Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

I'm laughing so hard at "I will study this dumb deal"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
As soon as Sean Spicer made that dumb comment about the refugee deal, I knew it was off cause Trump reeeaaaaally hates brown people

also lol @ Turnbull hitching his wagon to a guy who literally said it was the worst conversation. hahahahhaahaha

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Turnbull probably has to back Trump or Bernardi will have a tantrum and quit.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/826996882744373249

Oh my

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Recoome posted:

As soon as Sean Spicer made that dumb comment about the refugee deal, I knew it was off cause Trump reeeaaaaally hates brown people

also lol @ Turnbull hitching his wagon to a guy who literally said it was the worst conversation. hahahahhaahaha

Turnbull NEEDED a win in his own mind, and this refugee deal was it, getting brown people off our shores! So he's been adamanetly fighting reality on it and being a coward who refused to rock the boat because drat it we need to appease Trump and give him Czechslovakia so he doesn't attack us next.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Wow at all the twitter bots hash tagging it as fake news immediately

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Amoeba102 posted:

Turnbull probably has to back Trump or Bernardi will have a tantrum and quit.

And go where? He only has influence because he's in the party.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Anidav posted:

Wow at all the twitter bots hash tagging it as fake news immediately

It seems conservatives have been hiring robot supporters for awhile but Trump has amassed a Skynet

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

REALTALK: The most amazing thing which has recently happened is that the narrative of "limp-wristed leftists" or whatever is being smashed as hard as Nazi's face and now it's all about "Left wing hate free speech :qq:" or whatever which is just loving laffo

Like if you are a nazi/fascist in Amerikkka at the moment and don't have all your nazi buds with you, you end up flat on the footpath and it's even a meme now

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

open24hours posted:

And go where? He only has influence because he's in the party.

I'm not making the case that Bernardi is a smart man. Though the threat of quitting is just to dump Turnbull at some point down the road anyway.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

My favourite part about it is that they're still trying to use the, 'look at the tolerant left :rolleyes:' thing, but it's been so overused in the last decade even 'centrist' libs kneejerk defend punching Nazis in the face.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Recoome posted:

REALTALK: The most amazing thing which has recently happened is that the narrative of "limp-wristed leftists" or whatever is being smashed as hard as Nazi's face and now it's all about "Left wing hate free speech :qq:" or whatever which is just loving laffo

Like if you are a nazi/fascist in Amerikkka at the moment and don't have all your nazi buds with you, you end up flat on the footpath and it's even a meme now

Did you go to the counter rally on Sunday?
I had to work that day but I would have liked to have gone

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

My favourite part about it is that they're still trying to use the, 'look at the tolerant left :rolleyes:' thing, but it's been so overused in the last decade even 'centrist' libs kneejerk defend punching Nazis in the face.

insert here respectful hitler mspaint

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

sick of Applebees posted:

Did you go to the counter rally on Sunday?
I had to work that day but I would have liked to have gone

I did not, it looks like it was a wet fart of about 20 people and it's not really presence building for them or anything. The event was in the middle of bumfuck nowhere (Logan) and there was an extremely heavy police presence because these guys are now walking punch magnets.

e: The people who'd usually counter-protest these things weren't down for it. It was a few days after the ~massive~ invasion day protests in Brisbane so it basically flew under the radar. If they try poo poo in Brisbane proper, I am sure a counter-protest will materialise

:siren:In other news:siren:

If anyone is interested, this is the counter-protest to a Anti-Choice/Anti-Abortion march which is occurring on Sat the 11th of Feb. This was previously a private event while we were doing the groundwork, but we've decided to make it public due to the large amount of support we are receiving. I am sort of shadow advising/planning because as a white guy I don't want to be taking the lead for what is essentially a women's rights thing.

While this is a counter-protest, it's going to be pretty benign because the opposition will be the usual suspects who HATE abortions and poo poo, and it's it's really crucial that we oppose this kind of poo poo because the QLD Parliament will be debating decriminalising abortion in February. Currently, the LNP are completely opposed to decriminalising abortion, so it's down to the ALP and independents in order to get this running (I think PHON are against it).

Recoome fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 2, 2017

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Recoome posted:

Haha yeah, I've been seeing some good poo poo from todays protest of the yabbadabbadopilis talk at UC Berkley

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

but then something strange happened. it turned out that it was actually the alt-right that needed a safe space.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
It's kinda amazing how much work, money, and bother has gone into keeping an ultimately small number of refugees out of the country.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Historic phone call between Trump and Turnbull cut short by Telstra outage – The Betoota Advocate

A number of news outlets around the world have reported that the historic phone call between US President Donald Trump and Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull ended when the American sanctimoniously hung up on the Member for Wentworth.

That’s simply untrue, according to the PM’s Office – who was quick to blame the nationwide Telstra outage for the call’s premature end.

“When the call dropped out, Mr Turnbull threw the phone across his office Russel Crowe-style,” said one of the prime ministerial aids.

“He tried to flip his desk over but ultimately settled for throwing his chair into a bookshelf.”

Echoing the aid’s sentiments, Deputy PM Barnaby Joyce was in the PM’s foyer waiting for an appointment with Mr Turnbull when the commotion began.

Speaking to The Advocate in great detail, the Member for New England agreed that Telstra had dropped the ball.

“Mate, I couldn’t even load my Snapchats up while I was waiting for the bastard,” said Joyce. “Couldn’t even look at Instagram either. I just had to scroll through old photos and play a bit of Buck Hunter. I might as well have been waiting in my top paddock.”

The Advocate reached out to Telecom for comment, but have yet to receive a reply.

More to come.

http://www.betootaadvocate.com/uncategorized/historic-phone-call-between-trump-and-turnbull-cut-short-by-telstra-outage/

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh the Advocado. :allears:

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
Prime trolling by Culleton while we weren't looking.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/02/02/ashby-one-nations-leader-culleton

quote:

Ashby is One Nation's leader: Culleton

Rod Culleton says Pauline Hanson's One Nation is being swallowed up by the Liberal Party thanks to the work of her chief of staff James Ashby.

The former One Nation senator, who quit the party before being ejected from the Senate in January, says Mr Ashby is the party's real leader.

Under his leadership, One Nation is allowing the Liberals to "put its tentacles over it and shove its DNA into it and become part of the Liberal Party".

"That's why I got out," he told AAP on Thursday.

"I call him the party leader."

Several dumped One Nation candidates have claimed Senator Hanson is a puppet under the control of Mr Ashby.

Shan Ju Lin, who was disendorsed after a series of anti-LGBTI posts on social media, has urged Senator Hanson to sack Mr Ashby because he is exerting a dangerous level of control and poses a threat to One Nation's grassroots support.

Those comments were echoed by ex-candidate Peter Rogers, who was dumped over an online post alleging the Port Arthur massacre and the drowning of a Syrian toddler were fabrications.

Senator Hanson has been contacted for comment but has previously defended Mr Ashby as a trusted advisor, insisting no one should be in any doubt about who is in charge.

Mr Culleton was stripped of his West Australian Senate seat in December after the Federal Court declared him bankrupt, a decision he is appealing.

Meanwhile, the High Court sitting as the Court of Disputed Returns will on Friday hand down its judgment on whether he was eligible to have been elected in the first place, given he had been convicted of larceny at the time of the July 2 election.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

even 'centrist' libs kneejerk defend punching Nazis in the face.
I wish this were actually the case.

----------

Australian PM tried to call back four times, won't take a hint, told secretary to say I'm washing Ivanka's hair. Sad!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Solemn Sloth posted:

I wish this were actually the case.

Definitely seen it when that specific line's used. There's still a huge amount of them talking about how great Ghandi and Martin Luther Claus jr are.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Recoome posted:

While this is a counter-protest, it's going to be pretty benign because the opposition will be the usual suspects who HATE abortions and poo poo, and it's it's really crucial that we oppose this kind of poo poo because the QLD Parliament will be debating decriminalising abortion in February. Currently, the LNP are completely opposed to decriminalising abortion, so it's down to the ALP and independents in order to get this running (I think PHON are against it).

Speaking of abortion and Trump, I had never even heard of this before, but apparently it's a thing all Republican presidents do:

quote:

Trump Didn’t Just Reinstate the Global Gag Rule. He Massively Expanded It.

On Monday morning, Donald Trump, surrounded by a group of smiling white men, signed an executive order banning foreign nongovernmental organizations that receive certain kinds of American aid from counseling health clients about abortion or advocating for abortion law liberalization.

Supporters of international reproductive rights were disappointed but not surprised. Ronald Reagan first issued the so-called Mexico City policy in 1984, stripping U.S. family planning funds from groups involved with abortion, and ever since, every Republican president has reinstated it.

By Monday’s end, however, people who work on global reproductive health and rights were reeling. Trump, it eventually emerged, hadn’t simply revived the so-called global gag rule. Quietly, with so little publicity that activists weren’t aware until someone saw the new language in a tweeted image, Trump had massively expanded the rule. Suzanne Ehlers, president and CEO of the global reproductive health organization PAI, says it’s the global gag rule “on steroids.”

In the past, the global gag rule meant that foreign NGOs must disavow any involvement with abortion in order to receive U.S. family planning funding. Trump’s version of the global gag rule expands the policy to all global health funding. According to Ehlers, the new rule means that rather than impacting $600 million in U.S. foreign aid, the global gag rule will affect $9.5 billion.

Organizations working on AIDS, malaria, or maternal and child health will have to make sure that none of their programs involves so much as an abortion referral. Geeta Rao Gupta, a senior fellow at the United Nations Foundation who previously served as deputy executive director of UNICEF, gives the example of HIV/AIDS clinics that get U.S. funding to provide antiretrovirals: “If they’re giving advice to women on what to do if they’re pregnant and HIV positive, giving them all the options that exist, they cannot now receive money from the U.S.”

Ann Starrs, president of the Guttmacher Institute, says her staff feared social conservatives on the Trump team might push to broaden the global gag rule. Others, however, are stunned at the move. “It wasn’t unexpected that they would reinstate the global gag rule, but the dramatic expansion of the scope of it is truly shocking,” says Gupta. Some in international reproductive and sexual health circles are speculating that the new policy is Trump’s way of lashing out at the millions of women who marched against him on Saturday. “I would not necessarily be surprised if it were a reaction to the women’s marches,” Evertz says. “Although applying the global gag rule to PEPFAR’s programs ill affects millions of men as well,” since HIV/AIDS programs that treat entire communities could face defunding.

Why even have a House or Senate, anymore when Trump can do all this? May as well disband them all.

Let the regional governors have direct control over their territories. Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 2, 2017

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Imploding even faster than Palmer??

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Gorilla Salad posted:

Speaking of abortion and Trump, I had never even heard of this before, but apparently it's a thing all Republican presidents do:

Why even have a House or Senate, anymore when Trump can do all this? May as well disband them all.

Let the regional governors have direct control over their territories. Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station.

holy poo poo

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

yikes

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

Americans are loving stupid. All that noise and BS about freedom and they choose a demagogue who'll poo poo on the rights of 50% of the planet just because he can.

The SCOTUS pick puts Democrats in a bind because while they can certainly contest it (under the arcane rules of cloture), he's likely to be a Scalia replacement (actually considered to the RIGHT of Scalia), and maybe pick another battle or risk the Republicans going nuclear again, tearing up the rules and just flat-out ignoring the Democrats from now on. And there's roughly 5 Democrats in red states, but a whole bunch more who are extremely blue and will want to fight it just so they have a shot at the nomination down the road. But all this pales against a lunatic with enablers who is doing 5 crazy things a day.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

ewe2 posted:

Americans are loving stupid. All that noise and BS about freedom and they choose a demagogue who'll poo poo on the rights of 50% of the planet just because he can.

The SCOTUS pick puts Democrats in a bind because while they can certainly contest it (under the arcane rules of cloture), he's likely to be a Scalia replacement (actually considered to the RIGHT of Scalia), and maybe pick another battle or risk the Republicans going nuclear again, tearing up the rules and just flat-out ignoring the Democrats from now on. And there's roughly 5 Democrats in red states, but a whole bunch more who are extremely blue and will want to fight it just so they have a shot at the nomination down the road. But all this pales against a lunatic with enablers who is doing 5 crazy things a day.

When is the right battle for the Democrats though? It seems like they have just sat around while the Republicans gradually implement fascism.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ewe2 posted:

Opposing the SCOTUS pick is going to be difficult for them because unlike most of Trump's cabinet he's clearly qualified on paper and doesn't have any obvious red flags (so far). He's the kinda of judge that literally any Republican president in 2017 might pick.

Which means Trump had very little to do with it outside of just listening to Sessions.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

the battle was literally last 2/3 years so now everything is just catch-up

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Opposing the SCOTUS pick is going to be difficult for them because unlike most of Trump's cabinet he's clearly qualified on paper and doesn't have any obvious red flags (so far).

Which means Trump had very little to do with it outside of just listening to Sessions.

Daily Mail saying he founded a political club called Fascism Forever! When he was in school. He also chose the 'the illegal we do immediately, the unconstitutional etc.' Kissinger quote for his yearbook. Pretty big red flags.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Daily Mail saying he founded a political club called Fascism Forever! When he was in school. He also chose the 'the illegal we do immediately, the unconstitutional etc.' Kissinger quote for his yearbook. Pretty big red flags.
It's why I said "so far".

I'm waiting until someone other than the Daily Mail picks up on it though.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Putting a literal fascist on the bench for thirty years is probably a good place to stand and fight because if not then, when?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That was boring I was hoping Credlin would come out with some Turnbull burn but nothing happened

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedOzPol/status/827042961477115904

:rimshot:

Mad Katter posted:

When is the right battle for the Democrats though? It seems like they have just sat around while the Republicans gradually implement fascism.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Opposing the SCOTUS pick is going to be difficult for them because unlike most of Trump's cabinet he's clearly qualified on paper and doesn't have any obvious red flags (so far). He's the kinda of judge that literally any Republican president in 2017 might pick.

Yeah he's to the right of Scalia, as I said. The only good thing about this is that he just slots into an existing power structure 4 pro-liberal, 4 pro-conservative, 1 centrist. It gets interesting if a non-conservative dies or retires.

There is no right battle for the Democrats, either you look at it and say may as well oppose now since they'll throw away the rulebook or you don't oppose and look bad. But if they do oppose now, and the rulebook is thrown away, that means they can't use it if another judge goes. That's the calculation aside from individual Democrat ambitions. Once that rulebook goes, they can do literally nothing because GOP will just steamroll everything. They literally may as well not even turn up then.

So, to keep their options open for SCOTUS they may have to tread carefully, but I think that something else will trigger the nuclear option and they'll be hosed anyway. At this point, I'd be working hard at the State level of opposition since that's likely to be the way to really put SCOTUS in a bind. The fear is also that if they don't get their way, GOP will nobble courts.

Interesting loving times eh. Also, go China! Because the US became the bad option.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I really hope they do oppose him but given how they've caved on loving crazy poo poo like Carson or DeVos I don't hold much hope. It's difficult for them because they're way too tied to the idea of looking respectable and sensible and bipartisan.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

No it's gone way beyond that. There's no hope of bipartisanship, all that is going to matter is how good you look being steamrolled every day. It's going to be literally which votes did you oppose, why did you abstain, you didn't take the fight to them etc etc.

Really the only slender hope is that the GOP massively overdo it and get a huge backlash from all quarters. I don't see a great improvement in the midterms, GOP should have gerrymandered that quite well by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

If the democrats can't manage to win back congress with two years of trump under their belt they should just log off and walk into the ocean.

• Locked thread