Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Elite posted:

When the earth is crumbling away beneath people's feet I think being on an airship is one of the places that gives you a better chance at longevity.

That or some kind of sky temple.

Till you run out of fuel that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Agnes is me at the start of every video game, lost and naive with no sense of direction.

I actually like to believe Tiz is helping Agnes just so he can forget about the pain. Like he has to be useful to someone, for some sense of purpose since he lost everything.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Anges should be our monk.

Because the peace loving vestal should be the one to punch things to death via frontal assault!

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

The asterisk gets an explanation in game from how it got its name and where it was made.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Dr. Fetus posted:

The stat differences are completely negligible unless you are trying to optimize to a ridiculous degree. The stat changes the Jobs provide usually make up for it.

Also, first time I played this, I thought those two were gonna be recurring minibosses. So I was pretty surprised when it turned out that you actually killled them.

I was shocked that the farm boy and the vestal actually 'killed' to begin with. Or you can just interpret it as 'fought hard in self defence and then managed to hit some vital spot' that killed them.

Tiz and Agnes sure don't act like they, you know, killed someone, even in self defence.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I love how Agnes' immediate reply to Ringabel is 'Unacceptable!'

I laughed at him.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Xander77 posted:

What's happening in that screenshot?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Edea's catchphrase.

Edea's way of showing she's ready to boil over.

Usually what follows is violence, if Edea doesn't get her way. Usually.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I only care about what makes the game fun. I generally dislike grinding, but in certain games, the long way is very nice. But in BD, I also toned down the encounter rate as soon as I decided I need more plot.

Actually I love how you can influence the encounter rate. Random encounters are some of the things I really hate in these video games.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Well, I wouldn't trust the Sky Knights either. Who sends people like them anyway?

Anyway, the world isn't white and black, but it definitely looks that way because of how the sky knights behave.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

theshim posted:

Really the only way to decide who does what is to judge purely on how good/stupid they look in the jobs.

Bravely Default is a game about dressing two guys and two girls up in fancy costumes and everything else is filler content.

I agree. I'm sure this is how I played 100%

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Ah, our first falling out. Can't expect everyone to get along all the time.

I actually like the game's story most of the time.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

There's actually a Final Fantasy game, Final Fantasy V to be precise, where the party tries to use Curaga, Life, a Phoenix Down, and an Elixir on a dying party member.

It doesn't take.

I was angry it didn't. :(

Magic is useless when you really need it.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

It never goes well. Ever. You can tell the enemy knows we are here.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

The king's opening speech is enough to tell you everything about him: he needs a few good knocks to the head, you know, to remind him what exactly his job is.

Then there is the sidequest french accent man who is literally the black to Edea's idealistic white. If you were ever going to say black and white, it'll be here, in this place.

The one thing I liked about the sequel is how character development exists. Basically from Default to Second, there is plenty of character improvement that happened. Not that you would know if you didn't play Bravely Default first.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

This is why Mr. Profit here is trash. Un-recyclable, poisoned trash that should be eradicated from the face of the planet.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Come on, the water joke wasn't THAT bad. :v:

It was terrible. How does he have the audacity to commit such an atrocity as a flat joke!

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

MechaCrash posted:

Why would you sign the incriminating document detailing your conspiracy? :psyduck:

Hilariously, this line gets brought up in the game itself. Which makes it funnier... but let's leave it at that, because spoilers.

Also, I told you guys cartoon villain profit hat was a waste of space. For telling bad jokes, and for making people suffer for the sake of his profit.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Well, if you have money to burn, you can provide bp to your other party members. Merchants also has skill that lets you earn money. It is my least favourite job though.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Not sure if it's been brought up yet, but whenever characters talk about "pg" in the voiceacting it's pronounced "peeg." It's silly as hell :3:

What would you pronounce it as?

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Pieces of gold, gold pieces, something along those lines? At least they're not GP being prounced as "Jeep" :v:

Oh. I just thought pg was the currency, like $, £, €, ¥ or Rs... well, it is, since the game calls it 'peeg'.

Before it was pronounced I read it as gold or 'g'.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

The bow is my favourite weapon.

I never really bothered with stealing. Why steal, when I could attack?

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Junpei posted:

Game Designer A: Okay, do we have a boss for the dungeon where you get the thread?
Game Designer B: Uhhhhhhhh.... No.
Game Designer C: How about a random dragon?
Game Designer A: Works for me!

Pretty much how it went. Random elite mook boss.

Blind Duke posted:

It was at this cave that I realized only man-made structures have secret halls and caves like this do not

after a lot of grinding against walls with the encounter rate set to 0

But caves can have secret passageways. Like a hidden off beat path...
Actually I never found any secret passages ever. I didn't even look very hard for them.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I think Big Pharma is the skill where you can just attack - heal - attack - heal for pg.

I definitely understand the need for more money in every video game.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I think I got it in Chapter 5?

But it's kinda boring. Really boring.

I spent just enough time on it to upgrade my equipment (or to buy that one bow that unlocks in Norende).

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Probably the best part in video games is when you get to shut up that one arrogant guy who thinks he's above everyone else.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

The King would be a better king, if he wasn't so childish about Agnes being more loved and stuff.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Commander Keene posted:

He's apparently one of those atheists who straight-up campaigns for the abolishment of all religions because they're "holding humanity back", rather than simply an attention whore.

And a part of him is, "It's me who did this! Praise ME!"

And also he threw a fit over Agnes restoring faith in the masses. This is after the lies he spread about her.

It's fine if he wants to advance his nation, but he made his people suffer in the process, which is... unacceptable.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Commander Keene posted:

Notice I said "rather than simply an attention whore". He's a politician, he wants the credit for what he accomplishes, don't get me wrong. But there's a bit more to him than just "the vestal is more popular than me! i must KILL HER AND DESTROY HER WHOLE RELIGION!".

Yes there is more to him than that.

But we're gonna kill him anyway.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

He knows Agnes, at least. And Agnes is, speaking in Edea's morality terms, pretty white. (Before we went and killed stuff with her).

But we haven't met any of the other vestals so you can't say they're all like Agnes.

It's just best to say, we don't know anything about them just yet because we're still in Agnes home turf.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Of course he had to show up when Ringabel went on his merry way. Seriously.

The timings of villain sneak attacks are terrible, you know.

Also, the time mage outfits are ugly. That head gear is really bad.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Commander Keene posted:

I suppose how good or bad his sneak attack timing is depends upon which side of his blade you're on.

hey girl you up posted:

Yes, so strange that a new character would come by when the amnesiac is conveniently missing for an incredibly stupid reason.

Now, the question is: very dumb plot contrivance, intentional on the part of Rinagbel or Dim, or truly a coincidence? I'm gonna go with number 1 for now.

I guess he could be spying on us and waited for the fourth guy to leave before attacking us... maybe.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Omobono posted:

Considering Ringabel's diary and the amnesia, plus some of the details in that diary, I'm calling it now: Ringabel is an alternate Alternis from the future.
Although, sine there wasn't a Ringabel described int the diary, the time loop doesn't seem to be stable.

But... Edea says she grew up together with Alternis Dim.

She doesn't seem to know Ringabel at all.

For all we know, that 'diary' could be a gift from one of Ringabel's many female acquaintances.

Also, for those of you who do know the answer...

No story spoilers.

Blademaster_Aio fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 8, 2017

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Florem was my least favourite arc. I seriously dislike some people here.

But on the other hand, it has two of my favourite job classes.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

The time mage outfit was my main motivation for unlocking the freelancer outfits using Norende.

There is another job in this chapter with the same problem.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Glazius posted:

Yeah, I can't imagine this is going to be at all enjoyable for anyone.

The things we do for plot progression.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's a shame that no other party chat tops Fashionaaaaabluh.

You had to remind me. :negative:
:(

It's great Tiz and Edea exist.

Also, fashionaaabluh sounds like "fashion-blah" in my mind. The hip kids in Edea's town are trying way to hard to be cool.

That party chat is gold though. Agnes and Tiz are so practical minded compared to the fashionaaabluh Edea and Ringabel.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

To be honest, I've always found Tiz kind of plain, but I do think he and Agnes help balance out Ringabel and Edea pretty well.

I meant for the next scene.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

...isn't the bigger problem that the Grand Marshal's daughter who grew up with this dark knight, who this dark knight is sweet on, doesn't recognize Ringabel? I mean, she doesn't comment on his looks at all.

Maybe Alternis waited for Ringabel to leave before springing his trap. You know, three vs one with Edea hostage sounds bad, but he figured the vestal couldn't fight, so he waited for one guy to leave, stopped the other, to 'rescue' Edea.

Maybe Ringabel stole this journal from somebody, who then blasted him in retaliation which gave him amnesia. Or something.

Blademaster_Aio fucked around with this message at 09:23 on May 6, 2017

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Mundetiam posted:

Everyone knows fantasy Dark Knights don't remove their armor the moment they put it on for life.

Cecil needed his magical alien dad to pry that poo poo off after some soul searching.

In other words, Alternis face is a helmet. Sad, but true. Must make eating super hard, maybe that's why he's so dramatic. "Edea betrayed us!"

Well, all the guys on your side are on Edea's pitch black list, and they don't ever bother redeeming themselves. Who put them in charge?

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

The way the art style of this game is, and considering Victoria is on the council of six, I honestly did not realise she looked like a little girl till that Florem npc commented on her.

I mean, she's floating in the air. She looks like some strange creature rather than a little girl. I think it's her hair. It's looks larger than her body. Along with that head piece she wears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

The ranger job. I really love the class skills and the fact I use a bow and stuff...

But the outfits are pretty strange. The cutscenes look incredibly odd with them. I think this was my main motivation to grab the freelancer outfits from Norende shops.