Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

hooman posted:

Yeah for sure, fair enough, I should say what some big unions have become.

Nah I get what you mean, it's sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Don't diss the ETU, they're owning lately

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Hey, as long as we're in union chat, what's a good one for a university library assistant in NSW? Not in poo poo, just want to be covered if I get injured to/from work.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Starshark posted:

Hey, as long as we're in union chat, what's a good one for a university library assistant in NSW? Not in poo poo, just want to be covered if I get injured to/from work.

I guess NTEU is the right one.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

JBP posted:

I guess NTEU is the right one.

NTEU are a good union if you can join them

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Are we in recession yet?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Zenithe posted:

Are we in recession yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVJ5kRDdjQc

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Gerry Harvey has called Amazon a parasite who adds nothing to society :ironicat:

He also said the government should enact a ban to stop them coming in "like Donald trump with the Muslims"

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Gerry Harvey has called Amazon a parasite who adds nothing to society :ironicat:

He also said the government should enact a ban to stop them coming in "like Donald trump with the Muslims"

Bloody parasites creating competition in retail!

e: I will say that I'm a bit on the fence about Amazon--on the one hand, more competition and lower prices. On the other hand, will they pay any company tax in Australia?

on the other other hand, how much company tax do Harvey Norman and Gerry Harvey pay in Australia?

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 28, 2017

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Hanson: It's Time

Grimey Drawer

The Before Times posted:

Bloody parasites creating competition in retail!

e: I will say that I'm a bit on the fence about Amazon--on the one hand, more competition and lower prices. On the other hand, will they pay any company tax in Australia?

on the other other hand, how much company tax do Harvey Norman and Gerry Harvey pay in Australia?
Harvey Norman franchise pays 30% company tax on their profits like every other ASX listed company.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Solemn Sloth posted:

He's one of the last of a dying breed of big box retailers, can't wait for it to all explode in his face.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

You Am I posted:

He's one of the last of a dying breed of big box retailers, can't wait for it to all explode in his face.

Pretty sure that Harvey is just a landlord at this point, its all a big franchise scam that writes off losses on departments without affecting the parent company.
Someone posted an article bout how it worked recently.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Labor must put rising inequality at the heart of its agenda for the next federal election and consider whether a “Buffett rule” should be part of the policy mix, according to the former treasurer, Wayne Swan.

Swan will use a speech on Wednesday to the national conference of the Australian Workers Union (AWU) to argue Labor needs to seriously consider the proposal – where the highest income earners in Australia would be forced to pay a mandated minimum rate of tax. The pitch puts him at odds with the shadow treasurer, Chris Bowen.

Also gently caress Bowen

Also why didn't Swan do it in the first place.

ALP :cripes:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anidav posted:

Labor must put rising inequality at the heart of its agenda for the next federal election and consider whether a “Buffett rule” should be part of the policy mix, according to the former treasurer, Wayne Swan.

Swan will use a speech on Wednesday to the national conference of the Australian Workers Union (AWU) to argue Labor needs to seriously consider the proposal – where the highest income earners in Australia would be forced to pay a mandated minimum rate of tax. The pitch puts him at odds with the shadow treasurer, Chris Bowen.

Also gently caress Bowen

Also why didn't Swan do it in the first place.

ALP :cripes:

Swan faced a massively hostile opposition the same as the Libs should be right now, but they're not because the racist pig fucker vote is now recognised in parliament.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

norp posted:

Pretty sure that Harvey is just a landlord at this point, its all a big franchise scam that writes off losses on departments without affecting the parent company.
Someone posted an article bout how it worked recently.

Yeah the franchisees pay based on their sales, rather than their profit, so he makes money no matter what.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/sunriseon7/status/836674142443220992/video/1

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Treasury has done nothing at all to take into account the impact of cutting the wages of 600k people and claimed that was a job for the Fair Work Commission.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Bogan King posted:

Treasury has done nothing at all to take into account the impact of cutting the wages of 600k people and claimed that was a job for the Fair Work Commission.

:lol: I look forward to FWC releasing that modelling.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

The Home of Pope posted:

Canberra-based public servants are doing their work in a McDonald's fast food outlet in Armidale because there is nowhere else for them to work in the northern NSW town where they are being forced to relocate.

The national pesticides authority boss told a Senate Estimates hearing on Tuesday that she and her colleagues were using the restaurant's free wi-fi to work because they had no base in Armidale and that she was having a tough time convincing its public servants to move from Canberra to northern NSW as ordered by the Coalition government.

The Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority are now trying to recruit regulatory scientists from overseas in an effort to continue its work after the forced relocation to Armidale, in the heart of Agriculture Minister Barnaby Joyce's electorate.

It was also revealed on Tuesday at a Senate Estimates hearing that a new office block will have to be built in the northern NSW town to accommodate the agency with none of the town's existing buildings suitable.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

barnaby objects, logically pointing out that armidale got the nbn first so there's lots of office space.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Bogan King posted:

*barnaby's idiocy*

:cripes:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Not in a recession.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-01/gdp-abs-december-quarter/8313976

1.1% in the December quarter.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

As a follow on to this Joyce is now saying they chose to work from maccas. Kind of like how they chose to drink fluids to stop from dying of dehydration I guess. The only person I can see with no choice in this situation is likely to be Joyce if they didn't actually go there to work having no choice but to sack them.

Get in the bin fuckstick.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

It's morning in Australia

Our long national nightmare is over.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
But you see Work - Choices it's simple!

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I guess we can look forward to 3 months of the media fellating "ScoMo" for achieving absolutely nothing, and turning what should have been a significant turnaround into the macroeconomic equivalent of "Climate change is a hoax because it's cool today!"

4 more years.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

This honestly makes no sense to me. There are tons of cool local cafes, and a local library. All of those places would be better to work at than Mcdonalds. And it'd probably be easy to find a space to work out of at the university as well

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

noplaceforsheep.com spells out what's at stake in the centrelink doxxing incident, which deserves to be quoted in full:

quote:

The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner’s Use or disclosure of personal information regulations address this situation thus:

6.22 Examples of where an individual may reasonably expect their personal information to be used or disclosed for a secondary purpose include where:

the individual makes adverse comments in the media about the way an APP [Australian Privacy Principles] entity has treated them. In these circumstances, it may be reasonable to expect that the entity may respond publicly to these comments in a way that reveals personal information specifically relevant to the issues that the individual has raised[8]

The APPs and the APP guidelines apply from 12 March 2014 and cover both Australian Government agencies and organisations covered by the Privacy Act.

I would argue that it is never reasonable to expect that Centrelink will divulge your personal information to the media under any circumstances, and 6.22 needs to be scrapped. The paragraph makes no reference as to whether or not your adverse comments are justified. You only need to make comments Centrelink considers adverse for them to reveal your private information to the media.

Criticism of a government agency can see you stripped of all privacy. Think about that.

This should make anyone who entrusts Centrelink and other government agencies with private information, very nervous.

At the same time, if you need Centrelink assistance you have no choice but to give them all the private information they require. This is a lose-lose situation for citizens, and it is entirely unacceptable.

Andie Fox, the subject of Tudge’s vengeful action, is a middle class professional woman, like millions of others who claim Family Tax Benefit, and the millions of older Australians who claim part pensions. Tudge, in this instance, has not gone after his stereotypical welfare recipient. So don’t feel you are safe in your demographic, because you aren’t. Should you get Centrelink offside, your private information can be given to the media whether your complaints are justified or not, without any consultation or warning.

There is a website titled “Not my debt” where you’ll find page after page of adverse commentary on Centrelink. There are thousands of critical tweets. There are hundreds of articles in mainstream media and the blogosphere dedicated to adverse commentary on Centrelink. Yet Alan Tudge went after one woman.

If you think your privacy is safe with government agencies as long as you keep your mouth shut, think about what kind of country you’re living in, and what kind of person you’re becoming because of it.

Centrelink is an apolitical body. An individual’s private information held by the agency must not employed as a silencing tool by the government of the day.

In fact, Tudge's defence of this has today been refuted by his own department and the point will be chased up in estimates as potentially misleading Parliament.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/836790250168967168

https://twitter.com/srpeatling/status/836790991377969152

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/836792345983004674

https://twitter.com/cochl/status/836792402908086272

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

The only way a reduction of penalty rates could be classed as a gift is if it were coupled with a significant increase in the base rate of pay in those same awards. Anything else is just pure horse poo poo.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
No. Taking something away is never a loving gift. Give/Take are loving opposites. This is where we have gotten to in the post factual world. Black is the new white.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

loving the poor is the greatest gift of all.

Says a elected official

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Just wait for the new budget. Cuts to medicare and welfare to ensure all poors get the gift of sweet release from this planet in as expedient a manner as is affordable.

The gift of not having to live to see your children's prospects filled by drones and algorithms.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Cartoon posted:

No. Taking something away is never a loving gift. Give/Take are loving opposites. This is where we have gotten to in the post factual world. Black is the new white.

If the penalty rate is 200%, and the base is 15$, then if the penalty is reduced to 150% and the base goes up to 20$, there's no reduction, correct?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Oh my goodness.

The courier mail has come out swinging claiming these figures are due to ScoMo and PASS HIS OMNIBUS BILL ALP WAAAAASTE

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Les Affaires posted:

If the penalty rate is 200%, and the base is 15$, then if the penalty is reduced to 150% and the base goes up to 20$, there's no reduction, correct?

Are you or have you ever been an official of the Shop Distributive and Allied Employees Association?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Les Affaires posted:

At best you are balancing/redistributing/rationalising. It strains the English language beyond what it can take to suggest that reducing a penalty rate is giving anybody anything. Also your example (although obviously deliberately simple) in no way reflects the actual deals being talked about as 'gifts' The base rate generally didn't go up at all and other provisions were reduced gifted as well.

JBP posted:

Are you or have you ever been an official of the Shop Distributive and Allied Employees Association?
Perhaps the more appropriate question.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
First Dog:

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Cartoon posted:

At best you are balancing/redistributing/rationalising. It strains the English language beyond what it can take to suggest that reducing a penalty rate is giving anybody anything. Also your example (although obviously deliberately simple) in no way reflects the actual deals being talked about as 'gifts' The base rate generally didn't go up at all and other provisions were reduced gifted as well.
Perhaps the more appropriate question.

I'm not really trying to use her language, because it's poo poo language obviously. I've just been wondering about the stupidity behind the decision since it got handed down.

The only possible way this thing could have been beneficial is if the reduction in penalty rate came with a massive increase in the base rate. It didn't, so it isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

From what I remember about the SDA negotiated EBA with Coles & others was that it was found to be invalid because the agreement left Sunday workers worse off overall, which violated the policy of Fair Work (the law? idk).

So now they need to negotiate a new one and in the meantime Fair Work has gifted them a lower bar to cross in order to do so.

• Locked thread