Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Greyarc posted:

The water crystal is quicker to recover than the wind crystal. Maybe because the wind crystal spent more time corrupted?
That brings up a good point. We were led to believe that the oceans were blighted because the Water Crystal had become corrupted, but Olivia's barrier prevented that until her death at the hands of Victoria. What had rotted the oceans, then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Glazius posted:

Now we can have all sorts of random encounters in the ocean!

Or, wait, did that also get all the monsters out of it?
I don't think it's a spoiler to tell you that there are, in fact, random encounters in the ocean. Even the little sea near Florem and Ancheim has random encounters, and it was never corrupted.

Patter Song posted:

We're really taking the fight to the Eternians. We've destroyed the Sky Knights, Khamer and Profiteur Enterprises, and the Bloodrose Legion.
Well, Tiz's bloodlust needs to be sated somehow.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yes, but it's the first BP Engine available to the party, IIRC, and the only one available with the classes we have in the LP now. Any others will have to wait a while, IIRC.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Pureauthor posted:

When the falling out scene happened I had honestly completely forgotten that the rest of the party didn't know that Edea was the head-honcho's daughter.
IMO, that's kind of the problem with "villain asides". The player/viewer/reader tends to forget that the characters don't know everything that they are provided with by the plot.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Greyarc posted:

Why are you treating us like your best friends? How do you make money?
Maybe the logic is more like "hey I asked them to go on a fetch quest for me, maybe I should give 'em a free meal or two as payment".

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

No, Profiteur acts like he's full rat. There's a difference.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Both of those seem more Earth Crystal to me. The only explanation I can think of is that the Fire Crystal somehow enables the gemification process bypassing the normally centuries of formation such crystals require. Eisenberg must have also been mineral-rich on its own without the action of the Fire Crystal, and the locals decided to accept the risks associated with volcano mining because they have the Crystal rendering the land barren (or simply rain shadow effect preventing proper rainfall or whatnot) and can't really do much else with it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Two hundred thousand. The initial attack by the Swordbearers and the Black Blades killed 100k, then the poison gas attack killed another 100k.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Greyarc posted:

Eternia: villainous anti-Crystalists or misunderstood Halloween costume enthusiasts?
Can't they be both? Halloween episode reveal: we are the real monsters!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Awkward Zombie one?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

CmdrKing posted:

Hell, you could readily contend that one of our newest Eternians is worse than all of those. Though DeRosa will always be a contender for Absolute Worst of course.

And really once you've employed people that heinous the solution is less "terminate employment" and more "publicly execute".
Yeah, we're not quite done with the moustache-twirling Saturday morning cartoon villainy yet.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

blackmongoose posted:

It would be a lot more interesting than "We torture puppies and won't tell you anything but 90% of the way through the game it turns out we were right all along" and having the game play that as a huge twist and implying that the good guys should feel regret for opposing Puppy Murder Inc.
Actually, I think the Eternians are so mustache-twirlingly evil because the writers don't want us to feel bad about opposing them and kicking their asterisks. If they gave the early antagonists any sliver of justification for their actions, some people would decide they're sympathetic and side emotionally with the Eternians, making murdering them for their sweet job classes and attaining emotional investiture in the plot more difficult. By the time we start getting hints that not all of the Eternians are Saturday morning cartoon villains (sidequests in Ch. 2 or main plot of Ch. 3), we're already supposed to have achieved empathy with the protagonists and firmly sided with them against the Eternians, due to their association with literal war criminals.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Patter Song posted:

Shouldn't you already have some empathy when you're killing the Thief in Chapter 1?
Good point. I got the chapter "borders" mixed up. Jackal is somewhat sympathetic. Not "good guy fighting for the wrong side" sympathetic, but "holy hell your childhood was messed up" sympathetic.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Alavaria posted:

But all 4 of you can use an asterisk already, if it's that the maximum is 4, then only 3 of you would be able to use it at the same time as one of them.
I'm pretty sure that what he's saying is it would be difficult to write in deaths for all of them that didn't involve them being in direct combat with the party so that your party would get the asterisk to begin with.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Then I suppose you could say that the asterisk-holders in this game are all jobbers.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Greyarc posted:

Wooden shields versus cannons. Either the Shieldbearers have some unseen tricks up their sleeve or the Swordbearers are incredibly, insanely incompetent.
Don't the Shieldbearers outnumber the Swordbearers by like 10 or 100 to 1? It'd be hard to make much progress against an enemy with those numbers even with an overwhelming advantage in equipment and tactics. Considering the Shieldbearers ate a 200,000-man loss in the opening salvos of the war and just kept trucking, I think you can understand the difficulties the Swordbearers (who never had even half that many men total, IIRC) are facing.

It's interesting to see the "good guys" actually having the numerical advantage for once. Usually they're the ones who have to figure out how to beat the ravening hordes at a 10-to-1 disadvantage, and sometimes the enemy's better equipped to boot.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Doesn't the name Daniel mean "good man" or something, too? So he's pretty much literally named Good man Goodman?
Daniel means "God is my judge".

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Blind Duke posted:

Turns out the Fire Crystal is less literal fire and more metaphorical fires of war

activating the crystal immediately brings peace between the two sides
Look, the Fire Crystal governs fire, but it's also responsible for the BURNING PASSION in the hearts of man.

Also, I assume that "activating" or "awakening" the crystal or whatever means bringing it under control, not necessarily turning the power knob up to 11.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Black mages can just tell the laws of thermodynamics to sit down and shut up, though. And considering there are shops that sell the stuff in places like Ancheim and Florem, either there's more than one Black Mage/Red Mage asterisk, or people can just master the job normally. I think the asterisks are just supposed to be a shortcut to instant/really quick mastery. Which might actually explain why so many of the asterisk-bearers are so messed up; they got all of the power without any of the discipline that came along with learning it the "hard" way.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Patter Song posted:

I like the touch of having the Council of 6 4 say that they are afraid of accidentally destroying the Fire Crystal. The Anticrystallists don't want the Crystals destroyed, they just want them dormant and not awakened like Agnes wants. Otherwise, they could easily just blow up the one in Eternia and end Agnes' campaign then and there.
They don't want the Crystals destroyed. They also don't want them in the hands of the vestal, because old power structure blah blah corruption blah blah moral imperative. Although at the moment Eternian hands aren't looking at all better...

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

But Greyarc already killed the Time Mage.
Which means Ringabel has access to the asterisk. Keep up with the plot, man!

Glazius posted:

Can I just say after what the original asterisks were up to in Florem it feels really weird to have our male and female leads being a red mage and a summoner?

Then again our clothing wardrobe is full of assholes, so I suppose it's kind of inevitable.
Seriously, would it be any better if the party was still using the Monk, White Mage, Black Mage, and Knight asterisks? Or Time Mage and Merchant? Considering the most sympathetic asterisk-bearers we've met up until now have been Jackal and Khint, I don't think we can put together a full party without looking like someone we'd rather not.

Look at it this way: we're fighting fire with fire and using the asterisks we've gained to fight the evil of the remaining asterisk-bearers.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Ringabel was flirting with a gecko lady. Or a lady clinging to the wall.

Also, I can't wait for the next sidequest.

We need more jobs!

Also, Master Kamiizumi actually seems reasonable. What a super shock compared to the rest of them.
Next asterisk gained is technically part of the main plot, IIRC.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Pureauthor posted:

I love how instead of a hook hand Barbarossa inexplicably has an anchor hand for +5 style points and -20 practicality points.
I always thought it was an axe/spearhead to be used in combat, but an anchor makes sense (for a given value of sense).

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's also a solid damage-dealing class; IIRC, it has the highest physical attack modifier in the game and a couple of abilities that are effectively just "deal double/triple damage". The classes that do phys damage better generally do so though cherry-picking sub-commands and support abilities from other classes, or are considered better due to having better defensive options. It's the first class that can really replace Ranger as the physical damage class of choice.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

cdyoung posted:

To be fair, she looks good in all the costumes.
Rebuttal: Ranger looks ridiculous no matter who's wearing it. And thank the Crystals for that; we definitely want to give this game's plot proper respect, right?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Greyarc posted:

Is this really the time to read encyclopedia entries?
If a guy can write poetry that later becomes a nation's anthem during a pitched cannon battle, I'm sure a little light reading is no problem.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Not really. In context, the implications were pretty horrific; basically, these children are sent into mine tunnels in advance of adults under the premise that their lower body mass would react faster to airborne toxins, contaminants, or depleted air. They were basically sacrificial lambs, and whatever ore they managed to carry out of the mine was an added bonus. Maybe knowing the fact that canaries were used in such a way in the real world previous to playing the game colored my perception, however.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Greyarc posted:

Apparently the language of Eisenberg is German.
Its name is Eisenberg. Was that ever in doubt? By the way, "Eisenberg" apparently translates from German as "iron mountain". Seems appropriate, considering they're a country living mainly off mining and (presumably) smithing.

Greyarc posted:

Dispel, to counter Qada casting regen, and Poisona would come in handy this fight, but you can power through without them.
I just bought everyone Silver Pendants. Complete immunity to poison is worth the accessory slot in this fight. Dispel is super helpful, though.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

I love the salve maker outfits. They look nice.
I think they look terrible, but the job is awesome enough to use anyways.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

MightyPretenders posted:

They're probably not affiliated with the Crystalists (or anybody else, really), just taking shelter in the ruins because they suit their purposes.
Yeah, I think they're actually literal monsters who ended up either in a symbiotic relationship or as the dominated mind-slaves of the summon monsters, enabling them to interact with humans for the purpose of finding a "worthy" master. The owl dudes in the volcano (or was it the Fire Temple) just tried to murder you with magic.

The summon monsters may even be more closely related to the activities of the monsters like Orthrus and Rusalka than the actual Crystalists.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rainuwastaken posted:

If you get maimed in the Cutscene Zone, it's completely irreversible, don't you know?
The Cutscene Zone is a harsh mistress.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

IIRC, Heinckel and the others were trying to capture Agnes, as well, and Olivia only died because she jumped in the way of Victoria's attack aimed at Agnes. Who by then had already slaughtered her way through a small battalion of Eternian troops, including many officers, allied herself with a traitor quite capable of divulging Eternian state secrets, and awakened one of the crystals that the Eternian forces currently do not want awakened for whatever nebulous reason.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

No, I'd say that Braev is pretty dumb for letting a psychopathic child onto the ruling council of his country. Especially since her yes-man caretaker is occupying another seat.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Wait until you meet her mother.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think the only other time "city airship" has been done in the FF franchise is FF8, but Breath of Fire 2 had TownShip as your second airship.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm an odd case. I don't really like buying or using items at all in RPGs; I prefer to survive on each character's skillset. But once I decide to actually use an item, anything's fair game. I usually end each RPG I play with max stacks of lesser healing items as a consequence.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ninja's a solid class, both as a base and Ninjutsu as a secondary command. As Greyarc said, you can combine it with Swordmaster and the Red Mage's Turn Tables ability and its own Transience and Comeback Kid to make a nigh-unhittable counterattack machine. A counterattack build doesn't require Ninja as the base class, so Swordmaster's added durability might help here. You can also combine it with Sword Magic as a secondary command and mix in the Ranger's Hawkeye and Precision with its own Frenetic Fighting support ability to make a seriously lethal striker against anything with an elemental weakness. In this case, you really want Ninja as the primary because of its inherent Dual-Wield, which saves you two Support Ability slots.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Going too far into the asterisks would be a spoiler, but yeah, they are basically shortcuts to job mastery and not the only way to become, for example, a white mage.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

And this is the part where yelling "why don't you god drat morons explain anything" at my DS commenced in earnest.

I think this comic sums up the first half of the game rather nicely.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

To be fair, DeRosso hasn't really talked to the party yet beyond blowing them up on his way to make a visit to Braev.

Also, it's a little strange that his name is so similar to DeRosa's.
Guess who kept confusing the two for most of the rest of the game after meeting DeRosso?

hey girl you up posted:

First... half? We're only halfway through this? Good god.
Maybe more like 2/3? The rest of the game will probably feel shorter in the LP than it will actually playing it, though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Blademaster_Aio posted:

I never got the impression that his power was taken away from him from this conversation.
The "And now, fifteen years have passed since you rid yourself of me by naming me archduke" line does seem to imply it at least. Maybe not taken away from him, but he might have been moved out of the way.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

FoolyCharged posted:

Dang when you said bm supplement you weren't kidding. Half those skills only work with a black mage secondary...
The status effect skills also combine with Salve-Maker, who can use Compounding/Turn Toxic to inflict status effects.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

kw0134 posted:

So Sage Yulyana, wanna explain your words? Maybe clear up any misunderstandings?

No? See you later I guess. :nallears:
At least he has kind of an excuse in that he just broke you out of jail by blowing up the door, so you (and he) probably need to get out of there quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Maybe, considering he's on the Council of Six, he doesn't want to go Dynasty Warriors on the Eternian Army for reasons other than lacking the power to do so?