Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Wait is that real? So Trump basically shouted at Turnbull for about 20 minutes and then hung up on him when he wanted to change the subject?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

open24hours posted:

This reads like fanfiction, but still, lol.

Imagine a plum mouthed toff like Turnbull trying to have a conversation with Donald trump, carnival barker

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

quote:

At one point Trump informed Turnbull that he had spoken with four other world leaders that day — including Russian President Vladi­mir Putin — and that, “This was the worst call by far.”

quote:

“This is the worst deal ever,” Trump fumed as Turnbull attempted to confirm that the United States would honor its pledge to take in 1,250 refugees from an Australian detention center. Trump, who one day earlier had signed an executive order temporarily barring the admissions of refugees, complained that he was “going to get killed” politically and accused Australia of seeking to export the “next Boston bombers.”

SAD DEALS

SAD

YOU'RE FIRED

MUH CROWDS!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

*Turnbull tries to speak but is interrupted by an airhorn and sitcom laughter*

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Federal parliament complicit in property money laundering

By Leith van Onselen

Last week we got confirmation that dodgy Chinese money continues to pile into Australian property:

Australian financial intelligence officials last year investigated more than $3.3 billion of suspect transfers by Chinese investors — including $1bn invested in property…

The figures lay bare the scale of Chinese investment in the Australian property market as well as the concerns of officials in Beijing and Australia about investors rorting foreign ownership regulations…

Austrac’s own reporting… found that the most property-­related fund transfers from China reported to the agency were linked to Victoria, followed by NSW …sources say rorting is rife, with foreign buyers using a variety of scams to get their money out of China…

At their most basic, the scams involve using a network of friends and family members to transfer multiples of $US50,000 into Australia, where it is collected and used by a trusted agent to buy property.

More sophisticated scams ­involve buying homes through a web of incorporated companies or through Chinese permanent residents. Neither entity is ­restricted by conditions on property purchases.

Today there’s more confirmation, with reports emerging that there has been a huge surge in foreign buyers paying cash for off-the-plan apartments. From The AFR:

The proportion of foreign investors paying cash to settle new Melbourne apartment acquisitions has surged to more than 35 per cent…

Nick Holuigue, a partner in law firm Maddocks’s development practice, said there had been an “unusually high percentage of cash buyers”…

Evan Cathcart, a director at Three Sixty Property Group, which sells apartments and townhouses off-the-plan into China (including Ikebana) said there had been a “huge surge in cash buyers in the past 12 months or so”…

A Melbourne-based Chinese estate agent who asked not to be named said it was quite possible that Chinese buyers were paying 100 per cent cash for new apartments.

“While there are capital controls, there are tons of ways to get around it. My partners having used these channels to transfer cash across for Melbourne purchases. If these buyers have enough connections on the Chinese side, it can be done,” he said.

Under Australia’s existing Anti-Money Laundering (AML) regime [the first tranche implemented in 2006], only financial institutions are required to report suspicious transactions to Austrac.

The Turnbull Government recently deferred indefinitely the promised second tranche implementation of AML rules for real estate gate-keepers, which have been in limbo since the federal government first promised to bring them into the regulatory in 2003. This deferral came despite explicit criticism from the global regulator, the Paris-based Financial Action Taskforce, that Australian homes are a haven for laundered funds, particularly from China, as well as similar warnings from Austrac.

The end result is that realtors, lawyers, accountants and other real estate gate keepers are currently exempted from AML requirements. And this exemption has provided an easy avenue for foreign buyers to launder funds through Australian property.

Perversely, if somebody wants to set up an account to place a $100 bet at Sportsbet, or invest $1,000 into a managed fund, then they must provide sufficient identification under the AML Act. But if they want to launder millions of dollars through an Australian home, few questions are asked. It makes no sense.

Clearly, the Australian Government is tacitly complicit with the dirty foreign money flooding into Australian property. The Coalition has already shown its hand in deferring the implementation of the second tranche. But where are Labor and The Greens on this issue? Why won’t they lobby to end a decade of neglect and bring Australia’s real estate gatekeepers into the AML net – as demanded by FATF and Austrac, promised by the federal government in 2003, and intended when the AML legislation was first drafted in 2006?

Will our politicians please stand up?

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2017/02/federal-parliament-complicit-property-money-laundering/

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Watching Turnbull lose his cool live on tv is great.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

quote:

Perversely, if somebody wants to set up an account to place a $100 bet at Sportsbet, or invest $1,000 into a managed fund, then they must provide sufficient identification under the AML Act. But if they want to launder millions of dollars through an Australian home, few questions are asked. It makes no sense.

It makes perfect sense. There's one rule for us and no rules for them. The kickbacks the Libs must be getting must be astronomical, but difficult to justify on the actual accounts.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Hmmm this is true you know.

Fame, fortune, and the decimation and dispossession of white Australia would be close to the top of my genie wishlist

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

gays, fatties and women are the main funny things in life. Fuck those lefty tumblrfuck fags, I'll laugh at poofs and abbos if I want to
https://m.soundcloud.com/user-456894491/150117-intromusic-conez-the-2017-re-up-show-doh-requiem-for-the-forgottena-celebration

Brand new Auspol episode for y'all, wherein we ta kle Trump's election, arguing with parents, nihilism, my experiences with unprotected homosexual chemsex, the Queens blood transfusion, the beauty of Islam, the glorious bleakness of nature and how all human problems can be traced back to Mommy issues.

Enjoy, you will learn something

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Watching Turnbull lose his cool live on tv is great.

Where has he done it now?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Isn't Chemsex having sex while on Meth?

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

Ian Winthorpe III posted:

https://m.soundcloud.com/user-456894491/150117-intromusic-conez-the-2017-re-up-show-doh-requiem-for-the-forgottena-celebration

Brand new Auspol episode for y'all, wherein we ta kle Trump's election, arguing with parents, nihilism, my experiences with unprotected homosexual chemsex, the Queens blood transfusion, the beauty of Islam, the glorious bleakness of nature and how all human problems can be traced back to Mommy issues.

Enjoy, you will learn something

Definitely not listening to this garbage.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Where has he done it now?

I'm talking about the questions after his energy speech.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/826960992290562048

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I bet Trump would get along great with Tony.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Pinterest Mom posted:

I bet Trump would get along great with Tony.

Not at all, as Tony wanted to shirtfront Trump's best mate, Putin

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I'm still giggling at the thought of Turnbull shoveling one and three-quarter million dollars of his own money into the election and squeaking in by a single seat

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

adamantium|wang posted:

I'm still giggling at the thought of Turnbull shoveling one and three-quarter million dollars of his own money into the election and squeaking in by a single seat

Hopefully we boot the Top Hat off the Monopoly board next election and replace him with whatever Monopoly piece Shorten is....

The Dog?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

adamantium|wang posted:

Makes his petulant meltdown of an acceptance speech even funnier.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Anidav posted:

Hopefully we boot the Top Hat off the Monopoly board next election and replace him with whatever Monopoly piece Shorten is....

The Dog?

Probably the iron.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Turnbull declined to comment on the report, saying the resettlement deal remained on track and it was best that conversations between leaders remained private.

“I’m not going to comment on the conversation,” Turnbull told reporters in Melbourne. “During the course of the conversation, as you know and it was confirmed by the president’s official spokesman, the president assured me that he would continue with, honour the agreement we entered into with the Obama administration, with respect to refugee resettlement.”

Asked whether Trump had hung up on him, Turnbull again declined to comment, but he suggested he had argued Australia’s corner. “Australians know me very well. I always stand up for Australia in every forum.”

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Trump leaked that report to humiliate Turnball. Humiliation!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Turnbull is getting an utter caning on Twitter, as expected, but surely the juicy stuff is on catallaxy

quote:

Between refugees, Paris Climate Agreement and TPP mis-steps what sort of reception did Muppet Turnbull think he was going to get…and now the whole world knows exactly what Trump thinks of our lefist PM…time for Bernardi /Hanson and Rinehart to takes Australian politics into the 21st century?

Yes, they know who'd fix things.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Lid posted:

Turnbull declined to comment on the report, saying the resettlement deal remained on track and it was best that conversations between leaders remained private.

People just silently accept this but I think it's bullshit tbh

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Senator Bernardi dismissed as “gossip” renewed suggestions that he was poised to quit the Liberal Party, but close allies of the ­conservative said his long-time flirtation with the idea of a new conservative party had now ­advanced to “active dating”.

ewwww

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Senior Australian Government sources have confirmed Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and US President Donald Trump had a "robust" and shorter than expected phone call, which Mr Trump reportedly labelled "the worst by far" of a clutch of calls to world leaders.

heheehehee

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I wish Trump would just come out and say something to the effect of "the refugees are already in Australia, they should take them"

starkebn fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 2, 2017

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
Newsflash: when Trump says he wants to "put America first" and gently caress the rest of the world he actually meant it.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Anidav posted:

The Dog?

Shorten is the generic, plastic counter that's there because you lost one of the proper pieces but who can be hosed actually ordering a replacement?

On another note, has "robust" ever not been a signifier for "poo poo"? No one describes anything good as "robust".

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 2, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Particularly well manufactured robot tiddies.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I think I remember someone describing a stew as robust on the tele once.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Stew probably sucked.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Billboard van and a bunch of Lib supporters down the road from me advertising for Peter Abetz. On a side road, not even the main drag. WA election is go I guess

How does he compare to his totally-not-a-nazi brother?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Wasn't he the one that was an 'out' nazi? Or was that another of Abetz' brothers?

e:Yes it was. He thinks his Nazi war criminal great uncle did positive things because he saved French art.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Paingod556 posted:

Billboard van and a bunch of Lib supporters down the road from me advertising for Peter Abetz. On a side road, not even the main drag. WA election is go I guess

How does he compare to his totally-not-a-nazi brother?

"I think it was one of mixed reaction in that he did some really positive things but he also did participate in, you know, the deportation of the Jews which is really, there's no excuse for that whatsoever and yet he also did some very positive things," Abetz said after host Jenny Brockie asked how he felt when he discovered the family's Nazi past.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

He was one of the good Nazis except for the Jew murdering bit. Just like we have good politicians except for the refugee murdering bit. It's like Godwin made that law for us.

Keating needs to be made High Commissioner for Sledging. Chief duty: answering phone calls from foreign leaders. What kind of tin pot country are we that the only thing we can threaten anyone with is to not be their friend and maybe be besties with China?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/827002559122567168

What a schemozzle.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

:stare:

Hopefully the swing towards Labor in the federal election happens again in the state one (Burt / Southern River)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
There's a thing in my university library which is like "Australia Day, what does it mean to you?" and some nerd has written "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD" like lol dude calm down

also there are Myrtle Park/Antifaschistische Aktion stickers popping up around Brisbane at the moment, wow.

• Locked thread