deal pretty effective magic DPS. It's not a universal rule, but in most of the single-player FF games, there are far better classes to be using than Red Mage, and the best thing to do with the class is cherry-pick the best abilities and move on. It's kind of a shame, because I kind of like the class (from the concept right down to the outfit), so it's a shame that the class is usually subpar.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rigged Death Trap posted:

And the (usually) more robust physical and speed stats of Red Mages, and most importantly their ability to wield swords, which usually come with magic boosts or other nice buffs.
On a personal note Red and Blue mages are my favorite archetypes of any magic wielding game characters, ever.
Yeah, but you're usually better off playing a more specialized class than the jack-of-all-trades, master of none that is the Red Mage. Red Magic doesn't use the RM's physical stats, and physical attacks don't use their Magic stat, so you're only ever taking advantage of one attacking stat at a time, and both are subpar anyways. If you want to fight, Spell Fencer/Mystic Knight does a much better job of murdering things with a sword and magic (at the same time, even!), and the dedicated casters are much better at their jobs when using magic, as well, especially considering you can stick White Magic on a Black Mage or vice versa for a caster who's better at both than the RM, and leveling both at the same time usually takes about as long as leveling RM. There are exceptions, of course, where their flexibility is more useful than the raw power of a more specialized class; I almost always have a Red Mage in my party in FF1, sometimes even over a more dedicated fighter class, for example.

Don't get me started on the Blue Mage. They will either be your best character (free healing, multi-stat buffs, low-cost but powerful attack magic), or a waste of space far exceeding the Red Mage's capacity to suck. All depending upon what skills you can trick/force the computer into using on the right character.

For the record, the "mystic knight" type character who can wield a sword and magic is my favorite fantasy archetype. This includes the Red Mage, as well as the Spell Fencer and the Blue Mage in Final Fantasy games. I want the Red Mage to be good, I really do, and when they are, I make sure to have one. It's just that they usually fall short of the mark.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I dunno. Victor seems like a professional enabler. Maybe he's not as moustache-twirlingly EVIL as Khamer, Profiteur, or DeRosa; or as openly sociopathic as Ominas, the Venus sisters, or Victoria. He is allowing the little psychopath presumably under his care to do whatever she wants like a spoiled child, though. That seems pretty bad to me.

Both of them seem to have a fox motif (Victoria actually wears a fox tail, and Victor has those white tips on his SS3 hairdo) which I don't remember ever being explained though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Patter Song posted:

I like to imagine how the Eternian government works in practice, given that a magical monstrous sorcerer girl prone to fainting spells is 1/6th (effectively 1/4th) of the council that makes decisions regarding Eternia's policies. Do the Marshal and, say, Alternis compete to bribe her with sweets to win critical swing votes?
I assume that she gets bored and abstains from any vote not involving "murder people" or "day trip to Willy Wonka's candy factory" - which probably also ends in her murdering Wonka. Either that or she just votes whichever way Victor does. Either way would probably result in Victor being the tie-breaker.

Also, you assume that the Grand Marshal and Alternis are usually in opposition. I think that aside from their disagreement on Edea's treatment, they probably get on pretty well. You have to wonder about the two persona non gratas in the Council though.